Sidequest #003 - NES Memories

Thanks @Bururian & @RyuKisargi !

Hosts YangustheLegendaryBandit & Plattym3 talk to Denizens Bururian & MattCraft about some of their favorite NES titles. Escuing just RPGs, we talk about widely known classics such as Fester’s Quest, Boulder Dash, Battle of Olympus, and Faxanadu, while touching on niche titles Castlevania 2, Tecmo Super Bowl, Super Mario Bros. 3, and Kirby’s Adventure.

Pssst @Plattym3, it’s Sidequest #3, not Sidequest #2. 

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Pssst [mention=6859]Plattym3[/mention], it’s Sidequest #3, not Sidequest #2. 
Stupid Chrome autofill. I fixed that twice, but tabbing off and then back on to edit the "NES Memories" reset it yet again. D'oh.

36 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
41 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:
Pssst [mention=6859]Plattym3[/mention], it’s Sidequest #3, not Sidequest #2. 

Stupid Chrome autofill. I fixed that twice, but tabbing off and then back on to edit the "NES Memories" reset it yet again. D'oh.

We’ll just blame it on poor translation. NES games did have that problem.

• Like 1

WeirdThing.png.2830ee6ab61bac887cced07fb89f5896.png

So this bizarre thing is hiding behind your podcast insert.

Looks like the top half of a 404. I'm going to call it the 404 Spider.

Edited by Brother Jaybird
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Catching up on more Sidequest:

I remember renting Castlevania 2 from one of the local VHS rental places in the 80s (before Blockbuster moved in, in the early 90s.) It was a lot of fun and reminded me of Zelda 2 a lot. I've always liked this one better than the original Castlevania, for its RPG elements, but the area-based level caps are kind of annoying.

Oof. Fester's Quest was rough. My brother bought this one. I remember the difficulty spikes for the alien boss battles being completely nuts. That Addam's Family rap, btw was M.C. Hammer. He slips in a self-referencial "Addam's Too-Legit," lyric towards the end of the song, which is a reference to his "2 Legit 2 Quit" song that I believe released shortly before that. @Bururian, I just got to the part in the podcast where you mentioned there's no working rom for Fester's Quest. If you have two copies of the game do you have a means to rip a clean rom? I wonder who we know within our network that might have the hardware to do that. I'd love replay this with save state, and unfortunately my Retron5 died 2 months after I got it.

Ah, The Wizard, with Fred Savage. I remember them debuting the SMB3 footage in that movie in the late 80s. That was a big deal back then. It was determined to be a stage play by Miyamoto, which doesn't really make any sense because it's a side scroller. That's a long-a** stage!

A couple of other honorable NES mentions:

• Mike Tyson's Punch-Out - Fantastic replay value
  • Contra - Up up down down...
  • Baseball Stars (SNK's Baseball Stars) - an RPG styled team-building baseball game
  • Excitebike - Fantastic replay value. My 3 year old LOVES this one!
  • River City Ransom - a game so epic, I named my son Alex after its protagonist. Again, I love RPG elements in non-RPG genres, and this is an RPG of a Double Dragon game that's better than Double Dragon, but never seemed to get the recognition or credit for it. 
  • Mega Man 2 & 3 - I go back and forth on which is better, but MM2 beats MM3, because MM3's extra content (Doc Robot K-176) is somewhat unnecessary and heavily relies on Mega Man 2 bosses. Ultimately both are excellent and have never been topped.
  • Rush N' Attack - Tough game. Love the '80's Cold War dig inspired name.
  • DuckTales - Great replay value and music, like a Mega Man game. The Moon theme is one of the best NES compositions ever. No wonder this, as well as the Mega Man series, and Zelda 2 inspired Shovel Knight.

Shout out to mattcraft for falling asleep and snoring over Yangus. :laugh: Caffeine, dude! :snooze:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Liamland said:

. @Bururian, I just got to the part in the podcast where you mentioned there's no working rom for Fester's Quest. If you have two copies of the game do you have a means to rip a clean rom? I wonder who we know within our network that might have the hardware to do that. I'd love replay this with save state, and unfortunately my Retron5 died 2 months after I got it.

I do have two copies of the game, but no means to rip them.

Yeah, it doesn't make sense for either of us to get a device for one game.

I wonder if we can find someone who has it and ship them a copy. Now I want to give this one a shot again.