Dragon Quest Tact has gotten a US and European Trademark!

XI used a(n) (in)decent amount of DQ6's music.

I like the music, but would have preferred new music.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm shocked no on touched this. Sakaguchi has no creative control over Final Fantasy.  Never did.  This is because, at the time of its creation, Square was both developer and publisher. E

Good news, guys. Dragon Quest Tact is officially coming to the west!   https://mobile.twitter.com/SquareEnix/status/1310753921820844032

They keep giving me the exact opposite DQ mobile games that I want. Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Posted Images

8 hours ago, ignasia said:

Interesting.  Watching a video of it, it's not half bad in terms of gameplay.  Though a LOT of locks and paywalls common to freemium games, so I'll avoid it.  If they ever make a proper console game of it, I'd consider it, as I love grid-based gameplay, especially if they add in combination attack elements into it (which I imagine this probably has).

It is interesting to note they're using a LOT of DQ6 and 7 music tracks, something I haven't seen all that often, and the remixes are fairly decent (better than the midi in the DS and 3DS versions of both games, and certainly better than DQ6's mobile release).  Though it's funny to hear DQ7 3DS' rendition of the level up and DQ9's item collection SFX tracks.

DQ6 and 7 do have the best DQ soundtracks quality wise (in my opinion), so I’m fine with them using music from those games. 

• Like 1
XI used a(n) (in)decent amount of DQ6's music.
I like the music, but would have preferred new music.
Until a certain someone dies, I don't see that happening.
Until a certain someone dies, I don't see that happening.
My major concern is that after he passes, they won't replace him and will just keep reusing the music.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

My major concern is that after he passes, they won't replace him and will just keep reusing the music.

That would never fly. Surely people would be more mad about a lack of new music altogether then they would be in getting a new composer to write new tracks.

That would never fly. Surely people would be more mad about a lack of new music altogether then they would be in getting a new composer to write new tracks.
I dunno. A lot of people defend the reuse of tracks "Cuz nostalgia".

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

Decades from now, all three of the big names in Dragon Quest will have passed away. I’d hate to think people wouldn’t want more Dragon Quest games out of nostalgia for what they did for the series before they passed.

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

I think people will be fine with a new composer. With how freaking stingy Sugiyama is, I’m guessing people would accept a new one with open arms.

• Like 1

I dunno about that. People have been complaining, at least on here, about Sugiyama for months and Akira Toriyama has been making some really uninspired designs lately (for Dragon Quest and other projects). Yuji Horii seems to be the most reliable of the three of them, and he can train a successor. Akira Toriyama has a lookalike artist working on the DB Super manga after all.

• Like 2

The series isn’t going to go to hell once the big 3 are gone. That’s a very pessimistic view to have.

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

The series isn’t going to go to hell once the big 3 are gone. That’s a very pessimistic view to have.

For sure, I'm fairly certain they have potential replacements in mind, and Sugi has used other composers before to fill in where he couldn't.  He has to be aware of his ever developing senility given the ever increasing borrowed tracks in the mainline series, and the utter lack of any new tracks for spin-offs.

Given the continued rerendering of older tracks for new games, he has to be aware on some level his new work, especially from DQ11, barely registers in comparison to his older work (with the exception, and I mean SOLE exception of the Overworld track at the start of Act 2, which was excellent).

I think Joker 2 was the last spin-off game to have any unique tracks.

Edited by ignasia
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, ignasia said:

For sure, I'm fairly certain they have potential replacements in mind, and Sugi has used other composers before to fill in where he couldn't.  He has to be aware of his ever developing senility given the ever increasing borrowed tracks in the mainline series, and the utter lack of any new tracks for spin-offs.

Given the continued rerendering of older tracks for new games, he has to be aware on some level his new work, especially from DQ11, barely registers in comparison to his older work (with the exception, and I mean SOLE exception of the Overworld track at the start of Act 2, which was excellent).

I think Joker 2 was the last spin-off game to have any unique tracks.

I know DQ11’s new music is hit and miss with folks, but I thought there were some good pieces. The flying theme was really good IMO.

His quality it slipping though, so hopefully he has some candidates lined up for who can take over. As unlikely as it would be, I’d be down for Yuzo Koshiro as the new composer. His work for RPGs really is good, and going off his work from ActRaiser he can make battle themes in an orchestral/symphony style.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
I know DQ11’s new music is hit and miss with folks, but I thought there were some good pieces. The flying theme was really good IMO.
His quality it slipping though, so hopefully he has some candidates lined up for who can take over. As unlikely as it would be, I’d be down for Yuzo Koshiro as the new composer. His work for RPGs really is good, and going off his work from ActRaiser he can make battle themes in an orchestral/symphony style.
I'll be the first to criticize 11s music, but that harp music from Serena is one of the most touching things he's ever created.

