Hey guys.  I'm having a bit of a conundrum.

I just bought a new phone, and I can't transfer my saves from one to the other.

My new phone's Google syncing isn't recognizing Google Play.  So Google Cloud saves can't transfer.

For DQ3, there are no cloud save options, so I have to use another app like Helium.  However I can't find any instance of anyone with my problem:

1. I installed Helium on both devices, synced up nicely to the computer, no issues.
  2. I uploaded my app data to an SD card, then plugged the SD card into the other phone.  The other phone doesn't recognize that there's any data present.
  3. I placed the same card back into the old phone, and it pulls up the data in Helium as a backup, for me to use to restore.
  4. I reformatted the card, did it again, same issue.

Helium is the 6th app I've used, and the only one that will actually transfer save data, but clearly the current version puts in a forced data check on the phone that's used, and will thus not allow any other phone to see what's backed up on the card, probably without paying for the premium version, which I don't want to do, as it's just one game, and only one set of data to transfer that won't transfer via the other apps I've used.

So my question is, does anyone know a free to use app that actually transfers over save data?

If you're going to tell me to just start over, do know that while DQ3 doesn't track play time, my main save has 3 level 99 Thieves/MA's/Sages, and I'm working on 3 Gadabouts, all with maxed stats, max HP, and normal max MP (255/6 for the MA's, 510~12 for the others).  That's a fair amount of work that I'd prefer not to start all over again.

So if anyone knows any other app that does what Helium does, but for free, and no shenanigan's like locking backups to just the phone that was used without paying, I would REALLY appreciate it.

• Like 1

Alright, since no one seems to have any idea, I'll just keep checking every potential app.  I just learned there's a specific Android transfer app Google created.  So I'll give that a shot next, as that's likely to have or require developer level folder access.

EDIT: I should not have deleted the post with the specific name of google's app, that or Google changed it to just cloud storage and backup, as I can't find it, but there are hundreds of such apps, so 5 is barely a scratch.  More to try until it works.  I'll post what does work thats free to use when I find it.

None of the share apps do it.  Files by Google won't either.  None of them use developer access, which unfortunately for anyone transferring DQ1~3 game files, is REQUIRED.  Thank you SE.  Thank you soooo very much.

Backup Your Mobile doesn't.  I'm having trouble finding backup programs that transfer folder data in the way SE handles saves for 1~3.  So while it picks up the backup data, it only saves the app itself, which, based on how SE crafted it, does not store the save data in a directory channel that would carry over naturally.  Thank you sooooooo much SE.  Thank you.

EDIT: so far only Helium requests developer access, thus all files access through that method.  Something NONE of the other backups I've tried use.  I'm guessing newer apps just don't require that level of permission. Not like it will do anything, but I sent in a ticket to SE to complain about this, specifying why, and what they need to do.  This is really starting to piss me off, as I do not want to spend $5 just to transfer my save data for ONE game.  500 hours or so for $5 I guess is the logic to accept it, but it isn't like I'll be using it again.

Edited by ignasia

Backup & Restore locks backups to the individual phone, just like Helium does now.

Sending/receiving doesn't transfer save data either.  Again...as it doesn't request special developer access which is required for how DQ3 buries its save files.  Just transfers the game itself...this is becoming even more frustrating.

Nevermind the connection protocols for some of these apps sucks for older phones. I'm not sure why, but some connect immediately for transferring, others do not.  This is with either Wifi or Bluetooth.  Seems like no one has my same complaint, as it's not a common thing (so far nonexistent) for these apps to dive deep into the phone file system.  Though it's hilarious having two phones sitting right next to one another, in a room where wifi bars are at max, and seeing the app trying to "find" the other phone...again, and again...and again and again.  Kind of reminds me of networking my school computers, way back when we used windows 95.  That was good fun, or when I tried synching up a linksys extender ($80 down the drain), and it wouldn't read the router, even though I specified the router, and wouldn't read my computer without directly plugging it in, despite manually adding in mac addresses, setting up on the same channel, and having it set up in a room where I was getting max bars, but I needed it to go a bit further. to reach the end of the house.

