Gaming Goals 2021

It was a year ago to the day that @Plattym3 posted last year’s topic and I really liked it so I thought I would keep it going!

Got anything you’d like to do this year?

First I’d like to say that 2020 was a banner year for me, in terms of finding time to play games. Of course, that time was basically thrust upon me by the pandemic, which also resulted in fewer games coming out that I would want to buy. I also trimmed a lot of fat in my collection just by selling off games I don’t think I’ll ever play. I think it ended up to be around 50? Maybe a little more?

For 2021, I would like to shift my focus to playing fewer games, but longer ones and doing more in them, with the goal of completing them entirely. I will still play shorter games (I’m currently replaying The Banner Saga on Switch before playing the other two games in the trilogy), but I should take a month to just play, say, Ni no Kuni 2.

• Like 1

Thanks for doing this! Now others that see it, don't forget to go back and comment on your 2020 goals and if you did it!

I'd like to try to commit to more longer games this year. And get back on the PS4 to do some of it. Honestly, I'm pretty much done reviewing video games for RPGamer. With me doing Slime Time, Slime Time Sidequest, and also producing RPGamer's RPG Backtrack, I use enough non-gaming time to do podcasts. I haven't raised my hand for a review since... August? And sorry, that Neptunia VII one is likely never coming out.

So, for 2021:

1. Persona 5 Royal - this has to get done. It's been what? 4 years now?

2. Yakuza 7 - seems to fun not to get to soon.

3. Bravely Default 2 - I'm sure this will be a beefy game like it's predecessors.

4. More Legend of Heroes. I should beat the first Crossbell game in the 50-60 hour mark this week. The second Crossbell game and Trails of Cold Steel 2 are at least that long. I'll have CS3 & CS4 waiting for me on Switch, but I really don't envision getting to them in 2021.

I have a few:

1. Finish off games I left unfinished and cross them off the Limbo List. Namely RPGs like Octopath Traveler, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Trails of Cold Steel 2. There’s not much coming in 2021 I want except for more RPGs (which I’ll mention below), so I figure it’s going to be another year of catching up on games and finishing stuff off.

2. Play more SaGa games. This is a series I’ve really gotten into over the last year, and I want to try out more entries. Started Romancing SaGa 3 and set that to the side but was really liking it, and I’ve been enjoying the Collection of SaGa recently released on Switch. My Switch is pretty much becoming a SaGa system, but I’m fine with that. It’s a great series I wish I had tried out sooner.

3. Get the most out of the new RPGs coming in 2021. Bravely Default 2 looks like fun, but I’ll admit I have my hesitations about it. Combat just seems different from the 3DS games, but hopefully once I get into the game my attitude will change. Really, as long as the writing is better than what was in Bravely Second, I’ll be happy.

And then we have Shin Megami Tensei V and Nocturne HD Remaster...I can’t tell you how happy I was to see those back in the July Nintendo Direct. Nocturne HD was an awesome surprise, and FINALLY seeing something about SMT5 after 3 and a half years of silence felt like a godsend. The trailer for SMT5 really gave off the vibe that made me interested in SMT in the first place, and visually it looks like a good blend of Kaneko’s artstyle and Doi’s artsytle. With the abundance of Persona 5 content taking over, it was nice to see Atlus hasn’t forgotten about Shin Megami Tensei. I know people give me #$*! about SMT around here since I was a real annoying fanboy about the series/Atlus years ago, but I genuinely was happy to see Nocturne and SMT5 are planned to release in the west in 2021. I can’t remember the last time I felt that kind of excitement over a game related announcement, one that had back to back news and trailers no less!

I really hope that Nocturne HD not only takes a lot of my gaming time, but that SMT5 does as well and that I’ll love it as much as I do Strange Journey and SMT4. It’s felt like a long time coming, and I hope all that development time has let the folks at Atlus turn SMT5 into another well crafted RPG.

