What could Dragon Quest XII/Dragon Quest 12 be like?

Aside from Obviously Staying true to Its Formulaic Turn-based JRPG Formula;

What Could DQ12 do Different so that It stands out from the other games; to where it is Identifiable by what It Does DIFFERENTLY from the other games in the series; Like How 11 Has Pep Powers(which reminds me of Double/Triple Tech Attacks from Chrono Trigger; as they're attacks/status effects that requires the use of More than one Party member to pull it off with); Maybe Some Quality-Of-Life Changes; or a way to Speed up Gameplay; optimize it for a Modern Audience; without alienating the Core DQ fans. . .

2 hours ago, DragonQuest2IsGood said:

DQXI is the definition of QoL, how could they do that even more?

IDK?

Make Saving much faster & easier?

Make Battles quicker & simplify the U.I.?

Make it so that Weaker Enemies(I.E. Level 1 Enemies) instantly get K.O.'d when you're at a high enough level(Like in Earthbound)

DQ already has a pretty easy to understand and use UI. Can’t get much simpler than how DQ handles that. 🤣

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I know plenty of people here disagree, but I wouldn’t mind some customization options for the hero, and along with that, would like to see a job/class system come back from 6/7. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

DQ already has a pretty easy to understand and use UI. Can’t get much simpler than how DQ handles that. 🤣

but the battles can get rather time-consuming; especially if you're overleveled against a weaker enemy( My Solution for this; Do  exactly what Earthbound does when Ness & his Party encounter an underpowered enemy when they're at a high enough level; and Instantly K.O. the weakest enemies on the overworld) and have to go with the same song & dance routine; when you don't have the time to battle enemies that are significantly weaker than you that aren't even worth fighting;

Edited by ErdrickSmasherVIII

29 minutes ago, DragonQuest2IsGood said:

Like in DQIX?

Yeah, the hero doesn’t necessarily have to be a completely blank slate, but a little more customization would be cool. 

3 hours ago, ErdrickSmasherVIII said:

but the battles can get rather time-consuming; especially if you're overleveled against a weaker enemy( My Solution for this; Do  exactly what Earthbound does when Ness & his Party encounter an underpowered enemy when they're at a high enough level; and Instantly K.O. the weakest enemies on the overworld) and have to go with the same song & dance routine; when you don't have the time to battle enemies that are significantly weaker than you that aren't even worth fighting;

You can run over and instant kill enemies on horseback in DQ11 and most enemies who are weaker than you will run away as soon as they see you or will just ignore you. There are already ways to ignore and avoid battles, and with DQ11’s 3D mode having such large open areas and dungeons you can avoid monsters pretty easily anyway.

2D mode can be left as is since its supposed to replicate the old school DQ style, and in that case you have things like Holy Water and Holy Protection to help prevent encounters with weak monsters.

I thought DQ11 handled avoiding/dealing with encounters fine in whatever version you play. I don’t see what else could be added or changed to make them go faster unless they add a speed up option like DQ8 3DS had. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 5

16 hours ago, DragonQuest2IsGood said:

DQXI is the definition of QoL, how could they do that even more?

In battle short-cuts would be excellent. Being able to assign all four shoulder buttons as quick commands would save so much time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:
7 hours ago, ErdrickSmasherVIII said:

You can run over and instant kill enemies on horseback in DQ11 and most enemies who are weaker than you will run away as soon as they see you or will just ignore you. There are already ways to ignore and avoid battles, and with DQ11’s 3D mode having such large open areas and dungeons you can avoid monsters pretty easily anyway.

Ness could defeat instantly K.O. Significantly weaker enemies on Foot in Earthbound; Why couldn't 12 do the same in DQXII?

Yeah, the hero doesn’t necessarily have to be a completely blank slate, but a little more customization would be cool. 
Let us cut the #$*!ing hair!
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:
On 1/3/2021 at 7:24 AM, cprmauldin said:

Let us cut the #$*!ing hair!

Then, and only then, will DQ XI be a 10/10 game.

• Like 1

I know most (if not all) I'm listing is not related to the question, but I guess these are my hopes for Dragon Quest XII. I think a good chunk of them are unrealistic, but a man can dream, right?

• Simultaneous worldwide release from the get-go
  • Customise the protagonist's appearance (e.g. Dragon Quest IX)
  • An option to choose the protagonist's gender (i.e. Dragon Quest IX)
  • An option of choosing between the synthesised soundtrack and the orchestrated soundtrack from the get-go
  • Offer a permanent, extra save file where players can save anywhere without having to talk to a priest or nun, a Sacred Statue, etc. (e.g. Quick Save in Dragon Quest VIII (Nintendo 3DS))
  • An option of choosing between the classic UI (e.g. Dragon Quest VII) and the modern UI (e.g. Dragon Quest XI)
  • Allow difficulty modes (i.e. Draconian Quests in Dragon Quest XI) to be turned on and turned off at any time in the game (i.e. players can only turn on Draconian Quests at the very beginning when creating a new save file in Dragon Quest XI; afterwards, players can only turn off Draconian Quests after talking to the priest or nun in a church)
  • An option to choosing between the classic battle system (players input the battle commands for all active party members all at once, e.g. Dragon Quest VIII) and the modern battle system (players input the battle commands for one active party member at the time, e.g. Dragon Quest XI)
  • Offer an indication of how far players are to achieving certain accolades (i.e. players in Dragon Quest XI are not given an indication of what Pep Powers players have already done, so that players can figure out which Pep Powers players have yet to use to get the Pepper Army accolade)
  • More non-linear overworld exploration
  • An option of choosing between 2D mode, HD-2D mode, and 3D mode
  • Allow seamless switching between 2D mode, HD-2D mode, and 3D mode at any time (i.e. players can switch between 2D mode and 3D mode in Dragon Quest XI S, but not seamlessly, not at any time, and players start at the beginning of the chapter chosen)
  • Bring back monster recruiting (e.g. Dragon Quest VII)
  • Allow recruited monsters to participate in a monster arena (e.g. Dragon Quest VIII)
  • Bring back the vocation system (e.g. Dragon Quest VII)

Edited by Dakhil
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2021 at 10:34 PM, Dakhil said:

I know most (if not all) I'm listing is not related to the question, but I guess these are my hopes for Dragon Quest XII. I think a good chunk of them are unrealistic, but a man can dream, right?

