Magic The Gathering removes racist cards?

Should Wizards of the Coast ban these seven cards?  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So, I was searching for banned and limited cards for Magic the Gathering and found this:

https://www.polygon.com/2020/6/10/21287154/racist-magic-the-gathering-cards-banned-removed-from-database-wizards-apology

They banned 7 cards for being "racist", including "Crusade", which gives all white creatures +1/+1. But they don't ban cards that give all soldiers/knights +1/+1.

They also banned "Cleanse", because it destroys all black creatures.

People know that mana colors are not skin colors, right? Black creatures are typically undead, zombies, rats, etc... not black people. Am I the only one who thinks this is crazy? Is this going to start affecting Final Fantasy spells soon, because we have Black Mages, White Mages, Red Mages, Blue Mages, and I think Green Mages.

Edited by Wes

I have no bones in this so I don’t really care what Magic does with their cards but the wording could be better. Maybe if they just rephrased them? It is worth noting that something can be racist without intent or malice.

Reminds me of this classic:

Although in this case, the dub just kinda rolled with what the original Japanese version had done, which of course, when made, was devoid of the context of race issues in the US because why would they need to consider that when making a show for a Japanese audience? So it’s not really something to be bothered by.

Edited by eal
16 minutes ago, eal said:

I have no bones in this so I don’t really care what Magic does with their cards but the wording could be better. Maybe if they just rephrased them? It is worth noting that something can be racist without intent or malice.

Reminds me of this classic:

Although in this case, the dub just kinda rolled with what the original Japanese version had done, which of course, when made, was devoid of the context of race issues in the US because why would they need to consider that when making a show for a Japanese audience? So it’s not really something to be bothered by.

Judging by the number of Thumbs Up vs Thumbs Down on this, it looks like most people are sane rational people, who can condemn racism without going overboard to compensate

Thank you, I needed the laugh. I also needed the related video that popped up: Its like a soap opera with how melodramatic and drawn out Magneto gets here

Edited by Wes

This isn't even something that is new sadly. If you are active in the board gaming scene, there have been other companies that have been pushed to censor board games for similar reasons. Even though many of these games are historically themed. I remember one game in particular getting pushed by people to remove a slavery card. Even though slavery was part of said theme.

People get worked up over something. You can absolutely acknowledge that something was terrible, but still have it be an aspect to gameplay in a tasteful way.

I just realized something. I was working on a deck 4 years ago, that would never be banned under normal circumstances.

The deck has all white creatures that have Protection from black. Then, I play Darkest Hour, so all creatures (mine and the opponent's) become black in addition to other colors. At that point all of my creatures are basically unblockable and can't be damaged by any creature on the board. I thought about that deck for four years, and never thought of it as a problem until Wizards issued an apology for their Crusade card

18 hours ago, Wes said:

I just realized something. I was working on a deck 4 years ago, that would never be banned under normal circumstances.

The deck has all white creatures that have Protection from black. Then, I play Darkest Hour, so all creatures (mine and the opponent's) become black in addition to other colors. At that point all of my creatures are basically unblockable and can't be damaged by any creature on the board. I thought about that deck for four years, and never thought of it as a problem until Wizards issued an apology for their Crusade card

I did something very similar, but also ran Crusading Knight and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, and Pestilence.

40 minutes ago, GrandAlchemist said:

I did something very similar, but also ran Crusading Knight and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, and Pestilence.

I never looked at Urborg before. Looks like it would work well for Nightmare, and for anything with Swampwalk.

One of my friends used to stomp everyone with an Islandwalk deck that made all lands Islands

1 hour ago, Wes said:

I never looked at Urborg before. Looks like it would work well for Nightmare, and for anything with Swampwalk.

One of my friends used to stomp everyone with an Islandwalk deck that made all lands Islands

I also use Urborg with Filth in my graveyard in a different deck. 😎

49 minutes ago, GrandAlchemist said:

I also use Urborg with Filth in my graveyard in a different deck. 😎

My best deck was still my white deck. It used Fabled Hero, Skyhunter Skirmisher, Aven Sunstriker, all with Double Strike. Then I used Citadel Siege, and Gleam of Authority.

Some other cards included Dragon Throne of Tarkir, and Nomad's Assembly. I swung on my friend for about 10k damage with it (500 Kor Soldiers with +20/+20 from the Gleam of Authority+Dragon Throne). My friend ran a Saproling deck. He'd swing with 40 creatures, and I'd use Safe Passage. Then I'd swing with one buffed up Double Strike Flying creature, and he'd play Fog. After 2 fogs and a safe passage, he finally got me.

Edited by Wes