Cranberry

DQX Team Chat Issues - A Growing Problem

Posted (edited)

This is not a message I was looking forward to writing, but it's one that is required at this point.

There's been problems with the Team Chat, and till now they were relatively minor.  But it's been a growing issue, enough that I've received numerous complaints about it.  Initially I was giving verbal reminders to people, but the issues have only grown and frankly the chat is becoming uncomfortably toxic.

It was one thing when we had people accidentally dropping story spoilers, but now I'm seeing racist comments, insulting other team members, and outright harassment.  This needs to stop immediately.

Nobody likes an overbearing moderator, I am not someone that wants to throw her weight around.  But my patience with these issues has worn thin and if I have to get heavy handed, then I will.  I can, will, and have, started issuing suspensions from the team for these issues.  As standard practice I will usually give a warning before I issue a suspension, but if the behavior is blatant enough, at my discretion I can skip the warning and go straight to a suspension.

We've had pretty lax rules to this point, I figured a lot of it was common sense stuff.  But I have always said that you needed to treat people with respect on the team:

-Be respectful of other Team Members:

The goal of this team is to be a welcoming place for other players.  While this team is certainly not limited to English players, it is the main entry point for pretty much the whole English community on this game.  As such, it is very important that we be respectful and tolerant, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because we are guests on a foreign game that mandates a certain level of respect and politeness from it's customers.  Us miss-behaving and not following this most basic of rules can put everyone at risk.  

-No racist, inappropriate, derogatory, or harassing messages in Team Chat:

This is pretty much tied into being respectful.  We've had cases of racist remarks being used, and harassment or "trolling" of other players.  I'll just lay this out.  I don't like bullies, and I have little tolerance for them.  Start bullying other team members, you won't last long.  If you have a personal issue with someone on the team, do your best to solve it outside of team chat.  If you need a mediator, you can reach out to me and I can work with both of you to try and settle the issue.  But don't start going after someone in team chat.

I will say I've seen racist comments in the chat before.  I will not tolerate this.  Anyone of any skin color and any heritage is allowed in the team as long as they are able to treat others with respect.  If certain types of people or heritages are an issue for you, than I'm going to be blunt.  This isn't the team for you and you should depart.  I won't budge on this one.

On a side note, I sometimes see this term used and people don't realize it's history.  But being this is a Japanese game I feel it's important to make people aware of it.  Please do not shorten Japanese to "Jap".  While not everyone is offended by it, it does have a history of being used as a racial slur and to this day there are some people that are really bothered by it.  Please use "JP" instead as the abbreviation.  This is a non-offensive term to everyone.

-Suspensions

Suspensions are issued at my discretion.  When you are suspended, you are removed from the team.  This does not have to be permanent.  Contact me with your character name and ID and I can inform you how long the suspension is for and you can be re-added when the suspension period is served. 

I may add to this later if I think of more.  I really do not want to become that moderator that has to start cracking the whip.  Nobody wants to be here under tight supervision and having their every move watched.  I do not want to have to start running monitoring services on the team chat so please take this message to heart and help me nip this in the bud before it becomes worse.  Nobody likes an oppressive moderator, but I do have to start tightening my fist on these growing issues.  The toxicity level of the chat is growing at an alarming rate and I can't allow it.

Edited by Cranberry
  • Like 2

Yeah, I've been noticing this happen alot more recently. It's a bit disturbing to log into the DQX phone app (where I usually check the chat) and witness the middle of an argument.

• Like 1

Thank you for addressing this issue Cran. It’s been really bugging me for a little while now, even just not resubbing to keep my mind off of that and im sorry that you have to deal with this and start doing things you never thought you had to do for this team. We will all try to help preserve the purpose of this team. The positivity and welcoming of this team is slowly deteriorating and I’m glad you have addressed this. Hopefully, these measures will be able to prevent such things from occurring more frequently.

