AlefgardHero

My DQ11S experience... So far.

I'll start by how/when I got the game, the story of which is longer than it is interesting, then go from there.

I beat DQ11 on PS4 in January of this year. I had it since launch but I usually play big rpg's in chunks over a year or two. (I think it took me 2.5 years or so to beat DQ8.) So I wasn't in a hurry to get DQ11S until a price break.

Come February, my fitbit's Best Buy Geek Sqaud protection was almost running out and the battery was crappy so I took it in. Now, I know I didn't pay more than 70 or 80 bucks for that fitbit but for some reason when they brought it up in their system it gave me $150 credit... Ok. I picked out the almost smart watch one as a replacement and then they gave me a $30 gift card for the difference. At the time DQ11S had it's first sale to $50 and I had Best Buy points to use. I walked out paying 16 smackers for DQ11S and a new watch!

Now, since it had only been the month previous that I beat DQ11 on PS4 I wasn't too hyped to play through again so soon. I started the game and decided since I had already played through in 3D I'd only play 11S in 2D mode. It was cool seeing it on the big screen but by the time I got to Hotto I was kinda meh.

Jumping ahead to May, with the quarantine going strong and my 4 boys and I trying to work out how to get them motivated to stay on task I promised Switch Lites to anyone that finished with a B average. (Yes it was going that poorly.)

Welp, my youngest did good but his 2DS was trying to die and I had already cobbled it together out of hand-me-downs from the oldest two, so once I was able to get one he got a new 2DSXL.

My third oldest squeaked by when we found out he hadn't turned anything in, stuff he had done just not submitted, for two weeks, two days before the end of school. That kid is smart and a total fact sponge but zero situational awareness. He got a yellow Switch Lite with a shiny Arbok sticker on the back.

Now the oldest two... Such high hopes. They are both in HS and are best friends. They essentially failed 50% of their classes. They already struggle with school and the quarantine did not help. For not being blood related you can definitely tell they are brothers. I had a blue SL if one of them made it...

So the blue SL had been sitting around for almost 3 months unopened and I decided it's mine. I can take it to work and leave the big Switch for them to play Smash and the family island (Xadia) on Animal Crossing during the Summer.

Istarted playing DQ11S again and I gotta say that playing 2D in handheld mode on the smaller SL is making me love the game. Idk if it's the fact that I've played so many hours of DQ games on a handheld or what, it just seems to fit better. Playing during lunch and on breaks at work and sometimes turning it on over the weekends has got me to Gondolia and I'm going to keep going.

I'm a big fan of the more traditional DQ turn-based gameplay in 2D vs the FF "wait" style of the 3D mode. I've never been one to cry about random encounters either, so that's been fine with me. Erdrea also feels bigger in 2D, playing through on the PS4 some times it seemed I was in a hallway. Having the orchestral soundtrack in 2D mode is funny to me, I guess my nostalgia expects more beeps and boops. The most bummer thing so far is the the fact that the horse race is still 3D only.

If you've made it this far, thank you for reading my ramblings and I hope to update here with some of my thoughts as I play through.

• Like 2

I put about 25 hours into the 2D version when I was losing steam. A buddy borrowed around November and still has it. I don't think he's ever going to beat it. Haha, with all my GBC and GBAing going on, if I get it back from him this fall, I might be ready to do this!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

I put about 25 hours into the 2D version when I was losing steam. A buddy borrowed around November and still has it. I don't think he's ever going to beat it. Haha, with all my GBC and GBAing going on, if I get it back from him this fall, I might be ready to do this!

Yeah, Lord knows how far I will actually make it before setting down for a while again, but as of right now it's still feeling fresh.

19 hours ago, AlefgardHero said:

Yeah, Lord knows how far I will actually make it before setting down for a while again, but as of right now it's still feeling fresh.

I think I rolled into it within a month or two of finishing the PS4 version. 

Luckily, I kinda powered through the PS4 version (70 hours or so), so there was plenty left undone. 

I did a slow, fun, methodical playthrough of the Switch version and had an absolute blast. 

• Like 2

It's not just you--I feel the same way about 2D mode. Something about about playing Dragon Quest in handheld...it simply fits.

This may be an unpopular opinion but I personally feel the 2D mode of DQ11 is the best of the two modes--and I've now beaten it on both.

Plus, if you play Switch Versions of DQ I, II, III and 2D Mode of DQ11 then you're getting the entire Erdrick Saga in the same basic DQVI graphical style, allowing for the continuity to feel more cohesive.

Dragon Quest is also one of the few mobile ports I actually enjoy playing on a phone. It just seems as if Dragon Quest was tailor-made for the small screen.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega said:

Plus, if you play Switch Versions of DQ I, II, III and 2D Mode of DQ11 then you're getting the entire Erdrick Saga in the same basic DQVI graphical style, allowing for the continuity to feel more cohesive.

I have all three on Switch. (I have beaten one a couple of times, started two, and actually have a pretty good story of beating 3 with my friend in MN, on Switch.) You're right, it does give it some feeling of continuity, even though I am kinda sad at the character models used in the remakes of 1,2,3. Especially going to Tickington.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AlefgardHero said:

I have all three on Switch. (I have beaten one a couple of times, started two, and actually have a pretty good story of beating 3 with my friend in MN, on Switch.) You're right, it does give it some feeling of continuity, even though I am kinda sad at the character models used in the remakes of 1,2,3. Especially going to Tickington.

