Good Grief! I Think FF XVI Is Going To Be My First English Voice-Over JRPG... Anyone Else?

I've been lucky to start playing JRPG at a time when virtually every major JRPG you can think of was undubbed or had official support for the original Japanese voice-acting + English subtitles. Overall I think most English dubs for games and anime are pretty terrible (with some exceptions) but Japanese isn't perfect, of course. The massive problem with Japanese voice-acting (especially nowadays) is that it has that Hollywood syndrome of hiring the same famous actors that pretty much play "Brad Pitt" or "Arnold Schwarzenneger" in every role. But usually Japanese voice-acting has a certain mark of quality...

Square Enix used to be the king of unique and atmospheric Japanese voice-acting in games but I feel like they're loosing that quality nowadays. FF XIV (which I love) has voice-actors which range from fantastic to "where's the mute button?", FF XV had passable voices but they were somewhat stereotypical, I thought, VII Remake was fantastic with voice-acting (even Cloud's voice-actor) and FF XVI is... looking not so good, at least based on what I heard in the trailer.

I've watched both trailers and it gave me that impression of watching a Western movie which is being dubbed into Japanese. Kind of like that FF XV movie. It just doesn't feel right and the voices sounded a bit too bland and stereotypical? It doesn't even come close to that opening scene of Final Fantasy X, to unique voice of Lightning from FF XIII or the dreamy voice-acting from Drakengard 1-3, or NieR series. So, I rewatched the trailer with English voices and I did like it much more, they even did the boy's voice right.

Will you be playing it with Japanese or English voice-acting? Based on what you've heard in the trailer (and if you haven't watched, what are you doing? -____-).

🤭 

I'm personally leaning more towards English and this is honestly one of the first times when I'm not only okay with English voice-acting in Japanese games but I am going to choose it when I have the option to go with Japanese. The other case is Kingdom Hearts but KH is heavy on Disney, so it kind of needs English voices..

Spoiler

Japanese

English 

Edited by ShonenKokoro

I don’t really care if the spoken language is in English or Japanese for my games. There are ones where I turn it off entirely, such as the Etrian Odyssey games. The VA work just takes me out of the experience.

I typically stick with English voices since that's my language of origin. I don't know enough Japanese to understand what is being said, so Japanese voice acting tends to range from "this is okay" to "this is beyond annoying to listen to". If I could actually understand what was being said, I think I'd appreciate it more.

That said, I believe every game should not only ship with both English and Japanese voices, but the rest of Multi-5 as well.

• Like 2

I typically stick with English voices since that's my language of origin.

Yep. I've said this a lot lately, but I don't much give a flying F what original creators want/intend. I'm quite happy with my localized stuff. I'm not eating traditional Chinese food, I'm eating General Tso's Chicken, made in NYC! I'm all about enjoying other cultures, but I only speak English and my video games are my chill time, not Rosetta Stone time.

Oh, and FF has been dead to me for 20 years. Bleh. Hope everyone enjoys it that wants to, it's just not for me.
26 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Oh, and FF has been dead to me for 20 years. Bleh. Hope everyone enjoys it that wants to, it's just not for me.

We need to get you to play some of Final Fantasy IX at some point. That’s a good game. But if you don’t play it, I understand. Final Fantasy is a series I really need to be in the mood for in order to play it or listen to music it from it.

31 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Yep. I've said this a lot lately, but I don't much give a flying F what original creators want/intend

I actually disagree with this. I care very much what the original author intends in their translated work. That said, I want to understand it. That's the point of a translation. Localization is important up to a point; even if the words make sense, if the literal content is too bizzare or too dry in the target language, you'll lose the author's intended tone. But far too often, modern localizers feel the need to change things all over a game, even, sometimes, to the point that it's essentially a different story altogether. I feel this is disrespectful (to the author and the consumer), deceitful, and just a plain rip off.

Thankfully we haven't seen the absolute worst localizations for DQ, at any point really (other than the ones that don't exist). At worst, DQ has been a little too literal, or full of terrible puns. We've seen a little bit of censorship, but mostly that's Nintendo being Nintendo. Many other series have it far worse. Yuji Horii has some metaphorical weight to push around, but not everybody does.

To close... I really like DQXI's english script. I can't vouch for it's total accuracy, but it sure feels genuine. So long as this means the Luminary vocation is retconned back to Superstar, because otherwise it's really stupid. (DQXI's Luminary is Yuusha in japanese, which refers specifically to the protagonist of each game - except maybe V and X, since you're not the actual hero in those games. DQVI/VII/IX Luminary is literally Super Star. The english words, written in katakana.)

• Like 1

I actually disagree with this. I care very much what the original author intends in their translated work.

