Slimeknight

Dragon Quest 11 Definitive Edition coming to Xbox and PS4.

An Xbox draws near!

• Like 2

A Dragon Quest on Xbox is definitely a sign of the end times.
It's why it took 2020 to make it happen.
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
On 7/23/2020 at 3:24 PM, Slimeknight said:
A Dragon Quest on Xbox is definitely a sign of the end times.

It's why it took 2020 to make it happen.

Microsoft has the most busted view on how to get people to buy their console. Instead of top notch first party support, they pay for games to come to Xbox exclusively for about a year. While they did try to get exclusive JRPGs to court that audience to their gamer bro console during the 360 era, a lot of the better ones ended up on PS3 a year later, aside from Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon and a couple other random games.

Microsoft has the most busted view on how to get people to buy their console. Instead of top notch first party support, they pay for games to come to Xbox exclusively for about a year. While they did try to get exclusive JRPGs to court that audience to their gamer bro console during the 360 era, a lot of the better ones ended up on PS3 a year later, aside from Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon and a couple other random games.
They're blending PC & Xbox a ton. Seem to work on becoming a service, not necessarily a console maker.

57 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
59 minutes ago, eal said:

They're blending PC & Xbox a ton. Seem to work on becoming a service, not necessarily a console maker.

I was actually pretty confident that they would be abandoning the console market entirely after the XBone. At least that was the impression I was getting with that handful of games that were originally Xbox exclusives being made available on the Switch, every game that comes to Xbox also being available on PC, and the introduction of services such as Game Pass, which are also available on PC.

• Like 1

I think Microsoft is making the right move here. It's actually kind of going back to what the roots of the OG Xbox were supposed to be.

Besides a passing interest in Blue Dragon, I've never had interest in Xbox. Glad DQ is looking like a Nintendo/Sony dual release for a while. Hope DQ12 isn't just for PS5. I got some good use out of my PS4, but it's just not practical anymore. Kids ruin everything. Haha

Well I for one am glad I'll be able to play the Switch port on PS4, given I've neither played the original PS4 version, nore the Switch version. 😁

This way I won't be needing to buy a Switch to play. ^^

• Like 2

I have only a passing interest in Xbox. I bought an Xbox One while it was on sale for, gee, $225? I wanted to play some 360 games but I really don’t like the idea of buying used consoles. I mostly use it to play Alan Wake, but I also have the Mistwalker Xbox 360 exclusives, including Blue Dragon. I have a small handful of Xbox One games as well, but only two exclusives. Unfortunately, Microsoft didn’t have the first party support it needed this generation.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, eal said:

Indeed, MS also foolishly didn't push to follow up on either Blue Dragon or Lost Odyssey.

Blue Dragon had a much larger following in Japan, but a fairly decent following in the US.  The original game was FAR superior to the DS games that came later, which, despite being action RPG's, lacked the complexity of the original in terms of gameplay.  Though the stories were superior, and had they been translated to the original game format, would have built a larger audience in the West especially, addressing the most glaring issues with the cast (the annoying children and their VO's).

Lost Odyssey was still popular enough in Japan, and may have helped sell the console a bit, but it garnered a LOT of support from FF fans who felt FF strayed too far from its roots with FF13 (and for quite a few at the time, FF12 as well, though that's far less an issue now, especially given how many people have expressed love of Zodiac Age's changes and additions).  There was a LOT to build on, and the sales in the West were nothing to scoff at.  Tales games, even today, sell below Lost Odyssey.

MS also dropped the ball on several exclusives they planned for the Xbox One, and even one that was initially slated as a late 360 release, went into the One's period, and 3 years later they dropped all funding.  So obviously the studio screwed up, but MS failed to push for a concrete direction, and to release at least a base product.  I think there were two such games, though while I paid attention at the time, I can't recall their names.

So even when they DO shell out for real exclusives, they don't either maintain funding, or assure good project managers take over with some experience.

====

That said, this is a good start at least in terms of pushing the idea of potential JRPG's on the Xbox Series X.  Xbox One ran into problems, and still has problems, with the porting job of Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey.  There are a surprising number of topics, especially on the Lost Odyssey board of game breaking bugs on that version, lost/corrupted save data, etc.

So maybe if they spent ample money fixing those issues as well for the Series X to play them, that would help ingratiate themselves with JRPG players.

