What DQ spin offs are actually worth playing?

Builders is worth playing. I’m not much for building type games but Builders was a lot of fun. Helping restore Alefgard in Builders 1 was an interesting concept.

• Like 1

I've played them all except the musical one, and would love to try that one day. They've all had their good parts, I'd not say any wasted my time, but they're not all for everyone.

What kinds of games do you enjoy?

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

I've played them all except the musical one, and would love to try that one day. They've all had their good parts, I'd not say any wasted my time, but they're not all for everyone.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention Theatrhythm Dragon Quest. If you have a Japanese 3DS, it’s worth getting. It’s very easy to play and navigate, and if you enjoy DQ music you’ll get plenty out of the game.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

I like basically everything except for stuff like Soulsborne and open world games with no direction like Minecraft. Minecraft technically has an endgoal, but it's too hidden and obtuse. The game feels totally directionless as a result if you play blind.

I heard Builders plays like Minecraft. Is that true?

3 minutes ago, DragonQuest2IsGood said:

I like basically everything except for stuff like Soulsborne and open world games with no direction like Minecraft. Minecraft technically has an endgoal, but it's too hidden and obtuse. The game feels totally directionless as a result if you play blind.

Building stuff wise and collecting materials, yes. But you have clear goals for each part of the game thanks to the NPCs. Look up some gameplay from the Rimuldar section (aka part 1 of Builders 1) and you’ll see what I mean.

There’s a free building mode called Terra Incognita, but you don’t have to be play that mode if you don’t want to.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 3
13 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Building stuff wise and collecting materials, yes. But you have clear goals for each part of the game thanks to the NPCs. Look up some gameplay from the Rimuldar section (aka part 1 of Builders 1) and you’ll see what I mean.

There’s a free building mode called Terra Incognita, but you don’t have to be play that mode if you don’t want to.

Ok I'll consider checking it out.

• Like 1

I will have to say that DQB was the hardest side entry to get into for me. Everything else I loaded up and just beat. That first DQB I put in and played a few times and set aside for years. But then last summer I beat it and DQB2 back to back playing for over 100 hours. Portability was key for me between Vita for 1 and Switch for 2.

Im 100% with you on needing set goals to move a game forward. DQB games definitely have them!
  • Like 1

I have never been able to get into Minecraft because of the lack of clear goals, but the Builders games are some of my favorites ever. There's an incredible mix of creative exploration and building while still having enough structure to keep me close to the main path. 

The writing for the story in both games is also phenomenal. I highly recommend!

• Like 4

If you like top-down Zelda games, I think you'd like the Slime Morimori/Rocket Slime games. The tank/ship battles in the second and third games are pretty fun and incorporate an alchemy system for combining items together.

Only the second one on DS actually got released outside Japan. A fan translation exists for the one on 3DS and requires a system with custom firmware. The one on GBA doesn't have a translation, but it's still perfectly playable in Japanese.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, But Thou Must said:

If you like top-down Zelda games, I think you'd like the Slime Morimori/Rocket Slime games. The tank/ship battles in the second and third games are pretty fun and incorporate an alchemy system for combining items together.

Only the second one on DS actually got released outside Japan. A fan translation exists for the one on 3DS and requires a system with custom firmware. The one on GBA doesn't have a translation, but it's still perfectly playable in Japanese.

Are they puzzle heavy? I'm not good with puzzles.

Builders (Have yet to play 2 but I would imagine it is also good)

Heroes and Heroes II

Dragon Warrior Monsters

Dragon Warrior Monsters 2

Dragon Quest Monsters Joker (haven’t played 2 or 3 but I’ve heard good things)

• Like 1