Erdrick The Hero

The State of Yuzu and DQ

Posted (edited)

P R O G R E S S

2062459306_YuzuProgress.thumb.png.52cf1bb3e7395d1c98eff6cfc26f2bcf.png

Just last week DQXIS wouldn't reach it's title screen. (The opening video still doesn't play properly, but can be skipped now.) It's not playbable, at least in 3D mode, and takes eons to get to even this point so I haven't tried 2D mode yet. But you can create a new adventure log with a name.

1614069355_Yuzuprogressdq3.thumb.png.c48ea23a3526e38fef56c62c12caf430.png

Also just last week, the tiles in DQ3 wouldn't line up properly. Now the backgrounds display fine! The game still runs too fast though..., And text is kind of... garbled, for lack of a better term.

Terry's Wonderland Retro still hasn't got any video output but I can tell the Gameboy emulator is otherwise working in Yuzu because I can hear sound and make it into the prologue.

DQX is still just an infinite loading screen. I suspect it's waiting for a response from the Switch's browser for the login process. Yuzu doesn't appear to have a browser. I doubt even with a browser this game would actually run in the emulator yet, if ever, based on the need to connect to SE's servers to play at all. But hey, Dolphin managed it just months before the Wii version was discontinued.

I haven't tested DQ1 or DQ2 today but they had the same issues as DQ3 before, I'm willing to guess they're at about the same state as DQ3 right now.

So basically, emulating DQ Switch games isn't on the table yet, but may not be too far off. Particularly XIS, as I am sure supporting Unreal Engine is *something* of a priority for the Yuzu devs, considering how many games are built upon it.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

I've not even looked into Switch emulation on PC. Wow.

I had no idea Switch emulation was here yet. It usually takes years before emulators can catch up to current gen consoles.

Definitely cool, from a technical standpoint at the least.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

I had no idea Switch emulation was here yet. It usually takes years before emulators can catch up to current gen consoles.

Definitely cool, from a technical standpoint at the least.

So far I can run the Switch version of Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy in Yuzu, which is kind of pointless since I have the PC version. None of my other games run properly yet. But I've seen many Nintendo 1st party games that run great, I just don't play many Nintendo games. I bought the Switch to play 3rd party titles wherever. SMO was cool, and so was MK8D, but I've had my fill of Oddessey and as soon as CTR Nitro Fueled dropped I had no reason to ever go back to Mario Kart. (Unfortunately CTRNF crashes before the title screen in Yuzu still.)

Got my hands on an early access build that runs Crash Team Racing near-perfectly. Also DQXIS' 2D mode is kind of playable but the graphics are corrupt. It looks like the red and blue channels are swapped. Sometimes the text renderer glitches out, with letters missing or flashing, and sometimes they'll make weird shapes that can look like cracks in a screen. Still no FMV playback so some cutscenes are just a black screen. Thankfully the Switch version has "(Y) to skip". 3D mode still crashes while loading.

Also noticed it let me set my name to Erdrick (I didn't even think about it). Is this supposed to be possible in the Switch version? PC version wouldn't let me.