Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai (2020 TV) Anime Discussion

I'm like a week late making this topic, but, oh well.

02. Dai and Princess Leona
ダイとレオナ姫
Dai to Reona-hime
2020/10/10

Once again a ship approaches the island... from it comes the elegant and dignified Princess from the Kingdom of Papnica, Leona. While she has arrived at the island for a ceremony, when she sees the small hero Dai, she calls him "shrimp"... Good luck, hero (Cry)

Credit goes to Mimas for translating the summary.

Trailer for episode 2:

For those of you who want to watch the new Dai online with English Subtitles, the links can be found below:

Watch on Crunchyroll

Watch on Hulu (US Territories Only)

Note: New episodes are added weekly on Fridays at 7;30pm PST / 10:30pm EST

Edited by DranzerX13
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

03. The Hero's Tutor
勇者の家庭教師
Yūsha no Kateikyōshi
Air Date: 2020/10/17

Monsters that have turned violent are attacking humans on the island! In the midst of this uproar appears a man who seems the intellectual yet is playing the fool. He says he teaches heroes and will save the island but... can he be trusted? And the student who came with him is very suspicious...!While Dai is playing with the monsters as usual, suddenly the monsters turn violent. It seems some sort of dark power is affecting them.  Sensing the danger Brass tries to help Dai escape Dermline Island, but Dai refuses. Why Dai and Brass continue to argue, before then appears a man who operates as a hero trainer along with his mage student Popp. The hero trainer announces that the dark lord has returned and that he was requested by the royal family of Papnica  to raise Dai as a hero. Dai is determined to start training to be a hero so that he can defeat the dark lord, who is threatening the people important to him. 

Edited by DranzerX13

Would you guys be interested in doing a watch party ? 

So far I'm enjoying it.  I miss the original serie's soundtrack, but i'll work with it.  I really hope they adapt the whole series this time.

22 hours ago, DranzerX13 said:

ダイとレオナ姫
Dai to Reona-hime
2020/10/10

Once again a ship approaches the island... from it comes the elegant and dignified Princess from the Kingdom of Papnica, Leona. While she has arrived at the island for a ceremony, when she sees the small hero Dai, she calls him "shrimp"... Good luck, hero (Cry)

Trailer for episode 2:

For those of you who want to watch the new Dai online with English Subtitles, the links can be found below:

Watch on Crunchyroll

Still 22 more minutes. Damn, because baseball is boring tonight.

On 10/8/2020 at 8:19 PM, DranzerX13 said:

ダイとレオナ姫
Dai to Reona-hime
2020/10/10

Trailer for episode 2:

Watch on Crunchyroll

This was once again a very well done episode. It was interesting to see the changes they made from the manga this time. I thought the additional scene of Leona recovering and doing a call back to her earlier lines worked very well and gave us a bit more time seeing her as a proponent of justice. Seeing Avan and Popp was also well done, showing a bit of Avan's personality and his focus on obtaining the ultimate goal over short term wins. It might make him a little less suspicious next episode though since he has already been introduced. They have been doing a good job of keeping a fast tempo and moving the plot along which is probably a good thing for the Youtube generation. Next episode might slow the pace down and give the characters a chance to breath from the looks of the preview.

On 10/9/2020 at 6:20 PM, Megalosaro said:

Would you guys be interested in doing a watch party ? 

So far I'm enjoying it.  I miss the original serie's soundtrack, but i'll work with it.  I really hope they adapt the whole series this time.

That sounds like fun. I don't know what is involved in having one though.

I do love Sugiyama's soundtrack, but there are some nice songs in this on as well that I have gotten used to from the Daisuki TV broadcasts. I also thought that with the original anime there were some times that the music they chose for certain scenes seemed off or the timing did not match what was happening in the animation as well. When it matched it was wonderful, but I could see how it would be easier to use music made specifically for the series.

Edited by Mimas

Mimas,

I haven't been keeping up with the promotional stuff.  Do you know how many episodes are planned?  Are they going to cover the whole series this time?  Do you like Maam's new design?

