Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai (2020 TV) Anime Discussion

On 11/17/2020 at 8:37 AM, DranzerX13 said:

08. Hundred Beast Full Assault
百獣総進撃
Hyakujū so-shingeki
Air Date: 2020/11/21

With Maam joining them on their journey, the three arrive late at night to Romos castle town, and spend their night at the inn. They are awoken by the echoing roar of Crocodine throughout the town. Crocodine, along with his Hundred Beast army are doing a full force attack against Romos castle. Dai soon gives chase to Crocodine and runs from the inn. Maam takes Popp to chase after but... Dai and Crocodine confront each other in the grand hall of Romos castle. Seeing Dai's fast growth he prepares to use the horrible plan that Zaboera left with him.

This was quite an emotional episode, even knowing what was coming. I think I am warming up to Zaboera's voice (really sounded wrong to me last episode). Music was on point. Voice acting was also on target. I don't recall on having any real issues with the translation this time either. The episode followed the manga pretty closely with a few lines cut (I assume for time) but nothing major. I think this was also the first episode to have flashback scenes.  I am very excited for the next episode.

So I ordered a number of Dai goods. Today I will post the cards from the new arcade game I got (had someone in Japan play it for me).  So these are just a mostly random set of cards. For those who haven't been following it, the arcade game is very similar to Dragon Quest Monsters Battle Road.

First set of cards

spacer.png

Top left is the Imperial Scroll Card, for saving your game on to. This is a special event card so it only allows 30 saves on it. The normal ones cost money and have 400 saves. Top middle is the "My Hero" card, which allows you to create your own character that you can level through playing the game. Top right is a special event Dai.

Second Row, left is a special event Popp., followed by the Dai card from the December 2020 V Jump. After that are normal monsters.

First set of cards (back)

spacer.png

This is the back of that last batch of cards. You can see the detailed stats including the class the card belongs to and the range of a cards attack. There is also monster encyclopedia style information about the character or monster.

Second set of cards

spacer.png

More normal monster cards.

Second Set of cards (back)

spacer.png

You can see more of a variation in their attack ranges here.

Third set of cards

spacer.png

Getting into some more rare cards here. They sparkle.

Third set of cards (back)

spacer.png

Backs of the cards don't sparkle. You can see the rare cards are two star rare.

Fourth set of Cards

spacer.png

This Dai card sparkles even more.

Fourth set of cards (back)

spacer.png

This Dai is a 3 star rare card.

Fifth Set of Cards

spacer.png

Not all of the cards are characters or monsters that appear in Dai. Oren from DQX is in here because, why not?

Fifth Set of Cards (Back)

spacer.png

You can see these character cards are "Dragon Rare", so they have a little dragon mark instead of stars. Oren on the other hand is 4 stars. I suspect he is more rare than Dragon Rare. There are also 2 secret cards at this time, Hadlar and the Dragon Lord (DQI).

At the event they also handed out a pamphlet and a cardboard knife.

Pamphlet

Pamphlet cover

Second page

The list of cards here would suggest that Dragon Rare is more rare than four star Giga Rare, but I only got one Giga and multiple Dragon, so I am not sure I trust that.

Third page

Here you can see the real save card, a card set you can buy, a card album you can buy, and a fancy set of card sleeves.

spacer.png

The back of these things are always for commercials. The top is for the Daicolle weapon/item set volume 1. I will talk about these another day. Same goes for the Portable Adventure digital game. Both of these can give you QR codes for weapons or armor to use for your "My hero" in the arcade game. The next row down is commercials for the other announced games. Row below that is the prequel manga running in VJump and the Perfect Editions of the original manga.

Knife

spacer.png

spacer.png

It seems the mail was not so good for the knife. There is a bit of a bend you can see here. The knife pops in and out of the cardboard really easily, so I just put it back in after waving it around like a maniac for storage.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Popp's a real jerk in this episode. Glad Maam channelled the viewer in her response. 😁

What's the difference with those new manga releases, aside from the cover? I like the new covers but I already have some of the older releases.

EDIT: Oh, Amiami says they are coloured?

Edited by Chris

The manga rerelease has color pages from the original serialization in Weekly Shonen Jump magazine from 1989-1996.

I believe the anime remake will get to new content in April 2021. I think the 1991 Dai anime episode 46 will be episode 26 in the remake with the pace it's going at now.

