Gematsu: "Dragon Quest series creator Yuji Horii teases various announcements for 35th anniversary in 2021"

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/11/dragon-quest-series-creator-yuji-horii-teases-various-announcements-for-35th-anniversary-in-2021

Dragon-Quest-Tease_11-01-20.jpg

2021 will mark the 35th anniversary of the Dragon Quest series in Japan, and creator Yuji Horii has said to expect various announcements in celebration.

During his closing remarks at Dragon Quest X Fall Festival 2020 on October 30, Horii said, "Thank you very much for today. Next year, Dragon Quest will celebrate its 35th anniversary. I believe we will be able to make all sorts of announcements in regards to that. And there is still a whole lot of fun to look forward to in Astoltia [the world of Dragon Quest X]. Please continue to support Dragon Quest in the future. Thank you very much!"

There are a number of Dragon Quest projects known to be in development that Square Enix can share updates about in 2021, including:

• Infinity StrashDragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai – Announced in May 2020Infinity StrashDragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai is an action RPG based on the manga and anime series Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai. Platforms other than "console(s)" were not announced, but it will launch in 2021 in Japan.
  • Dragon Quest XII – Preparations for Dragon Quest XII were first confirmed to be underway in June 2019. And in January 2020, Yuji Horii commented again stating that the sequel is "still a little while ahead." That could rule out a 2021 release, but not a 2021 reveal.
    • Dragon Quest New HD Title – In June 2019, Square Enix posted job listings for work on a "new HD title" in the Dragon Quest series, with a goal to "deliver a new appeal of Dragon Quest to fans worldwide." Given the timing of the job posting and the fact that it is from the Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age development team, it is possible this project is Dragon Quest XII.
  • Dragon Quest Monsters New Title – A new Dragon Quest Monsters game for console(s) starring younger versions of Erik and Mia from Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age was first announced in November 2018. But in January 2020, series producer Taichi Inuzuka suggested the game was facing a troubled development.
Edited by Dakhil
  • Like 2

Crossing my fingers, toes, and kidneys!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I expect nothing. Will be happy for anything
If anything, you have more reasons to push out your signature "It's coming!" or "It's not coming!" stamps like nobody's business.
  • Like 1

My predictions:

• Dragon Quest 12 will see first screens, which were delayed to assure DQ11's final release wasn't overshadowed.  Will go Switch + PS5 + PS4 + Xbox + Windows/Steam/Epic.
  • Dragon Quest 9 remake for Switch
  • Infinity Strash new announcement, possible new showcasing
  • Mia and Erik either postponed further, or we see first screens, and it's a totally new system, maybe an action + tb hybrid system, and new breeding system
  • Dragon Quest Heroes 3, and possibly Builders 3, PS4, PS5, Switch, and Steam for both or either game.
  • maybe...Zenithian port on Switch
  • maybe...hints at 7 and 8 going Switch...no promises, just a teaser statement after a preplanned question related to 7 and 8 given 1~3 were already on Switch, now 4~6, 9, 10, and even 11, so why not 7 and 8? 4~6 end of 2021, and they'll hold off on 7 and 8 official announcement until just prior to 9's remake release.
  • DQ10 new update plans
  • maybe...new content for existing mobile games, most notably Tact and the new Dai game.
  • maybe...DQ3 remake teaser, using UE4.  Planned for release prior to DQ9r and 12.
8 minutes ago, ignasia said:

My predictions:

• Dragon Quest 12 will see first screens, which were delayed to assure DQ11's final release wasn't overshadowed.  Will go Switch + PS5 + PS4 + Xbox + Windows/Steam/Epic.
  • Dragon Quest 9 remake for Switch
  • Infinity Strash new announcement, possible new showcasing
  • Mia and Erik either postponed further, or we see first screens, and it's a totally new system, maybe an action + tb hybrid system, and new breeding system
  • Dragon Quest Heroes 3, and possibly Builders 3, PS4, PS5, Switch, and Steam for both or either game.
  • maybe...Zenithian port on Switch
  • maybe...hints at 7 and 8 going Switch...no promises, just a teaser statement after a preplanned question related to 7 and 8 given 1~3 were already on Switch, now 4~6, 9, 10, and even 11, so why not 7 and 8? 4~6 end of 2021, and they'll hold off on 7 and 8 official announcement until just prior to 9's remake release.
  • DQ10 new update plans
  • maybe...new content for existing mobile games, most notably Tact and the new Dai game.
  • maybe...DQ3 remake teaser, using UE4.  Planned for release prior to DQ9r and 12.

