Why does the Vita and Switch get the only individual love?

OK, in reality I just started this becuase I had my mind blown earlier today. In all seriousness I played only Pokémon and DQ on my old GBC. I was kinda late to the party anyway, playing years later, so I only got what I was super interested in.

Favorite surprise game of GBC era was the Pokémon Trading Card game. I loved that little game. I'd played the game when teaching a couple boys I babysat for in the late 90s and then never thought of it for a few years until I saw that game used for like $10, picked it up and loved it. Thought that was that and it was all over... then last night happened.

Was doing a Grandia podcast with RPGamer and of course there were audio issues and delays and we talked past midnight only about Grandia 1 & 2. Going forward we will mention other titles when we record more this weekend, but it got me looking up other entries, like the GBC Grandia Parallel Trippers.

HOLY FRACKING COW, IT HAS AN ENGLISH TRANSLATION!!!

Now I'm going to get that on my modded Vita ASAP and while I was searching for the ROM, what do I run across? FREAKING POKÉMON TCG NUMVER 2. Oh man, I need to finish off Grandia 2 in the next couple days and then pivot into the phonetically correct #GBCJuly

I had the Pokemon TCG game as a kid but I don't think I enjoyed it as much as everyone else has. I never finished it. I've always heard great things about it, though from people who've discovered it years later.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
1 hour ago, eal said:
I can’t believe you didn’t title this “GBC RPGs...?”

Your wish, my edit.

Soon there will be a separate section of the Den just called “RPGs...?”

Boy, I can’t really think of many GBC RPGs to be honest. Just Pokémon, the Dragon Quest games, and I think there’s some RPG elements in the GBC Mario sports games.

I think there’s some Animorph game for the system that’s clearly inspired by Pokémon. Other than that, I got nothing. 🤷‍♂️

If you want some GBC game recommendations though, the Zelda: Oracle games are pretty good. You can play them in either order and the password system lets you continue the adventure in the other, and it actually changes a number of things too. You also obtain password to unlock extra or more powerful items in each game too. I know you don’t really play Zelda games Platty, but you might like them.

I had the Pokemon TCG game as a kid but I don't think I enjoyed it as much as everyone else has. I never finished it. I've always heard great things about it, though from people who've discovered it years later.
I think I got the most enjoyment out of it because I wasn't a kid at the time. I understood more the mechanics and such.
2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Why does the Vita and Switch get the only individual love? emoji8.png

OK, in reality I just started this becuase I had my mind blown earlier today. In all seriousness I played only Pokémon and DQ on my old GBC. I was kinda late to the party anyway, playing years later, so I only got what I was super interested in.

Favorite surprise game of GBC era was the Pokémon Trading Card game. I loved that little game. I'd played the game when teaching a couple boys I babysat for in the late 90s and then never thought of it for a few years until I saw that game used for like $10, picked it up and loved it. Thought that was that and it was all over... then last night happened.

Was doing a Grandia podcast with RPGamer and of course there were audio issues and delays and we talked past midnight only about Grandia 1 & 2. Going forward we will mention other titles when we record more this weekend, but it got me looking up other entries, like the GBC Grandia Parallel Trippers.

HOLY FRACKING COW, IT HAS AN ENGLISH TRANSLATION!!!

Now I'm going to get that on my modded Vita ASAP and while I was searching for the ROM, what do I run across? FREAKING POKÉMON TCG NUMVER 2. Oh man, I need to finish off Grandia 2 in the next couple days and then pivot into the phonetically correct #GBCJuly

28 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

Oh man, I spent so many hours playing Pokemon TCG. Loved it. 

So yeah:

Dragon Warrior Monsters and Monsters 2

Dragon Warrior I, II, and III

All Pokemon Games

Final Fantasy Legend Series

...Can't think of anything else at the moment

2 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

Final Fantasy Legend Series

There’s no way Platty will play those. They are SaGa games and Platty was burned after Romancing SaGa 2. 🤪

There’s no way Platty will play those. They are SaGa games and Platty was burned after Romancing SaGa 2.
They're in my folder of Gameboy games to put on my Vita.

Same place they've been for 8 months.
Boy, I can’t really think of many GBC RPGs to be honest. Just Pokémon, the Dragon Quest games, and I think there’s some RPG elements in the GBC Mario sports games.
I think there’s some Animorph game for the system that’s clearly inspired by Pokémon. Other than that, I got nothing.

If you want some GBC game recommendations though, the Zelda: Oracle games are pretty good. You can play them in either order and the password system lets you continue the adventure in the other, and it actually changes a number of things too. You also obtain password to unlock extra or more powerful items in each game too. I know you don’t really play Zelda games Platty, but you might like them.
Oracle games were great Zelda titles. I hold a lot of nostalgia for those. I really need to replay one soon.

Pokémon was more my jam back in the GBC days though. I didn't venture very far from Gold and Silver.
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

But will you play them...?

spacer.png

3 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

It's been 8 months and that folder hasn't even moved to the Vita. emoji12.pngemoji1787.pngemoji1787.pngemoji1787.png

spacer.png

We’re gonna make a SaGa fan out of you yet Platty. 🤣

P2_czr.gif
We’re gonna make a SaGa fan out of you yet Platty.
Legend of Legacy started the journey.
Alliance Alive made me a fan.
Romancing SaGa 2 was a bit of a step back.