100% understand. I fully get I'm the minority opinion on this kind of stuff!
We need to get you to play some of Final Fantasy IX at some point. That’s a good game. But if you don’t play it, I understand. Final Fantasy is a series I really need to be in the mood for in order to play it or listen to music it from it.
Definitely want to play that! Wasn't yesterday the 20th anniversary?
2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Definitely want to play that! Wasn't yesterday the 20th anniversary?

Yeah, looks like it was for it’s western release. Well, in that case, Happy 20th Final Fantasy IX.

9 hours ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

I typically stick with English voices since that's my language of origin. I don't know enough Japanese to understand what is being said, so Japanese voice acting tends to range from "this is okay" to "this is beyond annoying to listen to". If I could actually understand what was being said, I think I'd appreciate it more.

That said, I believe every game should not only ship with both English and Japanese voices, but the rest of Multi-5 as well.

I agree, though I'll add that games should ship with English (if they're made in Japan) and other Multi-5 languages only if the creators of the game are okay with it and it's not too expensive for them to do a dub. 

As for not understanding Japanese, you can get used to it pretty quickly.

9 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Yep. I've said this a lot lately, but I don't much give a flying F what original creators want/intend. I'm quite happy with my localized stuff. I'm not eating traditional Chinese food, I'm eating General Tso's Chicken, made in NYC! emoji23.png I'm all about enjoying other cultures, but I only speak English and my video games are my chill time, not Rosetta Stone time.

I mean, if that's what you think, I honestly think it will be better for you to move to games such as Dota 2 and Counter-Strike - everyone speaks English there, no need to think and it's just a good old "chill time". Every hobby requires work and open-mindedness, you're just missing out if this is your thinking.

As for "FF being dead", very ignorant statement. You can dislike something or like it but if you say "something is dead for me because... I don't even know because why, ah maybe it's not green anymore!", you're just being ignorant. 

7 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Wow. Now I can't have my own opinions. Thanks. *blocked*

D0A13D7D-B9F2-4819-895A-CA5086F1E5FE.jpeg.3723bd1b1af998d13a9dce032db45398.jpeg

But at least I get soup! Oooooh, I've been lucky enough to have soup the past two Thursdays. We're getting free lunch all year at work, but I can't make it to the newly opened cafeteria but once a week due to my class schedule. The past two Thursdays I've been there. Egg Drop Soup was good. Never tried that before as I've loved Won Ton too much to explore other Chinese ones. And then they had gumbo this week which was almost as good as mine!

23 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

But at least I get soup! Oooooh, I've been lucky enough to have soup the past two Thursdays. We're getting free lunch all year at work, but I can't make it to the newly opened cafeteria but once a week due to my class schedule. The past two Thursdays I've been there. Egg Drop Soup was good. Never tried that before as I've loved Won Ton too much to explore other Chinese ones. And then they had gumbo this week which was almost as good as mine!

Funny you mention Thursday and soup, as I made a crockpot of soup on Thursday. It’s my Mexican/tortilla soup recipe. Originally got the recipe from a family member but have tweaked it over the past few years. Got it down to a hamburger version and a chicken version, each one calling for a few different things.

• Like 1
On 11/14/2020 at 6:41 AM, Plattym3 said:

Wow. Now I can't have my own opinions. Thanks. *blocked*

For the record, just because I disagree does not mean you aren't entitled to your own opinion.

• Like 1
For the record, just because I disagree does not mean you aren't entitled to your own opinion.
You're good, my friend . We don't always agree, but I always respect your point of view!
On 11/14/2020 at 6:06 AM, ShonenKokoro said:

I agree, though I'll add that games should ship with English (if they're made in Japan) and other Multi-5 languages only if the creators of the game are okay with it and it's not too expensive for them to do a dub. 

As for not understanding Japanese, you can get used to it pretty quickly.

I mean, if that's what you think, I honestly think it will be better for you to move to games such as Dota 2 and Counter-Strike - everyone speaks English there, no need to think and it's just a good old "chill time". Every hobby requires work and open-mindedness, you're just missing out if this is your thinking.

As for "FF being dead", very ignorant statement. You can dislike something or like it but if you say "something is dead for me because... I don't even know because why, ah maybe it's not green anymore!", you're just being ignorant. 

I could get used to listening to Japanese, but I wouldn't enjoy the experience as much.

I do believe the original author should have the right to demand accuracy and quality of a dub, but not to veto the inclusion of a dub entirely. If they have a problem with the concept of their work being dubbed for a foreign language release, they don't deserve to profit from the foreign region. While no games should be limited to any one region/country/language, international versions of games should not be feature incomplete. The ability to understand what is being said is not only a feature, but arguably the most important feature of a story driven game. Subtitles don't cut it - if the original release has text *and* speech in the domestic language, then both the text and speech must be translated/localized for foreign cultures to get the intended experience.

On 11/14/2020 at 9:06 AM, ShonenKokoro said:

C'mon man. Your better then this.

