Anyone knows something about the supposed New game?

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/07/weekly-jump-teases-news-on-certain-dragon-quest-title-for-issue-35

The rumours are a dq9 remake, dq12 or a monsters game. I hope its dq9

The Jump tease was for DQ11S on PS4/Steam/Xbox One.

The Monsters game is MIA, last thing the producer said is that they are having development issues.

DQ12 is in-production phase. Yuji Horii teased a dream theme for this one a year or so ago.

As for the DQ9 remake, Hino from Level-5 was pushing for it on a live stream. Whether or not it's happening is anyone's guess. Level-5 could do with a win, they've been floundering for a long time.

• Like 3
39 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

Isn't it a little early for XII?

Some people want the next entry ASAP. I’ve seen it happen with a few other series.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
2 hours ago, Gloomy said:

The Jump tease was for DQ11S on PS4/Steam/Xbox One.

The Monsters game is MIA, last thing the producer said is that they are having development issues.

DQ12 is in-production phase. Yuji Horii teased a dream theme for this one a year or so ago.

As for the DQ9 remake, Hino from Level-5 was pushing for it on a live stream. Whether or not it's happening is anyone's guess. Level-5 could do with a win, they've been floundering for a long time.

So they wont show anything more? thought it was something New, something we didnt know existed, not like the S versión of dqXI. 

(and yes, i saw the entire live dragon quest 9 direct without understanding nothing xddddd) 

2 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Some people want the next entry ASAP. I’ve seen it happen with a few other series.

Oh I want it!

I'm just not expecting it anytime soon :laugh:

43 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

Oh I want it!

I'm just not expecting it anytime soon :laugh:

We all want it. Most of us have realistic expectations for waiting for the next mainline entry.

I was referring to fans who get the latest entry but then are immediately like “Ok but where’s the next one?” I’ve seen that for TV shows, games, etc. It’s usually the folks who are a little too into that particular series, essentially the crazed fans. No one in this topic has acted like that though.

I will buy the s version for the extra features, but i was hoping a new title, my hype was so high hahahah. We will hace to wait more

There was also a tease recently to get fans to push for Builders 3.  Suggesting they're probably working on it.  Omega Force suggested wanting to make Heroes 3 as well almost a year ago, but we've heard nothing since.

There's also talk about remaking DQ3 again.  Mostly rumour, but from a relatively credible source, however, until we see anything from SE, or Armour Project, there's nothing to go on.

I guess my point is that there's more stuff to be known.  I'm also wondering when they'll announce Dragon Quest: Infinity Strash for NA/EU markets, given its an Action RPG, and has a decent shot at reasonable sales here.  Though I wonder if the reason they're keeping it under wraps now, is due to the negative feedback of the visuals and animation quality.

DQ9 though, is definitely due for a remake, and the interview was a bit more than suggestive.  It felt like they were teasing it intentionally, because it's now within the general time frame for a remake, and DQ9 would be a nice fresh face to see again, especially with some major overhauls and updates.  So for sure that's a done deal at some point, and yeah, Level-5 could use a leg up.  Snack World wasn't quite up to snuff, and unfortunately Fantasy Life didn't have nearly the traction it deserved.  Most of the player demand has been for Dark Cloud 3, which I'd love to see make a return.  Which I don't understand.  DC2 outsold DC1 in Japan by nearly 3x, and while they've never given US sales, it sold over 500k over here for both, so made the Greatest Hits list.  Which is very frustrating, because that was an amazing gaming experience, and DC2 is worlds beyond DC1, especially in the creation system and the polished combat, and overall better storyline.

Edited by ignasia
  • Like 1

DQ9 though, is definitely due for a remake, and the interview was a bit more than suggestive.  It felt like they were teasing it intentionally, because it's now within the general time frame for a remake, and DQ9 would be a nice fresh face to see again, especially with some major overhauls and updates.  So for sure that's a done deal at some point, and yeah, Level-5 could use a leg up.  Snack World wasn't quite up to snuff, and unfortunately Fantasy Life didn't have nearly the traction it deserved.  Most of the player demand has been for Dark Cloud 3, which I'd love to see make a return.  Which I don't understand.  DC2 outsold DC1 in Japan by nearly 3x, and while they've never given US sales, it sold over 500k over here for both, so made the Greatest Hits list.  Which is very frustrating, because that was an amazing gaming experience, and DC2 is worlds beyond DC1, especially in the creation system and the polished combat, and overall better storyline.

