Still very early in dq lll and I made one of my party members a thief is it a good class to keep? Or later should I promote him to another class? I have the hero , a priest , and a mage as well.

On the GBC version, I usually train Thieves as a side party because of their ability to steal items after battle (it basically increases your chances of an item drop). Hero, Priest, Mage is a good trio to have. The great thing about this game is that you can customize your team a lot.

Some general recommendations:

Don't reclass more than two characters at a time, because it leaves you vulnerable.

Its good to reclass Priests to a Warrior, or even to a Mage or Thief. You can never have too many healers. But at least one should be a high level healer.

Which version are you playing? The NES? SNES? GBC?

• Like 1

I'm play the switch version which I think is technically the mobile? So you are saying I can turn my priest into a warrior and they can heal and attack?

Yep! Basically, when you reclass, your stats are all halved*, and you keep any spells you learned. You then start gaining stats and spells as the new class.

*I think this is the right number, I could be wrong though

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

When you reclass, all of your stats are halved. You keep all spells learned so far.

So, if you have a Priest with 150MP and knows 12 spells, and you change it to a Warrior, then you will get a lv1 Warrior with 75MP and those 12 spells. It can equip everything a Warrior can until you reclass again.

Late game, you want to train a class to a high level so they can learn all of their spells and have better stats. Early game, you should probably reclass a couple characters when they hit level 20.

Remember, Fighters and Warriors don't gain MP on level ups, so they will be very limited on their spells. And they won't learn any spells, either.

I usually reclass all three of my characters one at a time when I get there. Priest->Warrior works because he's good in combat, but can heal in a pinch. Priest->Thief is great, because Thieves are pretty balanced. They have decent equipment, decent attack, decent HP/MP, and great speed. (FYI, your base Defense is Agility÷2).

The biggest word of warning, when you reclass, you'll have to level them up again. You'll want to use a Warpwing to go to earlier areas until they're around lv12 or so.

And as a final note: My game style is to hit hard physically, heal when needed, and use buff spells when a monster is too strong. Your playstyle will differ, and therefor, your party will differ.

Edited by Wes
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Wes said:

On the GBC version, I usually train Thieves as a side party because of their ability to steal items after battle (it basically increases your chances of an item drop). Hero, Priest, Mage is a good trio to have.

Just make sure you don't use 'em when you're farming Monster Medals.  The item drops actually override the Medal drops!

Edited by FionordeQuester
  • Like 2
5 minutes ago, LesserMetal said:

Thank you guys! Great insight and tips to help. So would it be silly to make my thief into a priest back to a thief?

Kinda silly, but not ridiculous. You would have a fast priest for awhile, then a thief with healing spells. And some more game time because of grinding.

If you reclass a lot, you just have to relevel them again, which is time consuming early game.

There is a lot to multiclassing characters. But early game its basically: Change to a class you want, and keep the spells you learned as the previous class.

What was your Thief before changing class?

Im just past getting the wrecking ball ( worked the weekend so I didn't get a chance to play) and so he is starting off as a thief.

17 minutes ago, LesserMetal said:

Im just past getting the wrecking ball ( worked the weekend so I didn't get a chance to play) and so he is starting off as a thief.

So, you have a Thief, Priest, and Mage?

Hmmm... personally, I would probably do:

Thief->Mage (your offensive spellcaster will be fast. Plus, Mages have poor equipment, so the added defense will help). Make sure your Thief knows Smell and Tiptoe before you do this

Mage->Priest (You'll have a good healer with lots of MP. And he'll have a few buff spells) Make sure your Mage learns Increase, Stepguard, Return, TwinHits first.

Priest->Warrior (He'll be your third tier healer. The Mage->Priest will be your main healer, and your hero will be second)

Obviously, not all at once. This will probably also give you a feel for what reclassing really does too.

I'd say Jesters, Sages, and Fighters are advanced classes. Jesters are hard to use, but they can be promoted to Sage without using the Zen Scroll. Sages learn both Mage and Priest spells, but they take longer to level (I think its like 1.5x experience?). Fighters get an increased critical hit rate, no MP, and they level up even slower than Sages.

And keep watching this topic. I've played Dragon Warrior 3 a lot on my Game Boy Color, but there are people at these forums who probably have a PhD in how to play the game.

Edited by Wes
  • Like 1

Right on! Thank you very much for the direction it will definitely help I'll just keep grinding as I go. I love these mechanics in games because you never know what people can come up with!

• Like 1