What are some "little things" you like in video games?

Sometimes when I play video games, there's some details that make the game more charming.

In Super Mario World, there is a tribal drum layer to the music that you only hear while riding Yoshi.

In Final Fantasy 2 Advance, the music for Mysidia has an acoustic guitar. While zoned out, I noticed a strange and familiar sound to the music, and I realized that it was the sliding on the strings of a real guitar! It really added to the charm of the game to hear that sound.

In Lufia: The Legend Returns, there are about 5 boss battles that you are supposed to lose. But they knew that some people would be crazy enough to win them anyway. Even though the story proceeds as if you lost, you get a one-of-a-kind piece of equipment for winning each of these battles!

What kind of "little things" have you appreciated in video games over the years?

• Like 1

Not sure if you can count it as a little thing or not. But I am a huge sucker for fishing minigames being shoehorned in.

I also love when music design is changed with what is going on in game or get creative with it. Like a character's theme being transitioned into a boss theme in Octopath.

I like idle animations. One of my favorites is in the N64 Zelda games if you’re in a cave or a cold area; Link will rub his hands together to try and warm himself up, and then will suddenly sneeze. It’s hilarious because I’m Ocarina of Time both Kid and Adult Link will do it.

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I like idle animations. One of my favorites is in the N64 Zelda games if you’re in a cave or a cold area; Link will rub his hands together to try and warm himself up, and then will suddenly sneeze. It’s hilarious because I’m Ocarina of Time both Kid and Adult Link will do it.

I forgot about all of those!

My personal favorite is in the first Bubsy game. Bubsy knocks on the screen, and you hear the clank of glass.