Thoughts on the Draconian Quests for a second playthrough?

Hi Everybody! I'm a huge Dragon Quest fan and a long-time lurker on the Dragon's Den. I recently stumbled on the Slime Time podcast (it is an awesome listen!), and it has me really wanting to do a second playthrough of DQXI on 2D mode. I've read about the Draconian Quests on this thread (https://www.woodus.com/den/games/dq11/draconian.php), and I was curious as to what people think about the potential options for a second playthrough.

Stronger enemies seems like a no brainer. Has anybody found that this makes the game less enjoyable at any points? My hope is that it ups the strategy factor a bit. I love grinding in games, but I haven't had as much time to game lately (the perks of getting older haha). If it mainly ups the grind factor, I may take a pass.

I also think weak enemies gives no XP seems like it'd also be fun to add. Does this make it more challenging to grind to Level 99 in the post game? I'm guessing this would not impact slime hunting. 

The other options don't really interest me. I'm definitely willing to consider them if people have strong opinions. 

Both are really good options! 

Stronger monsters changes a lot of the boss strategies, giving them new abilities and behaviors. I never really felt that it upped the grind, but it did make strategy and preparation a must for some of the bigger fights (normal mode is a breeze no matter what equipment you have, really).

When you get to post game, the "weak enemies give no experience" changes to "weak enemies give 50% experience", but by the time you roll credits, you have technically "completed" the draconian quest and can turn it off using the "absolution" option at the church. (I usually keep stronger monsters, but the other ones tend to just be a nuisance at this point in the game).

The tricky thing about grinding on this mode is that, while metal monsters are usually not considered "weak monsters" (at least not in the timeframe where you'd naturally encounter them), monsters summoned by Electro Light are considered weak monsters. You can still get experience from them by killing a strong monster in the battle before using the pep power, but it's an important thing to note if you plan to grind that way.

The only Draconian quest I haven't done is "no armour" because I like costumes too much! All the other ones are totally doable, especially for a seasoned RPG player! :)

(No armour is possible too, but I don't recommend pairing it with stronger monsters and weak enemies give no experience).

• Like 1

Thanks so much for such a helpful response! Using new boss strategies is exactly what I'm looking for to be honest. I like upping the challenge a bit, and I agree that normal mode was pretty much a breeze at all times, even for a Dragon Quest game. I do think endgame labyrinth/trials may be more challenging with the higher difficulty settings, which would be a ton of fun. I'm really excited to see all of the changes in 2D mode.

I might not use the weak enemies give no experience setting to be honest. I try to limit my grinding during the main game anyways to be honest. It is typically more efficient to grind in the post-game vs. early game and I have good enough self control. 

I also agree with you on enjoying the costumes too much to do a no armor playthrough! Dragon Quest XI had so much charm honestly.

My first game was VIII, so I personally enjoy the 3D mode a lot more; my nostalgia DQ is way newer than most people's. I love that there is a 2D mode, but the character voicings and visuals just make the world seem so much more real! 

2D mode is still a lot of fun, and it's cool to see the world in a whole new dimension (literally)! I hope you have a lot of fun with it! ^_^

Stronger monsters is a fun challenge. I did that on both the PS4 and Switch versions. It gives you the incentive to use more spells and abilities from the party so you get the most out of everything they can do. Characters like Rab can be very nice in Stronger Enemies since his spell list is the most diverse of the playable mages IMO.

I do love the 3D games - VIII and XI are two of my all-time favorites. I started with IX initially, believe it or not, and fell in love with the series. It was a blind purchase that I made right before my 4th year of undergrad. I thought it looked like a fun game and am glad I made the impulse buy! IV-VI on the DS/Mobile are all also amazing, which has me curious to try the 2D mode. I am itching to play VIII again on the 3DS as well :D

Rab was my favorite mage! I love his character arc and the humor he brought to the story. I love how XI gives you a lot of flexibility to experiment with your characters as you go. In a lot of ways, I feel like they perfected the systems from VIII in XI.

• Like 3

All Enemies are Super Strong: Highly recommend this.  DQ11 is way too easy without this.  Having this enabled forces you to strategize and fully use each character's abilities.  It also forces you to think about what skills/builds you should use.

