Episode #023 - Samantha & Dragon Quest Everything!

https://anchor.fm/dqslimetime/episodes/Episode-023---Samantha--Dragon-Quest-Everything-ejpa44

We were pleased to have our very own Denizen @Michi on the Dragon Quest Slime Time podcast. Check out the interview as she talks about fandom, working at Square Enix, DQ cosplay, working with Yuji Horii, and more. This podcast also features our resident Slime Time artist, @Dwaine.

YT version pending.

• Like 4

Posted it to Reddit, but it's not getting much love, there. Historically, though, I haven't seen more than 10 likes go to any podcast posts in Reddit, including ST and DQFM. If anyone has a reddit login can you upvote this post? Hopefully we can get it more visibility.

• Like 1

I remember Ranma. I actually rewatch it every five years or so.

I realize you guys recorded this so long ago you might not even remember what was talked about in the episode.

I relistened to it yesterday for the first time since the record. I loved Ranma. Used to watch it in the '90s at my friend's place. He used to get subtitled VHS tapes of it, somehow.

I got to college and someone had the dubbed version and I remember it being pretty atrocious. Many '90s dubs were, though.

Upvoted.

For my generation, the Rumiko Takahashi that was popular was Inuyasha. Even non-anime watchers loved it. Basically every woman I’ve ever known that’s about my age has said they watched it religiously.

Rumiko Takahashi in general has had a bit of a resurgence. The reprint of Maison Ikkoku started releasing just this week, in fact.

Upvoted.
For my generation, the Rumiko Takahashi that was popular was Inuyasha. Even non-anime watchers loved it. Basically every woman I’ve ever known that’s about my age has said they watched it religiously.
Rumiko Takahashi in general has had a bit of a resurgence. The reprint of Maison Ikkoku started releasing just this week, in fact.
Inu Yasha was always the Rumic manga that I was least interested in, for some reason.

Maison Ikkoku was really good though. One of my favorites as a teen.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

Inu Yasha was always the Rumic manga that I was least interested in, for some reason.

Maison Ikkoku was really good though. One of my favorites as a teen.

I also don’t care for Inuyasha. More interested in Urusei Yatsura.

Reading Maison is emotional torture, and even self harm in some spots. That's not to say it is bad. Far from it! Takahashi wanted to make her readers suffer.

Viz released a new printing of Ranma a couple years ago. They retranslated the earlier volumes, but left the latter ones intact, so there are still some inconsistencies. Like one chapter Ryoga will say "Bakusai Tenketsu" and "Breaking Point Technique" in another. Ranma is still great fun. That's what I love about it. It's just pure fun. Though I still stand by my point that Akane doesn't deserve him. Ranma had plenty of "Am I the #$*!" moments, but Akane hardly ever did. Ukyo was really the only one that had her #$*! together and seemed to genuinely care for him. One of my favorite one-shot stories is in volume... 35, I think? The Conspiracy of Jellyfish Beach.

Really enjoyed that episode and all the behind the scenes stuff. And hearing about Michi's favorite DQX character. This is the one for those of you who don't know X. Fairly popular with fans so there has been some merch of her. If you'll notice, her color scheme even matches that of a Healslime.4313d282d8e55d2958720036335f4afc.jpg

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, eal said:

I also don’t care for Inuyasha. More interested in Urusei Yatsura.

Haha. Urusei Yatsura! Nice. I've tried watching the series. Got about 43 episodes in. I realized early on that basically every episode is exactly the same formula. It's funny, though. I only fell off it because it wasn't breaking much ground from the original concept.

Haha. Urusei Yatsura! Nice. I've tried watching the series. Got about 43 episodes in. I realized early on that basically every episode is exactly the same formula. It's funny, though. I only fell off it because it wasn't breaking much ground from the original concept.
I think it's aimed at much younger audiences than her other works. I remember checking out Yatsura when I was a teen, but didn't get very far with it. Ranma and Maison Ikkoku engaged me the most. I'm actually doing a rewatch of the Maison Ikkoku anime right now, since I never actually finished it.

Also, she has a new manga out, Rin-ne, that I believe is ongoing.

29 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

I think it's aimed at much younger audiences than her other works. I remember checking out Yatsura when I was a teen, but didn't get very far with it. Ranma and Maison Ikkoku engaged me the most. I'm actually doing a rewatch of the Maison Ikkoku anime right now, since I never actually finished it.

Really? All the sexual stuff, particularly all the horny students who worship Lum, I would think it was a geared toward a shonen audience.

Really? All the sexual stuff, particularly all the horny students who worship Lum, I would think it was a geared toward a shonen audience.
Maybe it's not then and my memory is bad. I just though it had more of a gag manga angle to it than anything else.

1 hour ago, AustNerevar said:

Rin-ne ended a few years ago. She’s writing something new. Although I’d make the argument that, at this point, yet another Takahashi boy meets girl story isn’t all that new.

1 hour ago, Liamland said:

Beautiful Dreamer has been sitting on my shelf for like two years and I haven’t gotten around to watching it, which is a shame because it’s supposed to be a terrific movie.

I remember Ranma. I actually rewatch it every five years or so.

I realize you guys recorded this so long ago you might not even remember what was talked about in the episode.
Yep, that doesn't sound familiar at all. Haha, I was just drinking and listening most of that episode.