I've been wanting to buy DQ8 for 3DS for like 5 months but I haven't been able to because other desired purchases got in the way and I'm concerned about price since the 3DS was discontinued this year.

I hope DQ8 for switch is a thing so I can buy it when it's actually being sold.

Edited by DragonQuest2IsGood

I just want a Dragon Quest cooking game.

• Like 1
I don't really know much about Tact, is it really that bad/boring?
Ehhh, I have next to zero tolerance for mobile gacha games. It's fine likely, but I don't like tactical combat either, so it's a NO NO from me.
10 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I just want a Dragon Quest cooking game.

Now that Cooking Mama’s time has ended, it’s a new contender’s turn to step into the ring.

On 11/2/2020 at 10:30 PM, DragonQuest2IsGood said:

I don't really know much about Tact, is it really that bad/boring?

I was in the CBT. It was alright. It was better then Stars. But I really don't see myself really playing it that much. The gameplay loop was decent enough. The story was trash though. Just like all other mobile games. Of course you have to deal with gacha BS as well. It appears the game will have some PvP system in it as well. Which is going to be trash for anyone who doesn't want to spend entire paychecks on it.

On 11/1/2020 at 6:56 PM, Plattym3 said:

I expect nothing. Will be happy for anything

If only everyone else on the internet had a good mentality like this. I am going in with no expectations as well. But Dragon Quest Builders 3 would be hype for me.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DragonQuest2IsGood said:

I don't know if I could ever live like that. That's the kinda thing that leads to nihilism.

Wishful thinking or even being hopeful is fine. It becomes a problem when others start having expectations over something we know next to nothing about.

• Like 1

DQ 8 for Switch with 60 fps would have been fantastic. I'm going to play the 3DS version but I'm sensitive to framerate, so 60 fps would be great... if not, it's not a big deal. I'll be fine with the 3DS version. Then we have DQ 4-9 - all of them need a Switch release, honestly. I see a lot of people asking "what to play after DQ XI?" and the moment you tell them "there's so many older DQ games", they kind of want to know... but then they hear the games are on older platforms and interest goes poof. So, maybe some kind of collection for Switch would encourage people. 

Other than that... I think Builders 3 is way too early. Heroes 3 is very possible but I think it's too early. Omega Force are busy with Zelda Age of Calamity. DQ IX remake - honestly seems very likely to happen but would it work in a 3D format? They would need to rework a lot in the game to make sure it doesn't scare off people who are used to 3D graphics and cinematography of XI.

What else.... DQ XII announcement (just a logo) is likely to happen but I doubt the release will be soon. DQ 8 came out 4 years after PS2 console release date, DQ XI came out 4 years after PS4's release date. Then there's covid pandemic.. I doubt it'll release earlier than FF XVI or even FF VII Remake Part 2. So, DQ IX remake and all the ports are very possible. Then they could also finally give us DQ X... I think we have a good chance this time and here's why:
1) literally no MMORPG on PS5 as of now, even FF XIV is not officially supporting PS5. Bethesda moved to Xbox, so they might not have enough time and resources to do PS5 release for Elder Scrolls Online. FF XIV seems to be gearing up for a new addon but it'll likely take them 2021 to get it done, maybe even 2022 if they decide to update the graphics;

2) DQ X looks pretty good on PC and PS4 and I think it could keep the fire of expectations burning until the release of XII (which is years away). There needs to be a steady flow of new games in the franchise to keep it alive. DQ XI came out in 2017, then we've had Builders 2 in 2019, Heroes 2 in 2016 and I-III on Switch in 2019 with DQ XI Definitive on top. 2020 haven't had anything except that announcement of Dai games and Definitive Edition for Xbox, PS4, PC. The momentum is slipping and they need something quick, DQ X could be that temporary heal.

3) Square Enix clearly sees the interest USA gamers have in the game if they lifted the IP-ban.

I think there are good announcement on the horizon and I hope it's not just Dai that we'll see on the 35th anniversary :D 

Edited by ShonenKokoro
  • Like 1