• Like 1

That's weird, I haven't experienced any of those issues at all lately. Everyone in the team is about as helpful and courteous as can be imo.

So are we just kicking people off for no reason now? I got booted for doing absolutely nothing. 

I've sent you a PM.  You are free to discuss it with me there.

Cran generally tries to work through things quietly as do I. For the most part, I tend not do do or say anything even if I disagree. However, things have been getting out of hand. We want to welcome everyone openly, but we can’t do that when people are disparaging or disrespecting others. 

• Like 1

Although I have seen some disagreeable conversations in team chat before, I would like to state that, when playing and chatting with Hemingway, Hemingway has never said anything mean or ill-mannered towards me or anyone else in the team chat.  Perhaps I have missed something, but of what I have seen of past team chat conversations, Hemingway was only arguing against a certain platform for playing Dragon Quest X on and recommending the one Hemingway was using.  I do not mean to speak out of line or to demean what Cranberry has said above, but I did feel that it was necessary to say this since I and a few others on the team have expressed the same belief that Hemingway was misunderstood.  I do trust, however, Cranberry's judgement on these issues.  Therefore, I will not say anything further on this or any other issue that comes up pertaining to the team chat unless I believe it is necessary. 

Thank you for reading and thank you, Cranberry, for dealing with these problems.

On 7/2/2020 at 6:35 PM, Hemi said:

So are we just kicking people off for no reason now? I got booted for doing absolutely nothing. 

I've been where you've been in a different game. I know it sucks, but you gotta bite it and move on. I am not here to take sides, but you gotta realize this was something the team needed. We all needed a wake up call and have to stop the negativity in team chat. I hope you realize this and return with a positive attitude after your suspension is up.

Posted (edited)

@Woodus Can you pin this topic for us?

Edit: Actually, scratch that. 

@Ashes, can you edit your "DQX etiquette" pinned thread to contain Cran's new rules from this one?

Edited by MKVarana

2 hours ago, MKVarana said:

@Woodus Can you pin this topic for us?

Edit: Actually, scratch that. 

@Ashes, can you edit your "DQX etiquette" pinned thread to contain Cran's new rules from this one?

I believe Cran edited the "Dragon's Den Team" pinned topic with the contents of this thread.

I’ll add the JP vs Jap portion. I think Cran’s edit to the team post is where all that information should live long term.

• Like 1

I haven't played in a week and come back to this. Oh dear T-T

We are still having a lot of problems with inappropriate behavior in team chat.  I don't know if you guys have noticed, but a number of people have left the team over it.

I don't want to start taking draconian action, but we as a team have got to start treating each other with respect.  We are getting far too many people not showing respect to others in chat, or saying inappropriate or hurtful comments.

I really have not wanted to take the step of setting up tools to monitor and log the chat, but I'm on the verge of having to take that step.

Think about what you are saying in chat.  It should be obvious already that we don't story spoilers in the chat.  That said, occasionally a spoiler might slip through by accident.  If someone is telling you that what you are saying is a spoiler, it's best to take that conversation to private pink chat.  If you disagree that it's a spoiler, it's probably not a good idea to start a fight about it in team chat.  Ask me if you are unsure.  But really, the safest option is just to take your current conversation to private friend chat (the pink window) with the person involved and continue it there.

If you feel someone is not being respectful or is showing disrespect, please notify me of it.  I review things and will act on it if I feel action is needed.

These issues in team chat are costing us members, and damaging our reputation within the community as well.  We are no longer seen as the friendly welcoming and helpful community that we have been for the last 7 years or so.  That is a really unfortunate situation for us to be in.  We were always seen as the go-to DQX community and the best source for new players to go to.  We've lost that reputation.

We must get this situation under control immediately.  It's been a source of frustration for many members of the team, both past and unfortunately now former members of the team that left over these issues.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Not sure what you are referring to, but I've always heard good things about our community (there are even articles online!). Hope we can keep it that way 😛

ありばば

Edited by HyDEKI
  • Like 1