Dragon Quest Tact has gotten a US and European Trademark!

1 hour ago, eal said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I dunno his face kind of reminds me more of Android 19.

Spoiler

Personally his face reminded me of Cartman from South Park in a way.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm shocked no on touched this. Sakaguchi has no creative control over Final Fantasy.  Never did.  This is because, at the time of its creation, Square was both developer and publisher. E

Good news, guys. Dragon Quest Tact is officially coming to the west!   https://mobile.twitter.com/SquareEnix/status/1310753921820844032

They keep giving me the exact opposite DQ mobile games that I want. Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Posted Images

2 hours ago, eal said:

What? You don’t think Kane from Jump Force is a great design??? /s

A09F9ACF-9810-4E89-8988-D2BD35A14EB3.png.e9ccd685128750fa3838261e00b4e630.png

Ugh.

I didn't know much about Jump Force. It is one of those games that I try to forget since I wanted it to be a very good game. But we got something that I wouldn't even consider sub par.

16 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:
  Hide contents

Personally his face reminded me of Cartman from South Park in a way.

Spoiler

I don’t have a response. I just want people who aren’t reading these for fear of spoilers to think we’re having a very intense and involved conversation.

13 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

Ugh.

I didn't know much about Jump Force. It is one of those games that I try to forget since I wanted it to be a very good game. But we got something that I wouldn't even consider sub par.

4 minutes ago, DragonQuest2IsGood said:

It isn't just the animation either. A lot of the models look really awful.

I understand that they had to do it to make all the character art styles fit into a 3D environment. But they could have done a way better job with it. Or at least stick to 2D only.

Just now, Twinkie said:

It isn't just the animation either. A lot of the models look really awful.

I understand that they had to do it to make all the character art styles fit into a 3D environment. But they could have done a way better job with it. Or at least stick to 2D only.

Yeah I also heard that the gameplay sucks.

42 minutes ago, eal said:
  Hide contents

I don’t have a response. I just want people who aren’t reading these for fear of spoilers to think we’re having a very intense and involved conversation.

Spoiler

Good idea. Let’s keep this going for awhile and see what happens with it.

7 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:
  Hide contents

HEY EVERYONE THEY ARE PRETENDING TO HAVE ACTUALS SPOILERS IN THE TAGS EVEN THOUGH THERE ISN'T ACTUALLY ANY

HEY EVERYONE THEY ARE PRETENDING TO HAVE ACTUALS SPOILERS IN THE TAGS EVEN THOUGH THERE ISN'T ACTUALLY ANY
Nice try Spoiler-Man

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

Nice try Spoiler-Man

Hopefully no one takes DQ2 seriously. I’d feel bad if someone was spoiled about the DQ11 thing we’re talking about.

Glad you didn’t fall for it Aust!

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

Mwah ha ha. Those ignorant boobs will fall for anything. If only they realized that we aren’t really Dragon Quest fans.

8 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Hopefully no one takes DQ2 seriously. I’d feel bad if someone was spoiled about the DQ11 thing we’re talking about.

Glad you didn’t fall for it Aust!

Yeah, I know. That’s not a very nice trick to pull on people considering we’re talking about

Spoiler

I want more Sugiyama music. I'm not saying I don't want a new composer when he's gone, but I want more music from him while he's alive. Some of his modern stuff is definitely under par, but DQX and DQXI *do* have some good new music. Even IX's music is pretty good if you listen to the symphonic versions. He *can* still write good music, it's just he's evilly stubborn about using synths in-game. That and he doesn't seem to be doing any experimentation, instead relying on the same sound pallette DQ has become known for. (I'm not asking for a radical change, I like his music for what it is. But something subtly new would be nice.)

15 minutes ago, eal said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Mwah ha ha. Those ignorant boobs will fall for anything. If only they realized that we aren’t really Dragon Quest fans.

Yeah, I know. That’s not a very nice trick to pull on people considering we’re talking about

Reveal hidden contents

You raise a fantastic point! It reminds of how 

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

You raise a fantastic point! It reminds of how 

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah that part in the story had me putting down my controller trying to process what the wider implications for the rest of the game would be. This really interesting video I found on YouTube helped me put everything in context:

Spoiler

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, eal said:

Yeah that part in the story had me putting down my controller trying to process what the wider implications for the rest of the game would be. This really interesting video I found on YouTube helped me put everything in context:

Reveal hidden contents

See, that story moment in Act 3 had me thinking too, but I found this was the one that made me stop in shock. It was something I wasn’t expecting from a DQ story...

Spoiler

3 hours ago, DragonQuest2IsGood said:

Look at Final Fantasy Nomura took over for Sakaguchi. Considering how bad modern squeenix is I won't be suprised if DQ will get it's own "Nomura". And the next game after Horii quits will be a sci-fi action RPG.

I'm shocked no on touched this.