All of this! Yes, I see DQ9 on Switch as an inevitably. Everyone I've heard talk about Snack World has given it a hearty meh.@Austin and I have mentioned before Fantasy Life is our favorite 1-off JRPG. And I was just talking with someone about Dark Cloud last night on the Den, loved that duology enough that I bought them again when PS2 on PS4 was a thing & sunk some good time into them. Level-5 is sitting on some piles of dusty gold, they need to get moving!
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

All of this! Yes, I see DQ9 on Switch as an inevitably. Everyone I've heard talk about Snack World has given it a hearty meh. Austin and I have mentioned before Fantasy Life is our favorite 1-off JRPG. And I was just talking with someone about Dark Cloud last night on the Den, loved that duology enough that I bought them again when PS2 on PS4 was a thing & sunk some good time into them. Level-5 is sitting on some piles of dusty gold, they need to get moving!

They keep working on Yo-Kai Watch projects and it seems like everything else is on the back burner for them.

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

All of this! Yes, I see DQ9 on Switch as an inevitably. Everyone I've heard talk about Snack World has given it a hearty meh.@Austin and I have mentioned before Fantasy Life is our favorite 1-off JRPG. And I was just talking with someone about Dark Cloud last night on the Den, loved that duology enough that I bought them again when PS2 on PS4 was a thing & sunk some good time into them. Level-5 is sitting on some piles of dusty gold, they need to get moving!

I really need to finish Dark Cloud 1 at some point, and 2 demands a replay at least once.  They really are making some odd choices.  Maybe due to Yokai Watch's general popularity in Japan?  It's not selling well outside Japan.

This explains it:

https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Yo-kai_Watch

It's their only million + seller in the country, and given the 2nd game's sales, they clearly felt they had something.

3's numbers are on wikipedia, and they're just shy of 1m in Japan, all sales combined.

4 however, killed the series.  It's sales are apparently under 300k in Japan, and it's probably never coming out of that country.  So I don't see a Yokai Watch 5 in their future.  Yokai Academy was supposed to be a spinoff, and should have been released already.  Since it hasn't, chances are good it might be cancelled, or depending on how far along they are, get an early simpler release just to recoup development costs.  Though 300k is a lot for a game, that scaling down from 1+m to 300k is generally a series killer, which is good, because I'm not fond of Yokai Watch's gameplay.  It's like having only DQ8's monster teams, which gets a bit old after awhile, since the only change you can make is switching the roster.

Ni No Kuni is their second most successful franchise that's recent.  Though it's first game sold 1.1m, second just over 900k, and the remake I can find nothing on, suggesting sales were under par.  That's always a problem with a niche release.  Sadly the only version of the first game I want to play, will never see official US release (the DS version of the original, or at least it's gameplay style).

I don't think they understood what players didn't like about Fantasy Life.  There are a LOT of small touchups they could have done to make a second game that's more accessible to adults.  Enhancing elements in the crafting system to offer some complex patterns for late game stuff, offer an upgrade system, offer more magic options, more combination attacks in battles that are obvious, like when in combat mode, have more than one combat button for attacking and charge attacks, maybe have two, hard and weak attacks, and have them combine, with holding down a button to unleash special skill attacks that are gained.   Make the chopping more engaging by adding in a layer of mini-game to them, much like fishing, at least for the trees that are too difficult with a current axe and skill level.  Maybe put in a harvest moon growing system, so you can grow your own plants, and even like those old science kits where you'd grow rocks (I actually liked growing crystals...man I do miss museums...this year was supposed to be a birthday trip to the natural history or the zoo, but no dice as they're still closed...even though I know people that work there, and they had a whole plan, rather brilliant...eh, anyway).  Maybe tack in some animal crossing elements, by allowing the creation of a museum.  Heck, there's a lot they could have worked on with the story.  Plenty of other "planets" and "worlds" in the creator's room that are left unexplored.  That would have been fun.  Or start it off with a bang...he's not the only creator, and now another universe/creator wants to overtake the world, or is looming too close and they collide, creating a combination world or something.

I don't know, I just wish they built off of Fantasy Life instead of gutted it and went for a simpler combat version with dungeon crawling in RNG dungeons.  It is sad they felt like rehashing literally all the major NPCs from Fantasy Life, but giving them even more ridiculous names, which while clever, is a little...how can I say?  Drab and uninteresting after a time, because it's far more creative to have punnilicious names from various forms and walks of life, not just a single element.  Though I still can't get over that they did a literal copy-paste of core character models from Fantasy Life.

Oh boy. Talking about my favorite dev!

Get a Fantasy Life port thrown over on the Switch while we are at it too for good measure. Or better yet. An actual sequel.

I would actually like ANYTHING that isn't Yo-Kai Watch really. Couldn't get into it.

• Like 1
On 8/13/2020 at 2:37 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

We all want it. Most of us have realistic expectations for waiting for the next mainline entry.

I was referring to fans who get the latest entry but then are immediately like “Ok but where’s the next one?” I’ve seen that for TV shows, games, etc. It’s usually the folks who are a little too into that particular series, essentially the crazed fans. No one in this topic has acted like that though.

Yeah, I feel ya. 

I am, however, "Crazed," in the sense that I feel a little tingly every time DQ news pops up.