Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai (2020 TV) Anime Discussion

The Matoriv stuff is definitely super unfortunate. His behavior is actually a lot worse in the manga, too. One of the big changes this adaptation has made has been 'cleaning up' most of the sexualized content that appeared here and there in the manga, which is a great relief to me considering most of the characters are teenagers. I don't understand why they didn't excise that aspect of Matoriv's personality entirely as it really sticks out like a sore thumb now.

Not to excuse it or anything, but I seem to remember it becomes much more infrequent as the series goes on.

There are some other instances of bad behavior played for laughs that appear later on in the series that I am curious to see how the adaptation will handle.

Spoiler

Namely surrounding Popp's father, the way the manga framed his behavior towards Popp and how it seemed to be played as a gag was pretty uncomfortable.

• Like 2
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This was quite an emotional episode, even knowing what was coming. I think I am warming up to Zaboera's voice (really sounded wrong to me last episode). Music was on point. Voice acting was also on ta

I haven't seen this topic. I was worried nobody was talking about it. I'm loving this. I have wanted for a new anime for years. I used to watch the old one, it was on TV in Brazil when I was very l

I felt these episodes were done quite well. I was glad that the pacing was a little faster (covering 4 chapters worth of content) in episode 20, so we could get the aftermath of the battle. The soundt

Posted Images

On 3/9/2021 at 11:52 AM, Yistaan said:

I'm a bit late to this as I'm on free crunchyroll (thus get each episode one week late), but I'm absolutely disgusted with Matoriv. He is basically assaulting Maam. Yet it's played for laughs like it's harmless. It's not.

I get that the manga was written decades ago when editors weren't as stringent on such things, but this anime adaptation was made in the 21st century. Yet we're shown even "heroes" like Popp and Dai just let Matoriv's criminal actions slide. If they were true heroes, they would walk out on Matoriv (I don't care how powerful a wizard he is), and turn him over to legal authorities (Princess Leona maybe?) for criminal judgment.

As Estorerica says, they really cleaned him up from the manga. The adaption is trying to walk a thin line in keeping the show appropriate for modern children and trying to be keep the contents of the manga. It is also believed that he is based on a famous Weekly Jump manga editor, Kazuhiko Torishima. Considering that the character from Dr. Slump that is also based off of him is also supposed to be a pervert (haven't read it) and the man originally wanted to be an editor of the Japanese edition of Playboy, I am afraid that these might be a reflection of a real person's behavior. Hopefully it was just a bad joke though, especially since he also was important in the development of the Dragon Quest series itself.

I don't recall Matoriv assaulting anyone later in the series, so at least the worst of it should be over.

14 hours ago, Woodus said:

I just got caught up, out of curiosity is that part with Matoriv spoken as "puff puff" in the Japanese dialog and subtitled differently?

Image below for reference.

Reveal hidden contents

Yes, in the Japanese he says "Puff Puff"

25 minutes ago, esoterica said:

The Matoriv stuff is definitely super unfortunate. His behavior is actually a lot worse in the manga, too. One of the big changes this adaptation has made has been 'cleaning up' most of the sexualized content that appeared here and there in the manga, which is a great relief to me considering most of the characters are teenagers. I don't understand why they didn't excise that aspect of Matoriv's personality entirely as it really sticks out like a sore thumb now.

Not to excuse it or anything, but I seem to remember it becomes much more infrequent as the series goes on.

There are some other instances of bad behavior played for laughs that appear later on in the series that I am curious to see how the adaptation will handle.

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler response:

Spoiler

I've always viewed that scene as showing him as being an abusive father, and to me that explains why Popp behaves like he does as well. No wonder he would run away to join Avan over staying with a father like that. I didn't think the manga gave us any particular reason to like Junk either. Such a fitting name for the man.

• Like 1

Thank you Mimas, was just more curious of that than the creepiness of the scene itself. :thumbsup:

8 hours ago, Mimas said:

Yes, in the Japanese he says "Puff Puff"

9 hours ago, Mimas said:

Spoiler response:

Reveal hidden contents

I've always viewed that scene as showing him as being an abusive father, and to me that explains why Popp behaves like he does as well. No wonder he would run away to join Avan over staying with a father like that. I didn't think the manga gave us any particular reason to like Junk either. Such a fitting name for the man.

Spoiler response:

Spoiler

That's exactly how I read Junk's behavior too, and seeing it that way really helps put Popp's character into perspective! The issue I had was that the scenes of abuse upon Popp's return home had a gag-like framing and appeared to be played off for comic relief. So I'm hoping they remove that aspect of it and just show it for what it is.

I am really enjoying this adaptation so far, minor niggles aside, though I do hope the pacing slows down a bit now that we're creeping up on unanimated territory. The department store episode seemed to take its time and put some original content in (unless my memory fails me again!) which gives me hope in that regard.

Excited to see a new opening and ending soon as well, since we're about due for one!

The first bluray for this on Amazon Japan is constantly out of stock. Hope a western blu ray release happens at some point too.

--holy crap this post bumped my profile to Grandmaster of Gotha, I've been on the DQ4 for like a decade lol

Edited by Fates
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, Fates said:

--holy crap this post bumped my profile to Grandmaster of Gotha, I've been on the DQ4 for like a decade lol

With the decrease in traffic over the years, maybe we should lower the requirements per level?

Donk is a terrible spell name...

On 3/19/2021 at 12:36 AM, Fates said:

The first bluray for this on Amazon Japan is constantly out of stock. Hope a western blu ray release happens at some point too.

The listing is weird, it shows it's in stock for me but they won't ship to my country. If you sign out/use incognito it shows as unavailable. For some reason it's very hard to import.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally at the new content. No new intro song, but some new animation. New ending is pretty good, I like it.

• 2 weeks later...
Finally at the new content. No new intro song, but some new animation. New ending is pretty good, I like it.
They moved past the original anime contents?
On 4/14/2021 at 10:50 AM, Plattym3 said:
On 4/3/2021 at 7:22 PM, Chris said:

They moved past the original anime contents?

Yup. The original only went to up to

Spoiler

the end of the first Baran fight. It ended a bit different though since it wasn’t continuing.

Edited by Chris