Torneko no Daibouken (GBA) Translation Patch

Hi everyone. I started messing about with a a Torneko ROM and was wondering if there was much interest in a translation patch for it? I've found a couple of people mention one in the works but nothing more than that. I've already made a start on the menu screen at the beginning but wanted to:

A) Check there wasn't already one in the works or available.

B) Gauge the interest of one. 

The only other translation project I've worked on was Final Fire Pro Wrestling for the GBA. Translating a wrestling game might not sound overly complicated but it had a promotion management mode and I figured out how to edit all of the wrestlers, promotions and other bits too.

Anyway! Please let me know what you think.

• Like 1
Hi everyone. I started messing about with a a Torneko ROM and was wondering if there was much interest in a translation patch for it? I've found a couple of people mention one in the works but nothing more than that. I've already made a start on the menu screen at the beginning but wanted to:
A) Check there wasn't already one in the works or available.
B) Gauge the interest of one. 
The only other translation project I've worked on was Final Fire Pro Wrestling for the GBA. Translating a wrestling game might not sound overly complicated but it had a promotion management mode and I figured out how to edit all of the wrestlers, promotions and other bits too.
Anyway! Please let me know what you think.
Which one were you considering doing? I have a suggestion if I may be so bold.

There are 2 Torneko GBA games.
1. Dragon Quest Characters: Torneko no Daibouken 2 Advance is the GBA version of the PS1 title we got in the United States

2. Dragon Quest Characters: Torneko no Daibouken 3 Advance is the GBA version of the 3rd title which came out in Japan as a PS2 title as well. Coincidently enough, I started this game up just last night. Played for about 30-40 minutes. I actually beat the first dungeon (guess this has multiple because that first was only 3 or 4 floors and then I was done). Sadly I saved the game at the place to do so in-game and then went to close the game through the emulator and it hard froze my Vita. Took a good 5 minutes to shut it down and power it up again. I'll have to try it with a different core, but yikes!

I'd suggest if you're willing to do the third game as it's the one that's not in any way come West. The first SNES one has a fan translation. The second one came as a PS1 title. The third's never received any love.

As some extra incentive if you do take up this gauntlet, perhaps this would be a good excuse for@Liamland and I to finally talk about the Mystery Dungeon series on our Slime Time podcast and who'd be a better guest on that episode than you!?
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Which one were you considering doing? I have a suggestion if I may be so bold.

There are 2 Torneko GBA games.
1. Dragon Quest Characters: Torneko no Daibouken 2 Advance is the GBA version of the PS1 title we got in the United States

2. Dragon Quest Characters: Torneko no Daibouken 3 Advance is the GBA version of the 3rd title which came out in Japan as a PS2 title as well. Coincidently enough, I started this game up just last night. Played for about 30-40 minutes. I actually beat the first dungeon (guess this has multiple because that first was only 3 or 4 floors and then I was done). Sadly I saved the game at the place to do so in-game and then went to close the game through the emulator and it hard froze my Vita. Took a good 5 minutes to shut it down and power it up again. I'll have to try it with a different core, but yikes!

I'd suggest if you're willing to do the third game as it's the one that's not in any way come West. The first SNES one has a fan translation. The second one came as a PS1 title. The third's never received any love.

As some extra incentive emoji1787.png if you do take up this gauntlet, perhaps this would be a good excuse for@Liamland and I to finally talk about the Mystery Dungeon series on our Slime Time podcast and who'd be a better guest on that episode than you!?

Funnily enough, it was 3rd one I was looking at. It seems straightforward so far, it's just going to take a lot of time. I've not got that far into playing it myself but I'm sure I will in the next few months. I put out a patch for it in the next couple of days, just to see if I can get the main menu done as well as latin alphabet input 🤔

Definitely an incentive to work towards! I should have it done summer 2030 at the earliest if that's okay?

• Like 3
Funnily enough, it was 3rd one I was looking at. It seems straightforward so far, it's just going to take a lot of time. I've not got that far into playing it myself but I'm sure I will in the next few months. I put out a patch for it in the next couple of days, just to see if I can get the main menu done as well as latin alphabet input 
Definitely an incentive to work towards! I should have it done summer 2030 at the earliest if that's okay?
You're penciled in for Episode 075 - Tigermask & Torneko's Mystery Dungeons. What do your Wednesday nights look like in July 2023? Say 8pm CST.