Edited by DranzerX13
  • 4 weeks later...

New episode title spoilers from February 2021 issue (December 21, 2020) of V-Jump.

13. The Decisive Moment
決着の瞬間
Ketchaku no Toki
2020/12/26

14. Blizzblazz General Flazzard
氷炎将軍フレイザード
Hyōen Shōgun Fureizādo
2021/01/09

15. The Terrifying Magic Barrier
恐怖の結界呪法
Kyōfu no Kekkai Juhō
2021/01/16

IMG_20201221_134329.jpg

Edited by DranzerX13
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/21/2020 at 5:21 AM, DranzerX13 said:

09. A Single Shard of Courage
ひとかけらの勇気
Hito kakera no Yūki
Air Date: 2020/11/28

10. Onto Papnica Kingdom
パプニカをめざせ
Papunika o Mezase
Air Date: 2020/12/05

11. The Demonic Swordsman, Hyunckel
魔剣戦士ヒュンケル
Maken Senshi Hyunkeru
Air Date: 2020/12/12

12. The Collaborative Raidein
ふたりのライデイン
Futari no Raidein
Air Date: 2020/12/19

13. The Decisive Moment
決着の瞬間
Ketchaku no Toki
2020/12/26
I was a bit disappointed in episode 9. I felt that there was more more emphasis on the action parts than on the emotional impact of the episode. The equivalent episodes in the 90s version were some of the best episodes in that series in my opinion. So perhaps I came in with too much bias to begin with. The emphasis on action probably also makes the show more approachable for the younger audience set. Meanwhile, I have never been much of a fan of the following arch that introduces Hyunckel, but I thought this version did a very good job with it, elevating the episode beyond the original manga. The increased pacing and a few other changes helped to keep the story flowing. We should probably be getting a new opening and ending now or soon since the first cour ended. I am hoping for a bit of a change in style (I prefer a more traditional "anime style opening" or something that sounds more fantasy style). I will post some pics of the new editions of the manga, It might go in its own thread. In general it is the pages as they originally appeared in Weekly Shonen Jump, and there are a lot of interesting discoveries I made from that. At the same time though there has at least been one piece of art that was fixed, and a number of lines that have been "censored" or rewritten from the original text.
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

New Dai episodes spoilers from February 2021 Animedia (January 10, 2021)

15. The Terrifying Curse Field
恐怖の結界呪法
Kyōfu no Kekkai Juhō
Air Date: 2021/01/16

16. The Great Mage Matoriv
大魔道士マトリフ
Dai Madōshi Matorifu
Air Date: 2021/01/23

17. Immortal Saviour
不死身の救世主
Fujimi no Kyūseishu
Air Date: 2021/01/30

18. Hyunckel VS Hadlar
ヒュンケル対ハドラー
Hyunkeru Tai Hadorā
Air Date: 2021/02/06

Edited by DranzerX13
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2021 at 12:36 AM, Mimas said:

We should probably be getting a new opening and ending now or soon since the first cour ended.

I was hoping that as well, the current one is... fine, I just don't feel like it fits in with the show and the music doesn't really go well with the animation. It's getting some mixed review on Amazon, seems the Japanese aren't huge fans of the faster pace.

I'd be interesting in seeing some manga pics (if you haven't done so already and I've missed it).

The blu-ray is still out on the 29th, right? Amazon Japan still won't ship to the UK and Amiami and CDJapan even don't have it listed.

• Like 1

New episode title spoilers from March 2021 issue (January 21, 2021) of V-Jump.

19. The Final Secret of the Avan Style
アバン流最後の奥義
Aban Ryū Saigo no Ōgi
Air Date: 2021/02/13

20. Now, Slice Everything
いますべてを斬る
Ima subete o kiru
Air Date: 2021/02/20

On 1/17/2021 at 4:07 PM, Chris said:

I was hoping that as well, the current one is... fine, I just don't feel like it fits in with the show and the music doesn't really go well with the animation. It's getting some mixed review on Amazon, seems the Japanese aren't huge fans of the faster pace.

I'd be interesting in seeing some manga pics (if you haven't done so already and I've missed it).

The blu-ray is still out on the 29th, right? Amazon Japan still won't ship to the UK and Amiami and CDJapan even don't have it listed.

