The Meaning of The Legendary Hero's name; whether Loto, Roto, or Erdrick

The Legendary Hero's Name  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In Japan The Legendary hero is known as Loto; What exactly does that name mean in the Japanese Language?

Come to think of it; I'm Not Sure what The Name Erdrick means either;

Can Someone please explain the Etymology of the Legendary Hero's Various Names?

Edited by ErdrickSmasherVIII

I voted Loto because I got into Dragon Warrior/Quest during the GB/GBC era. Familiarity is literally the only reason I picked Loto.

Also, there used to be a user here named RotoLoto. I was going to check if he's still here, but I don't know how to look up users on the new setup. We used to be able to look up all users, but I can only find "Online Users" now.

It's just a name that as the series progressed grew into a title and a revered person in its history.

I go with Erdrick for the name. Feels fitting and little more heroic to me.

I have my own reasons for preferring Loto/Roto. It has to do with the fact that I've noticed that a lot of "legendary heroes" IRL tend to have simplistic/short or mononymous names like "Joan of Arc". Loto/Roto kinda falls into that trend.

• Like 2

I like Loto more as I prefer the Japanese stuff like boxart and title names.  Really the only thing I like more in the USA versions are the voice acting from what I have heard of the Japanese on Youtube.  I mostly play USA versions though because my Japanese needs work.  

Roto. I really used to dislike it, but, if you look at his shield, it's there clear as day. ROTO. Not Loto. Not Erdrick. Roto. That's what is correct, so that's what I like.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 1/2/2021 at 2:19 PM, Dwaine said:

It's just a name that as the series progressed grew into a title and a revered person in its history.

I thought it was always a title?

Edited by ignasia
On 1/2/2021 at 1:19 PM, Wes said:

I voted Loto because I got into Dragon Warrior/Quest during the GB/GBC era. Familiarity is literally the only reason I picked Loto.

Also, there used to be a user here named RotoLoto. I was going to check if he's still here, but I don't know how to look up users on the new setup. We used to be able to look up all users, but I can only find "Online Users" now.

You can search for members by clicking in the search bar at the top and choose more options

search 1.png

Then select members and click the magnifying glass to search

search 2.png

There is a ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega but not a RotoLoto anymore

• Like 1

Both names are fine.

Erdrick was cool because of the first DW localization - taking the source material and building on that.

Having Roto/Loto in the GBC games was great for the time. Fans were discovering the differences between the US and Japan, they wanted to see more of that, and it was smaller to give the localization staff less of a character limit headache.

Erdrick coming back is also a nice carry over from the original localization and modern localization allows for the expanded space and storytelling.

• Like 1