2am BST! Normally asleep but I'm sure I could make an exception.

There's a good chunk of the main menu done so far. Two things I found that were interesting. There are the remains of a debug menu. I don't know if it's accessible but good to know. Also the secret ??? mode is "Ballinabo Challenge Mode". From what I could find (Here!) it's a "Hard Mode" where, if you die, you lose all progress and go back to the start of the game. It's unlocked by completing the Story Mode.

• Like 1

Ooooh that'd be absolutely brilliant! The 3rd Torneko game always looked like a lot of fun. 

If you do work on it, do you think you could do some screenshots of the work progress and maybe the softwares you use to do so? I've always been curious as to how people translated games, but never actually saw how it worked.

• Like 2
Ooooh that'd be absolutely brilliant! The 3rd Torneko game always looked like a lot of fun. 
If you do work on it, do you think you could do some screenshots of the work progress and maybe the softwares you use to do so? I've always been curious as to how people translated games, but never actually saw how it worked.
Hi@Xiggy! No worries, I'd be happy to post some screenshots and a bit more about the tools I use. At the moment I'm only using MadEdit (Hex editor), but in the past I'd also use NLZ-GBA (Rip/Replace graphics) and Lunar IPS (To make patches).
I'll be sure to post some screenshots and videos soon. I did run into my first stumbling block with inputting text. The input screen stores the letters you select and the letters that appear as your name in two different places. I've also got a "Corrupt Data" message that I've not found on the cartridge yet. Otherwise, I'm getting close to having the menu done, which leaves the easy bit of any game, all of the dialogue!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 3

That's absolutely awesome! 

I've heard of this hex thingy before, but never really thought about what it meant or how it worked. 

Does it looks like a bunch of 0 and 1, or maybe some other numbers to re-create characters (letters/Kanji, numbers...) or do you have a txt file that you can translate juste like that? :o

Ah, look at me, am sorry, I guess I'll just have to wait and see when you post pictures of the translation process! I wish you a successful endeavor, and I'll be sure to play the heck out of this game once it's translated! ;)

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Sorry for the delay! You're not far odd, MadEdit displays hexadecimal one side (alpha numeric characters between 0-9 and A-F) with real-world values appearing in the right depending on the encoding. Some of it I'm just typing over the Japanese text with the translation and some I have to look up the character I'm after on a Shift-JIS table and enter the hexadecimal value. 

I've got a few screenshots to share so far! The menu is getting there, I've got a few options to translate in "Extra Mode" and I've had a corrupt save message pop up that I need to do. You can now also enter a name using western characters (A-Z), only upper case at the moment. Lower case is causing me a few issues. Some of the wording is off on the text, for example "Factory Reset" only resets the settings and I might change the wording for "clicking" the explain option.

Spoiler

Menu_01.png

I've done nothing here and probably never will!

Menu_02.png

The main menu. The only options are New Game and Settings if you don't have a save.

Menu_03.png

Settings. I only had six characters to play with on the "Light" setting. This manages the contrast of the screen. Any suggestions?

Menu_04.png

Loading a game! I've got the translate the options for Extra Mode still.

Menu_05.png

Text input! This was irritating to do. The letters you select and a completely different entity from the letters that appear. The input screen is done using ASCII while the letters that appear in the preview window are Shift-JIS. To make matters worse, the game won't display lower-case shift-JIS characters but will ASCII, but then this creates other issues with them using two character spaces rather than one! It was all in on big grid on Final Fire Pro Wrestling!

Menu_06.png

The different modes

Menu_07.png

Creating a new save.

Edited by Tigermask
  • Like 1

There exists chinese translations for these games. They've been taken down from RHDN for some reason, but are on the Wayback Machine so you can download them and study them if that helps you at all.

Torneko 2 GBA Chinese patch: https://web.archive.org/web/20150919063219/http://www.romhacking.net/download/translations/2436/

Torneko 3 GBA Chinese patch: https://web.archive.org/web/20150919141751/http://www.romhacking.net/download/translations/2437/

• Like 1
Sorry for the delay! You're not far odd, MadEdit displays hexadecimal one side (alpha numeric characters between 0-9 and A-F) with real-world values appearing in the right depending on the encoding. Some of it I'm just typing over the Japanese text with the translation and some I have to look up the character I'm after on a Shift-JIS table and enter the hexadecimal value. 
I've got a few screenshots to share so far! The menu is getting there, I've got a few options to translate in "Extra Mode" and I've had a corrupt save message pop up that I need to do. You can now also enter a name using western characters (A-Z), only upper case at the moment. Lower case is causing me a few issues. Some of the wording is off on the text, for example "Factory Reset" only resets the settings and I might change the wording for "clicking" the explain option.