4. Torture Platty more on Slime Time Side Quest. He didn’t have to butt in and shush me for awhile until we did the recent (as of this post) episode 10, so I need to try and step my game up. It’s not a proper Side Quest without Platty cutting me off somewhere. 🤪

• Like 1

I have a few:
1. Finish off games I left unfinished and cross them off the Limbo List. Namely RPGs like Octopath Traveler, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Trails of Cold Steel 2. There’s not much coming in 2021 I want except for more RPGs (which I’ll mention below), so I figure it’s going to be another year of catching up on games and finishing stuff off.

2. Play more SaGa games. This is a series I’ve really gotten into over the last year, and I want to try out more entries. Started Romancing SaGa 3 and set that to the side but was really liking it, and I’ve been enjoying the Collection of SaGa recently released on Switch. My Switch is pretty much becoming a SaGa system, but I’m fine with that. It’s a great series I wish I had tried out sooner.

3. Get the most out of the new RPGs coming in 2021. Bravely Default 2 looks like fun, but I’ll admit I have my he...

I'm going to stop you right there!

I'm trying to keep mine manageable

1. Play more Yakuza games. I've played Yakuza Kiwami 1 and Yakuza: Like a Dragon. Both fantastic games. I already own the rest of them on my PS4, just have to get around to them. After 80 hours on Like a Dragon, I wanted some buffer time before diving back into those games. They are great crime dramas with ludicrous side quests and other stuff to do.
  2. Play more SaGa. I got more into SaGa this year than years prior. I almost finished Romancing SaGa 2, and picked up RS3 and Scarlet Graces. I also did a play through of Final Fantasy Legend 1 earlier this year. These are great games that I want to dedicate more time to.
  3. Actually finish Wonderful 101. I have it on the Wii U, but for whatever reason, I just really hated playing on the big tablet. I got a PS4 copy really cheap so I can finally really go at it. I finished the Demo earlier this month and got a head start on in-game store purchases that will help out on future missions.
  4. Learn to drop a game when I'm not feeling it, which happened a lot this year, but I kept trying to push through them. No better way to kill motivation than to do that.
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Bururian said:

Play more SaGa. I got more into SaGa this year than years prior. I almost finished Romancing SaGa 2, and picked up RS3 and Scarlet Graces. I also did a play through of Final Fantasy Legend 1 earlier this year. These are great games that I want to dedicate more time to.

SaGa Twinsie.

1 hour ago, eal said:

Jeez I knew Yakuza was becoming mainstream but it feels like everyone’s playing it now.

Should I mention I got Yakuza: Like a Dragon for Christmas then...?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, eal said:

No.

Damn.

Pokemon: Beat Gen 1 through Gen 7 (I beat 1-4 before). I found out my R4 can emulate GameBoy Color games, and it even tracks the RTC in gen 2!

WII: My old WII was stolen years ago. I would really like to beat Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World again, because that game was amazing. I might as well beat DQ Swords, too. I never could beat the final final final bonus boss

Make a few games. I made an RPG on the calculator, and if I learn a good programming language I could make some better ones (the memory was way too limited on the TI-84). I just got the RPG Maker Fes for my 2ds, so I'll try to make two games on that. Also, I've been meaning to make a world for Well of Souls, which is an old PC game.

My list hasn't changed that much.

1. Play more Soulsborne titles. Would love to get through the Dark Souls trilogy and Bloodborne by the end of 2021.

2. Get more into fighting games. This was a high priority this year. But the pandemic pretty much threw this out the window. Not being able to play at locals is really discouraging. It is nowhere near the level of playing online. So I didn't practice that much.

3. Getting into VR. I feel like it is getting to the point where VR is going to be a lot more enjoyable and easier to get into. It is something I wanted to do for a long time now. I had the chance to try out VR a couple years ago and loved it. But just didn't feel like it was worth the hefty investment. Since Half-Life: Alyx was released, I feel like the field is going to be opening up a lot more. At least enough for me to consider the investment to be worth it.