Edited by Megalosaro
On 10/14/2020 at 10:30 AM, Megalosaro said:

Mimas,

I haven't been keeping up with the promotional stuff.  Do you know how many episodes are planned?  Are they going to cover the whole series this time? 

Nothing has been officially announced yet. Yeah, there is a rumor that was on 5ch and Weibo that it will have 7 cours. They say their goal is to make it to the end.

On 10/14/2020 at 10:30 AM, Megalosaro said:

Do you like Maam's new design?

To me, the new designs look extremely different from the manga and the original anime. The look very modern to me. But everyone on the internet is going on about it having a 90s look that I just don't see. I will admit I am not fully comfortable with the new design, but I think they made the right choice in updating it so that it does not turn off modern viewers. I figure I will get used to it eventually.  The cell phone game though has her looking perfect. Yeah, she now has tights for the martial arts outfit, but that should not be shocking considering what the Dangerous Bikini has looked like since DQIX on.

Edited by Mimas
  • Like 1

04. The Dark Lord Hadlar's Return
魔王ハドラーの復活
Maō Hadorā no Fukkatsu
2020/10/24

The fire dragon transformation skill (Dragoram) has turned Avan into a dragon, and he holds nothing back as he attacks Dai. Dai fights back with his knife but it's of no use even a dragon's skin is tougher than iron.  To defeat Avan's breath of fire instead of the power move, Daichizan, he needed the speed attack, Kaihazan. When he finishes his training they all feel the presence of an evil power trying to enter the island. Avan's horrible suspicion is correct. The worst case plays out in who breaks through the Mahokator barrier and appears before Avan.....!

Edited by DranzerX13
On 10/9/2020 at 3:31 PM, DranzerX13 said:

03. The Hero's Tutor
勇者の家庭教師
Yūsha no Kateikyōshi
Air Date: 2020/10/17

Monsters that have turned violent are attacking humans on the island! In the midst of this uproar appears a man who seems the intellectual yet is playing the fool. He says he teaches heroes and will save the island but... can he be trusted? And the student who came with him is very suspicious...!While Dai is playing with the monsters as usual, suddenly the monsters turn violent. It seems some sort of dark power is affecting them.  Sensing the danger Brass tries to help Dai escape Dermline Island, but Dai refuses. Why Dai and Brass continue to argue, before then appears a man who operates as a hero trainer along with his mage student Popp. The hero trainer announces that the dark lord has returned and that he was requested by the royal family of Papnica  to raise Dai as a hero. Dai is determined to start training to be a hero so that he can defeat the dark lord, who is threatening the people important to him. 

This episode was pretty close to the source material just with a few of the jokes cut out for time and some other small changes. I know some Japanese viewers had trouble getting used to Avan's new voice, but I thought the new actor does a very good job and sounds quite natural. I wonder if they forgot how suspicious he is supposed to sound since they got used to thinking of him as the kind teacher. The translation continued to give us some questionable choices for spell names. "Glimmer" has got to be a new low I think. I am also a little concerned they used "master" for Popp's usage of "Sensei" since he later makes a distinguished between that and the word "Shisho" which I think is the term that works as "Master" better. We will see what they do when they get there I guess. Next weeks episode should be very exciting.

New episode titles from December Issue (October 21st) of V-Jump:

05. The Insignia of Avan
アバンのしるし
Aban no Shirushi
2020/10/31

06. The Beast King, Crocodine
獣王クロコダイン
Jūō Kurokodain
2020/11/07

07. Maam's Feelings
マァムの想い
Maamu no Omoi
2020/11/14

Edited by DranzerX13
  • Like 1

Amazon Japan has a listing of the Blu-ray release. https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B08LKDNZK3/, currently won't ship outside of Japan though.

On 10/16/2020 at 6:55 PM, DranzerX13 said:

04. The Dark Lord Hadlar's Return
魔王ハドラーの復活
Maō Hadorā no Fukkatsu
2020/10/24

The fire dragon transformation skill (Dragoram) has turned Avan into a dragon, and he holds nothing back as he attacks Dai. Dai fights back with his knife but it's of no use even a dragon's skin is tougher than iron.  To defeat Avan's breath of fire instead of the power move, Daichizan, he needed the speed attack, Kaihazan. When he finishes his training they all feel the presence of an evil power trying to enter the island. Avan's horrible suspicion is correct. The worst case plays out in who breaks through the Mahokator barrier and appears before Avan.....!