1. Sakaguchi has no creative control over Final Fantasy.  Never did.  This is because, at the time of its creation, Square was both developer and publisher.
  2. Enix was always a pure publisher, so they allowed the studios who developed the games they published, to retain creative control over their work, thus you see copyright was carried by the respective game companies who developed their games, while Enix retained nothing.
  3. Yuji Horii's company, Armor Project, owns all rights to the content within Dragon Quest games.  Not the dev kits and tools used to craft them, but the actual content that was created.  So he owns the Battle System, the Scenario data, the Skills/Spells/Nomenclature/Characters/Storyboarding/Quests/Character Development trees, everything related to how the game is scripted, flows, and plays.
  4. All the music, at least all music recorded for DQ by Koichi Sugiyama, is owned by his label, Sugiyama Kobo.
  5. All the artwork for all Characters and Monsters, are owned by Akira Toriyama's studio, Bird Studio.  I imagine the contracts assure his studio has creative control over the art direction of the games, and if anyone could change this, it would Yuji Horii himself, or whoever ends up taking control of Armor Project upon his death.  However given the nature of Japanese society, this would be very unlikely, unless Bird Studio itself shut down, or Toriyama no longer wanted any part of Dragon Quest in any capacity, and made this clear to the Japanese public.  Even then I would fully expect the next studio or group picked, would show some level of deference and respect to the original work, and attempt to keep some aspects and feel of Dragon Quest, as in retain as much of the stylings of Akira Toriyama as they could.
  6. Due to Horii's Studio owning the actual content of Dragon Quest, and likely how the games are designed, that is the only studio that has absolute creative control.  Likely that would carry through in a trust that Horii's family would control well past his death, and until his death, he would have oversight of, to check on and assure follows what he wants in a DQ game, in his retirement, whenever that happens to be.  This is something SE cannot, at this point, even consider legally #$*!ing with, as they don't own the games.
  7. Square Enix DOES however, have the right to produce the label of Dragon Quest.  They also now own the development kits (since DQ7 3DS, which likely means even Level-5's development kit is now owned by SE for future usage, or there might be a minor conflict of interest, which is why we aren't seeing pics, or reading info yet of DQ9's remake on what is likely to be the Switch), or in the case of Unreal Engine, they're using someone else's engine, but keeping the rights to the specific objects/etc. they create with it to avoid development conflicts down the road when Horii retires.

My point being, DQ will not see the same treatment as FF.  Plus, FF established itself as always being different, and Nomura has only spearheaded FF10, which is beloved by most fans, FF13, Versus 13, and the original 15 (the only version I was interested in playing).

Nomura is not the reason FF went downhill anyway.  That's related to a lot of inter conflicts in SE itself, after the merger, and leading up to today.  The biggest one being the upper management split him up to head too many projects, and given his nature of focus on one project, then having to meet deadlines for multiple projects, and forcing himself to spend time here and there with other projects, and lacking any notes on his general direction, then everytime returning to the previous projects, he would cancel or forget stuff because he left no direction, because he was overworked, and had to travel to different sectors of Japan just to keep track of each project, as physically the locations of various projects were in different studios, some hours apart in driving.  That's more SE's management, and Nomura's inability to say "no" than anything else.  He's rather good when he's focused on a project, like KH1, KH2, The World Ends With You, and FF10.

Much of those problems were built around a company constantly shifting its internal mechanisms, and the loss of Sakaguchi, who was the only upper manager with any development experience.  You have to remember, he was the first one in the industry to establish the role of Producer as essentially the top director, as he was part of almost all the development and directing oversight, and assuring they had funding, and were within reasonable time.  His ousting from the company took a massive toll, as well as Yoichi Wada's lack of experience with actually running a company, or understanding of game development, having been the CFO up to that point, so he understood money alone.  He constantly changed the internal structure of the company as per @Dwaine 's experiences getting interviews and how those interviews went over the years, along with quite a few other articles written over the course of his tenure, of the corporate culture.  Money falling through the cracks, etc.  Bad decisions, leaving too much responsibility on certain shoulders, expecting results without placing the right people to manage, making it difficult to communicate issues through the chain, too many middle managers handling information, leading to stuff falling through the cracks.  After he was ousted, there were a few programming staffers who came out and talked about how deteriorated was Square Enix under Wada.

They also lost almost as much money as they gained, and while they did see total gains grow a bit during that period, it was mostly big budget blockbuster releases making up for poor periods of heavy losses, leading to near zero growth 10 years later, for a company slated to see somewhere around 200% growth just as it was, ignoring all the buyouts of other smaller companies like Taito, Quest, and Eidos.