4. Be more social with gaming. While I do post on websites often, I don't feel like I am as social as I could be with gaming. I have met a lot of great people over the years through MMOs and such, and would like to expand on it. I have been playing Phantasy Star Online 2 since release, and still haven't joined a guild. I have been treating the game like a single player game and getting sick of it. I would like to get more active in Discord servers as well.

5. ROM hacking. I would like to get more active in these communities as well. I am a big fan of randomizers, and I have watched tournaments for several different games for them. I would like to get more involved with ROM hacks and other fan created content. Maybe down the road I can use some of my limited programming skills and expand on it.

6. Dragon Quest Spinoffs. I haven't played many of them outside of Builders. Mostly just the mainline titles. I might try getting into the DQM series shortly to change that. I only played DQM2 on GBC.

Edited by Twinkie

I think I should add a joke goal to my list: Make sure Smash Ultimate isn’t my most played Switch game by the end of the year again. According to My Nintendo stats, Smash Ultimate has been my #1 played game two years in a row now. Now, 2019 when I finally got the game, I can understand. But 2020? That surprised me. Byleth didn’t really spark much play time, but Min-Min, Minecraft Steve and especially the Sephiroth updates? Yes. Yes they certainly did. I think I have a problem, guys! 🤣

Maybe by the end of 2021 I can top it with Animal Crossing New Horizons. I did get that for Christmas but haven’t started it yet. If it does, this video would work to “celebrate” that...

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1
On 12/29/2020 at 3:09 PM, eal said:

Jeez I knew Yakuza was becoming mainstream but it feels like everyone’s playing it now.

I have no idea what made it so popular recently. I unabashedly got Like a Dragon because the main protagonist loves Dragon Quest and I already liked the Yakuza games.

On 12/29/2020 at 4:25 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

SaGa Twinsie.

Right??

I think we got into SaGa together at just the right time.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Bururian said:

Right??

I think we got into SaGa together at just the right time.

Yep, for sure. I’m glad Square Enix is showing so much support for the series now. Reminds me of how they’ve done better about supporting Dragon Quest outside of Japan.

Plenty of games in the series to check out now and more on the horizon. Looking forward to SaGa Frontier Remastered next year.

3 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Yep, for sure. I’m glad Square Enix is showing so much support for the series now. Reminds me of how they’ve done better about supporting Dragon Quest outside of Japan.

Plenty of games in the series to check out now and more on the horizon. Looking forward to SaGa Frontier Remastered next year.

Man, I am too. I'm so excited about it. I loved it on the PS1 back in middle/high school. I can't wait to see the cut content added back in (I don't even know what it all is) but I also can't wait to play as Alkaiser again!

Man, I am too. I'm so excited about it. I loved it on the PS1 back in middle/high school. I can't wait to see the cut content added back in (I don't even know what it all is) but I also can't wait to play as Alkaiser again!
Did someone say kaiser? Sorry, #nobreadbecauseimfat is in my bread. 06a1c145af75a4b503b7f67113256d3f.jpg

I mean, my head.

I don’t know that I’ve ever actually set goals like this... but it seems fun!

1) Finish a lot of the games I’ve started and then put down for one reason or another

-DQVIII 3DS

-DQXI 2D

-DQ Builders 2

-Fire Emblem Three Houses: Blue Lions Route

-Tales of Berseria (I picked this one up again before Christmas only to put it down for Cadence of Hyrule and Age of Calamity)

-A few others that I am missing trophies on; DQH2 and Dark Cloud 2.

-Probably more that I’ve forgotten because I had a bad habit of starting things I likely shouldn’t have this year

2) Don’t to that^ again. I used to be better about finishing what games I’ve started. All of the DQ games are at least second play through, so I know how it ends, but I’ve gotten a little overwhelmed at how many “open” games I have right now.

3) Play DQM. I’ve played Joker 1 and 2 on the DS, but I’ve never actually played DQM 1 or 2. I want to say that they’re the only localized games I haven’t played any version of (along with Caravan Heart). 

