Documenting how spells and abilities work. Also character changes from DQ Heroes 1 to DQ Heroes 2.

Need some advice on how to go forward with this guide. I keep running into problems. Right now the .mp4 files I planned to implement, for easier viewing, are like over a minute in length. They're huge. I was considering cutting them down some more, but that means having to create completely different segments for other attributes, making the process take longer. It's already been like six months since I've started this, but I keep running into issues, and I'd like to actually get it out to the public in an acceptable beta format.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sure thing. It’d be nice to have this somewhere as an extra resource. 

Been a while since the last post. Figured I'd go ahead with a couple updates: -Guide has resumed. I'm working on incorporating .mp4 files to make it a lot easier to view all a character's attribu

Notes about some abilities and spells: Lots of spells and abilities that rely on multiple hits, such as Rain of Pain, will only hit a target once. So if you try to use Rain of Pain on Estark, onl

Posted Images

You could use Handbrake (free) to downsize them to a lower resolution like 480p or so. I can host here here if you like as well, I have unlimited space with my hosting plan.

8 hours ago, Woodus said:

You could use Handbrake (free) to downsize them to a lower resolution like 480p or so. I can host here here if you like as well, I have unlimited space with my hosting plan.

It's not really a resolution issue. It's more of a "how fast should I scroll through the menu so I don't fly by everything too fast for my viewers?" issue. Even at a reasonable pace, it's like 45 seconds long or so after splicing. I don't want to scroll too fast, and have them need to repeatedly pause the video to soak the information in. I think that's bad as a publisher. I haven't done it too much, so trying to get it right is a bit of a hassle. I don't want it too long, to bore the viewers, but at the same time I don't want it to be too fast for them either.

On an unrelated note, I did some digging for Lucueus and Aurora, and their kits in the game. I think Aurora is undoubtedly a better pick at this point. Her ability to occasionally freeze is basically a nonissue as it's rare, and she doesn't have the capacity to freeze for long off Frost Slash. Just for a tl;dr version why she's better:

1. Inferno Slash/Cold Fission and Flame Slash/Frost Slash all work off attack.

2. They're all abilities in game. So Luceus' extra magical might is meaningless considering the Zap line of spells is super bad.

3. Aurora has Helm Splitter to increase her physical damage output, and help the team doing this as well. It's also an ability in game.

She benefits much more off ability damage percent increases, which is one of the the most important attack boosts at endgame aside from raw attack boost in general. Kind of minor, but she has some stat swaps like Luceus. She has five more HP, five less MP, 10 less magical might, and 10 more deftness (critical stat basically). I originally thought Luceus would be better, because his stats are much more well rounded, but nah, that extra 10 magical might is meaningless with the Zap line of spells. They're that bad in damage and utility. Plus Bounce is far, far more situational than Helm Splitter ever will be. You'll see it used a lot with enemies spamming Boom/Zam at endgame, sure, but not much else (though admittedly this makes the game MUCH less chaotic in some fights as a result).

So uh...Yangus is pretty bad in DPS. Been doing a couple runs with him versus Estark Extreme like usual, and despite what you'd expect from a hard hitting character, his damage output is really awful over the actual course of the fight. I've been getting nothing but in the eight minute category for him right now. I could shave some time off, probably like a full minute maybe (and that's a big maybe), if these runs would go better. Estark just isn't giving me the time of day.

Yangus relies way too much on his charge mechanic to do much of anything. His Turbocharger mechanic from Heroes still carries over into Heroes 2 thankfully. This essentially means the more you charge, the faster his subsequent charge from his normal kit will be. Like charge C1, then C2 charges faster, etc. Yangus is far more defensively inclined as a character with the best defensive ability in Defending Champion, plus he acts a bit like a paladin with Whistle. His dodge is also very long, but I have more thoughts on that in a moment. Thing is Yangus doesn't have anything moderately fast to deal damage with.

His normal attacks are slow. Helm Splitter doesn't do too much even after a defense drop, and it has noticeable start up. Plus his Parallax ability is actually weaker than any other in the game, though it is the fastest, but it also has the same MP requirement as any other user of it. Charging just makes this all even more slow. Even with other characters who rely on slow melee attacks, there's at least something in their kit to help alleviate this issue. My best clear time with Desdemona is like three minutes faster than him, and I didn't run into the host of problems Estark is giving me here. I'll elaborate more on that in the next paragraph.