Though it would have behooved them to push for another Mistwalker game, where instead of going to Apple, Fantasian would go to the Series X.  I mean I'm really enticed by Fantasian, and the idea of hand-drawn 3D modeled backgrounds...old school style playstation FF prerenders that look pretty.

Edited by ignasia

3 hours ago, eal said:

I have only a passing interest in Xbox. I bought an Xbox One while it was on sale for, gee, $225? I wanted to play some 360 games but I really don’t like the idea of buying used consoles. I mostly use it to play Alan Wake, but I also have the Mistwalker Xbox 360 exclusives, including Blue Dragon. I have a small handful of Xbox One games as well, but only two exclusives. Unfortunately, Microsoft didn’t have the first party support it needed this generation.

I hope you have the physical copies of Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey.  The digital download version is where the issues seem to lay.

10 hours ago, ignasia said:

I hope you have the physical copies of Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey.  The digital download version is where the issues seem to lay.

I have a digital versions but they literally cost me $5 each during a sale so if it it comes down to it I can find the discs on eBay or something for $10. I couldn’t find any complaints about the digital version when I did a cursory Google search.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eal said:

I have a digital versions but they literally cost me $5 each during a sale so if it it comes down to it I can find the discs on eBay or something for $10. I couldn’t find any complaints about the digital version when I did a cursory Google search.

I'm going back and reading over the gameFAQs forums.  If you haven't experienced problems already with the digital versions, then the chances of you experiencing them later is virtually nill.  It seems to be either it's always buggy or not.  So probably an install issue that just happens to be an Xbox One issue...probably because it's just the system most people are downloading the game on.

I had forgotten one glaring issue with the disc copy of LO.  The 4th disc, if it comes in a paper sleeve, has issues playing as the paper used is to rough and creates smudge marks that the laser has difficulty penetrating, rendering the game uncompletable.  Oddly, if you install it, while Disc 4 might take awhile, you'll be fine (assuming it does install).

This is a bug inherent to all versions of Lost Odyssey, on any system:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/928334-lost-odyssey/78850113

Lost Odyssey, digital buggy:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/928334-lost-odyssey/78766182

Blue Dragon, seems to be either digital or physical, sound glitch, so specific to the Xbox One if it does trigger:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/927950-blue-dragon/78584542

It's nowhere near as many as I thought I read.  I guess I was really tired when I did.  Sorry about any confusion.  Just ignore me I guess.  I haven't had more than 3~5 hours of sleep a night since mid-March.

• Like 1

Meh, happens to all of us. We read a bit of information somewhere years ago and if we never see contradictory information, it just becomes gospel.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

What are the chances this port is PS4 PRO enhanced like vanilla? I believe I read somewhere that it will have better resolution and FPS on PC, PS4, XBOX and am hopeful that extends to 4K enhancements as well? Vanilla on the PRO is one of the best looking games for the PS4 IMO.

Edited by Black Knight

That feeling... Is this... Regret? I had high hopes of this version coming to PC as a cheaper DLC pack or having it replace vanilla at no cost (no, I am not actually that naive, just a bit of an optimist). If I was trying to buy the whole enchilada at full price a second time I would have just got the Switch version. On one hand, I would like to purchase this on release day to show support for the series... On the other, if I wait long enough, it will go on sale. What a pain.

8 hours ago, Black Knight said:

What are the chances this port is PS4 PRO enhanced like vanilla? I believe I read somewhere that it will have better resolution and FPS on PC, PS4, XBOX and am hopeful that extends to 4K enhancements as well? Vanilla on the PRO is one of the best looking games for the PS4 IMO.

Apparently it's using the low detail Switch assets on all platforms.

8 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Apparently it's using the low detail Switch assets on all platforms. If this is true, I might buy the XBox One version. I don't usually play games on XBox but I would do my next DQXI run on XBox One as thanks to Armour Project, Square Enix, and Microsoft thanks for finally getting together and putting DQ on the platform. Wish they would have done so last generation when I had a 360, but better late than never.

If they do end up using the original PS4/PC assets for the ports I'll be going with the PC version again, since I don't have an XBox One X.

On one hand, I would like to purchase this on release day to show support for the series...