Spoiler

Menu_01.png.9d16af06d6a6ba736a3ebcd4030452f4.png
I've done nothing here and probably never will!
Menu_02.png.20663256d611fdf7d03c16fe071925b2.png
The main menu. The only options are New Game and Settings if you don't have a save.
Menu_03.png.fe049ebf57d311a615e32c470bc80b9c.png
Settings. I only had six characters to play with on the "Light" setting. This manages the contrast of the screen. Any suggestions?
Menu_04.png.bed615376cec343f4700ec9f7285704a.png
Loading a game! I've got the translate the options for Extra Mode still.
Menu_05.png.8e20a579e1d8e185dba9784d528cc02e.png
Text input! This was irritating to do. The letters you select and a completely different entity from the letters that appear. The input screen is done using ASCII while the letters that appear in the preview window are Shift-JIS. To make matters worse, the game won't display lower-case shift-JIS characters but will ASCII, but then this creates other issues with them using two character spaces rather than one! It was all in on big grid on Final Fire Pro Wrestling!
Menu_06.png.650868c6d3359c8c442831d21709f515.png
The different modes
Menu_07.png.380319550917553a1f3645a0d0553d0c.png
Creating a new save.

Looks awesome!

Platty and I both played the first Torneko with the hodge-podge translation (the kind where sometimes using an item will actually tell you the opposite effect of that item). I enjoy the mystery dungeon series, particularly the second one for PSX, which builds a lot from the first and adds a cool weapon and defense stacking mechanic. Much like Mother 3, and Slime Mori Mori 3, Torneko 3 is one of those Japan only games that I just never put enough effort into trying, but I do want to, someday.

Thanks for working on this!

...I'm sensing a pattern in third installments of Japan-only games. I need to break that cycle.

• Like 2
Posted (edited)

I'd hardly played it at all when I first started but I enjoy rogue-likes so I'm having a lot of fun with this! The only problem is I'll think "I'll just work on it for an hour" and 7 have passed.

I've got a table together. The text in the game is encoded with Shift-JIS (Mostly story-based text) but a lot of the dungeon text is a combination for Shift-JIS and a double-digit hex value table:

Spoiler

20= 
21=!
22="
23=#
24=$
25=%
26=&
27='
28=(
29=)
2A=*
2B=+
2C=,
2D=-
2E=.
2F=/
30=0
31=1
32=2
33=3
34=4
35=5
36=6
37=7
38=8
39=9
3A=:
3B=;
3C=<
3D==
3E=>
3F=?
40=@
41=A
42=B
43=C
44=D
45=E
46=F
47=G
48=H
49=I
4A=J
4B=K
4C=L
4D=M
4E=N
4F=O
50=P
51=Q
52=R
53=S
54=T
55=U
56=V
57=W
58=X
59=Y
5A=Z
5B=[
5C=・
5D=]
5E=^
60=`
61=a
62=b
63=c
64=d
65=e
66=f
67=g
68=h
69=i
6A=j
6B=k
6C=l
6D=m
6E=n
6F=o
70=p
71=q
72=r
73=s
74=t
75=u
76=v
77=w
78=x
79=y
7A=z
7B={
7C=|
7D=}
7E=ッ
a6=を
a7=ぁ
a8=ぃ
a9=ぅ
aa=ぇ
ab=ぉ
ac=ゃ
ad=ゅ
ae=ょ
af=っ
b0=ー
b1=あ
b2=い
b3=う
b4=え
b5=お
b6=か
b7=き
b8=く
b9=け
ba=こ
bb=さ
bc=し
bd=す
be=せ
bf=そ
c0=た
c1=ち
c2=つ
c3=て
c4=と
c5=な
c6=に
c7=ぬ
c8=ね
c9=の
ca=は
cb=ひ
cc=ふ
cd=へ
ce=ほ
cf=ま
d0=み
d1=む
d2=め
d3=も
d4=や
d5=ゆ
d6=よ
d7=ら
d8=り
d9=る
da=れ
db=ろ
dc=わ
dd=ん
f88b=タ
f8e3=ず
f93a=ャ
f93b=ア
f93c=ィ
f93d=イ
f93e=ゥ
f93f=ウ
f940=ェ
f941=エ
f942=ォ
f943=オ
f944=カ
f945=ガ
f946=キ
f947=ギ
f948=ク
f949=グ
f94a=ケ
f94b=ゲ
f94c=コ
f94d=ゴ
f94e=サ
f94f=ザ
f950=シ
f951=ジ
f952=ス
f953=ズ
f954=セ
f955=ゼ
f956=ソ
f957=ゾ
f958=タ
f959=ダ
f95a=チ
f95b=ヂ
f95c=ッ
f95d=ツ
f95e=ヅ
f95f=テ
f960=デ
f961=ト
f962=ド
f963=ナ
f964=ニ
f965=ヌ
f966=ネ
f967=ノ
f968=ハ
f969=バ
f96a=パ
f96b=ヒ
f96c=ビ
f96d=ピ
f96e=フ
f96f=ブ
f970=プ
f971=ヘ
f972=ベ
f973=ペ
f974=ホ
f975=ボ
f976=ポ
f977=マ
f978=ミ
f979=ム    
f97a=メ
f97b=モ
f97c=ャ
f97d=ヤ
f97e=ュ
f97f=ユ
f980=ョ
f981=ヨ
f982=ラ
f983=リ
f984=ル
f985=レ
f986=ロ
f987=ワ
f988=ヲ
f989=ン
f98a=ヴ
f98b=ヶ

