Torneko no Daibouken (GBA) Translation Patch

On 1/25/2021 at 3:46 PM, aaaa said:

I found something like this.

It may or may not be useful.

http://hackgames.geo.jp/Romhacking/Toruneko3gba/

Oh! Very exciting! I have previously fallen down a rabbit hole of modifying and hacking further with Final Fire Pro Wrestling, I figured out how to change the wrestlers and spent months updating them all. This might be something I look at in a bit more detail for Torneko in the future though!

I've got a couple of screenshots and wanted feedback on the item name layout. I'm finding I've got to compromise with names as in most cases I only have a certain number of letters to work with. The only rule I'm sticking with so far is no spaces in any item names. I get an extra letter back that way, and even if I have room for a space I'd rather the item names all looked uniform. The next issues I've run into is whether I come up with abbreviations for items e.g.

Wooden Shield - I can only fit 7 characters do I go with "WoodShd" or "Wooden" and rely on the icon identify the type of item it is? I'm siding more with the latter because it looks cleaner, but wanted to see what other people though.

I'm sure a better translator would just figure out how to expand the size of the ROM, and I might do one day but for now I want to create something playable.

Spoiler

2110977449_Items(A).png.9f8c89d510e1b202f438a2f49e2172d3.png
Options A

1013288939_Items(B).png.857c70596c4c6b26c39100b22b487600.png
Option B

• Like 1
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thank you for all of the messages and support! I really appreciate the comments! I'm chipping away at the story mode text a bit more but have a much better idea of the layout of the ROM. I'll share so

I just registered to this forums to keep track of this I LOVE the game and am searching for a translation for it every few years.. seems like my dream is coming a bit reachable ;_;?

Hi everyone. I started messing about with a a Torneko ROM and was wondering if there was much interest in a translation patch for it? I've found a couple of people mention one in the works but nothing

Posted Images

On 1/31/2021 at 2:01 PM, Plattym3 said:

I'd go with Wooden. The icon is good enough to tell what's what.

I've gone through all of the items I'd already translated and followed that format, I'd compromised so much in some places but now it looks so much cleaner. I'm hoping to have news about an early-access demo before too much longer.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Planning the have a release on the 6th March! 

One thing I have learned is I need to share more information about this patch as it comes along.

All of the items and monsters are translated, part of the story and some dungeon text. There's still a long way to go but I'm planning on regular releases after this.

I'll also be looking for volunteers to test too! A couple of people have tried playing so far but I'll have something more structured in the way of testing in the future.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Tigermask said:

Planning the have a release on the 6th March! 

One thing I have learned is I need to share more information about this patch as it comes along.

All of the items and monsters are translated, part of the story and some dungeon text. There's still a long way to go but I'm planning on regular releases after this.

I'll also be looking for volunteers to test too! A couple of people have tried playing so far but I'll have something more structured in the way of testing in the future.

I don't know how you've localized the title, but may I suggest DRAGON QUEST Mystery Dungeon: Torneko Taloon's Terrific Treasure Hunt 3? (Plus a subtitle if necessary, I can't remember if there is one in Japanese.

I don't know how you've localized the title, but may I suggest DRAGON QUEST Mystery Dungeon: Torneko Taloon's Terrific Treasure Hunt 3? (Plus a subtitle if necessary, I can't remember if there is one in Japanese.
You're getting into DQHTWTWATBB territory there!
14 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

You're getting into DQHTWTWATBB territory there! emoji1787.png

I don't see a problem with that

• Like 1

Gonna have to give this game a shake when it releases. I love Mystery Dungeon games, but the only ones I've played is the original one, the PS1 version we got here, and Adventure Bar Story on the 3DS.

• Like 2
Gonna have to give this game a shake when it releases. I love Mystery Dungeon games, but the only ones I've played is the original one, the PS1 version we got here, and Adventure Bar Story on the 3DS.
Hold up there, Hoss. Adventure Bar Story is not a Mystery/Roguelike game. That's just a straight up JRPG with a buttload of item creation. Basically it's like the Atelier Iris games on PS2. It's got turn-based battles that break away to their own screen, it's not you move/monster moves like Torneko games.
15 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Hold up there, Hoss. emoji113.png Adventure Bar Story is not a Mystery/Roguelike game. That's just a straight up JRPG with a buttload of item creation. Basically it's like the Atelier Iris games on PS2. It's got turn-based battles that break away to their own screen, it's not you move/monster moves like Torneko games.

ahh, it was the other one. Adventure Labyrinth Story. That's the Mystery Dungeon one I played. Not the aforementioned.

• Like 1
ahh, it was the other one. Adventure Labyrinth Story. That's the Mystery Dungeon one I played. Not the aforementioned.

