RPGs on the incoming generation of consoles

Anyone see anything they like and want to discuss?

As for me, nothing has peaked my interest so I think I'll hold out for a year or so and enjoy price drops on current games. By then Sony and Microsoft will probably have some pro version or bundle they're ready to talk about. 

Denizens, what are your thoughts on these incoming consoles Roleplaying Games associated thereto?

• Like 1

Demon’s Souls. That’s all you need.

I’m in the middle of a Harry Potter book marathon so that’s got me interested in that RPG coming next year...on PS4.

The issue is that the vast majority of next gen games will also be available on PS4 and XBone, and for less, often with a free upgrade to next gen. This is a unique generation coming up because it mostly deals with performance and load times, and less with graphics, so very few games that will be coming in the next few years will require being on next gen.

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

Nothing has piqued my interest yet either. It'd take a DQ exclusive.

Yeah about the same for me, unless the kids come up with a good reason for a PS5

35 minutes ago, Woodus said:

Yeah about the same for me, unless the kids come up with a good reason for a PS5

Like Demon’s Souls.

Jokes aside, there isn’t anything coming to the next set of consoles that I’m interested in other than the Demon’s Souls remake for the PS5. It being handled by Bluepoint Studios makes me happy since they did so well with the Shadow of the Colossus remake, but it’s also the one SoulsBorne game I haven’t played since I never owned a PS3. I don’t plan to get a PS5 any time soon, but I am happy the Demon’s Souls remake is going to be a title for the system.

7 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Demon’s Souls. That’s all you need.

Yup. Really the only game I really care about as well. It is hard to really look forward on the current gen with no other exclusives yet. Especially considering the Switch is a powerhouse of a machine for RPGs right now. I am more excited with the new generation of GPUs on PC right now.

This is about what I expected from the Den, but I figured I'd bring it up. 

Hopefully we get some post-worthy JRPG news in the future. Until then, I'll keep enjoying my post-price-drop RPGs at less than half the price of new. 

• Like 1

Hey, I've still got a lot of PS4 stuff I could play. I'd commit to getting P5 Royal and playing it, but@eal would tease me the next 3 years I don't play it.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Hey, I've still got a lot of PS4 stuff I could play. I'd commit to getting P5 Royal and playing it, but@eal would tease me the next 3 years I don't play it.

Keep your eyes on Best Buy’s website specifically. At some point during Black Friday month, Royal is gonna be $20.

• Upvote 1

I can’t wait for Dragon Quest XI S Deluxe Definitely Definitive Edition featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry Series to come out on the PS5 and the new Xbox.

• Like 1

So far there aren't many next-gen games I care about but there are a few...

• Returnal looks interesting, it's sci-fi roguelike apparently? It's promising but I'm not entirely sold on it.
  • Pragmata from Capcom... a bit strange, reminded me of Death Stranding. Really need to see more information. I wish they would remake Breath of Fire I and II instead of this. Why is it that companies like Square Enix or Capcom have 100 millions for games like Marvel's Avengers or all the Resident Evil games that didn't sell, but they can't afford Breath of Fire remake?
  • Final Fantasy XVI - absolutely day one, very excited. I'm worried about the director of it being the person who directed The Last Remnant, though. TLR is a turning point in Square Enix's history and the current president (Matsuda) doesn't seem to understand how much of a failure TLR was. Not just financially, I mean. And they give FF to that guy who directed it? However, the involvement of Yoshi-P makes me believe that the game will be at least better than FF XV... and that's already a win.
  • Balan Wonderland - seems like Square Enix wanted to try doing platformers again. They made quite a few during PSX era but then it just stopped. Balan Wonderland seems very good so far.
  • Stray - it's that game about a (robot?) cat that was shown on Sony's event. I'm willing to know more about it but I have a feeling it'll be one of those indies that look very promising at first and then just end up plain and boring to play. I'll keep an eye on it.
  • Lastly, Demon's Souls - the graphics look fantastic in some areas, but in others it's like a PS3 game... which is fair, considering it's a remake of the PS3 game. I'll definitely get it as I love Souls and Miyazaki's games. 

Edited by ShonenKokoro
  • Like 2

On 11/8/2020 at 10:11 AM, eal said:

Keep your eyes on Best Buy’s website specifically. At some point during Black Friday month, Royal is gonna be $20.

Oh really...!

• Like 1
On 11/8/2020 at 7:11 AM, eal said:

On 11/12/2020 at 6:55 AM, Plattym3 said:

Oh really...!

On 11/12/2020 at 6:35 PM, ShonenKokoro said:

There's a lot of DLC for it, though. I am usually not that much into DLC but Royal has music, costumes, bosses from previous Persona games. I ended up getting Ultimate Edition.

Well I guess now I gotta keep my eye out too. 

I wanted to dive into Persona with this title. Twenty bucks seems like a damn cheap way to do so.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

Well I guess now I gotta keep my eye out too. 

I wanted to dive into Persona with this title. Twenty bucks seems like a damn cheap way to do so.

Today’s that day then.

7D97C907-91D8-4FE6-948B-4F0DE077B4F4.jpeg.275fd3609f3415a4163a072dc59e164c.jpeg

1 hour ago, eal said:

Today’s that day then.

It's showing at $51.99 for me 😞

Nevermind. I wasn't a member of the cool kids club.  Now I am.  Now it's $20

3 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

It's showing at $51.99 for me 😞

Nevermind. I wasn't a member of the cool kids club.  Now I am.  Now it's $20

5 hours ago, eal said:

Today’s that day then.

Yup. Bought it last night after posting. Thanks guys!!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

Yup. Bought it last night after posting. Thanks guys!!

spacer.png

Spoiler

Before anyone reacts, don’t take the gif seriously.

I see a spoiler tag, but I'm going to react to your gif!

Oh yeah, you just wait.

Shiver in your timbers, it's coming.

Let me just beat P5R and then I'm letting you have it!

35 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

but I'm going to react to your gif!

Anyone else see Kelsey Grammer in that gif as the eyepatch guy? That’s the first one that came up when I typed in “May God have mercy on his soul gif.” I can’t think of any movies/shows Kelsey Grammer was in where he wore an eyepatch.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

spacer.png

Hide contents

Before anyone reacts, don’t take the gif seriously.

Hahahahaha

I imagine it’ll be early 2021 when I finally get around to starting it so I’m sure you guys will hear about my shenanigans.

Anyone else see Kelsey Grammer in that gif as the eyepatch guy? That’s the first one that came up when I typed in “May God have mercy on his soul gif.” I can’t think of any movies/shows Kelsey Grammer was in where he wore an eyepatch.
Down Periscope
  • Like 1