Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hello, I'm new to the Dragon Quest community and figured it wouldn't hurt to make a post. What are some of your favorite games and did it take anyone some time to get hooked?

My first game was swords that I bought for the Wii and honestly I didn't like it and I thought all dragon quest games were like that because I had never played one before. When 11 came out I was very excited by what I saw and I got 11s for my switch and beat it, I then ordered the 1,2,3 switch release from play asia and as of now I've beaten 11, 1 and 2 , I'm currently playing 3 . I have already bought a copy of 4 for the ds. So to say the least I'm now HOOKED and plan on playing all the mainline games in order and most likely a couple of the spinoff titles. 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, LesserMetal said:

Hello, I'm new to the Dragon Quest community and figured it wouldn't hurt to make a post.

You thought wrong! *Uses Master Stroke from DQ: Swords*

  

38 minutes ago, LesserMetal said:

What are some of your favorite games and did it take anyone some time to get hooked?

My first game was swords that I bought for the Wii and honestly I didn't like it and I thought all dragon quest games were like that because I had never played one before. When 11 came out I was very excited by what I saw and I got 11s for my switch and beat it, I then ordered the 1,2,3 switch release from play asia and as of now I've beaten 11, 1 and 2 , I'm currently playing 3 . I have already bought a copy of 4 for the ds. So to say the least I'm now HOOKED and plan on playing all the mainline games in order and most likely a couple of the spinoff titles. 

 

I've played 1-6, and 9. I've also played DWM1 and 2, and Joker 1 and 2. Lastly, I've played Swords, and I've played Rocket Slime.

Favorite two mainline games are 3 and 9. If you like 3, then you will probably enjoy 9. Its very similar, because you have a hero and 3 allies. However, all characters (including the hero) pick a class, and have options to train in other classes. So, you have a highly customizable team. It also features a lot of Legacy bosses, including Dragonlord and Malroth.

I also recommend the Monsters series. I personally love DWM 1. A lot of people here like DWM 2. The Joker games are pretty good too. DWM 1 has 215 monsters from Dragon Quest 1-6, including 15 bosses (Dragonlord's 2 forms, Malroth, Baramos, etc...)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've heard good things about rocket slime and plan to play it. Wonder if they would remake swords for switch? Since getting into the series more now  I would probably enjoy my time with it a little more.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome!!!!

Swords is definitely different from the mainline games, but I'm glad you were able to get back into it with XI!

 

My favorite game of all time is DQVIII. I'm biased, but I highly recommend that one. :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bluestar said:

Welcome!!!!

Swords is definitely different from the mainline games, but I'm glad you were able to get back into it with XI!

 

My favorite game of all time is DQVIII. I'm biased, but I highly recommend that one. :)

Excited to get there for sure! I played a ton of jrpgs on ds and 3ds it's my favorite genre but I never heard much about dragon quest so I'm working way back through. Definitely wish there was better western marketing for DQ more ppl would probably have fallen in love way sooner!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I fell upon it completely by accident. When my family had just gotten a PS2 (around 2008 I think), we found DQVIII in the bargain bin for $8 at Gamestop. I was pretty young then, so it took a few years and 2 or 3 playthroughs for me to really understand what was going on, but after that point, there was no going back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bluestar said:

 

 

22 minutes ago, Bluestar said:

I fell upon it completely by accident. When my family had just gotten a PS2 (around 2008 I think), we found DQVIII in the bargain bin for $8 at Gamestop. I was pretty young then, so it took a few years and 2 or 3 playthroughs for me to really understand what was going on, but after that point, there was no going back.

I think I'm there myself 😂. After 11 I had to see how it got to where it is today and so far I've like both 1 and 2 . Wish 2 had a little more direction but I looked online for help and found the guides here which helped when I was stuck. Also listening to all the DQ podcasts have given me some great insight to the series and the fan base is AMAZING!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I got into DQ when DWM came out for the GBC. We were all playing Pokemon Red, and Blue at that time (middle school), and one of my friends got a copy of DWM. Two of us played it like crazy. I still remember being at the park, having a 2v2 battle, GoldGolem+Zoma vs GoldGolem+Baramos. He beat me because of EvilSlash.