It really is hard to make much of a judgement on the episodes, I am still just so happy that we have the possibility of seeing the story finished in animated form this time. This was another episode that was rather close to the source material. I personally wasn't a fan of the scene change so that Dai used Hyado to make an ice cube to cool Avan's nose, while the original had Popp handing him a bandage. But really, with the TV broadcast restrictions, it made sense to remove the existence of the blood, and I guess the focus on Dai's magic use will make a nice contrasting book end later. This episode continued the trend of being a bit more loose in the translation than I would like. In particular, the line that had Popp saying "I choose the wrong person to study under" (or something like that) is おれとんでもない人の所に弟子入りしちまったな Which is more closely something like "I became a student under an outrageous person".

On 10/24/2020 at 8:53 AM, Chris said:

Amazon Japan has a listing of the Blu-ray release. https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B08LKDNZK3/, currently won't ship outside of Japan though.

Like the old series Blu-Ray release earlier this year  it looks like they will have store specific extras as well, so I won't choose where to purchase until I know more about what each one looks like. There is a cheaper version that skips the store preorder bonus from Rakuten, which you can purchase through Buyee if you can't get them to ship where you live. I think Buyee allows for purchases from Amazon Japan as well, but it seems it requires a plug in for your browser.

There is another Daisuki TV scheduled for this Saturday 10am, right after the latest episode (episode 5) of Dai. (This would be 6pm Pacific Daylight Time Friday).

In the meantime, later today, one of the animators working on episode 5, Yuya Takahashi, is streaming his drawing of a Dragon Quest Dai picture.

Edited by Mimas
Messed up links
  • Like 1

獣王クロコダイン
Jūō Kurokodain
2020/11/07

Dai was determined to leave the island to carry out the will of Avan and defeat the Demon King Vearn. Popp also boarded the boat with Dai headed for Romos castle. But, as soon as they enter the Demon Forest the two get lost. After meeting the girl Mina in the forest, they are in a pinch when they are attacked by monsters. They at saved by the magic gun using girl Maam. After splitting paths with Maam they become lost again, but before them appears the Beast King of the Demon Army, Crocodine, who has been ordered by Hadlar to take Dai's life. 

Edited by DranzerX13
On 10/21/2020 at 4:49 AM, DranzerX13 said:

New episode titles from December Issue (October 21st) of V-Jump:

05. The Insignia of Avan
アバンのしるし
Aban no Shirushi
2020/10/31

The new music for the series was used well in this episode, and I thought the animation and the voice acting was on target to make this the emotional episode that it needed to be. The localization was interesting, choosing to keep "Megante" instead of the localized term "Kamikaze". I personally wish they would leave the spells and such as they are in Japanese more since this is a subtitled version anyway, but for fans who normally play in English, is this format of translation working out better for you?

On 10/29/2020 at 6:08 PM, Megalosaro said:

My wife is really loving this show.  Every episode seems so quick.   

I think the pacing of the series makes much more sense in a world where anime series tend to only last 12 episodes, instead of having time to breath like they did when every show as aimed at a wider audience and shown during the daytime. Hopefully it is finding its way into the watching schedule of the prime audience of children, rather than being fully supported by the adult audience. It is hard to tell from the internet, especially with all the hype for Kimetsu no Yaiba blotting out everything else.

On 10/27/2020 at 3:27 AM, Mimas said:

Like the old series Blu-Ray release earlier this year  it looks like they will have store specific extras as well, so I won't choose where to purchase until I know more about what each one looks like. There is a cheaper version that skips the store preorder bonus from Rakuten, which you can purchase through Buyee if you can't get them to ship where you live. I think Buyee allows for purchases from Amazon Japan as well, but it seems it requires a plug in for your browser.