Reduced Experience from Easy Fights: I also highly recommend this one as well because it prevents you from over leveling.  Again, this forces you to strategize in fights instead of simply over leveling to get past a hard boss.  Keep in mind that I'm not in post game yet so I can't comment about things like leveling to 99 with this on. 

No Shopping: I found this one to be annoying and turned it off relatively quickly.

No Armour: Makes the game very hard and not fun at all for me.  I turned it off before I even got to Heliodor the first time.  It removes the fun of deciding which armor you should use.  I'm not sure how you'd even beat the game with this and reduced xp on because I'd think you'd have to over level by a lot to get past the hard bosses.

Syphox: Very annoying.  I turned it off within about 5 minutes.  By far the most annoying thing about it is you'll sometimes fail to speak to NPCs, which is only funny the first time it happens.  It also introduces more RNG into battles which I'm not a fan of.

Super Shypox: Also annoying because of the increased RNG that's introduced

Townsfols Talk Tripe: Also very annoying and something I turned off within about 5 minutes.  It's funny the first couple times and then gets super annoying.

Party Wiped Out if Protagonist Perishes: I turned it off relatively early in the game since I didn't think it added much to the experience.  Super strong enemies and reduced XP already makes the game hard enough for me.

Thus, I recommend only super strong enemies and reduced xp.  They make the game just hard enough for me without making it too hard that it takes the fun out of it.  All the rest I found to be very annoying or made the game so hard that I didn't even want to play.

Edited by strenfoo

The most annoying thing about no shopping is that there is no way to get Angel Bells in the game besides shopping, which makes some Alchemy Recipes impossible until you get to the post game and turn it off.

A fun perk, though, is with the brothers in Gondolia where you buy the limited gear.

Spoiler

Because you aren't allowed to shop, you can actually get the Cat Suit, Hendrik's Armor, and Divine Bustier for free!

As others have mentioned. Turn on Stronger Monsters. It really wasn't that hard in my opinion. But it made the game play a lot better. I can't suggest this enough for those who are experienced with RPGs.

I actually had fun with the no shops setting. Focusing on items you can only find and gear you can only craft was a lot of fun.

As someone who managed to beat the game with all settings turned on. The only setting I would strongly suggest against is No Armor. This restriction also applies to shields AND accessories. Which makes it a much more difficult game. If you combine this with Shypox on Stronger Monsters, you are going to be doing fights over and over again praying for the RNG gods to give you a blessing to make it through. If you have limited EXP enabled, you won't be able to depend on grinding to get you out of it. That being said, I also suggest against shypox. It is more rage inducing then anything.

On 12/11/2020 at 4:01 PM, Bluestar said:

The only Draconian quest I haven't done is "no armour" because I like costumes too much! All the other ones are totally doable, especially for a seasoned RPG player! :)

I might be misremembering this. But from my experience with the game that restriction doesn't apply to the "No Armor" restriction. XIS uses a separate slot for costumes and it doesn't apply stats. I remember being able to use costumes during my playthrough.

1 hour ago, Twinkie said:

I might be misremembering this. But from my experience with the game that restriction doesn't apply to the "No Armor" restriction. XIS uses a separate slot for costumes and it doesn't apply stats. I remember being able to use costumes during my playthrough.

Hmm, I didn't think about that. I've only played 2D mode in XIS, and 3D mode on the original release. Maybe I'll finally get the guts to do No Armour next time!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a weenie and hate using the Draconian quests. Maybe if I ever do a third play through. I did a Platinum run of the original game and now doing a 2D run of the Definitive version.

I like the idea of them, but I also like a non-obfuscated run of an RPG. Maybe one day in the future.

2 hours ago, Bururian said:

I'm a weenie and hate using the Draconian quests. Maybe if I ever do a third play through. I did a Platinum run of the original game and now doing a 2D run of the Definitive version.

I like the idea of them, but I also like a non-obfuscated run of an RPG. Maybe one day in the future.

If you could only do one, I would recommend the stronger monsters. They aren’t obscenely overpowered or anything, it just gives a nice bit of difficulty to the game. Helps make things interesting too once you know what to expect so you can prepare early on too.

• Like 2