• Like 1
The series is gonna be #$*! after the big 3 die.
1. That may be your opionin, but stating as a fact makes that 100% baseless. You quite literally don't know much about what you're talking about.

2. Music-wise, even the wider RPG community bashes Sugiyama's music as same old same old. The series is not modernly known for its music. Bringing in someone who can bridge styles will actually be a bonus.

3. Have you read about Toriyama lately? I wouldn't say he does nothing, but I think close to nothing. He's stated before that he didn't want to be involved this long in DQ and in reality, he's not. He's not doing many designs at all.

4. If you think Yuji Horii is writing copy text, you're crazy. Sure he does the main idea, but there are plenty of scenarios others write. He's the #1 main important piece, but I also believe he's the easiest and as a storyteller, he's the one I could see still creating for a long time. 6e3ac94aee1f2f598c8f40d91c6ade41.jpg
  • Like 1

For some perspective, volume 3 of Dragon Ball came out a month after Dragon Quest, which means he likely designed the characters for DQ around the time the chapters of volume 2 and 3 of Dragon Ball were being published in Weekly Shonen Jump. That aesthetic was what he was offering the series when it first began. He’s been with the series for so damn long. He doesn’t have anything fresh to offer.

• Like 1
1. That may be your opionin, but stating as a fact makes that 100% baseless. You quite literally don't know much about what you're talking about.

2. Music-wise, even the wider RPG community bashes Sugiyama's music as same old same old. The series is not modernly known for its music. Bringing in someone who can bridge styles will actually be a bonus.

3. Have you read about Toriyama lately? I wouldn't say he does nothing, but I think close to nothing. He's stated before that he didn't want to be involved this long in DQ and in reality, he's not. He's not doing many designs at all.

4. If you think Yuji Horii is writing copy text, you're crazy. Sure he does the main idea, but there are plenty of scenarios others write. He's the #1 main important piece, but I also believe he's the easiest and as a storyteller, he's the one I could see still creating for a long time. 6e3ac94aee1f2f598c8f40d91c6ade41.jpg
All of your points are correct. My main concern is about the decisions that might be made once Hori is no longer around to be the ultimate say in the direction of the franchise.

• Like 1
All of your points are correct. My main concern is about the decisions that might be made once Hori is no longer around to be the ultimate say in the direction of the franchise.

Yeah, it's why he's #1 most important. I worked for many years at my current school with an elderly headmaster. He waved hello to each kid every day and directed meetings the rest of the time. He basically kept watch on what others were doing to run the school, but made very few decisions or much of an active roll for years. It's what I imagine Horii can do. Keep going at a minimal pace. Sit down and lay out some scenarios and then go tour the world for a month. Come back, steer some meetings the right way and take a few weeks off. You're right to be worried, what other series has this many games & kept the same real spiritual direction this long?
Mega Man/DQ Swords composer is good!

I like Toriyama's design. But I won't be that sad when he moves past DQ.

Especially with how lazy his design is as of late.  

Spoiler

I don't know if he did Calasmos. But that design was bad. Looked like a fat Cell. Worst looking final boss imo

33 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

Hide contents

I don't know if he did Calasmos. But that design was bad. Looked like a fat Cell. Worst looking final boss imo

What? You don’t think Kane from Jump Force is a great design??? /s

A09F9ACF-9810-4E89-8988-D2BD35A14EB3.png.e9ccd685128750fa3838261e00b4e630.png

42 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

Hide contents

THANK YOU!

I’m glad someone else agrees that

Spoiler

Calasmos looks like a fat Cell.

16 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

THANK YOU!

I’m glad someone else agrees that

Reveal hidden contents

Calasmos looks like a fat Cell.

Don’t worry. It appears you’re not the only one:

Spoiler

663FB4CC-4B5B-4AD4-8C04-3F03D61E7B35.jpeg.38b1d1a216cab0d8294af1f134230dac.jpeg

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, eal said:

Don’t worry. It appears you’re not the only one:

Reveal hidden contents

663FB4CC-4B5B-4AD4-8C04-3F03D61E7B35.jpeg.38b1d1a216cab0d8294af1f134230dac.jpeg

No no no, that doesn’t count. It’s missing the f word. 😘

15 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

No no no, that doesn’t count. It’s missing the f word. 😘

Spoiler

I dunno his face kind of reminds me more of Android 19.

4 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Look at Final Fantasy Nomura took over for Sakaguchi. Considering how bad modern squeenix is I won't be suprised if DQ will get it's own "Nomura". And the next game after Horii quits will be a sci-fi action RPG.