Plattym3

GBA RPGs...?

Tangentially related then, I'm playing the Friends of Mineral town remake on Switch. Bringing back a lot of teenhood memories.
I keep saying I'm not interested in Harvest Moon games anymore because I love the battling in Rune Factory, Stardew Valley, and Graveyard Keeper on top of those other elements. But let's be honest: STV & GK's "battles" are like LoZ1 for the NES and make up like 2% of gameplay. I need to just face the music and play the originals.

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

I cannot fathom that scene at all. I had a few GBC games back in the day, but since the DS came out, I had my G6 card and just emulated all stuff pre-DS on that. And now I do it on my Vita. Then again, I only want new games physical to resell them after I win, and only want to emulate old stuff. It's an odd duology, but I don't keep old hardware. I recently picked up an old Wii, but other than that, I have my 2013 3DS and newer.

You’re just like my brother. Before things like Spotify, he’d swipe music off Napster or buy music off obscure Russian music sites that sell songs for pennies. If he owns any sort of media physically, he throws out the case, takes the disc, and puts it in one of those CD wallets.

Edited by eal
  • Like 1

I keep saying I'm not interested in Harvest Moon games anymore because I love the battling in Rune Factory, Stardew Valley, and Graveyard Keeper on top of those other elements. But let's be honest: STV & GK's "battles" are like LoZ1 for the NES and make up like 2% of gameplay. I need to just face the music and play the originals.
It's hard to go back after Stardew honestly. That game perfected the genre, imo. It took the best elements of every Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons game and put them into one. If I had to recommend one to start with it would be either Friends of Mineral Town/More Friends of Mineral Town for the GBA or A Wonderful Life for the Gamecube. I started with HM 64 so it will always be my personal fave. I think it can be sort of grindy in retrospect, though. The Natsume translations are...poor however. And buggy. This new XSeed remake of Friends of Mineral Town is fantastic though in terms of localization.

But yeah, don't expect it to be as good as Stardew.

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

I cannot fathom that scene at all. I had a few GBC games back in the day, but since the DS came out, I had my G6 card and just emulated all stuff pre-DS on that. And now I do it on my Vita. Then again, I only want new games physical to resell them after I win, and only want to emulate old stuff. It's an odd duology, but I don't keep old hardware. I recently picked up an old Wii, but other than that, I have my 2013 3DS and newer.

Anyway, back to GBA. Now 6 hours into Mega Man Battle Network. I feel like I spent 3 hours last night fixing the water system in town. Two bosses and things to fix there. Whew. I think I need to start exploiting savestates more because I go round and round and round in maps so so much. I'm not a fan of puzzles in RPGs that run simultaneously with random battles. I'm fine with both, just not together.

Let me know what you end up thinking about the Battle Network Series Overall. 

Wouldn't mind trying it out if you've got good things to say. 

I quite like the battle system. It's I guess real time tactical with pauses to select some attacks. But you're on a 3x3 grid & the enemy has their 3x3 so it's pretty simple. Once I spent 10 minutes really selecting the attacks I liked best and setting up my pool of them, it's worked out better. But man I save every 3 minutes haha. I should finish it by next week unless I keep getting lost in the mazes.

2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
3 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

I quite like the battle system. It's I guess real time tactical with pauses to select some attacks. But you're on a 3x3 grid & the enemy has their 3x3 so it's pretty simple. Once I spent 10 minutes really selecting the attacks I liked best and setting up my pool of them, it's worked out better. But man I save every 3 minutes haha. I should finish it by next week unless I keep getting lost in the mazes.

Does it have a save anywhere feature?

Yes. Very nice.

20 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
20 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

Yes. Very nice.

One of the most important features in a mobile game!

• Like 1

So the penultimate dungeon made me want to rage. It's a maze like the others, but half the paths are invisible and then you need to put batteries (which can run out of charge) into specific (but unknown) slots to activate areas to move on. All while you have random encounters. I loaded up a website to use maps and it still took over an hour and I still died in a battle, losing a floor of progress. Heck, the battles are getting harder, but I've done OK strategy-wise. Really enjoy the system, but don't think I'll go past this first game as I don't enjoy the level design at all.

Besides I got Grandia Parallel Trippers to restart and a new game for review to begin.

And with the school year starting for me Wednesday and my wife's new job... no more 3-4 hours/night of gaming for me.