See, I'm the opposite. I'd prefer not to buy this at all. I don't support them releasing the same game 3 years running and keep saying they're bringing new DQ to the west. No, they're being lazy and releasing the game 3 times. Calling a spade a spade with this one.
  • Like 1

See, I'm the opposite. I'd prefer not to buy this at all. I don't support them releasing the same game 3 years running and keep saying they're bringing new DQ to the west. No, they're being lazy and releasing the game 3 times. Calling a spade a spade with this one.

I'm of two minds. I agree with you and don't want to reward milking the same game.

However non Switch owners have been asking for this ever since XIS came out. It's inarguable a good thing that other platforms are getting this content. I haven't decided if I'm getting it day 1. At the very least, once the modding scene for it starts I will get it on PC.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'm of two minds. I agree with you and don't want to reward milking the same game. 

However non Switch owners have been asking for this ever since XIS came out. It's inarguable a good thing that other platforms are getting this content. I haven't decided if I'm getting it day 1. At the very least, once the modding scene for it starts I will get it on PC.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yeah. Happy for PS4 & PC people. Xbox people are devil-spawn so forget them. But, what the hell is going on with the series. I mean, Japan isn't even getting anything new. Did they get anything new in 2019 other than XI S? Builders 2 came out 18/19ish there. What the heck is going on over there? This black hole of unique content began long before someone ate a bat in China.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

It is lazy, as the group they're using is clearly small, clearly cheap, has limited experience and confidence in carrying over PS4 assets, so Switch is easier, and the attempts to upgrade the Switch graphics (even adding more details back into rocks and whatnot), is also indicative of limited skill and experience.

However, this wasn't something anyone ever expected.  All the DQ teams are booked up.  The cost for a 3rd party to handle this that has a competent size was too high for SE to consider in terms of potential risk of not being able to carry over assets when the Switch was built from the ground up (something Digital Foundry pointed out), and potential issues with additions and changes to map data, tracking, etc.  was obviously too high to warrant the cost.

This sort of release is meant to be more pure profit to help augment development costs, and unfortunately large developers cannot function without them in the interim.  It's also one of those situations where if they released too late, it would have less impact, as too much time would go by in the West with press about DQ, and Westerners have very short attention spans, and given Gamepass, they aren't interested in just DQ fans who have yet to purchase DQ11 (or those who want another copy of the DE on a different system).

• DQ Dai has 3 games
  • DQ 12
  • DQ M: Erik + Mia is in extended rebuild, but still ongoing
  • DQ Builders 3 has been teased not long ago, asking for fans to start talking about it.  Of the two new offshoots, this is the one with mostly SE staffers and some Omega Force staffers.
  • DQ Heroes 3 is also likely being developed behind the scenes
  • SE's other teams are booked solid as well, and they have at least 5 AAA games, the most in development at one time since the merger, including FF7r2 and almost certainly FF16 quietly, behind the scenes (given statements made about corporate happiness over 15's success, and several job postings on the heels of FF15 hitting 5m WW sales, for "a longstanding world wide popular rpg series" that wouldn't fit KH as that team was already solid, and DQ isn't that popular WW...yet, but they're growing, slowly, but growing).

So they need to fill in those gaps in terms of constant streams of revenue, and unfortunately, and fortunately at the same time, DQ is now considered prominent enough WW to be given the FF and KH port treatment.  Though DQ already pulled this with DQ's 1~3 on iOS/Droid -> 3DS/PS4/Switch (the original mobile of 3 being a demake makes sense).  Technically we can see this acceptance of cheap/lazy porting with DQ4 DS (and I mean Japan as well, as it's almost a verbatim copy.  DQ6 DS for removing a lot of content, and adding almost nothing, but doing heavy rebalancing and tweaks (most of which were bad choices to speed up the playthrough, but destroying the balance and rebalance attempts in the process).

So this was already in the works.  It's a huge series with a lot of releases, Horii initially liked to check up on every new and rerelease, but I get the impression he isn't concerned with that anymore, and given his age, probably just focuses on the new games, and somewhat on the remakes.  Preferring to allow ports just for general accessibility, and trusting in SE to handle "quality control," that is less than stellar, and going downhill with each release.

The other positive with this is the time they have to get this out is clearly for improving graphics.  Probably due to the experience of the team, as the Switch actually looks better, even if there are obvious added lighting elements, reflections, and slightly upgraded textures.  So I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but while it's sad, and poor form, it's much more likely this was either going to be done this way, or not at all (as the cost to potential profit margin was deemed too risky).

