Dragon Quest 11 Definitive Edition coming to Xbox and PS4.

6 minutes ago, ignasia said:

Why do you think Nintendo has allowed a lot of leaks and discussions of whatever the potential Switch Pro will be?  They know full well the current system can't handle the next generation of games.  They know they'll have to come up with a new system to keep the Switch going for 8 more years, as they planned to, when they said 10 years for the Switch 2 years ago.

The question becomes, do they wait out a new chipset?  How to handle the transition, as they notoriously bungled the New 3DS, just as they bungled the DSi, and in many respects, the same issues brought down the WiiU, which was really an overclocked Wii.

If a second Switch happens, I can only imagine the best way to handle it is to continue to mandate first-party games run on both versions while the new Switch capitalized on third-party support. I just can’t imagine Nintendo cares enough to want, say, Cyberpunk 2077 (to pull a random example), on their console. They seem happy with keeping it a port machine with new first-party games for another 5 years.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, I did it the first two times.    I think I'll pass on the third purchase  

That's by design. Squeenix pays for them to do that. Saw so many complaints about this when DQB2 came out. Squeenix only promoted the Sony port. Nintendo only promoted the Switch one. It's by design

Well I for one am glad I'll be able to play the Switch port on PS4, given I've neither played the original PS4 version, nore the Switch version. 😁 This way I won't be needing to buy a Switch to p

Whatever console Dragon Quest games land I'll pay that tax. I just hope they keep the quality consistent with the series I love. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

I understand all the points you made and agree with most but in NO way does XI S look better docked or undocked than Vanilla on Pro. Certain areas like inside the painting fighting Dora in Gray look fine but outside areas like Champ Sauvage look choppy even docked. 

I said I have a Lite.  It's 100% portable.  No docking available, or even allowed, as the chip that would allow for it is removed.

I will say, yes, it does look better.  The screen size is smaller, but the aspect ratio remains the same, so it squeezes pixels together, but quite evenly, and the resulting process gives the visual aesthetic more vibrancy and pop.  Some textures as a result, look drastically improved on the Lite versus the normal Switch, and the general scenery in some spots definitely are to me, superior on that small screen.  I would agree not all.  Shadows for one are horrendous on the Switch, in portable mode especially, so i'm forced to deal with these "fluid" water-like shadows that move around crazily and shift randomly.  The pop-ins are VERY noticeable, especially in Portable Mode or the Lite.  So there's that, and the general lack of foliage and grass does stand out.  Yet I would say the general textures are better, and I have less issue with texture switching on my Lite than on my PS4 Pro.  So if I I'm running up to a doorway, my Pro will take a second or two to change up from simple to middle to complex, while the Lite is usually already transitioned as I'm running up to the same door.

Other oddities do appear in the Switch, like lighting, where if I'm near a window in the Switch, the entire outside changes to the inside building lighting source, which never happens on PS4.  I'm really hoping that does not happen with this port, as it's jarring.  Especially when walking through doorways.  My PS4 lets me see the inside and outside lighting sources working in tandem. On my Lite, it changes from one source to the other, as it can only handle a single source at once in portable.

22 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Honestly, I couldn't care less about less about this newfangled HD graphics thing. Give me pixelated RPGs any day. Give me portability any day. My greatest 2 periods of RPG growth in my personal play history were (S)NES and 3(DS), so I'm fine with Nintendo Switch getting everything. This push for better and better graphics is absolutely rediculous. It makes games cost far more and development time take forever. It's a big reason why I don't care about AAA games. Give me all the Indie and classic stuff!

I don’t understand the big push for crazy high def graphics either. I’ve never been that picky about graphics, but since I grew up during the N64 era (and saw plenty of PS1 games at friend’s houses) that may have something to do with it. I just don’t think that should be the focus on the gaming experience.

• Like 1

And so far, I feel like Nintendo has been more aggressive in marketing Dragon Quest than Square Enix has (I hope that changes with Dragon Quest XII).

That's by design. Squeenix pays for them to do that.

Saw so many complaints about this when DQB2 came out. Squeenix only promoted the Sony port. Nintendo only promoted the Switch one. It's by design, not Squeenix ignoring the Nintendo stuff.
Whatever console Dragon Quest games land I'll pay that tax. I just hope they keep the quality consistent with the series I love. 
Oh, indeed. I can't recall a system I bought without being prompted by an upcoming DQ title.
  • Like 2
11 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I don’t understand the big push for crazy high def graphics either. I’ve never been that picky about graphics, but since I grew up during the N64 era (and saw plenty of PS1 games at friend’s houses) that may have something to do with it. I just don’t think that should be the focus on the gaming experience.

It's not so much the need for it to be the best of the best all the time, its just IMO DQ games have some of the best art and character design in any game, period. Largely to the bias of my love for Toriyama's art and the HD cell shaded aesthetic in HD/4K brings the world and characters to life more so than the 16 bit 32 bit era did, IMO.

Edited by Black Knight
1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

That's by design. Squeenix pays for them to do that.