• Simultaneous worldwide release from the get-go
  • Customise the protagonist's appearance (e.g. Dragon Quest IX)
  • An option to choose the protagonist's gender (i.e. Dragon Quest IX)
  • An option of choosing between the synthesised soundtrack and the orchestrated soundtrack from the get-go
  • Offer a permanent, extra save file where players can save anywhere without having to talk to a priest or nun, a Sacred Statue, etc. (e.g. Quick Save in Dragon Quest VIII (Nintendo 3DS))
  • An option of choosing between the classic UI (e.g. Dragon Quest VII) and the modern UI (e.g. Dragon Quest XI)
  • Allow difficulty modes (i.e. Draconian Quests in Dragon Quest XI) to be turned on and turned off at any time in the game (i.e. players can only turn on Draconian Quests at the very beginning when creating a new save file in Dragon Quest XI; afterwards, players can only turn off Draconian Quests after talking to the priest or nun in a church)
  • An option to choosing between the classic battle system (players input the battle commands for all active party members all at once, e.g. Dragon Quest VIII) and the modern battle system (players input the battle commands for one active party member at the time, e.g. Dragon Quest XI)
  • Offer an indication of how far players are to achieving certain accolades (i.e. players in Dragon Quest XI are not given an indication of what Pep Powers players have already done, so that players can figure out which Pep Powers players have yet to use to get the Pepper Army accolade)
  • More non-linear overworld exploration
  • An option of choosing between 2D mode, HD-2D mode, and 3D mode
  • Allow seamless switching between 2D mode, HD-2D mode, and 3D mode at any time (i.e. players can switch between 2D mode and 3D mode in Dragon Quest XI S, but not seamlessly, not at any time, and players start at the beginning of the chapter chosen)
  • Bring back monster recruiting (e.g. Dragon Quest VII)
  • Allow recruited monsters to participate in a monster arena (e.g. Dragon Quest VIII)
  • Bring back the vocation system (e.g. Dragon Quest VII)

There is not much I disagree with here.

actually...there is nothing I disagree with here.

• Upvote 1

I enjoyed how the talent system was handled in DQXI, but my biggest desire for XII would be adding a class based system. Having a choice with classes makes a game a lot more replayable and doing challenge runs. Which I love doing.

• Like 1

I enjoyed how the talent system was handled in DQXI, but my biggest desire for XII would be adding a class based system. Having a choice with classes makes a game a lot more replayable and doing challenge runs. Which I love doing.
Give me DQVII on steroids! Set party characters, job classes, and dress up with those classes! Yes. Yes. Yes!
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
4 hours ago, Twinkie said:

Give me DQVII on steroids! Set party characters, job classes, and dress up with those classes! Yes. Yes. Yes!

Very much this! Would love for a system like that to come back.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

One thing I always hoped for since Dragon Warrior 4 on the NES is the ability to toggle individual skills/spells ON/OFF for the tactics AI.  So you can tell the AI to never use certain skills/spells.

• Like 1

Yeah that would be nice :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, Maj said:

One thing I always hoped for since Dragon Warrior 4 on the NES is the ability to toggle individual skills/spells ON/OFF for the tactics AI.  So you can tell the AI to never use certain skills/spells.

This would be helpful, but at least with  setting tactics in the newer games the AI does a better job than the original DQ4 did... There are still instances that are face-palm worthy in terms of MP efficiency.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
Posted (edited)

Another thing I want to see in DQXII; 

Is an HD-2D mode alongside 2D Mode & 3D Mode. . . Due to how AMAZING the DQIII HD-2D Remake Looks. . . I Mean; If DQ3 can get an Octopath-Esque Remake; Why can't a Future DQ Game ALSO have an HD-2D Mode that resembles Octopath Travelers; But with the Same Akira Toriyama-Esque Artstyle We've come to expect from Dragon Quest

As Well as an Instant K.O. Underleveled on the 3D Overworld whenever you're overleveled, to avoid wasting time on an unnecessary Battle sequence when you can just take it out in one hit on the overworld. . . 

P.S. I Mean I want to be able to do that ON FOOT; SImilar to How Ness Defeats Underleveled Enemies on the Overworld when He's Significantly higher-leveled than these enemies and NOT Just when You're on a Horse like in XI. . .

I'd Also love to see A Way to See Smarter A.I. Party members; so that they can have the most Competent Party member A.I. in the entirety of the Dragon Quest Franchise. . .

Updating my entry due to things I just realized I'd love to see

I would love to see Acquire and ArtePiazza work together on the 2D mode aspect of Dragon Quest XII if it exists.

Posted (edited)

I watched @Sackchief's stream last night and I remember they were discussing about what Horii could have meant when he said there would be a lot of choices in DQXII. In my mind there is five possibilities: 

1.  A return to open world design like in the Erdrick trilogy.
  2.  Choices that can make the story branch to multiple possible endings.
  3.  The presence of a custom party like in DQIII and DQIX.
  4.  Deep skill trees and whatnot like the ones in XI and IX.
  5. A combination of possibilities 3 and 4

Edited by DragonQuest2IsGood
Fixed error.