Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I didn't see a DQ3 specific board so i'll just post it here.

 

All the little things about this title make it one of my favorite in the series. The personality quiz and test, along with all the possible combinations of things you can do there, is such a fantastic intro. You have a degree of freedom to make bad choices for yourself, like refusing to meet with the King at the start of the game, and these choices affect your personality, which changes the dialogue of some characters, and also alters your stats. Your 3 companions can class shift and are customizable similar to the Monsters games and some later entries in the series.

 

All in all, it's just a great romp with one of the most referenced heroes in all of DQ. If you haven't tried this one yet, you should.

Edited by Poseidon
Link to post
Share on other sites

DW3 for the Game Boy Color was my favorite game in the series, except for the monsters series. It wasn't until DQIX came out that I liked a main entry more. At that point I had played 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 9.

I put so many hours into this game. I built a team of 4 thieves to harvest seeds and acorns. I built 4 Fighters that gained all the spells first. The fact that you could permanently keep spells when switching to to a non-spellcaster class was awesome. The customization is what really made this game work for me.

I even played the game enough to actually reach GranDragon, and earn the Rubiss Sword. A LOT of monster medal hunting, besides seed hunting meant I played the game far more than most people. I also did a solo quest, and an Amazon quest (party of 4 women).

Still one of my favorite games in the series

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thieves are a great "in between" class if you are going for certain warrior builds. I typically go wizard 21-22 for twinhits, increase, and the occasional mid-game Firebane, thief 23-25 or so for more agility while having some MP growth to offset the loss of it, then to warrior. This makes me usually fast enough to go first, useful to not get ground down by random encounters, and gives me several uses of buffing spells for the harder fights. A solid front-liner that takes little time to finish, you can do it as soon as class changes open up and continue the game.

Edited by Poseidon
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Thieves are a great "in between" class if you are going for certain warrior builds. I typically go wizard 21-22 for twinhits, increase, and the occasional mid-game Firebane, thief 23-25 or so for more agility while having some MP growth to offset the loss of it, then to warrior. This makes me usually fast enough to go first, useful to not get ground down by random encounters, and gives me several uses of buffing spells for the harder fights. A solid front-liner that takes little time to finish, you can do it as soon as class changes open up and continue the game.

I forgot about the Agility. DW3 had some unique stats (like FF2, where Stamina and Magic were how much HP and MP you gained). It was weird that DW3 didn't have guard, but kinda cool that Agl/2=Defense. It meant the Starry Bracelet didn't just make you faster, it also boosted your defense! If I recall correctly (pun intended on the Hero's spell list), Vit and Int only decided your Max HP and Max MP on level up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

I actually didn't know that about agility. That it boosted defense, I mean. I'm now tempted to try Thief/Monk to really boost that agility for extra defense...

Its useful early and mid game. But remember that Agl maxes at 255, so max defense without any equipment is 127.

Late game, most of my characters have 255 agility anyway. I played the GBC version, but I'm sure this holds true for the NES version. I'm sure other experts can weigh in on it, we have some people who know the NES version very well

Link to post
Share on other sites

One of these days I’m going to attempt a 3 Goof-offs/Jesters/Gadabouts party in DQ3. I don’t know what version or how long I will be able to take it, but someday I’ll attempt the challenge.

I like replaying DQ3 with a different party every time. The only consistent party member I try and have is a Sage for both sets of spells, but otherwise I just try a party and see if it works. Maybe do a little training in other classes if needed.

DQ3 is one of those RPGs I can just turn on and not think about while having a good time. I prefer the Super Famicom version of the game but I’ve gotten plenty of playtime from the Gameboy Color and Switch versions as well. Definitely a hallmark of the series and solidified many of the aspects fans would continue to love about the franchise as a whole.

Plus, it’s great that Erdrick joined 3 of the other heroes in Smash Bros, and that Erdrick’s voice actor is a very prolific one too. I can’t recall his name without looking it up, but he’s the voice actor for Adult Link and Fierce Deity Link from the Nintendo 64 Legend of Zelda games, was the voice of Joe Higashi from Fatal Fury & The King of Fighters for a very long time, and the voice of Batsu from Rival Schools. He was the perfect choice for Erdrick’s voice.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
Link to post
Share on other sites

If you do it, you should Let's Play it. I'd watch. 

I've only ever used the GBC version, myself. I'm still curious what the end reward is for collecting every gold medal, supposedly there is one, but I haven't been insane enough to try. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

If you do it, you should Let's Play it. I'd watch. 

I've only ever used the GBC version, myself. I'm still curious what the end reward is for collecting every gold medal, supposedly there is one, but I haven't been insane enough to try. 

Someone posted here many years ago after Gamesharking all gold medals. You get a congratulations message from Grandragon... and he no longer fights you, so its not really a reward

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

That's... underwhelming, to say the least. But I do think the GranDragon refusing to fight you is a nice touch. What is the point, when you have literally conquered everything? 

For me, the point was to max out 4 thieves, and 4 fighters, both their stats and levels. I also did the amazon quest, and saw how far I could get on a solo quest. But if those things are already done, then you could delete your medal book and start over.

I actually found a surprising quirk. The old man requires the first monster medals (1-165, if I recall correctly). I deleted my medal book, and got some of the later medals (like Grandragon and the other monsters in his dungeon). When I got to the cave on my new file and collected the medals again, I found out that the old man doesn't want 165 unique medals, he wants the FIRST 165.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2020 at 1:04 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

 

I like replaying DQ3 with a different party every time. The only consistent party member I try and have is a Sage for both sets of spells, but otherwise I just try a party and see if it works. Maybe do a little training in other classes if needed.

DQ3 is one of those RPGs I can just turn on and not think about while having a good time. I prefer the Super Famicom version of the game but I’ve gotten plenty of playtime from the Gameboy Color and Switch versions as well. Definitely a hallmark of the series and solidified many of the aspects fans would continue to love about the franchise as a whole.

 

All of this. 

After I completed the Switch version, I immediately began thinking that I missed out on a ton of other party options. That, in itself, adds such a fantastic amount of replay value. 

I also have the GBC version, which I never completed. I was thinking of doing a run now that I've played the switch version to do a compare/contrast. Not sure if that'll ever happen though. 

Either way, I'm in agreement that it is an excellent title and one of the best in the series. I would love for them to bring vocation changes back into XII, though I doubt that'll happen. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Fighting Zoma was made feel so much pain and suffering, but actually getting the final blow after all of my RNG savescumming made me feel feel absolute inner peace.

 

DQIII is tied with DQIX for best worldbuilding IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, DragonQuest2IsGood said:

Fighting Zoma was made feel so much pain and suffering, but actually getting the final blow after all of my RNG savescumming made me feel feel absolute inner peace.

 

DQIII is tied with DQIX for best worldbuilding IMO.

 

True Zoma was a beast! I was so close to beating him, and getting so frustrated that I looked it up. Thanks to the internet for telling me about the Light Orb. A few hours after beating him with the Light Orb, I was actually strong enough to go back and beat him without it (I think the Wreck Whip helped put me over the top).

Yet another reason this game is so great: Zoma is hard, but if he's not enough of a challenge, fight him without the Light Orb.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...