Saw so many complaints about this when DQB2 came out. Squeenix only promoted the Sony port. Nintendo only promoted the Switch one. It's by design, not Squeenix ignoring the Nintendo stuff. Oh, indeed. I can't recall a system I bought without being prompted by an upcoming DQ title.

I don't think it's just that.

I remember when I was actively avoiding any Dragon Quest XI media to avoid getting spoiled (when I pre-ordered the Steam version), I didn't really come across any ads for Dragon Quest XI (except for maybe a couple of times).

I don't know if it's because I was actively searching for Dragon Quest XI S news since I've finished act 2 of Dragon Quest XI on Steam, but I remember seeing more people outside of the Dragon Quest fanbase talking about Dragon Quest XI S when Nintendo marketed Dragon Quest XI S than when Square Enix marketed Dragon Quest XI. And I think I remember seeing a good chunk of ads for Dragon Quest XI S all over social media.

• Like 1
On 8/1/2020 at 6:21 PM, Black Knight said:

Yup.

I don't have anything to really add to the conversation. Other then the fact that I hate myself for buying the same game on release day three different times in three years.

My heart skipped MANY beats when I saw Dragon Quest announcement on the day with Xbox presentation. I thought they'd be localizing DQ X but oh well... didn't happen x____x

On 7/25/2020 at 7:10 PM, Plattym3 said:

Besides a passing interest in Blue Dragon, I've never had interest in Xbox. Glad DQ is looking like a Nintendo/Sony dual release for a while. Hope DQ12 isn't just for PS5. I got some good use out of my PS4, but it's just not practical anymore. Kids ruin everything. Haha

I've been playing both Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey recently. If you still haven't played either, I suggest to play, they're very good. Though, I dropped both games x_x Blue Dragon is fun and has really good gameplay, very creative and embraces its turn-based combat, quirkiness... but it gets kind of repetitive and pointless quickly, at least to me. Lost Odyssey was the same - I liked it so much at first then just kept loosing interest. Played both games for about 11-12 hours and stopped.

If there was at least one more exclusive game I wanted on Xbox or if Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey were ported to PC (why aren't they ported yet x_x), I'd most likely finish them but uh... I don't know. 

On 8/4/2020 at 1:07 AM, Twinkie said:

I don't have anything to really add to the conversation. Other then the fact that I hate myself for buying the same game on release day three different times in three years.

Why hate?? DQ deserves support, there's nothing like it :) Same goes for games like Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts. These are magical experiences and unlike anything else. They deserve as much support as possible! ^_^

And if that will make you feel better... I'll tell you something that happened to me back in March when I was playing Final Fantasy XIV Online extensively. If you don't know, the game has a housing system where you can buy an apartment or house inside the game and decorate it, make it look good. So, they sell various items on the SE shop for the game and well, I spent a ton of money getting Moogle plushies, Chocobo plushies as in-game items XD And honestly, I don't regret it, they look fantastic 😛 But why I mention it is that I spent about 50$ on some items which... I couldn't use. I haven't read the description and purchased a few snowmen during Christmas event and they ended up being limited to houses when I live in an apartment... It wouldn't have been a big deal if you could get a house in FF XIV but it's just incredibly difficult to get one, and even if you do - you need to constantly log into the game or it will be gone in ... 30 days, I think? Not sure if the stuff you buy and put in that house gets recycled if you loose the house.

But yeah, ended up spending 50$ on nothing because I didn't read the description XD 

Edited by ShonenKokoro
5 hours ago, ShonenKokoro said:

Why hate?? DQ deserves support, there's nothing like it :) Same goes for games like Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts. These are magical experiences and unlike anything else. They deserve as much support as possible! ^_^

And if that will make you feel better... I'll tell you something that happened to me back in March when I was playing Final Fantasy XIV Online extensively. If you don't know, the game has a housing system where you can buy an apartment or house inside the game and decorate it, make it look good. So, they sell various items on the SE shop for the game and well, I spent a ton of money getting Moogle plushies, Chocobo plushies as in-game items XD And honestly, I don't regret it, they look fantastic 😛 But why I mention it is that I spent about 50$ on some items which... I couldn't use. I haven't read the description and purchased a few snowmen during Christmas event and they ended up being limited to houses when I live in an apartment... It wouldn't have been a big deal if you could get a house in FF XIV but it's just incredibly difficult to get one, and even if you do - you need to constantly log into the game or it will be gone in ... 30 days, I think? Not sure if the stuff you buy and put in that house gets recycled if you loose the house.

But yeah, ended up spending 50$ on nothing because I didn't read the description XD 

I am only half joking on it lol. I am actually pretty excited for the release. I have nothing against the Switch version, but I would just rather play the game on more powerful hardware.

On 8/5/2020 at 3:45 PM, Twinkie said:

I am only half joking on it lol. I am actually pretty excited for the release. I have nothing against the Switch version, but I would just rather play the game on more powerful hardware.

Yeah, I did it the first two times. 

I think I'll pass on the third purchase :) 

• Like 2