Sugiyama chosen as "Person of Cultural Merit" in Japan

Among this year's recipients of the Japanese "Person of Cultural Merit" award is Sugiyama, the composer of almost all of the Dragon Quest games. Last year, Shigeru Miyamoto, the creator of Mario, received the award as the first person in the video game industry to be awarded last year. Of course Sugiyama isn't known just for his Dragon Quest compositions, having worked on creating songs for anime and pop music in the past as well. There does not seem to be any coverage of this year's awards in English yet. Here is the article on NHK. In the article Sugiyama is quoted as saying that he intends to continue the work he has done in games and other fields.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Mimas said:

There does not seem to be any coverage of this year's awards in English yet.

He's been canceled by mainstream gaming press, so I doubt there's gonna be any. Best we can hope for are snide Twitter posts.

After what we’ve found out about him, I’m not surprised he’s essentially been canceled. I love Sugiyama’s music, but that’s the only thing I like about the guy.

• Like 3
On 10/27/2020 at 1:35 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

After what we’ve found out about him, I’m not surprised he’s essentially been canceled. I love Sugiyama’s music, but that’s the only thing I like about the guy.

A lot of that stuff is either over blown or out of context. 

Oh, I got the full context of quite a bit of his stuff. It's pretty terrible and not in your typical arrogant, hypocritical gaming press/ResetEra hysterics kind of way.