Amazon lets you pay the import fees upfront, which is handy in the UK as the tax duty threshold is really low and then the shipping company adds an extra fee. Hoping they make it available soon, but you still can't import DQXIS. Amazon are really weird sometimes, you couldn't import DQX V.5 but you could order the All-in-One package.

If they don't, then I'll have to go elsewhere.

On 11/5/2020 at 8:49 PM, Mimas said:

The localization was interesting, choosing to keep "Megante" instead of the localized term "Kamikaze". I personally wish they would leave the spells and such as they are in Japanese more since this is a subtitled version anyway, but for fans who normally play in English, is this format of translation working out better for you?

I'd rather they translated the attacks, personally. Using Megante struck me as weird but I guess they wanted to avoid using the word "Kamikaze"... for ratings purposes..?

I haven't seen this topic. I was worried nobody was talking about it.

I'm loving this. I have wanted for a new anime for years. I used to watch the old one, it was on TV in Brazil when I was very little. Then when I was a teenager and got into Dragon Quest, I discoverd that "Fly" (as was called in Brazil) was a Dragon Quest spinoff. I watched the whole series dubbed on YouTube, read the manga online. It's jut great. It's one of my favorite of all time, and now we're finally geting a the whole thing animated. I'm hoping to get some merchandise and maybe, the manga will be published in the west or even in Brazil.

About the anime, I'm not so sure with the pacing. I know the old one is too slow for today's standards, but I wish they would go just a little slower. The designs and voice acting are great. I miss some of the jokes with Avan they skiped. He's such a great character, he looks lame but also super cool hahaha. Pop is my favorite, he has a nice character arc, he really grows.

Overall I'm hyped. 

Edited by Billy MK
  • Like 2
On 11/3/2020 at 7:00 PM, DranzerX13 said:

獣王クロコダイン
Jūō Kurokodain
2020/11/07

Dai was determined to leave the island to carry out the will of Avan and defeat the Demon King Vearn. Popp also boarded the boat with Dai headed for Romos castle. But, as soon as they enter the Demon Forest the two get lost. After meeting the girl Mina in the forest, they are in a pinch when they are attacked by monsters. They at saved by the magic gun using girl Maam. After splitting paths with Maam they become lost again, but before them appears the Beast King of the Demon Army, Crocodine, who has been ordered by Hadlar to take Dai's life. 

This episode had a lot cut from the original manga. In general, it still worked but the episode felt a little lower budget at the same time. The animation wasn't as good, in particular when Maam saves Popp it looks like she can fly, not like a jump. The fight with Crocodine still looked good, my sister was not a fan of the "up skirt" shots he kept getting, but I am sure we will be seeing more of those. Maam's voice actress sounded good, Crocodine I might need a bit more time to get used to. I am wondering if the voice of the "Akuma no Medama" is its own voice this time, or indicative of another character's voice. The translation quality really fell for this episode as well, before I even had started watching the comments on Crunchyroll were pointing out "Lord" was "Load".  The translation accuracy was also much looser, to the point that it felt like it might be a different translator than previous episodes. The localization choice of translating in Japanese what literally translates as "The Hundred Beast Army" as the FurFang Legion was rather off putting. Legion of course is a fine choice, but looking up FurFang to see if any other Dragon Quest games had used it, it seemed to be a word more for Furries. While the "hundred" in "Hundred Beast" isn't supposed to literally mean 100 different animals, but rather just another way of indicating "many" just translating it as "Beast Legion", or "Wild Beast Legion" would have been a better choice in my opinion. This certainly was not the episode to spend their whole budget on, even though it introduces new characters and concepts, so I probably would not change things, but I was not as satisfied with this episode as others. Looking forward to Maam's backstory next episode.

On 11/7/2020 at 4:15 AM, Chris said:

Amazon lets you pay the import fees upfront, which is handy in the UK as the tax duty threshold is really low and then the shipping company adds an extra fee. Hoping they make it available soon, but you still can't import DQXIS. Amazon are really weird sometimes, you couldn't import DQX V.5 but you could order the All-in-One package.

If they don't, then I'll have to go elsewhere.

I'd rather they translated the attacks, personally. Using Megante struck me as weird but I guess they wanted to avoid using the word "Kamikaze"... for ratings purposes..?