That's one I'd never heard of, but oh yeah, that's definitely one. Looks like that company Rideon makes a bunch of budget games in various formats. I have Bar Story, mainly because I really enjoyed their Tavern Story game.
7 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
12 hours ago, Bururian said:

That's one I'd never heard of, but oh yeah, that's definitely one. Looks like that company Rideon makes a bunch of budget games in various formats. I have Bar Story, mainly because I really enjoyed their Tavern Story game.

Funny enough I got Adventure Labyrinth because I wanted a Mystery Dungeon game that wasn't Pokemon, and at the time there wasn't a lot out there.

I tried One Way Heroics, but it wasn't really clicking with me, and I wasn't willing to pay what people online were asking for Shiren the Wanderer on the DS. I also didn't have Torneko: The Last hope like I do now. I can only play so much of Torneko no Daibouken in Japanese. Gotta at least know what I'm doing, and I'm sure there's a patch for that game somewhere online, too.

On 1/30/2021 at 11:19 AM, Tigermask said:

Oh! Very exciting! I have previously fallen down a rabbit hole of modifying and hacking further with Final Fire Pro Wrestling,

Hmmm Fire Pro, you say? I don't know how big those circles run, but I have a friend that is super into modding those games. He goes by 'Freem' Do you by chance know him?

On 2/25/2021 at 6:45 PM, Bururian said:

Funny enough I got Adventure Labyrinth because I wanted a Mystery Dungeon game that wasn't Pokemon, and at the time there wasn't a lot out there.

I tried One Way Heroics, but it wasn't really clicking with me, and I wasn't willing to pay what people online were asking for Shiren the Wanderer on the DS. I also didn't have Torneko: The Last hope like I do now. I can only play so much of Torneko no Daibouken in Japanese. Gotta at least know what I'm doing, and I'm sure there's a patch for that game somewhere online, too.

Hmmm Fire Pro, you say? I don't know how big those circles run, but I have a friend that is super into modding those games. He goes by 'Freem' Do you by chance know him?

I know the name and about the mods, but don't think we've ever spoken! I think there are two main forums now, one for the vanilla version of the latest game and one for the mods etc. I could be wrong because I'm very much out of the loop. My Fire Pro experience consists of playing with my friend Brendon when he can come over (Lockdown is easing so it's been a fair few months since he's be allowed to come over and hang out!)

I'll have some screenshots of Torneko to share today. Just shed a bit more light on what I've done for the release. 

• Like 1

As promised, I've got a few screenshots and bits of information to share before the first early release:

Main Menu

Spoiler

2125346106_Menu-1.png.6cac15dee94b3adb417e199b4c478656.png1210074176_Menu-2.png.c550f7b5c13fa1c07cf38d939a3cc5ea.png1420795615_Menu-3.png.f009b1051438c12471516036dafefecf.png

The main menu is pretty much there. Some parts that are missing related to save data (e.g. location or other save information).  

527816084_Menu-4.png.d89f8349def4f29bae0d56c39aea4eb4.png

The English text input still needs some TLC. Uppercase characters work fine but I can't get the lowercase to display properly. 

Story Mode

Spoiler

719542452_Town-2.png.4dbcdd826611d41a0cb9a0a4f27ea090.png]

I hadn't intended on doing a great deal of the story for now, however I'm planning for my focus to be on the story for the next patch. I've translated a lot of the first day or so you're in town, up until you're about to leave the village. I've also translated the majority of the priest dialogue. 

615898885_Town-1.png.4a2db165ed8de4c9500588526006f029.png

Also text relating to searching barrels and opening chests!

Dungeon Text

Spoiler

310451938_Dungeon-1.png.337ce6231741032ac2ac88aabd7e868b.png2047727547_Dungeon-3.png.588c16fb7e5936218d676332e4013a4b.png

Some of the battle text translated. I'm not happy with the "Name"!! when something attacks but it'll have to do for now! I'll also expand on some of the dialogue for the partner in your party for the next release. All of the monsters are full translated. There will be a few changes along the way but at least everything has a name!

290605840_Dungeon-2.png.a80047b6a3c97a802335efaea884c484.png

The Adventure Results screen. Just the result details to do, there are SO MANY different deaths!

1055872747_Dungeon-4.png.91efc2d5cf5aa7d924798b6ab8cb70f9.png

Dialogue with the party members is coming along. Just menus for now but clearly a lot to do with Party Chat!

1517722067_Dungeon-5.png.d45d479aaec68e7b91c76b68b32f77d4.png

All of the items are translated. Again, some of these will get tweaked but everything has a name. Sorry it's only Copper swords and Wooden shields, that was literally all I could find this morning!

Only a couple of days to go until the release.