Oh Platty, I remembered an RPG recommendation for you. There’s an RPG called Revelations: The Demon Slayer. It’s part of the Megami Tensei series, originally being called Last Bible in Japan.

5 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

There’s no way Platty will play those. They are SaGa games and Platty was burned after Romancing SaGa 2. 🤪

Hey he might try!!!!

5 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

....Okay maybe not. 

Oh Platty, I remembered an RPG recommendation for you. There’s an RPG called Revelations: The Demon Slayer. It’s part of the Megami Tensei series, originally being called Last Bible in Japan.
I found one from Atlus called Another Bible.

Nevermind. Found it. Not in English.

Quest 64 had a demake on GBC. I remember it actually being decent when I played it many years ago. Better then the N64 version. There is also a Lufia game on the GBC, but I never played it.

Another game I have heard before was Magi Nation. Apparently it is a Pokemon clone that is pretty good.

On 7/15/2020 at 10:59 AM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

If you want some GBC game recommendations though, the Zelda: Oracle games are pretty good.

I would love it if Capcom was able to give 2D Zelda games another shot.

Oh #$*!, and now I'm obsessed. Grandia Parallel Trippers was fun. I lost my progress at 5 hours, but now I know what went wrong. I hope to restart someday soon.

I started up Pokémon TCG2 tonight. Damned if I haven't played like 200+ battles with my sons this year, so world champion level decks, I know how to play the basics and pre-made ones really well. I loaded up the game tonight and sunk 200 straight minutes into it. Lost all of 1 battle and I think I'm taking out bosses out of order. I may be 25% or so through the game and enjoying it as much as the first 15 years ago. Fun game and now that I know what my Vita app expects of me, more GBC fun ahead!

• Like 1
On 7/18/2020 at 10:55 PM, Plattym3 said:

Oh #$*!, and now I'm obsessed. Grandia Parallel Trippers was fun. I lost my progress at 5 hours, but now I know what went wrong. I hope to restart someday soon.

I started up Pokémon TCG2 tonight. Damned if I haven't played like 200+ battles with my sons this year, so emoji867.png world champion level decks, I know how to play the basics and pre-made ones really well. I loaded up the game tonight and sunk 200 straight minutes into it. Lost all of 1 battle and I think I'm taking out bosses out of order. I may be 25% or so through the game and enjoying it as much as the first 15 years ago. Fun game and now that I know what my Vita app expects of me, more GBC fun ahead!

All this talk of Pokemon TCG made me look it up on ebay. 

Not cheap but I keep going back. And I can't seem to find any repro carts for a good deal. 

• Like 1

This second one is really good. 7 hours in I've been through the original area and cleared out all the Team Great Rocket people. Now I've moved to the second chain of islands to take the battle home to them. What's cool is its forcing me to change up my good deck. There's at least one person at each club/gym that has battles with restrictions. One only allowed me to use grass energy, one made me have 4 Pikachu in my deck. You have have 4 decks formed at any time, but that's kinda pointless. You can have up to 30 deck configurations saved, and load them up easily. I've got my good trainers & special energy set as 1 deck and continually now rotate in different Pokemon & energy to that one when special conditions dictate. Other than that, the starter deck based on Machop & Charmander works for most. a8018e8814161791399688d5c30abab6.jpg6bbc18833f1657fd506557077ce6e295.jpg79e1a5cdaf505f15e0833d0bbd0e39e7.jpgd8caef61527925d0bd0ed60af57f9fbb.jpg

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

a8018e8814161791399688d5c30abab6.jpg

It’s my favorite Pokémon! Discount looking Mickey Mouse!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

This second one is really good. 7 hours in I've been through the original area and cleared out all the Team Great Rocket people. Now I've moved to the second chain of islands to take the battle home to them. What's cool is its forcing me to change up my good deck. There's at least one person at each club/gym that has battles with restrictions. One only allowed me to use grass energy, one made me have 4 Pikachu in my deck. You have have 4 decks formed at any time, but that's kinda pointless. You can have up to 30 deck configurations saved, and load them up easily. I've got my good trainers & special energy set as 1 deck and continually now rotate in different Pokemon & energy to that one when special conditions dictate. Other than that, the starter deck based on Machop & Charmander works for most. a8018e8814161791399688d5c30abab6.jpg

He was apparently an early “mascot” of sorts for Pokémon. He was used to promote the franchise. In the Evolutions card set from a few years back had a card of him trying to catch a Doduo with a net.

83C5EFF0-A9DA-4E09-9DFD-D62D67D4E377.jpeg.db1b64f10c58eaf8348fe58f3a225395.jpeg

• Like 1

Hit more of a snag lately in this game. So so so many battles have very specific restrictions like "only water energy" or "use 4 Pikachu cards your deck." My master deck that got me through the first 7 hours hasn't been too handy the last few. It's become more strategic and I'm losing half my battles as I make decks, lose, then figure out how to remake that deck to win. Really enjoying it and am pretty close to endgame. 9 hours in. Still great fun. Posted about this in the turn-based RPG group on Facebook and was surprised by the positive response. Didn't know many people liked the first game.