I have scans for several Japanese DQ manuals

During the past half year of lockdown, I've gotten into importing Japanese games, including several boxed DQ games. Besides getting them for my DQ collection, I scanned most of their manuals and uploaded them to a dummy Google Drive folder (I don't want to put them on my Google account with my real name): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1EvblbX9BAQVFQlzUBwstvBMFDKvhx6b3?usp=sharing

Right now, it has manual scans for DQ IV and VII on PS1, Slime Morimori/Rocket Slime 3 on 3DS, and Monsters 1, Cobi, and Tara on GBC.

I had contributed a scan for Slime Morimori on GBA to here some time ago, but I noticed there was apparently dirt on the scanning area for that upload. I included a better-quality, rescanned version and the first version in the Drive folder for the sake of comparison.

I'm also looking to, at some point, scan the manuals for Torneko no Daibouken on Super Famicom and a bunch of DS games: Monsters Joker 1 and 2, DQ V, DQ IX, and Itadaki Street DS. I also got DQ XI and Monsters 2 on 3DS, both of which have a manual "leaflet" instead of a booklet like Slime Morimori 3.

• Like 5

Nice, thank you, I will get them added to the Den :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

And they are posted :) Sorry for the delay

Awesome!

I only have a few old manuals, but I love seeing collectibles like this. I should probably scan my old manuals, too. Mine aren't DQ, but hopefully this motivates people to save manuals from all kinds of games for posterity.

• Like 1

I really must apologize for being so lazy with the ones I haven't scanned yet... Scanning the manuals in the quality I want is kind of tedious. You can see how sporadically I've uploaded them if you view the folder as a list.

In any case, since the last update, I also uploaded the manuals for DQ XI 3DS, Monsters 2 3DS, Itadaki Street DS, and Torneko no Daibouken on Super Famicom. Still next to my printer: V on DS, IX, and Joker 1 and 2. Coming in the mail around next week: Joker 2 Pro.

I had to get creative with scanning the 3DS ones since they're narrowly too big for my printer to scan each side in one go. I scanned the top and bottom halves separately and tried my best to stitch them together in GIMP. (The manuals are squares with side length 23 cm = 9.06 in, and the scanning area is 8.5 in wide...)

22 hours ago, Wes said:

Hopefully this motivates people to save manuals from all kinds of games for posterity.

Exactly why I imported those games in the first place! I love being able to find PDFs of game manuals on the Internet, so I suppose this is my way of paying it forward.

• Like 2

On 10/13/2020 at 2:43 PM, Wes said:

I should probably scan my old manuals, too. Mine aren't DQ, but hopefully this motivates people to save manuals from all kinds of games for posterity.

1 hour ago, But Thou Must said:

Exactly why I imported those games in the first place! I love being able to find PDFs of game manuals on the Internet, so I suppose this is my way of paying it forward.

I just checked online. My collectibles include Donkey Kong Country 2, Donkey Kong Country 3, and Yoshi's Island. But the internet already has beautiful copies of them.

https://www.gamesdatabase.org/Media/SYSTEM/Nintendo_SNES//Manual/formated/Donkey_Kong_Country_2-_Diddy-s_Kong_Quest_-_1995_-_Nintendo.pdf

I found something interesting in Pokemon, though. When I first got it, I opened the manual for Pokemon Red, and it said "You are an 11-year old boy", and I went "How did they know!!!" But apparently, this wouldn't have happened if I had lived in Australia. There were many minor variations from region to region. The Australian manual says "Growing up in Pallet Town, you spent a lot of time playing with your next door neighbor" but says nothing about your age.

On 10/14/2020 at 12:41 PM, But Thou Must said:

I really must apologize for being so lazy with the ones I haven't scanned yet... Scanning the manuals in the quality I want is kind of tedious. You can see how sporadically I've uploaded them if you view the folder as a list.

Geez, no worries, I will forget to update stuff indefinitely sometimes, so keep reminding me if I miss anything. And I have those last 4 uploaded. If you don't want to PDF them I can do that step.

Edited by Woodus
  • Like 1