Apparently, DQ IV on the PS1 has an attract mode with special cutscenes.

If you leave the game alone on the title screen through the end of the Overture, the attract mode is seven minutes of cutscenes showing Ragnar, Alena/Kiryl/Borya, Torneko, and Maya/Meena before (?) their respective chapters begin. The DS and mobile remakes don't have this and only loop the title screen! I recorded a video since there doesn't seem to be a YouTube video of it:

The general idea of each story goes like this according to Google Translate (a natural translation would be greatly appreciated!).

Ragnar:

Spoiler

He's watching a training session where the supervisor says "Don't hold back in your training! The real fight is nothing like this!" Another guard walks in and asks Ragnar if he was on patrol earlier that day. A child sees some guards checking around town (one says "all clear" near the well) and thinks they're cool. Ragnar saw the first people to beg the king of Burland to find their missing children (first, because the king is shocked to hear the news). Ragnar later goes with some other soldiers to the cave west of Burland.

Alena/Kiryl/Borya:

Spoiler

Borya (as well as the soldier captain, apparently) is at his wit's end with Alena's tomboyish antics and her attempts at escaping the castle. Before she leaves the one-sided conversation, she orders Kiryl to pretend he doesn't know her whereabouts, much to Borya's frustration. She tries to leave the castle by lying to the guards that she has her father's permission. They laugh in her face as the king is right behind them and doesn't recall giving her any permission. He had been dreaming recently that something bad (exactly what, he doesn't remember) would happen if she goes outside; she responds with her dream of killing a large bear with a kick to the stomach, and demonstrates it on a pillar. Responses: "...Oh?" "...Good grief."

Torneko (unfortunately, this part doesn't tell us anything new about him):

Spoiler

Tessie wakes him up so his boss won't hit him again for not showing up early. She gives him his lunch and wishes him good luck. He's late anyway, and his boss was waiting for him. He orders Torneko to work hard and says he'll be downstairs. After two customers come in (one buys a sword, another wants to buy a club but doesn't have the money), the boss says it's closing time. Tessie welcomes him back, thanks him for working hard until late at night, and says it's time to go to bed. That night, she talks about their desire to have their own shop someday.

Maya/Meena:

Spoiler

An audience member at one of Maya's shows tries to dance with her on stage, but changes his mind and goes for Meena. Maya gets angry about him touching her sister and puts him in front of the crowd. He suggests the three of them dance together, and Maya attacks him on stage after some hesitation. Their manager scolds them for scaring away customers and says if it happens again, he'll have to let them go, no matter how popular they are. Maya apologizes, and Meena says she hopes to find their father's assistant in the large audiences. In the battle, Meena draws Star from her silver tarot cards. At their father's grave, Meena says to him that they're doing their best and that they will avenge him.

• Like 2

I'm kind of surprised to see this is news (I've known for years) but I guess it makes sense. It wasn't released in the west, after all.

Oh, I'm sure other people knew about this before me. I had imported a cheap copy months ago and found out about this when I loaded the disc in a PS1 emulator. I thought other people would like to know.