Which channels do u use to see dragon quest content? I use zenithia Kids (spanish) and sackchief (english). Its difficult to see dragon quest only content. 

6 minutes ago, Gloomy said:

Saigan does good work.

Some DQ YouTubers are real mush mouths, hard to listen to for too long.

Ty, will check it! 

Also, give BenXC a try, if you want to see some really cool Dragon Quest Builders builds, including his entire rendering of the Zelda: Link to the Past map. We interviewed him recently on the Dragon Quest Slime Time podcast.

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...

I recommend Nawaria. Her channel is dedicated entirely to DQX, but here's the kicker: she's fluent in Japanese, and translates the cutscenes. That's how I was able to post X's base-game plot on dragon-quest.org.

• Like 2

sackchief does DQ reviews and good tidbit videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/Sackchief

GC Positive did some in depth reviews of the mainline series, but focuses on other games too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpeYa95mvKM&list=PLCGj9A7lAH8QQkkPMdLZOR1h2HXL0zmyZ

Mr Gentleman does some pretty good in depth DQ analysis videos (currently up to DQIV)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH0fH_3lhJtgHK3bsBFx3_Q

Geekdom101 is the biggest Dragon Ball Youtuber but also does some DQ stuff from time to time. He plans to review the episodes for the upcoming Dai Anime:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgIqhB8oD5SZ0yUSp71VCOQ

I started doing DQ material a year ago with a long in depth review of DQXI and this fall, I'll be releasing in-depth reviews of DQX and all it's expansions:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCePtmyRFS1XrY_NEfMC5cQQ?disable_polymer=true

Here's my trailer for upcoming DQX reviews in October:

I'm surprised after all these years, DQ content is still relatively small on youtube, but there are quite a few dedicated people out there!

• Like 1

@RyanBGP

Honestly, while kind of old-school, I have yet to see or find a single "Guile Theme Goes With Everything" for DQ.  DQ11 is almost the perfect game for it, with certain Pep Powers and full Draconian.  I think that's a good indicator why DQ hasn't taken off.

Another is...no Dorkly or Dorkly-like channels making comedy revisions of DQ storylines.  No "science" breakdowns from The Game Theorists, or similar channels.

The meme's I'm seeing in general usage (outside the various campaign pushes for DQ releases), are horrible.  I mean just poorly thought through, child-level crap that is too simple, lacks relevance, doesn't make any solid points or counter points, misses the mark in what it's attempting to say, etc.  It's just bad, and it doesn't work well if you can't properly meme a game series in a way that catches the eye, or stimulates thought, or fits in context, or uses proper associations, etc.  I'll give ONE exception to Puff-Puff, where at least some people with intelligence or who put in some level of effort, create decent memes.

Until it's made into general social commentary that catches fire and moves the ball forward within the fanbase in general (not the die-hard fans who keep track of everything), let alone capturing attention outside the fanbase, it can't become a huge thing.

What I find sad, is the general popularity of even DQ Builders is far too slow for my liking.  That is a game that should have really cut a path out of the clearing, through the forest, and into the wider city of gamers.

Edited by ignasia
1 hour ago, ignasia said:

@RyanBGP

Honestly, while kind of old-school, I have yet to see or find a single "Guile Theme Goes With Everything" for DQ.  DQ11 is almost the perfect game for it, with certain Pep Powers and full Draconian.  I think that's a good indicator why DQ hasn't taken off.

Another is...no Dorkly or Dorkly-like channels making comedy revisions of DQ storylines.  No "science" breakdowns from The Game Theorists, or similar channels.

The meme's I'm seeing in general usage (outside the various campaign pushes for DQ releases), are horrible.  I mean just poorly thought through, child-level crap that is too simple, lacks relevance, doesn't make any solid points or counter points, misses the mark in what it's attempting to say, etc.  It's just bad, and it doesn't work well if you can't properly meme a game series in a way that catches the eye, or stimulates thought, or fits in context, or uses proper associations, etc.  I'll give ONE exception to Puff-Puff, where at least some people with intelligence or who put in some level of effort, create decent memes.

Until it's made into general social commentary that catches fire and moves the ball forward within the fanbase in general (not the die-hard fans who keep track of everything), let alone capturing attention outside the fanbase, it can't become a huge thing.

What I find sad, is the general popularity of even DQ Builders is far too slow for my liking.  That is a game that should have really cut a path out of the clearing, through the forest, and into the wider city of gamers.

Considering how much DQ music repeats itself in recent games (X, XI, Builders, Heroes, etc), I think "every theme in DQ goes with everything" is already becoming a joke in itself among the fans (along with fans wanting Sugiyama to pass on the torch already and how lazy Square Enix is in putting new DQ music in the latest games).

My DQXI and upcoming DQX reviews are more comedic riffs on the actual storylines with my own riffing and commentary. GC Positive and Mr Gentleman do a good job of the more "science" breakdowns

DQ YouTube is incredibly small, but there's a huge demand for more DQ related content so hopefully we can all fill that void and get more awareness for the series outside of Japan.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, FionordeQuester said:

Aww... You weren't watching my LP, then 😆!

Yeah, I stopped watching to get back to doing my own DQ stuff, but I never watched your silent version, only the music version.  Strange to see a solo Hassan, but cool nonetheless, and very proper usage of Guile's Theme.  Very nicely done, especially with the speed up at the end of the Gracos fight.  Sadly we need more of this in small packages.  I'm too busy with data mining, so not my shindig.

6 hours ago, ignasia said:

Yeah, I stopped watching to get back to doing my own DQ stuff, but I never watched your silent version, only the music version... I'm too busy with data mining, so not my shindig.

Oh I figured, lol.  You're like, half the reason we have proper documentation on the DQ games, so I don't mind 😄!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, FionordeQuester said:

Oh I figured, lol.  You're like, half the reason we have proper documentation on the DQ games, so I don't mind 😄!

I appreciate the thanks, but if I were better organized, like 60% of my findings wouldn't still be stuck in forum dump threads, and actually in FAQs.  It eventually gets there, lol.  One day I'll be finished, lol.  I'm not going to touch DQ12 however, nor any of the other game until what I've been working on is truly done and done.

I will say I do like your LP's, one of the more fun LP's to watch.  Much like krw703, only he doesn't speak, despite you both really diving deep into game mechanics to master your playthroughs.

Edited by ignasia
  • Like 1