Dakhil

Dragon Quest XI S is coming to PlayStation 4, Xbox Game Pass, Xbox One, Windows 10, and Steam on 4 December 2020

If anyone feels bad about paying $60 for the Nintendo Switch version, the Nintendo Switch version has the best cover art in my opinion.

I know the PlayStation 4 and the Xbox One versions have reversible covers, but the cover art, no matter which side, is cluttered with tacky and distracting gold decorations with "Definitive Edition" and a list of new features written all over them.

• Like 1

^ I mean, the fact that it’s portable gives it an edge over the other console versions imo.

• Like 4

^ I mean, the fact that it’s portable gives it an edge over the other console versions imo.
Correct

i just think the steam release could eventually get mods to port the assets from the original over thats worth a buy on its own to see what the moding community does for example the original release on pc has a orchestral soundtrack mod 

• Like 1

3DS version remains in purgatory. A damn shame, while certainly not as graphically up to par as the PS4 version I found the characters to be very expressive in the 3DS version, more so than the PS4. Size limitation clearly not a factor anymore.

There's also the Famicom sprite stuff. Dang.

4 minutes ago, Fates said:

3DS version remains in purgatory. A damn shame, while certainly not as graphically up to par as the PS4 version I found the characters to be very expressive in the 3DS version, more so than the PS4. Size limitation clearly not a factor anymore.

There's also the Famicom sprite stuff. Dang.

Square Enix never really seemed to like supporting the 3DS outside of Japan. Damn shame too, the 3DS version is cool.

I feel sorry for those who will have to buy this all over again but I can say this much: It's a must-buy for any fan of this game who missed out on the Switch version

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Some (obviously not many) complain about the lack of the Japanese language, and there seems to be some confusion about it. Simply there's two editions, Japanese and ROW. I summarized the difference in my site.

One surprising, yet not so exciting, difference is that the Japan edition includes audio drama of 10 stories.

Edited by d9w.hatena
Link destination fix. Mentions audio drama.
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm glad they are making Definitive for PC, even if it's a Switch port with worse graphics. All I really want is for it to have 60fps, that's all. I'm picky when it comes to framerate and I've been getting headaches playing it on PS4... so, I've been hesitant about starting over on Switch version despite wanting to see the new content. 

I'll gladly purchase the game again, though. It's worth way more than 60$! What bothers me is that the Xbox port might not be profitable. I mean, DQ by itself has a low chance of being profitable on Xbox, a platform which barely has any JRPG on it, but now the graphics.. This whole situation summarizes the difference between Japanese gamers and Western. Japanese are okay with poor performance and aren't as picky with graphics but Western players - you'll have all the Digital Foundry videos, you'll have angry rants and review-bombings, all the Twitter hate and such... it's just going to turn off a lot of people from buying the game, I'm sure. The media and public reception are very strong factors that control the sales in English-speaking countries, especially for a niche JRPG making its debut on Xbox.

What I don't get is why Square Enix couldn't have offered a bundle with DQ XI original and Definitive for 59.99$. It goes down to 29.99$ on sales anyway. At least it would be more tolerable and they could maybe boost the sales of DQ XI. The only possible reason is that they didn't want to risk spending more money porting original XI to Xbox, so they went "we won't offer any bundle to not make anyone angry".

Very jarring situation but oh well... There's a chance they will improve the graphics, I think. Still plenty of time until December.

Edited by ShonenKokoro
  • Like 1

I probably won't be buying it anytime soon. Just don't feel like spending $39.99 + sales tax to buy a few additional bits of story and 2D mode. 

2 hours ago, ethanej said:

I probably won't be buying it anytime soon. Just don't feel like spending $39.99 + sales tax to buy a few additional bits of story and 2D mode. 

About 8~15 hours of extra story for the Act 2 bits, depending on how long you take, and the Tickington gameplay is 15~30 hours, again, depending on how long it takes to complete.  Do note it starts about the 10% story marker for Tickington, and has a boss rush after the post-game/act 3 boss, then you get a superboss unlock after a series of superboss fights (unfortunately one-time for the Tickington superbosses, but the boss it unlocks can be fought infinitely).

On 8/5/2020 at 1:31 PM, ignasia said:

About 8~15 hours of extra story for the Act 2 bits, depending on how long you take, and the Tickington gameplay is 15~30 hours, again, depending on how long it takes to complete.  Do note it starts about the 10% story marker for Tickington, and has a boss rush after the post-game/act 3 boss, then you get a superboss unlock after a series of superboss fights (unfortunately one-time for the Tickington superbosses, but the boss it unlocks can be fought infinitely).

I only got about 4 hours out of the Act 2 bonus content. 2D mode is probably quicker than 3D mode though.

1 hour ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

I only got about 4 hours out of the Act 2 bonus content. 2D mode is probably quicker than 3D mode though.

Ah, maybe it's my play style then?  I tend to take things very slow and methodically, retalking to NPCs after every minor event, or if I'm not sure if I have spoken to someone.  Though definitely, 3D does take longer.  Maybe it's more like 4~8 for most players for the new content, but the Tickington stuff is about 15~30 hours total to complete.

Maybe I missed something? The act 2 bonus content felt really short and almost completely insignificant. Jade's chapter was the only part with any kind of difficulty, and Erik's seems like it's only there to tie in with a certain other yet-to-be-released-even-in-Japan game. Rab's was pretty good for backstory but the lack of combat was underwhelming.

Definitely not 8 hours of the Act 2 content. Maybe 4 or 5. Honestly, I don't think the game was well served by it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, AustNerevar said:

Definitely not 8 hours of the Act 2 content. Maybe 4 or 5. Honestly, I don't think the game was well served by it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My problem with it was where it was placed. They should have had those mini arcs being told by the respect characters either after they joined or right before they officially rejoined the party. I definitely prefer how the original opens with the hero alone in Act 2 in his situation and has to try and find the others again.

Putting all four of the new mini stories at the start of Act 2 kind of ruins the vibe in my opinion. I preferred being left in the dark on what became of everyone, so when you did find them again it was a sigh of relief they survived. Having them recount their experiences on their own to the hero would have fit in better with the story telling IMO. In Erik’s case, have him recount his story after you’ve finished the Sniflheim events in Act 2.

I didn’t think the new stories were bad (except for Jade’s which felt unnecessary), but the placement of them could have been handled a lot better.

• Like 3

I forgot the other reason I'm not planning on getting it is stupid denuvo. The original version constantly breaks the activation if you update either the graphics card driver(probably any driver would) or operating system. To reactivate it I have to  take my desktop somewhere so I can activate it which is a pain and no way to activate offline either.

On 8/7/2020 at 9:35 PM, ignasia said:

Ah, maybe it's my play style then?  I tend to take things very slow and methodically, retalking to NPCs after every minor event, or if I'm not sure if I have spoken to someone.  Though definitely, 3D does take longer.  Maybe it's more like 4~8 for most players for the new content, but the Tickington stuff is about 15~30 hours total to complete.

Yeah, I am trying to be more slow and methodical in the style of you. 

It usually ends up saving me time in the long run, so I don't have to backtrack. 

But oh well, I be who I be. 

• Like 2