4) Get better about playing things in small chunks. I tend to avoid turning on a game unless I have a large chunk of time to play, on the order of several hours. I’d probably get a lot more done and enjoy myself more if I could pick up a game for 30 minutes to see what I could accomplish.

2 hours ago, Bururian said:

SaGa Frontier was the first SaGa game I bought back in college. Went to a used game store and found a copy in good shape for $20 on PS1 but never started it.

I’m looking forward to experiencing the game for the first time with the remaster. I’ve kept it mostly spoiler free, so I’m looking forward to experiencing the game and seeing how it compares to the few others I’ve played. Not sure who I’ll start with, but it’s cool to know they’ve added Fuse as a protagonist. Apparently he was cut from the original but could still join you in different stories, so good to see he got back his planned protagonist role.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
1 hour ago, Bururian said:

I have no idea what made it so popular recently. I unabashedly got Like a Dragon because the main protagonist loves Dragon Quest and I already liked the Yakuza games.

I theorized that the prequel game, Yakuza 0, had a lot of word-of-mouth praise and a ton of memes associated with it (sort of like JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure). I know almost nothing about the actual story, but I know all about the dominatrix side quest.

Of course, how did we even manage to get 0, seeing as the franchise was basically dead in the US. We got 5 digital-only on PS3 and I’ve heard it said that doing that was considered a risky gamble. Before that, I’d only ever heard the series mentioned in articles about how we’re unlikely to get Yakuza 5 and watching parts of the Two Best Friends LP of Yakuza 4.

Now we’re at the point where Microsoft is spamming out all the remakes/remasters as fast as they can and marketing Like a Dragon as it’s big next gen launch game. Frankly, I’ve never seen a series turn the tide like this.

Woooo! Crazy we are already approaching 2021.

My goals in 2020 were super broad and directional in nature. I’ll try some more specific games this time:

1. Beat Pokémon Emerald and at least one other Older game  played on the system it was made for (I’ll pre-allow myself to play GB and GBC titles on my GBA). I’ve also got Rogue Galaxy in the back of my head on this one.

2. Play and beat Bravely Default (super excited to start this one).

3. Play and beat DQ II. I’ve played, but never beaten DQ II. This will be the last title I need to have beaten all of the NA-released DW/DQ games in some form. 

4. Increase my game-time even more. I’m still in the 3-8 hours per week range and I’d very much like to be in the 8-20 hours per week range.

Other than that, I’m leaving it open to see what the year brings!!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, cprmauldin said:

Woooo! Crazy we are already approaching 2021.

My goals in 2020 were super broad and directional in nature. I’ll try some more specific games this time:

1. Beat Pokémon Emerald and at least one other Older game  played on the system it was made for (I’ll pre-allow myself to play GB and GBC titles on my GBA).

I love GBC and GBA games, so I'll suggest some RPGs.

Megaman Battle Network series (GBA)

Summon Night (GBA, there's two of these)

Magi-Nation (GBC)

Lufia: The Legend Returns (GBC, there's also Ruins of Lore on the GBA)

Dragon Warrior series (GBC. Two Monsters games, and 1-3 of the main series)

Azure Dreams (GBC. This game is rather short, but still a fun play)

18 hours ago, Wes said:

I love GBC and GBA games, so I'll suggest some RPGs.

Megaman Battle Network series (GBA)

Summon Night (GBA, there's two of these)

Magi-Nation (GBC)

Lufia: The Legend Returns (GBC, there's also Ruins of Lore on the GBA)

Dragon Warrior series (GBC. Two Monsters games, and 1-3 of the main series)

Azure Dreams (GBC. This game is rather short, but still a fun play)

Thanks for the list!

Played DW III and Monsters/Monsters II on the GBC. I’ll check into Mega-Man and Lufia 😁

Thanks for the list!
Played DW III and Monsters/Monsters II on the GBC. I’ll check into Mega-Man and Lufia
I played the first Megaman Battle Network just this September & talked about it on Slime Time Sidequest. It was surprisingly quite good. I enjoyed it and rarely enjoy action or tactical combat, but that was pretty cool (and super fast)