Agreed. While I don't hate the models (they're actually rather well done), I'd prefer the good old pixels and sprites. It's better for continuity and, in my opinion, looks better.

At least the land/object sprites at the same. Same basic mountain ranges, grasslands, sea, etc.

Plus, in my head-canon, I like to pretend Erdrea is a Pangaea version of the Earth-like world from DQIII. I even think of Hotto as an ancient version of Jipang/Zipangu from DQIII.

On thing about the 2D mode of DQXI--I wish the day/night cycles were changed to match the cycle of DQIII/IV and V for consistency.

• Like 1

Agreed. While I don't hate the models (they're actually rather well done), I'd prefer the good old pixels and sprites. It's better for continuity and, in my opinion, looks better.
At least the land/object sprites at the same. Same basic mountain ranges, grasslands, sea, etc.
Plus, in my head-canon, I like to pretend Erdrea is a Pangaea version of the Earth-like world from DQIII. I even think of Hotto as an ancient version of Jipang/Zipangu from DQIII.
On thing about the 2D mode of DQXI--I wish the day/night cycles were changed to match the cycle of DQIII/IV and V for consistency.
How are they different? I seem to remember them moving quite quickly in DQXI 2D, but it's been 9+ months.
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
4 hours ago, ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega said:

How are they different? I seem to remember them moving quite quickly in DQXI 2D, but it's been 9+ months.

It's slower. Much slower. It's difficult to explain and better to experience. You cover much more ground in DQXI without experiencing a lightning change as opposed to DQIII or IV. It's especially noticeable after resting at an inn. The sky maintains this early morning dark dawn sky look for far longer than the natural progression of the day for DQIII.

It's slower. Much slower. It's difficult to explain and better to experience. You cover much more ground in DQXI without experiencing a lightning change as opposed to DQIII or IV. It's especially noticeable after resting at an inn. The sky maintains this early morning dark dawn sky look for far longer than the natural progression of the day for DQIII.
Ok, that does seem familiar. Like when it's night, it's night forever!
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
57 minutes ago, ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega said:

Ok, that does seem familiar. Like when it's night, it's night forever!

Thank you. I couldn't think of a good way to word it. Like--it's dawn for FAR longer than it should be. That sort of thing.

Oddly enough, I've noticed that, if you goof around town for five minutes and then enter the map, you'll get a very sudden change of light when you move so time is possibly sped up while in town. Strange...

Edited by ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega
  • Like 1

On 7/27/2020 at 11:51 AM, ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega said:

It's not just you--I feel the same way about 2D mode. Something about about playing Dragon Quest in handheld...it simply fits.

This may be an unpopular opinion but I personally feel the 2D mode of DQ11 is the best of the two modes--and I've now beaten it on both.

Dragon Quest is also one of the few mobile ports I actually enjoy playing on a phone. It just seems as if Dragon Quest was tailor-made for the small screen.

That is the one thing I still need to do....a 2D playthrough. 

I don't think that'll happen for a year or two though. 

Anyone else distracted by this topic title? All I can see is DQXI Sexperience.

• Like 1

Anyone else distracted by this topic title? All I can see is DQXI Sexperience.
Never made the connection in the slightest and I'm a total perv.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Anyone else distracted by this topic title? All I can see is DQXI Sexperience. emoji8.png

Sylvando or Jade can help you with that, darling. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 2

Whew. Is it just me or is it getting a bit warm in this thread?

• Like 1

On 7/30/2020 at 4:55 PM, Plattym3 said:

Anyone else distracted by this topic title? All I can see is DQXI Sexperience. emoji8.png

Maybe I should move it to a different part of the Den! Hahahahahaha!!

Maybe I should move it to a different part of the Den! Hahahahahaha!!
Was it@Erdrick The Hero or@Liamland that wanted the rated R section years ago?

I created a DQ Adults Only PM, for a handful of "gentlemen," as New York City defines the term.

• Like 1

Not no, but Hell no.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Not no, but Hell no.

DQXI has time travel and a more complex narrative than before. Also everyone talks like they're from FFXV.

I started reading the novel "Trainspotting" which is written in this incoherent form a Scottish dialect.

I'm genuinely suprised that DQXI hasn't helped me comprehend it.

• Like 1

Does anyone else think that DQXI kinda feels like FF?
The ony thing, and I do mean "the only thing", that feels kinda like FF is the "wait" style battle system in 3D mode.
DQXI has time travel and a more complex narrative than before. Also everyone talks like they're from FFXV.
I haven't played FF15 but I did watch my son play through, what do you mean by this?

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, AlefgardHero said:

The ony thing, and I do mean "the only thing", that feels kinda like FF is the "wait" style battle system in 3D mode.I haven't played FF15 but I did watch my son play through, what do you mean by this?

Yeah whenever I see FFXV combat it reminds me of how the 4 party members in DQXI freely move around in battles and whatnot while staying close to the enemies. 

The voices and accents in DQXI instantly remind me of what I've heard of FFXV's VA.

I'd argue while DQXI's basic premise is simple, you run into a lot of things that make it feel slightly more complex and more akin to a FF game, although it obviously doesn't go deep enough to truly parallel FF.

Edited by DragonQuest2IsGood