It will be available on the 6th March 2021 via the Mystery Dungeon Wiki discord:

https://t.co/HoXVtaZsWl?amp=1

• Like 2

Great work, was fun to hear you on the podcast. Thanks for putting all this work into this translation :)

• Like 2

Thank you everyone! It's been 24 hours since the patch was released on The Mystery Dungeon Wiki Discord (Cheap plug! https://t.co/HoXVtaZsWl?amp=1). Despite my boasting on Twitter, I didn't actually do any patch work yesterday. More because work is all screen time at the moment, I got out to see the real world for a little bit or at least as much as I could under the current restrictions. 

My main focus for the next patch is story. There is SO much to do and I know once it's done I'll go back over it to make sure it has the DQ charm (One of the bits I'm most nervous about). I've got a nice bit of text relating to the feedback on the Adventure Summary screen too, there's a crazy amount of ways to die. 

• Like 1

I'm looking for a small group of testers if anyone is interested. It'll be to test the minor patches I develop between the official releases. Please drop me a message if you're interested!

Hey Sam, I've got some feedback on the latest version. Is here a good place for it or do you want me to send it to you directly?

A few thoughts:

The opening menu where players spell their 4-letter character name out, the lower case letters are rendering ? question mark responses when selected. Only the capital letters seem to work.

You mentioned potentially changing all Popolo references to Tipper. If you end up making this move there's one part in the beginning where they're yelling his name and it ends up being something like Popoloooo with a bunch of extra Os. If you were doing a find-replace that elongated name wouldn't get picked up so that would need to be updated, separately.

Sometime between when the tidal wave hits and Torneko wakes up on the island there's an expository screen that says "The Torneko's were washed ashore on an unknown beach." Keeping with the localization of Dragon Quest IV for Nintendo DS, Torneko's name was combined with the original localization name from Dragon Warrior IV (NES), where the character's name was Taloon. The updated name, which was used in the Nintendo DS and subsequent mobile remake, was Torneko Taloon. Since Taloon is now the western-release canon last name for Torneko's family, it makes sense to update this screen's text to "The Taloons were washed ashore on an unknown beach.", and then find someplace earlier in the script to reference his name as Torneko Taloon (at least once, to establish the name for players not familiar with the DQIV remake localization.)

• Like 1
On 3/10/2021 at 3:44 PM, Liamland said:

Hey Sam, I've got some feedback on the latest version. Is here a good place for it or do you want me to send it to you directly?

A few thoughts:

The opening menu where players spell their 4-letter character name out, the lower case letters are rendering ? question mark responses when selected. Only the capital letters seem to work.

You mentioned potentially changing all Popolo references to Tipper. If you end up making this move there's one part in the beginning where they're yelling his name and it ends up being something like Popoloooo with a bunch of extra Os. If you were doing a find-replace that elongated name wouldn't get picked up so that would need to be updated, separately.

Sometime between when the tidal wave hits and Torneko wakes up on the island there's an expository screen that says "The Torneko's were washed ashore on an unknown beach." Keeping with the localization of Dragon Quest IV for Nintendo DS, Torneko's name was combined with the original localization name from Dragon Warrior IV (NES), where the character's name was Taloon. The updated name, which was used in the Nintendo DS and subsequent mobile remake, was Torneko Taloon. Since Taloon is now the western-release canon last name for Torneko's family, it makes sense to update this screen's text to "The Taloons were washed ashore on an unknown beach.", and then find someplace earlier in the script to reference his name as Torneko Taloon (at least once, to establish the name for players not familiar with the DQIV remake localization.)

Thank you Liam!

I've had trouble getting it to display lower-case characters. On the input screen. I've tried the SHIFT-JIS and ASCII encoding and neither seem to show up. There might be a bit further up in the table, I probably need to keep digging.

I had forgotten about that bit with Popoloooooo. I seem to like making a rod for my own back sometimes. Will remove the extra Os now so I don't forget later.

Sounds good. I knew I'd got mixed up with his surname and first name in places. I'm trying my best to stick to the canon on the current localisation so will be sure to fix this. Thank you!

• Like 2

Hello everyone! Sorry for the lack of news, work has been busy so I've been fitting bits and pieces on the patch. I'm still looking for testers if anyone is interested? You'll get access to the pre-release patches but, of course, I'm looking for feedback too!

I've just tweeted out a link to the 0.01 patch. 

https://twitter.com/SamManOfSteel/status/1373198659660177411?s=20

I'm working on more of the story and the tutorial dungeon text at the start for the next patch. I've still got to go over item names again and re-do the pointers, which may be the job for this weekend. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I'm still working through pointers for items. I figure getting this done gives me space that I can use to stick dungeon text in. Some names are changing for items too but not too many. I'm trying to get more accurate translations in now I have the space for it. No screenshots of anything exciting unfortunately but I might do some of the story text today.

• Like 3