Sackchief

I know who did the box art for Dragon Warrior II

Hey guys, so some years back there was a topic asking who the cover artist for DWII was in NA.  Nobody managed to figure it out, however years later I tracked down Chris Hopkins as the artist for DWIII and IV on NES and I did an interview with him.  Well the only thing we had to go off of for DWII's cover art was a lone signature in the corner.

Now @Dwaine seemed to think the signature was "kis" however it looks like we may have been looking at it the wrong way.  This painting wasn't done by a Western Artist, but a Japanese one!

The very same signature appears on the works of Kensuke Suzuki, a pen name for artist Hiroshi Kajiyama who did character designs for the Shining Force series.

Thats the very same signature!  It has to be him!  Now I'm wondering if he did DWI as well, had no idea Enix got a Japanese artist to do this.  Also I'm sad to say that Mr. Kajiyama passed away two years ago in July it looks like.  I'm glad this mystery can be put to rest now at least.

• Like 7

Good find :thumbsup:

Edited by Dwaine
  • Like 2

Now that I'm not in so much of a rush to get out the door, this is a wonderful find. Thanks for adding now TWO missing pieces of the puzzle.

Man the NES art sucked. I wish they used Toriyama's.

spacer.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DragonQuest2IsGood said:

Dragon Quest 2’s original Famicom box art is one of my favorite Dragon Quest pieces of art Toriyama has made, but saying the NES version art sucked is a bit of an exaggeration. It’s different, yes, but it has some cool details and interesting takes on the main trio.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Dragon Quest 2’s original Famicom box art is one of my favorite Dragon Quest pieces of art Toriyama has made, but saying the NES version art sucked is a bit of an exaggeration. It’s different, yes, but it has some cool details and interesting takes on the main trio.

The heavy blues, the warrior raising his sword, the fallen comrades...it's a pretty grisly and dark cover art that perfectly encapsulates in a more grisly realistic fantasy art fashion, the dark world of 2.  It's a very stylized form, reminds me a lot of the Hildebrandt brothers, especially Tim.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, DragonQuest2IsGood said:

You sure you are not confusing it with Dragon Warrior 1&2 on GBC? 

Sorry man. I strongly disagree. I think the NES boxart for 2 is one of the best. I am thinking of getting a CIB copy of it just for the art alone.

21 hours ago, Dwaine said:

Now that I'm not in so much of a rush to get out the door, this is a wonderful find. Thanks for adding now TWO missing pieces of the puzzle.

Glad to help, I'm just wondering if he did DWI as well.

That's a very interesting fact about my namesake's game in the series!  Great detective work @Sackchief!  If this forum were a police station, they ought to transfer you to the Missing Persons Division!

I'm obviously in the K-9 unit. lol

• Like 2