Despite being possibly one of the best defensive characters, Yangus...I don't even know what his dodge is even. I can't tell when the i-frames end, and sometimes can't even tell when they begin. Estark just really likes keeping me guessing because he'll hit Yangus when you think he has i-frames mid dodge, but then another attack will hit him at the end of animation, and just go through him. His dodge is so ass backwards I can't even figure out the timing for it. There's even a bit of noticeable start up for his dodge of all things. Most of the time I end up having to ability cancel everything into Defending Champion just to be safe.

There's two beautiful things about Yangus here though: his charge can be maintained even when you dodge, and you can actually hold block while he's mid charge to reduce damage despite the charge continuing. I'll look at other characters and see if they can still block doing charge attacks as well (like Terry's Cutting Edge for instance), but right now, this might be a Yangus exclusive thing. There's only one other charge close to this that comes to mind, and it's Knuckle Sandwich, but it functions differently: you have to unlock this perk, it only keeps the charge while your weapon is out, and you have to reach max charge for it to be stored.

But anyways, due to his huge reliance on the charge mechanic to do much of anything for damage, and his extremely weird dodge, it makes this fight much harder than most characters I've done this with. Estark doesn't always give you the time of day to charge attacks, so this is why it's important to have other options (Thunder Thrust is the sole exception in my experience just due to the sheer range on this thing making it safe) for damage output in the meantime. Especially ones that are decently quick. I'm getting times in the lower five minute category with Luceus who isn't even a power character like Yangus is supposed to be, and that's because Flame Slash is just so good for damage output, and his attacks in his normal kit work well enough in the meantime. Just to put it further into perspective, Yangus is getting DPS comparable to priest using Furious Flurry spam off of staff, which is easily a bottom tier move set...from a vocation with around 80 less attack in these builds I'm using.

Personal take so far? Yangus isn't a good character for superbosses, let alone boss fights at least. I haven't had much trouble from more normal enemies, so maybe save your breath and choose another character. Preferably Desdemona if you want an actual good axe user.

Labbing out some more spells and abilities off another character: Isla. Isla's got a weird selection of moves. Her Firebird Throw is ability based, but ability damage increases only affect the first two hits. I documented another move like this before somewhere in this thread. Just can't remember which it is right now. Power Throw line is ability based as well. Woosh is technically her only spell. So she's like Luceus lol. Her magical might is more important, because her Woosh is way better, and can be powered up from her other two abilities, but the important stat is attack here cause Power Throw is her most damaging single target move. Plus you will be using Twomerang a LOT.

Got priest down to 11:00 minutes exactly with Estark. Found out how to get a proper gauge of the class with spear. Unfortunately this means playing around him in super high tension. 😕

On 3/21/2021 at 2:38 AM, AzureZoa said:

It's not really a resolution issue. It's more of a "how fast should I scroll through the menu so I don't fly by everything too fast for my viewers?" issue. Even at a reasonable pace, it's like 45 seconds long or so after splicing. I don't want to scroll too fast, and have them need to repeatedly pause the video to soak the information in. I think that's bad as a publisher. I haven't done it too much, so trying to get it right is a bit of a hassle. I don't want it too long, to bore the viewers, but at the same time I don't want it to be too fast for them either.

Ahh gotcha, my misunderstanding, good luck finding a good balance :)

Got sub five minutes with Desdemona. 4:58 exactly. Just one second behind Terry now. This is a stark contrast to my extreme struggles with every other character using axe. Yangus I can definitely say is probably by and far the worst axe user. No contest. Even gladiator and warrior have more uses than he does. The primary reason being their dodges are actually usable, and they're very safe unlike Yangus.

I have seen the light of how busted Double Edge Slash can be. Did my first ever attempt at the Deadly Divide map solo. Went pretty well actually. Ran Terry with Miracle Slash, Falcon Slash, Cutting Edge line, and Double-Edged Slash. I knew from experimentation that pairing DBS with Miracle Slash and Falcon Slash would help offset damage taken, but this stage taught me something completely new. If there's enough enemies in a group, you heal all that damage taken by like 10x lol. I was healing for 1.5K HP at times using this strat, and just dealing insane amounts of damage to multiple larger enemies, killing them in like five seconds.