DQ II (Switch) - Stuck in Beran

Hi, I’m new here and I’ve been working my way through the DQ games over the past year. So far I’ve completed DQBuilders 2, DQ VII, DQ I and I’m working to finish DQ II.

The problem I’m having is that I’ve hit a dead end in Beran. I’ve consulted the walkthrough on here and I’m supposed to go to the building behind the deadly floor but when I go up the stairs I just find this room with no exit (see image). However, I’m suppose to be on the overworld heading toward Rendarak. 

I have the moonshard, all 5 sigils, Mark of Erdrick, eye of Rubiss, the false idol. Is this is bug or am I missing something?

thanks in advance for any help :)

F1B61F4D-434C-4A98-84DF-CB766F9D8A7D.jpeg

Oh for heaven’s sake! I just found a YouTube walkthrough that shows where you go. That’s remarkably inscrutable. I would never have thought to go down in the room below! (See at 2:38 in the video) 

Anyway now I’m going through the hell that is the Cave of Rendarak! 

• Like 2

Dragon Quest did sneaky things like this. One of my favorite memories as a child was figuring out how to get to Garin's tomb from Garinham. The NES graphics were very well done and you couldn't immediately tell there was a hole in the wall. I started at the far end and kept trying to walk up until all of a sudden I was outside. It was pretty exhilarating to my 12 year-old self.

I have a feeling I had a small booklet walkthrough for Dragon Warrior 2 so I don't think I figured out that Rhone (Rendarak) Shrine sneakiness on my own.

• Like 4
Dragon Quest did sneaky things like this. One of my favorite memories as a child was figuring out how to get to Garin's tomb from Garinham. The NES graphics were very well done and you couldn't immediately tell there was a hole in the wall. I started at the far end and kept trying to walk up until all of a sudden I was outside. It was pretty exhilarating to my 12 year-old self.
I have a feeling I had a small booklet walkthrough for Dragon Warrior 2 so I don't think I figured out that Rhone (Rendarak) Shrine sneakiness on my own.
Yeah, all the NES versions came with maps. Never had issues with getting lost.
  • Like 1