Sidequest #004 - Not Pokémon

Good to have a general monster collecting episode. There are some hidden gems in the genre even if it is pretty small.

Digimon World 2 stands out for being far better than 1 and 3, along with having some solid dungeon crawling. 

Monster Rancher 1 and 2 are full of unique mechanics and really stand out, probably the hardest of all monster collecting games. Yeah Megami Tensei and Nocturne are tough and all, but try the final tournaments of Rancher without save scumming or metagame exploits and before your monster dies of old age.

Azure Dreams is an often forgotten one, and admittedly is fairly forgettable, but its certainly worth at least one go. 

Finished this episode earlier today and had a couple thoughts.

First, as I've said before Yo-Kai Watch is one of my favorite games all time, and I'll have to go against you Platty and recommend the first one vs recommending the third. Not that there isn't anything wrong with YKW3 but for the price alone, getting a physical copy is impossible for under 80 bucks right now and the digital copy is 40 period. By contrast the YKW1 physical hovers around $11 all the time. There is also a demo on 3DS for YKW1. Also, I think with the shear amount of stuff to do in YKW2 and especially YKW3 you can really get bogged down in side-quests (although considering that this was a "Sidequest" episode of Slime Time I do see the irony). Now if the person you are recommending it to loves side-quests, no problem get Psychic Specters or YKW3,  but if they just want a taste I'd say YKW1 ftw. I feel I may be in the minority of the YKW community on this but, I am not a fan of the battle system in YKW3. It's just not as intuitive to me as the spinning circle idea in YKW1 and 2. Now I will say that I have beat YKW1 three times; twice on 3DS and 1.5 times in Switch. I kinda flew through YKW2 and really want to go back and play through it again. I still haven't beaten YKW3 even though it was a day 1 purchase (I did mess up and cancelled my physical copy order and got lured into the bonuses for the digital copy, I'm an idiot). I did make it to the Blasters portion and that is worth it all on it's own. TLDR: I think if you're interested in YKW get YKW1 to see if the humor and game-play is up your alley, and if you love it move onto YKW2:PS or YKW3.

Second, I have two games that I would add to you list:

Jade Cocoon 2 for the PS2. Full disclosure, I never played the first game on PSX, I've never fully beat the game, I got up to the final boss but didn't want to grind to beat him, and it has been 15+ years or so since I played it so I don't remember all the details. I grabbed this game kind of on a whim back in the day looking for an RPG. The battle system was totally unique to me then too and I think it's the reason I liked YKW so much from the beginning. It has a disc style turn-based system with eight slots for monsters. Each monster can be bred to get stronger ones and can evolve. There are a few different elemental types with the usual strengths vs weakness use. If I remember properly the dungeons were essentially branching corridors through different types of biomes. The story was interesting but was definitely a sequel to the first one. I don't really have much else on this one other than it's definitely worth checking out and I still plan to go back to it someday.

World of Final Fantasy for Steam, PSVita, PS4 and Switch. I have never liked a FF game more than this one. I am not generally a fan of FF games, the only two games that I traded in for my DS was FF: Tactics and FF3. I like tactics style games like Shining Force and the first Luminous Arc but FF just left a bad taste. Also, I'm used to DQ games with job classes and large parties but FF3 did not get my motor running. World of FF though was a lot of fun once I turned off active battle and turned on "wait" style. I could understand if the art style turns you off with the chibi style characters and the chibi-ization of the FF monsters, but because I have no ties to the source material I was fine. The game also plays-out like a love letter to all the previous FF games too. This is one where I tried the demo on PS4 then bought it when I found it for 20 bucks at Wal-Mart. I will probably get the Switch version with the Maxima dlc content when it (probably) goes on sale around Christmas this year. The battle system is really fun, your team is made up of two stacks of three monsters. Each monster is grouped by size; large, medium and small. Larges go on bottom then medium then small on top. The monsters hold the same elemental properties they have in other FF games. The main characters can also be part of the stacks either as regular or chibi; As regular size they are considered large, as chibi they are considered medium. what's great is each monster has a skill tree and if you stack two or more monsters with the same skill that skill's power is multiplied. There are also special combos you can do with the main characters. In an inverse of regular FF games you can summon heroes to perform devastating specials, similar summoning Aeons (spelling?) in the regular series. There are sometimes a reason to un-stack the monsters and there are some attacks that treat un-stacking like a status effect; Though your attacks are usually more powerful in stacked formation. The monsters can evolve, using the skill tree, but there is no breeding. The biggest drawback to me was the map is very set; Aside from a few puzzles to find small hidden areas, you don't really deviate from the path, similar to Pokemon. Graphics are great and the big summoning attacks look really cool. You can fast-forward through the battles too. This is one I beat and had fun just about the whole time. I know I'll get back to this game at some point to play it through again. It's not too long of a game either if memory serves.

You guys have piqued my interest in Denpa Men, and I have downloaded the demo to my 3DS. Also I had seen some stuff on Temtem before but finding out it's coming to Switch is a great boon for my buddy and I because he's a PC game and I have a PS4 but we both have Switches, and if it's a turn-base RPG we can mostly play together sign me up.

Thanks for the great show!

• Like 1

@AlefgardHero You know, o never even thought about World of Final Fantasy. I have the game, but I haven’t started it yet, but I remember from the demo how it has an emphasis on getting different monsters and using them to from stacks.

We’ll probably revisit Final Fantasy at some point with a future episode, so we might do a quick mention of WoFF depending on the topic.

• Like 1

Oh man, Jade Cocoon. Forgot about that one. The original game had this mechanic that would allow you to create new 3D monsters based on how you merge them. Multiple merges with the same monster types will make them look slightly different each time, and after a few creative merges with several species you can make something truly unique or an eldritch abomination. 

• Like 1

Hmmmm... I have WoFF on my Vita, but haven't even thought of starting it yet. Chibi style is fine, I actually prefer that and 2D any day over "realistic." I just like my games to feel like games.

22 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Anyone looking for Yo-Kai Watch 1, my Walmart still has a dozen or so copies. emoji8.png

Mine still has copies of Yokai 2....don’t remember which version, but there you go.

• Like 2
Oh man, Jade Cocoon. Forgot about that one. The original game had this mechanic that would allow you to create new 3D monsters based on how you merge them. Multiple merges with the same monster types will make them look slightly different each time, and after a few creative merges with several species you can make something truly unique or an eldritch abomination. 
Makes me think of this upcoming one. https://www.cassettebeasts.com/
18 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Hmmmm... I have WoFF on my Vita, but haven't even thought of starting it yet. Chibi style is fine, I actually prefer that and 2D any day over "realistic." I just like my games to feel like games.

I played a few minutes of it. It’s fine. The Vita version is weird though because the voice acting isn’t a part of the base game and instead you have to download it as free DLC.

• Like 2

Here is the youtube version if anyone wants to listen that way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBOEMM6Bqrk

And I didn't realize I forgot to upload MP3 of Sidequest 004 and Prime 024 to the episodes page, they are there now

https://www.woodus.com/den/slimetime/episodes.php

And the MP4 version of Prime 024 as well

• Like 2