I was a bit upset because I couldn't find スライム anywhere in the game but I'd fought one! The table only came together in the last few minutes so that might be my day gone now! More screenshots to come though. 

Edited by Tigermask
Table fixed
  • Like 1

I've fixed the thingy table in my previous post. I had a little wobble yesterday but I'm back on track, I've found the section where monsters and item names are stored now too. I'm probably going to focus on Extra mode to get the gameplay in English. I'll post again when I have something interesting to share!

• Like 2

Half-Life 3 was a PocketStation game only available in the Japanese version of Half-Life on PS2.

A little update. The pause menu is coming together now! This was from Wednesday this week but since then I've not had a chance to get time on it. Since then, this week has been pretty awful! I'm planning to book some time off next month and should be able to commit a couple of days and hopefully have a very early patch for Extra Mode. 

EfyxLEwWsAENugk.png

• Like 3
A little update. The pause menu is coming together now! This was from Wednesday this week but since then I've not had a chance to get time on it. Since then, this week has been pretty awful! I'm planning to book some time off next month and should be able to commit a couple of days and hopefully have a very early patch for Extra Mode. 
EfyxLEwWsAENugk.png.12cb875d3f9b460e1d40912170c27493.png
That's awesome! Keep up the amazing work.
  • Like 1

Thank you for the feedback so far! Work has been crazy the last couple of weeks so my progress has been slow and steady, mostly chipping away at item and monster names but most days I can't bear to look at my laptop for another second. We've got a long weekend in the UK, I essentially wasted yesterday on DQ5 and sleeping but today and tomorrow are looking better. I'd like to translate the text that pops up in battle, the space for characters seems VERY limited here so I might need to get creative with what pops up.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Thank you for the feedback so far! Work has been crazy the last couple of weeks so my progress has been slow and steady, mostly chipping away at item and monster names but most days I can't bear to look at my laptop for another second. We've got a long weekend in the UK, I essentially wasted yesterday on DQ5 and sleeping but today and tomorrow are looking better. I'd like to translate the text that pops up in battle, the space for characters seems VERY limited here so I might need to get creative with what pops up.
How goes it!?
  • Like 1
How goes it!?
Slow and steady but I've made some progress on the dungeon text. This has been one of the tougher aspects, so I've focused on that. Also, I thought this part would allow me to release something playable sooner (Not so much of the story though!). Hopefully having a playable early release in the next couple of months!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Nothing exciting to share this week. Huge issues in work and so I've not had much a of a chance to do anything other than a couple more menu items >.<

• Like 1
Nothing exciting to share this week. Huge issues in work and so I've not had much a of a chance to do anything other than a couple more menu items >.
  • Like 1