On the positive side, this type of release does assure games like DQ12 get extended development periods, as investors aren't panicking and management demanding untennable deadlines or cancelling projects too early.

My purchase of this also helps assure a higher general perception of popularity, both for SE (which isn't quite an accurate picture), but also for the public in general if the total DQ11 number can be touted as particularly high (say 6+m), which IS positive for general public perception that DQ is worth investing in, despite general sentiments of walking through the dark forest on the yellow brick road, and facing the dreaded "tradition, not-Goku, and turn-based," oh my.

Edited by ignasia

It is lazy, as the group they're using is clearly small, clearly cheap, has limited experience and confidence in carrying over PS4 assets, so Switch is easier, and the attempts to upgrade the Switch graphics (even adding more details back into rocks and whatnot), is also indicative of limited skill and experience.
However, this wasn't something anyone ever expected.  All the DQ teams are booked up.  The cost for a 3rd party to handle this that has a competent size was too high for SE to consider in terms of potential risk of not being able to carry over assets when the Switch was built from the ground up (something Digital Foundry pointed out), and potential issues with additions and changes to map data, tracking, etc.  was obviously too high to warrant the cost.
This sort of release is meant to be more pure profit to help augment development costs, and unfortunately large developers cannot function without them in the interim.  It's also one of those situations where if they released too late, it would have less impact, as too much time would go by in the West with press about DQ, and Westerners have very short attention spans, and given Gamepass, they aren't interested in just DQ fans who have yet to purchase DQ11 (or those who want another copy of the DE on a different system).
  • DQ Dai has 3 games
  • DQ 12
  • DQ M: Erik + Mia is in extended rebuild, but still ongoing
  • DQ Builders 3 has been teased not long ago, asking for fans to start talking about it.  Of the two new offshoots, this is the one with mostly SE staffers and some Omega Force staffers.
  • DQ Heroes 3 is also likely being developed behind the scenes
  • SE's other teams are booked solid as well, and they have at least 5 AAA games, the most in development at one time since the merger, including FF7r2 and almost certainly FF16 quietly, behind the scenes (given statements made about corporate happiness over 15's success, and several job postings on the heels of FF15 hitting 5m WW sales, for "a longstanding world wide popular rpg series" that wouldn't fit KH as that team was already solid, and DQ isn't that popular WW...yet, but they're growing, slowly, but growing).
So they need to fill in those gaps in terms of constant streams of revenue, and unfortunately, and fortunately at the same time, DQ is now considered prominent enough WW to be given the FF and KH port treatment.  Though DQ already pulled this with DQ's 1~3 on iOS/Droid -> 3DS/PS4/Switch (the original mobile of 3 being a demake makes sense).  Technically we can see this acceptance of cheap/lazy porting with DQ4 DS (and I mean Japan as well, as it's almost a verbatim copy.  DQ6 DS for removing a lot of content, and adding almost nothing, but doing heavy rebalancing and tweaks (most of which were bad choices to speed up the playthrough, but destroying the balance and rebalance attempts in the process).
So this was already in the works.  It's a huge series with a lot of releases, Horii initially liked to check up on every new and rerelease, but I get the impression he isn't concerned with that anymore, and given his age, probably just focuses on the new games, and somewhat on the remakes.  Preferring to allow ports just for general accessibility, and trusting in SE to handle "quality control," that is less than stellar, and going downhill with each release.
The other positive with this is the time they have to get this out is clearly for improving graphics.  Probably due to the experience of the team, as the Switch actually looks better, even if there are obvious added lighting elements, reflections, and slightly upgraded textures.  So I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but while it's sad, and poor form, it's much more likely this was either going to be done this way, or not at all (as the cost to potential profit margin was deemed too risky).
On the positive side, this type of release does assure games like DQ12 get extended development periods, as investors aren't panicking and management demanding untennable deadlines or cancelling projects too early.

Do general Squeenix people even count though? I'm not sure, but do Squeenix people even work on the nuts and bolts of DQ? Does FF7r2 even affect our series at all?

Would hope DQ12, Erik Monsters, DQB3, and DQH3 are all in the works. That'd help me through this time.