If I don't get this by tonight, I'll try Helium once more, see if there's a transfer function I missed.

Edited by ignasia
6 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

If this isn't an advertisement for physical media, I don't know what is.

Sorry this is a problem.

LOL, too true.  Though with consoles in recent memory, that will be easier (not PS3 though, given system architecture), like X360 -> XOne -> XSeries, or PS4 -> 5.  Using cloud storage, as every game has universal encoding to note save files, and can use cloud storage.  Just have to set that up.  MS being MUCH easier than Sony or Nintendo, and who knows with Nintendo and other systems (can't transfer between 3DS systems, but you CAN between Switch, but what about Switch 2?...big unknown, but Nintendo is taking some notes).

I mean it isn't like save transfers for PC isn't easy or anything, even for Steam games.  It's just a matter of copying over the folder, but you'd think Android would make this easy.  No.  I might have to learn how to transfer things over manually, by rummaging through the file system.  I think that's my only option.

• Like 1

I can't find it in the file system.  I don't feel like looking for a special app to allow access to system files right now.  I think I might just start over and stop caring about transferring save data over.  It's not worth it, and I can't even be sure the new version of Helium will even allow that transfer to a new phone even if I spend the money.  No direct transfers either, at least in the free version.  Probably available in the premium.

So likely Helium Premium is the only potential possible way.  What appears on my other phone is a file called "No Data," that I can't find anyway to access it or unlock it.  In my old phone it shows the save data.

I should also point out that none of the other backups actually backup the save data.  So deleting the game, then running the backup restores no save data.  Only Helium.  Extra fun.

Testing, as responses seem to be busted for me.  Ok, that worked, but not sure why, but I've had a written response where I fixed my phone issue, that won't post.  I keep getting sent to the den main page with a giant slime, and a "file not found" below it.

I still can't post it.  I can't add it to my edit.  It denies me, tells me I'm not able to edit.

So I'll rewrite it.

========

I'm a bit of a fool.  It's been years since I last used my PC to transfer data directly to and from my PC (like photos).  I hadn't had a phone from 2009 through 2017.  Seriously, that long without a cell phone.  My last one was that old LG VX that opened up for an elongated screen and a keypad.

Further edit: if you don't look at the gamefaqs link below, the fix is I treated my cell phones like external harddrives, and transferred the folders to the exact same file path from one phone to the other.  Using my PC and just natively built in connection software, no special apps.

======

Yeah, the forum checking system is picking up something it finds to be "bad" or "wrong" like potty language or unacceptable statements like threats or something.  @Woodus

This is the post in question, I reposted it on GameFAQs:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/160146-dragon-quest-viii-journey-of-the-cursed-king/78828788/946075317

Edited by ignasia
  • Like 1

Alright, I'm locked in editing the above post, but let's see what happens by retyping that post bit by bit, to see what the issue is:

Anyway, the easy method, and this works for EVERYTHING, is:

1. Unlock developer mode on both phones.
  2. Plug both phones into the computer, select file transfer on both the computer and phone.  Or if it's confusing, plug in the old phone first.
  3. Go straight to the folder with the game, it shouldn't take too long to find it.  Copy-paste the folder to either into the same directory path in the NEW phone, or if plugging just one phone at a time, the computer desktop.
  4. If plugging in one phone at a time, plug in the NEW phone, and make sure to open up the same file path, then copy over the folder from the desktop.

It's done.  Works like a PC when treating it like a bloomin' s et of external harddrives

=====

The issue @Woodus is the word "set"

Edited by ignasia

Could be the way the stupid security module works, maybe it is thinking you are trying to do SQL injection or something. I had problems with posting embedded links for a while and had to complain to support to allow that to work.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Woodus said:

Could be the way the stupid security module works, maybe it is thinking you are trying to do SQL injection or something. I had problems with posting embedded links for a while and had to complain to support to allow that to work.

Interesting.  That makes sense.  Though you'd think the check would look for encoded language, and syntax.  Ah well, that does make sense given the word and potential usage of it in potential code.  LOL.

Well, it's good to know, but sorry you're having issues as well.  In a way I kind of miss the old old forum, but the aesthetics of this one is really nice.