That's been changing since 2013, though it took about 2 years for the new culture to finish formatting, and the start of a new era internally.  We've seen a lot of changes since.  A lot of smarter changes.  We've seen SE become more bold as well in terms of attempting new directions, new games.  Nier Automata, Bravely Default, Octopath Traveler, all the Tokyo RPG Factory attempts, the upcoming Babylon project, all the reworking of FF14, making it arguably one of the most well loved MMO's, and for people here who have played it, DQ10, which is mostly SE, with almost no Horii insight or oversight, as he's been busy with other projects while most of the heaviest DQ10 content was created and unveiled.  Meaning they're respective Horii's style and taking DQ into new directions.  The new DQ spinoffs are another clue, as Horii's barely touched on those, though he has absolute oversight ability.  Builders especially has been nothing short of amazing.  I'd even put Builders 1 now, as one  of my top 10 games of all time.  Builders 2 is my #4 favourite game of all time, and my second favourite DQ game after DQ7.  How is this?  All I think about is playing them both, all the time.  The writing is solid, really well played out, a bit over the top in 2, but still well done.  The battle system could use some work, but it's fun, engaging, simple, and very enjoyable with monster recruits, or in building a death trap in Builders 1 battle island.  Meaning DQ, even without Horii, is in good hands, and he seems satisfied with the handling and respect for his original work.

This also bodes well for DQ going forward, especially with new remakes.  I'd LOVE to see someone flesh out DQ's 1 and 2 more.  There are a lot of special quests they could do, make the Dragonlord more active.  Maybe a super dragon he created goes nuts and unleashes an attack on Tantegel if the Scion snags the rainbow drop before picking up the Armour of Erdrick, and if the other way around, way lays the Scion on the way to Charlock.  I don't know, something.  There's a lot new eyes could work out to add some extra oomph without taking away from what DQ is. While making the next remake worthwhile, because there's some actual new content that fits with the story.  Or just continue that trend not with remakes, but in the same fashion as Builders, and alternative universe or parallel world storylines.  That certainly fits with DQ since DQ6 and both the DQ3 remake where Zenith is connected to all worlds, and DQM1, where portals interconnect all the worlds, leading to 8's Ramia, and 9's Legacies.

• Like 3
40 minutes ago, ignasia said:

I'm shocked no one touched this.

I was just trying to figure out why he quoted me for that post and ignored everyone else.

• Like 1

To be honest, I thought DQ2isGood establish themself as a complete joke account and there's no point in dealing with joke accounts. I'm shocked anyone took them seriously.
2 hours ago, ignasia said:

Listen I'm sorry for what I said. It's just that I see a lot of hate for Nomura and the blame being put on him for the decline of FF.
Here's an example of this.
I haven't played DQX or know much about it so I didn't know that Horii barely had anything to do with it.

Listen I'm sorry for what I said. It's just that I see a lot of hate for Nomura and the blame being put on him for the decline of FF.

I haven't played DQX or know much about it so I didn't know that Horii barely had anything to do with it.
Doesn't have any oversight on it now doesn't mean he had nothing to do with it. It released 12 years ago and while they're still releasing content to this day, he isn't as invested in it. However, he certainly was for v1 and v2. I'm not certain of this, but v3 is when I imagine that DQ11 started to take his attention away from the game.

and there's no point in dealing with joke accounts.

Guess we better start ignoring 95% of Platty's posts!

• Like 1
19 hours ago, eal said:

Akira Toriyama has been making some really uninspired designs lately

I don't know about that. I personally love the designs for Joker 3, X and many other spinoffs. 

Like, sure the likes of Walk and of the Stars are not the most inspired designed games, but these are mobile ones. The big games have had pretty interesting designs imo.

I guess the lack of variety in XI (compared to what X and Joker 3 offered in liberty of creation due to the numerous races of X or the futuristic aspect of J3) made Toriyama less enthusiastic about the game. 

Nevertheless, his designs keep getting better. Sword still his one of his best inspired work so far imo, and X still is the best inspired DQ to day.

As for Sugiyama, true his work seems less and less inspired too, but I'm sure one could squeeze some pretty amazing musics out of him yet. The best that could happen tho, would be for him to realize that he's getting less inspired (kinda like what Uemastu did for FFX), and for him to take like one or two "disciples" or something. 

Horii... Horii is a gem. But from what I've gathered he's not working alone on the scripts and scenarios anymore. DQ of the Stars is being written by someone else already, and I guess the written room is filled with people to work on specific quests or portions of the scenario and stuff like that.

All things considered, I'm pretty confident in the future of the franchise. :D

On 8/21/2020 at 7:16 PM, ignasia said:

He constantly changed the internal structure of the company as per @Dwaine 's experiences getting interviews and how those interviews went over the years, along with quite a few other articles written over the course of his tenure, of the corporate culture.

Glad you mentioned this. It's something I've kinda/sorta wanted to address. Those experiences all stemmed from bad communication and corporate clog. I've long since deleted my experiences with them. It was over two staff changes ago and there's no point to keep perpetuating it. I may not have agreed with the majority of their decisions, but the way the staff was laid off due to projections was completely unfair. Better communication to the fans about what was happening definitely would've eased tensions, but things are much better now.

• Like 1