No, I haven't put them up yet. It is hard to take good pictures without stretching the binding on them. The last Dai Suki TV suggested that the ratings were good and the game has been selling better than expectations so I think it might be more successful than the reviews would suggest. Might be starting to make inroads on the kids.

On 1/27/2021 at 9:07 AM, Chris said:

Second Bluray set is up on Amazon Japan: https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/三条陸/dp/B08SD4SFYH/ Amazon edition comes with a tapestry.

Still can't order it.

I purchased the two sets off Amazon JP using a Tenso address. Haven't heard anything about my order from Tenso yet, so I might need to double check things. I think Proxy services are the best bet this time, sadly.

EDIT: Looks like YesAsia has the first Blu-Ray up for ordering. This might be the easiest way to purchase outside of Japan.https://www.yesasia.com/us/dragon-quest-the-adventure-of-dai-vol-1-blu-ray-japan-version/1096688030-0-0-0-en/info.html

Edited by Mimas
Link added
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/21/2021 at 2:57 AM, DranzerX13 said:

New episode title spoilers from March 2021 issue (January 21, 2021) of V-Jump.

19. The Final Secret of the Avan Style
アバン流最後の奥義
Aban Ryū Saigo no Ōgi
Air Date: 2021/02/13

20. Now, Slice Everything
いますべてを斬る
Ima subete o kiru
Air Date: 2021/02/20

I felt these episodes were done quite well. I was glad that the pacing was a little faster (covering 4 chapters worth of content) in episode 20, so we could get the aftermath of the battle. The soundtrack was also on point these episodes as well. Talking about the soundtrack, with the CD going on sale next month the composer has been showing off a few of his tracks on Youtube lately.

It should also be mentioned that the Dai Suki TV Youtube series has changed from being a once monthly live stream to a weekly per-recorded video put out right after an episode of the anime airs in Japan. This change also means that it is hosted by the voices of Dai and Popp instead of the editors of VJump.

On 1/27/2021 at 9:07 AM, Chris said:

Second Bluray set is up on Amazon Japan: https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/三条陸/dp/B08SD4SFYH/ Amazon edition comes with a tapestry.

Still can't order it.

Mine arrived the other week with the tapestry.

Spoiler

spacer.png

One side of the tapestry

spacer.png

And the other.

I would estimate the size of the tapestry as like 12 1/2 inches by 20 inches.

This is the Disc case with it's Obi in the plastic.

spacer.png

This is what the box looks like after removing the slip cover etc.

spacer.png

And the open box.

spacer.png

The booklet just has small summaries of the 13 episodes with a few screen captures from the episode.

Extra contents are on disc 1, and include: No-Credit Opening, No-Credit Ending, The first half of a special interview with the voice actors of Dai and Popp, and the advertisement video for the anime from the Jump Special Festa 2020. First edition can send in for the chance to get an autograph from Dai's voice actress.

• Like 3

getting caught up after almost 2 months off (letting episodes build up)...17-20 were GREAT

Edited by nectarsis
3 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Wow, didn't think this run would have so many episodes. How many are they going to do?

Hopefully till the end. 

Will that all come out in this "season" or will that be over multiple years? (I don't know how Japan does seasons for TV shows).

2 hours ago, Woodus said:

Will that all come out in this "season" or will that be over multiple years? (I don't know how Japan does seasons for TV shows).

Based on the time slot that the anime is on there should not be any season breaks (Just Holiday breaks like the New Year's one that we already had.).

• Like 1

Cool, thank you :)

Here are March 2021 episode spoilers. 24-25 are early episode leaks found on 5ch (Japanese discussion boards)

March episode spoilers for Dai

22. Off to the Department Store
デパートへ行こう!
Depāto e Ikō
Air Date: 2021/03/06

23. Dragon Knight
竜の騎士
Doragon no Kishi
Air Date: 2021/03/13

24. Dragon General Baran
竜騎将バラン
Ryūkisho Baran 
Air Date: 2021/03/20

25. The Dreadful Dragonic Aura
戦慄の竜闘気(ドラゴニックオーラ)
Senritsu no Doragonikku Ōra 
Air Date: 2021/03/27

Episodes 26+ will feature chapters not yet animated in any adaption. The 1991 TV adaption of episode 46 used chapter 88 which was from the first half of episode while the second half of episode was anime original.

Edited by DranzerX13