Done. And literally not a moment too soon. Right in the middle of the post-victory celebration my Vita's battery emptied. Haha. Charging it now to finish the ending credits and such. Funny it died right then too. Also, kinda humorous the way I had to finish, being a virtual world and such in-game and viruses and whatnot. Started the game up tonight and the first place I go... glitch. Black screen of death. Google the issue and it's an emulator issue. Had to plug the Vita into the PC, fine the save file, transfer it to the PC, use Virtual Boy to play on the PC a bit, get past the glitch. Transfer files back to the Vita... needless to say the technical issues tonight were of equal difficulty as the gameplay! 4942852fca3f0b5d7e49f5472391b416.jpg38e80fae1c2ccc821cc6cfbb6718257d.jpg16313323ebe75a98920e9bb103dab915.jpg

I didn't really recall Torneko had a GBA version.

21 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

I didn't really recall Torneko had a GBA version. emoji848.png

Do that thing where you made a link appear for a fan translation of a GBA game. Please. 

25 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

Do that thing where you made a link appear for a fan translation of a GBA game. Please. 

Haha, I wish. I see there were efforts that didn't come to fruition. Heck, there are 2 GBA titles. It appears #2 was a GBA port of the PS1 game we got and #3 was a GBA port of the PS2 game we didn't.

4 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Haha, I wish. I see there were efforts that didn't come to fruition. Heck, there are 2 GBA titles. It appears #2 was a GBA port of the PS1 game we got and #3 was a GBA port of the PS2 game we didn't.

Gosh darn it. 

Actually started up #3 on GBA last night. Beat the first dungeon. Saved the game & went to shut the emulator and it froze my Vita hard. Today I noticed someone mention possibility translating a GBA game, so maybe I'll just set that aside...

On 8/9/2020 at 7:34 AM, Plattym3 said:
On 8/4/2020 at 12:20 PM, Plattym3 said:

it froze my Vita hard. 

Like....turned it into a brick?

Or you had to do a hard reboot?

3 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

Like....turned it into a brick?

Or you had to do a hard reboot?

I couldn't hard reboot for a while. I thought I was going to have to wait until the battery drained. Seriously, I held the power button down for almost 2 minutes straight, nothing!  Finally on the 3rd or 4th attempt doing that, it finally shut down.  First time in dozens of times using RetroArch it ever acted that way.

21 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

I couldn't hard reboot for a while. I thought I was going to have to wait until the battery drained. Seriously, I held the power button down for almost 2 minutes straight, nothing!  Finally on the 3rd or 4th attempt doing that, it finally shut down.  First time in dozens of times using RetroArch it ever acted that way.

I think I remember that happening on my PSP just playing a simple UMD game. 

I can't remember if I took the battery out to restart it or not. 

• Like 1

To anyone that has a GameBoy Micro, what’s your opinion of it? I’m considering getting one next month.

On 7/26/2020 at 10:31 AM, Plattym3 said:

With my wife and kids hogging the Switch more and more I've really enjoyed delving into the older games on my Vita. When the guy modded it, he put full catalogs of GB, GBC, GBA, and other Retro consoles on it. I've just been scrolling through after finishing PTCG2...

I've heard TONS of good stuff about the Megaman Battle Network games on various podcasts over the years, but haven't played any. Anyone here ever do so?

*Wesley appears to save the day*

I'm a Nintendo retro gamer at heart, so I play a lot of SNES, GBC, GBA, and DS.

Megaman Battle Network is one of my favorite GBA games. Specifically, I love MMBN2, and MMBN6. Ideally, you should probably start with the first one, because there's a pretty big spoiler at the end of it. Following the story is part of the fun, because there is character development for quite a few characters in the series.

Another great GBA RPG is Summon Knight Swordcraft.

And as long as you have the GBC catalog, check out Magi-Nation.

On 7/26/2020 at 11:09 AM, Plattym3 said:

Gave Battle Network 1 a try for an hour this morning and like the battle system.

The second game makes chip selection a lot easier. If you select a chip, it emphasizes the other chips that can be selected with it.

The series is great because of Program Advances, combos, etc... I particularly like MMBN2 because it has "gospel duping", so you can get multiple copies of a one-of-a-kind chips

Edited by Wes

Thanks@Wes , I finished the first mmbn last month. Really enjoyed it and we talked about it on the 2nd Slime Time Sidequest episode. Thanks for the other recommendation!