I also have a vague memory from when I was around 8. I rented some NES game, and I remember the Traveler's Gate. Pretty sure I was playing the NES version of DW2, but I didn't give it much thought at the time.

Anyway, DW/DQ is probably my second favorite RPG series of all time. Ahead of Final Fantasy, and just behind Pokemon. I really wish it had the same recognition as Final Fantasy, but that's life

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Wes said:

I got into DQ when DWM came out for the GBC. We were all playing Pokemon Red, and Blue at that time (middle school), and one of my friends got a copy of DWM. Two of us played it like crazy. I still remember being at the park, having a 2v2 battle, GoldGolem+Zoma vs GoldGolem+Baramos. He beat me because of EvilSlash.

I also have a vague memory from when I was around 8. I rented some NES game, and I remember the Traveler's Gate. Pretty sure I was playing the NES version of DW2, but I didn't give it much thought at the time.

Anyway, DW/DQ is probably my second favorite RPG series of all time. Ahead of Final Fantasy, and just behind Pokemon. I really wish it had the same recognition as Final Fantasy, but that's life

I'm HUGE into pokemon as well growing up with it it's hard to beat (I'm 28). My second favorite series has been fire emblem for a long time my friend and I use to play path of radiance on GameCube all the time , but I tell you what DQ is pushing it for that place. Very glad I found the series and gave it another try.

Favorite pokemon game? Favorite pokemon?

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, LesserMetal said:

I'm HUGE into pokemon as well growing up with it it's hard to beat (I'm 28). My second favorite series has been fire emblem for a long time my friend and I use to play path of radiance on GameCube all the time , but I tell you what DQ is pushing it for that place. Very glad I found the series and gave it another try.

Favorite pokemon game? Favorite pokemon?

I'll be 33 in about a month. I was 11 when Red came to America.

Mewtwo held that title for a long time because of his unrivaled power. Later replaced by Kyogre when Sapphire came out. Because Water moves were based on Special, and Kyogre's special was through the roof, Drizzle made him ridiculously strong.

My favorite types are probably Fire, Psychic, and Dark. I love Charizard, Houndoom, and Espeon. I've only beaten gen 1-4 so far, and I'm currently playing Black. Favorite game so far... ... Sapphire or Platinum.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Soulsilver, Articuno :)

 

I'm a water and ice type fan. My first game was actually Blue Mystery Dungeon, but my first game from the main series was Diamond.

Edited by Bluestar
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh right on guys! I love grass , ground and electric types the most , my favorite game is Ruby/sapphire and my all time favorite pokemon is Sceptile. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the Dragon's Den, our own little slice of the Internet! It's the happiest place on Earth, for those that love DQ.

Enjoyed reading your stuff! Gotten back into Pokémon myself with little ones now.

Hope you stick around and share in all our adventures!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

All the main games are great in their own way.

My favourites are DQ4 because of the cast of characters.

DQ7 for the exploration and slow burn, hangout good times.

DQ10 because it's like DQ x Infinity.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

DQ4 is a good starting point.

Link to post
Share on other sites

^ I concur. This is a comprehensive look at each group of games in the series. It's entirely dependent upon your interests for what to play next. The RPGamer guide that our own @Plattym3 primarily authored gives you a thorough view of each sub-series, so you can make an informed decision.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you guys! I have actually been reading that a but at a time at work when I get a second and it's great! I think my plan is to go in order as best I can , I was looking 5 on ds seems to be reasonable but 6&9 are even pricier then what 4 was.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll tell you this: when I got into the main series back in 2010 (after having only played the Monsters spinoffs on Gameboy Color as a kid years before) I just went with the first ones that interested me most. Those ended up being Dragon Quest III for the Gameboy Color and Dragon Quest IV for the DS.
 

From my experiences with games of all kinds, go with entries in a series that interest you the most. Don’t worry about whatever the most popular ones are, or the fan favorites: you go with your gut and get the game(s) that interest you. Those are the ones you’ll enjoy the most and remember the most.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to play Rocket Slime for sure , and I'm really hoping they bring the heroes games to switch in the US because I have way more time to play handheld than on my PS4 with having two kids.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...