Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai (2020 TV) Anime Discussion

On 11/17/2020 at 8:37 AM, DranzerX13 said:

08. Hundred Beast Full Assault
百獣総進撃
Hyakujū so-shingeki
Air Date: 2020/11/21

With Maam joining them on their journey, the three arrive late at night to Romos castle town, and spend their night at the inn. They are awoken by the echoing roar of Crocodine throughout the town. Crocodine, along with his Hundred Beast army are doing a full force attack against Romos castle. Dai soon gives chase to Crocodine and runs from the inn. Maam takes Popp to chase after but... Dai and Crocodine confront each other in the grand hall of Romos castle. Seeing Dai's fast growth he prepares to use the horrible plan that Zaboera left with him.

This was quite an emotional episode, even knowing what was coming. I think I am warming up to Zaboera's voice (really sounded wrong to me last episode). Music was on point. Voice acting was also on target. I don't recall on having any real issues with the translation this time either. The episode followed the manga pretty closely with a few lines cut (I assume for time) but nothing major. I think this was also the first episode to have flashback scenes.  I am very excited for the next episode.

So I ordered a number of Dai goods. Today I will post the cards from the new arcade game I got (had someone in Japan play it for me).  So these are just a mostly random set of cards. For those who haven't been following it, the arcade game is very similar to Dragon Quest Monsters Battle Road.

First set of cards

spacer.png

Top left is the Imperial Scroll Card, for saving your game on to. This is a special event card so it only allows 30 saves on it. The normal ones cost money and have 400 saves. Top middle is the "My Hero" card, which allows you to create your own character that you can level through playing the game. Top right is a special event Dai.

Second Row, left is a special event Popp., followed by the Dai card from the December 2020 V Jump. After that are normal monsters.

First set of cards (back)

spacer.png

This is the back of that last batch of cards. You can see the detailed stats including the class the card belongs to and the range of a cards attack. There is also monster encyclopedia style information about the character or monster.

Second set of cards

spacer.png

More normal monster cards.

Second Set of cards (back)

spacer.png

You can see more of a variation in their attack ranges here.

Third set of cards

spacer.png

Getting into some more rare cards here. They sparkle.

Third set of cards (back)

spacer.png

Backs of the cards don't sparkle. You can see the rare cards are two star rare.

Fourth set of Cards

spacer.png

This Dai card sparkles even more.

Fourth set of cards (back)

spacer.png

This Dai is a 3 star rare card.

Fifth Set of Cards

spacer.png

Not all of the cards are characters or monsters that appear in Dai. Oren from DQX is in here because, why not?

Fifth Set of Cards (Back)

spacer.png

You can see these character cards are "Dragon Rare", so they have a little dragon mark instead of stars. Oren on the other hand is 4 stars. I suspect he is more rare than Dragon Rare. There are also 2 secret cards at this time, Hadlar and the Dragon Lord (DQI).

At the event they also handed out a pamphlet and a cardboard knife.

Pamphlet

Pamphlet cover

Second page

The list of cards here would suggest that Dragon Rare is more rare than four star Giga Rare, but I only got one Giga and multiple Dragon, so I am not sure I trust that.

Third page

Here you can see the real save card, a card set you can buy, a card album you can buy, and a fancy set of card sleeves.

spacer.png

The back of these things are always for commercials. The top is for the Daicolle weapon/item set volume 1. I will talk about these another day. Same goes for the Portable Adventure digital game. Both of these can give you QR codes for weapons or armor to use for your "My hero" in the arcade game. The next row down is commercials for the other announced games. Row below that is the prequel manga running in VJump and the Perfect Editions of the original manga.

Knife

spacer.png

spacer.png

It seems the mail was not so good for the knife. There is a bit of a bend you can see here. The knife pops in and out of the cardboard really easily, so I just put it back in after waving it around like a maniac for storage.

• Like 2

Popp's a real jerk in this episode. Glad Maam channelled the viewer in her response. 😁

What's the difference with those new manga releases, aside from the cover? I like the new covers but I already have some of the older releases.

EDIT: Oh, Amiami says they are coloured?

Edited by Chris

The manga rerelease has color pages from the original serialization in Weekly Shonen Jump magazine from 1989-1996.

I believe the anime remake will get to new content in April 2021. I think the 1991 Dai anime episode 46 will be episode 26 in the remake with the pace it's going at now.

Edited by DranzerX13