Oh, the duty threshold in the USA is quite high, so I don't have to worry about crossing it in general. I can see where that would put Amazon as the best choice. I don't understand a lot of the import regulations Amazon and the like put out. The other day I could not order the Dai themed Chocolate Wafers off of Rakuten thru Buyee, but it did not say why.

Kamikaze is rather questionable, especially for a Japanese game translation, but if they are wiling to use it in the games, I don't see any reason to not use it in the anime as is. I agree that if they are already translating attacks they should have done so for Megante so that people would not get the wrong impression and think the attack is unique to Dai.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Mimas said:

Oh, the duty threshold in the USA is quite high, so I don't have to worry about crossing it in general. I can see where that would put Amazon as the best choice. I don't understand a lot of the import regulations Amazon and the like put out. The other day I could not order the Dai themed Chocolate Wafers off of Rakuten thru Buyee, but it did not say why.

Noticed today the version without the Amazon bonus is available to preorder if the shipping address is Japanese, as soon as you change it UK it becomes unavailable. It normally says it can't ship to your address, but lets you add the item to the basket. Dunno if that might mean it will be made available soon?

Episode 7: Maam's Turmoil

I enjoyed this episode more than the previous one. They did a good job on focusing on Maam and it has one of my favorite quotes from the series in this episode. I did think that the censoring of blood from Crocodine's eye injury negatively affected the episode. It's hard to tell what happened, and confusing to suddenly see that he has a scar on his face. The censoring of blood also is rather ironic in that we still are seeing the violence, but the results of violence aren't shown. But I guess this is what the Japanese censors require for children's television now, so so be it. The extra scenes they added to the episode felt natural, and I think it was a good "breather" episode between action. It also looked like they were saving money from the budget with this episode though. A bit more limited animation, and the fight with Crocodine at the start looked rather odd in places. Hopfully the animation will improve when it is needed for the fight showdown with Crocodine in the next two episodes.

On 11/10/2020 at 2:05 PM, Chris said:

Noticed today the version without the Amazon bonus is available to preorder if the shipping address is Japanese, as soon as you change it UK it becomes unavailable. It normally says it can't ship to your address, but lets you add the item to the basket. Dunno if that might mean it will be made available soon?

That sounds a bit concerning for UK shipping. Without any more information about the bonus items I am still waiting to decide where I will order from.

On 11/14/2020 at 12:16 PM, Billy MK said:

Any chance of the blu-ray version being uncensored?

It is possible, but I think the Blu-Ray release will also be aimed at families. 13 episodes in a volume is a very children's anime oriented release format as well.

08. Hundred Beast Full Assault
百獣総進撃
Hyakujū so-shingeki
Air Date: 2020/11/21

With Maam joining them on their journey, the three arrive late at night to Romos castle town, and spend their night at the inn. They are awoken by the echoing roar of Crocodine throughout the town. Crocodine, along with his Hundred Beast army are doing a full force attack against Romos castle. Dai soon gives chase to Crocodine and runs from the inn. Maam takes Popp to chase after but... Dai and Crocodine confront each other in the grand hall of Romos castle. Seeing Dai's fast growth he prepares to use the horrible plan that Zaboera left with him.

09. A Single Shard of Courage
ひとかけらの勇気
Hito kakera no Yūki
Air Date: 2020/11/28

Dai was badly injured by Crocodine's Beast King Anguish Blast. When Maam tries to save Dai, the Heyedra controlled by Mystic Legion Commander Zaboera ties her up. Popp is shown all this by the fake hero party member Masopho, but he is unable to move due to fear. Seeing Popp like that, Masopho talks about his own past. He says he also once wanted to be a Mage of justice but....

10. Now, to the Kingdom of Papnica
パプニカをめざせ
Papunika o Mezase
Air Date: 2020/12/05

11. The Dark Swordsman, Hyunckel
魔剣戦士ヒュンケル
Maken Senshi Hyunkeru
Air Date: 2020/12/12

12. The Two Raideins
ふたりのライデイン
Futari no Raidein
Air Date: 2020/12/19