‘appy birfday, @eal! Hope it’s a real diamond of a day for ya, guv!

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, eal said:

Thanks! Gonna spend my birthday finishing Harry Potter.

Are you on the last book or movie? Haven’t noticed you mention you were going through the series, but I haven’t checked the Den much the last few days either.

44 minutes ago, eal said:

Thanks! Gonna spend my birthday finishing Harry Potter.

You're going to "finish" Harry Potter? Not on my watch, Death Eater!

33 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Are you on the last book or movie? Haven’t noticed you mention you were going through the series, but I haven’t checked the Den much the last few days either.

I mentioned briefly in the reading topic, but I started on Halloween and binged through the whole series without stopping to read anything else and would usually start the next book immediately after finishing the last one.

I have a weird history with the series. I watched the first movie, and then I read random books and stopped at random points but still kept up by watching the movies. The only confusing gap was when I saw, I think, the fourth movie and then read the sixth book. Basically, I read most of one, a little of three, all of six, and about half of seven. I figured it was high time I got this monkey off my back.

I’m on the last couple chapters of Deathly Hallows, so I will tonight should be the night where I finally complete the dang thing.

5 minutes ago, Wes said:

You're going to "finish" Harry Potter? Not on my watch, Death Eater!

Death Eaters are the Stormtroopers of the Harry Potter universe, in that they can’t ever land a hit

Edited by eal
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, eal said:

I’m on the last couple chapters of Deathly Hallows, so I will tonight should be the night where I finally complete the dang thing.

The final showdown is much better in the book, before executives got a hold of it and made it Hollywood style

Happy Birthday :)

• Like 1

Happy eel-day, Eee-Ay-El

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Wes said:

The final showdown is much better in the book, before executives got a hold of it and made it Hollywood style

I actually don’t know if I agree with that. The book just glazes over battles that are happening. There’s a part near the end where the narration just says, “and this person was fighting this person, and this person was fighting this person, and Hagrid threw this guy.” The worst to me was when they just casually mention that McGonagall, Slughorn, and Shacklebolt are dueling Voldemort like it’s just any other fight. I was so thrown by that considering how big a moment that is for Slughorn’s character, who spent a lot of the last book being afraid of Voldemort and basically using his teaching job to hide from him and was originally afraid to take the job because it might show his allegiance against him. And it’s like, “btw him and two other people are fighting Voldemort.”

The actual final battle with Voldemort had Rowling’s trademark “character’s stand around and explain how things work” and then Voldemort’s spell rebounds. He was defeated in combat because he didn’t understand how the Elder Wand worked. If Hermione had swiped Malfoy’s wand at Malfoy Manor (which wasn’t even a magical duel requiring skill, Malfoy is just physically overpowered) instead of Harry she would have just as easily have been the person to defeat Voldemort if he tried to attack her.

This is how it happened in the movie as well, but I felt the book’s final battle was energetic and plenty fun to read but not all that impressive. It glossed over a lot of potentially cool battles to see.

1 hour ago, eal said:

The actual final battle with Voldemort had Rowling’s trademark “character’s stand around and explain how things work” and then Voldemort’s spell rebounds. He was defeated in combat because he didn’t understand how the Elder Wand worked. If Hermione had swiped Malfoy’s wand at Malfoy Manor (which wasn’t even a magical duel requiring skill, Malfoy is just physically overpowered) instead of Harry she would have just as easily have been the person to defeat Voldemort if he tried to attack her.

This is how it happened in the movie as well, but I felt the book’s final battle was energetic and plenty fun to read but not all that impressive. It glossed over a lot of potentially cool battles to see.

Yeah, I just liked how quick the final battle was over. It was like "You dare defy me?" "Yes, I do dare, Tom." "You dare to call me Tom!" "Yes, because this battle is already over. That wand belongs to me." Avada Kedavra<Expelliarmus because of the Elder Wand's true ownership.

I forget if they emphasized the disrespect of "You're not Voldemort, your name is Tom Riddle" in the movie. All I remember is that they took the one-two punch of the book's battle and made it a DBZ kamehameha clash.

I personally liked the quick version of Harry vs Tom, but maybe that's personal taste

dbz clash.gif