I agree with your initial statement for the most part. The thing is that people play games for different reasons. Or at the very least have different priorities on what they want out of them. What some people like might not be enjoyed by others.  Even when it comes to JRPGs that have a big focus on story telling, there are players out there who love the min/maxing playstyle and don't care too much about the story. Yet they are still enjoying the game regardless. So are they in the wrong for not having higher priority on the story? Do you think they are ruining the experience by trying to play the game that they want? Every hobby should have open-mindedness. So why are you not being open minded about his opinion and simply disagree?

As with the Final Fantasy statement being dead, he is saying it is dead to HIM. As in to himself. Not that it is dead to everyone. I really don't know if I can call myself a Final Fantasy "fan" exactly. But I am probably one of the few people here who would defend the fact that XV isn't that bad of a game. Even though many will disagree, that's fine. Because we know how to learn and accept the fact that people have different opinions. When someone disagrees with you over a topic over video games, you really shouldn't take it personally.

10 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

I really don't know if I can call myself a Final Fantasy "fan" exactly.

I’m in the same boat. I enjoy the first 6 games and FF9, but other entries...honestly I just don’t have the desire to check them out or I tried playing them but they did nothing for me. Whenever people mention the series the first games I think of are 4, 6, and 9. 4 in particular helped me get into RPGs more when I first played it, but it was from that and past experiences I knew what I would like from an RPG.

If someone is a big fan of the series, then hey, good for them. I figure RPG fans can find at least one Final Fantasy game that clicks for them, whether they are fans of the series or not.

10 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I’m in the same boat. I enjoy the first 6 games and FF9, but other entries...honestly I just don’t have the desire to check them out or I tried playing them but they did nothing for me. Whenever people mention the series the first games I think of are 4, 6, and 9. 4 in particular helped me get into RPGs more when I first played it, but it was from that and past experiences I knew what I would like from an RPG.

If someone is a big fan of the series, then hey, good for them. I figure RPG fans can find at least one Final Fantasy game that clicks for them, whether they are fans of the series or not.

My problem is that I actually enjoy a lot of the mainline titles and spinoffs. The only two pre-PS2 era Final Fantasies I really didn't care for was 2 and 8. Final Fantasy was what got me into RPGs as well. Final Fantasy 6 is what I would consider to be one of my "first" RPGs that really got me invested (along with Chrono Trigger). The reason why I really don't know if I can call myself a fan is that the games that I don't enjoy are games that I REALLY don't like. There seems to be very little middle ground when it comes to Final Fantasy titles for me. It is either love or hate at this point.

At least with Dragon Quest, the only main line title that I really didn't care for was 2. Even then I still consider it to be a decent game and still enjoy it when I get in the mood. The only games I really don't like are spinoffs anyways. So looking at the series as a whole, I have a much more positive outlook and respect for the series. I can't say the same for Final Fantasy.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Twinkie said:

My problem is that I actually enjoy a lot of the mainline titles and spinoffs. The only two pre-PS2 era Final Fantasies I really didn't care for was 2 and 8. Final Fantasy was what got me into RPGs as well. Final Fantasy 6 is what I would consider to be one of my "first" RPGs that really got me invested (along with Chrono Trigger). The reason why I really don't know if I can call myself a fan is that the games that I don't enjoy are games that I REALLY don't like. There seems to be very little middle ground when it comes to Final Fantasy titles for me. It is either love or hate at this point.

At least with Dragon Quest, the only main line title that I really didn't care for was 2. Even then I still consider it to be a decent game and still enjoy it when I get in the mood. The only games I really don't like are spinoffs anyways. So looking at the series as a whole, I have a much more positive outlook and respect for the series. I can't say the same for Final Fantasy.

Oh, I’m right there with you for the love or hate thing! When I originally tried playing FF7, I just could not get into it at all. I tried playing the game for what it was and ignored how it’s so highly praised...but I just wasn’t enjoying it. For as narrative driven as FF became at that point, the story and characters weren’t doing it for me. Normally if the gameplay is good I won’t worry so much on narrative stuff, which was the case for Fire Emblem Fates for example, but I just wasn’t having fun playing FF7 either. Nothing clicked for me.

I’m sure some would argue “Oh you had to play it when it was new,” or something similar, but I’ve played plenty of games from either before my time or ones I never touched when growing up due to a lack of the system and have enjoyed them.

With Dragon Quest, the only game I don’t like is DQ9, but at this point it’s more of an exaggerated hate. I still think it’s a decent game, but there were elements to it that just didn’t make it as enjoyable as other DQ games.

• Like 2

I like FF7 and FF8 (haven't finished either yet tho) but just can't get into any other FF game. I've tried, in fact I own at least one version of each FF from 1-9, excluding (the real) III. But the only ones to ever actually capture my interest were VII and VIII... And VII has always lost me by the end of disk 1. (I'm very far into VIII though, on what is essentially my first playthrough.)