Dragon Quest XI S is coming to PlayStation 4, Xbox Game Pass, Xbox One, Windows 10, and Steam on 4 December 2020

I never thought it's going to happen, but it did happen. This is crazy!

And looks like Dragon Quest XI S is also coming to PlayStation 4 and Steam.

Edited by Dakhil
  • Upvote 1

I'm happy for people who don't have a Switch. This is good news.

Now release X.

• Like 1

The question is will Square Enix bring Dragon Quest I, II, and III to the Xbox platforms and PlayStation 4 (in the West)?

This is good for the series. It did well enough here to justify being released three different times, twice on two of the same systems. GamePass is also great because it’ll expose even more people to Dragon Quest who either didn’t want to buy it but were still interested or are chomping at the bit for an RPG on Xbox.

• Like 2

Cool. Now more people can enjoy Dragon Quest XI S.

• Like 2

Pre-orders are available for Dragon Quest XI S on PlayStation 4, Xbox platforms, and Steam.

The Steam version costs $39.99: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1295510/DRAGON_QUEST_XI_S_Echoes_of_an_Elusive_Age__Definitive_Edition/

Before you buy Dragon Quest XI S for PlayStation 4, Xbox platforms, or Steam, you should note that Square Enix ported the Nintendo Switch version to the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Xbox Game Pass, and Steam versions, which means that the downgraded assets will be present in those versions if you care about graphic fidelity.

More information can be read here and below.

• Like 1

Why would they leave the low detail assets in when they already have 4K assets?

Extra work maybe? They completely ported the game over to a new engine in XIS.

I dunno enough about game design to say more on it though, honestly.
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that the Nintendo Switch version is using a newer version of Unreal Engine 4 compared to the original PlayStation 4 and Steam versions, and that Square Enix had to rework the assets to make Dragon Quest XI S run at a stable (99% of the time) 30 fps on Nintendo Switch.

I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that the Nintendo Switch version is using a newer version of Unreal Engine 4 compared to the original PlayStation 4 and Steam versions, and that Square Enix had to rework the assets to make Dragon Quest XI S run at a stable (99% of the time) 30 fps on Nintendo Switch.
Wouldn't assets be trivial to port over though? Especially just from one version of Unreal to another?
16 minutes ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

That's what I don't understand. All they require is to switch (pun not intended) them out.

The same reference numbers would be present for the original PS4 assets, and maps.

All they require is to upscale the new content to PS4 and PS4 pro grade textures (and PC grade).  There isn't very much.  For 2D, it's just upscaling and working out the kinks for how output and upscaling is handled on each system.

This makes no sense.  Unless they changed the map and reference numbers, and didn't want to be bothered to go back through the code.

Plus, they've already been at this for awhile given the preparation up to now, and they have until maybe November 10th to get everything complete.  Even working from home, that's plenty of time for a small team to handle this, especially as it's a literal port.  NO new content (which is insane), and the only thing I can't find, is any reference to the Wolf Wear:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1295510/DRAGON_QUEST_XI_S_Echoes_of_an_Elusive_Age__Definitive_Edition/

Trodain and the Boar equipment, and nearly as many seeds.  Nothing in the Xbox, PC, or PS4 listings however.

23 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

Extra work maybe? They completely ported the game over to a new engine in XIS.

I dunno enough about game design to say more on it though, honestly.

The only thing I can think of, is if they relabeled each asset and piece specific to the Switch version, so it can share space in the same database, and the issue lays in going through the code at all calls to each individual asset, map, character, etc. that is altered, and relinking to the original version, and risking issues of potentially missing a few.

It could also be due to how the 2D vs 3D save file swap works.  Since you carry over certain items, but they couldn't make the 3DS version work properly, as the objects likely have different calls numbers, and are cataloged differently.  Leading to carrying over items, equipment, enemy data, which would be easier to categorize and copy, but using specific story reference points based on past events, to avoid story-data and other potential assets related to story data and their conflicts.

So it could have something to do with that.

They would also be working from home, as most of SE's staffers are doing atm.  Though there's no absolute mandate for it, that's something a lot of teams have been openly discussing as they develop games.  So it could be issues and conflicts there as well with potential connection drops since it's WAN instead of LAN, and thus subject to general internet issues, and we're dealing with heavy databases with lots of data per asset.  Also depends on what programs they're using and their personal computers at home.

I mean one thing is clear.  They're taking 6+ months to make a port.  Even with probably slight enhancements on the Switch graphics, it's a port.  No added content (which for Japanese sales is insane...less of an issue outside Japan, as I've already pre-ordered).

Edited by ignasia

At the very least replacing all static assets (i.e. not animated) and textures should be simple. Animated objects may be more work if the Switch version changed their rigging, but I don't really think that's an excuse for a big company like SE.

2D mode shouldn't need any graphical adjustments - the whole point of that mode is to be retro - and it's already at 720p which I'm pretty sure every console supports. The only things that I'd want to see changed probably won't be (specifically, I wish the graphics were integer-scaled to the screen).

I would be OK if any models or even textures that were brand new to DQXIS (like the new areas added for the middle chapter) stayed the same. Obviously I'd prefer they were updated but I'm not going to ask that of a simple port. But the high detail assets that already exist should be used in lieu of their low detail counterparts on PS4 and XBox One. The PC version should have both, with a lower GPU requirement than that of the original release supported by the Switch assets, and the option to toggle on the high detail assets for higher end machines.

• Like 1

Now we just need the 3Definitive Version for the 3DS.

Pretty please, Squeenix?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Now we just need the 3Definitive Version for the 3DS.

Pretty please, Squeenix?

The only reason for me to triple dip.

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, Dakhil said:

The only reason for me to triple dip.

I'm getting this version anyway.  I'd get the Win10 version if I could run it.

8 hours ago, Dakhil said:

Pre-orders are available for Dragon Quest XI S on PlayStation 4, Xbox platforms, and Steam.

The Steam version costs $39.99: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1295510/DRAGON_QUEST_XI_S_Echoes_of_an_Elusive_Age__Definitive_Edition/

I'll definitely get it (again), but I'll wait till next month or so to buy

il be buying it on steam so excitedd to have all the content at least its not a full $60 $40 for whats added is fair not ideal but fair. i already paid $60 last year for it on switch but im still gonna have it on pc  plus modders will probably fix the asset problem in the future either way its mine lol 

• Like 1

I feel a bit numb on this. Good for them getting it on other consoles. I mean I'm not shelling out a penny for this again, but Yay for more fans. More profit in the West = more DQ? But honestly, I couldn't care less about this.

20 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

I feel a bit numb on this. Good for them getting it on other consoles. I mean I'm not shelling out a penny for this again, but Yay for more fans. More profit in the West = more DQ? But honestly, I couldn't care less about this. emoji2369.png

You could care less about this.

I feel a bit numb on this. Good for them getting it on other consoles. I mean I'm not shelling out a penny for this again, but Yay for more fans. More profit in the West = more DQ? But honestly, I couldn't care less about this.
You wouldn't buy a version of XI the features a different hairstyle for the hero?
You wouldn't buy a version of XI the features a different hairstyle for the hero?
20 hours into DQXIS I hit my mental wall of "I don't play games twice" so... nah. I mean, I even did 100% 2D so the hair was less of a factor. Haha

Very tempting though.