Slimeknight

Square Enix to announce multiple games soon.

22 minutes ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

That explains why people aren't currently playing it, but does not explain people saying "it's an MMO I don't want it to come out here".

1 minute ago, eal said:

Are there people who don’t want it to come out here? Some, like myself, have said why it probably won’t happen, but I think we all want more Dragon Quest game, especially one we can all play together as a community. I want it, I just don’t think it’s likely.

Yeah, I can’t really think of anyone here who has said “it’s an MMO I don’t want it here.”

I haven't seen it in this thread but I've seen people on the Den say they don't want it just because it's an MMO. Usually they say something to the effect of "I hated WOW/Ragnarok/FF14 so I don't want an MMO at all, it's dumb and shouldn't be localized" without considering the fact the DQX is absolutely nothing like these games.

• Like 1

Yeah, I can’t really think of anyone here who has said “it’s an MMO I don’t want it here.”
I'll admit, I've been close. I have zero desire to play an MMORPG. But, I've enjoyed almost 40 hours of DQX like a MORPG, no multiplayer needed. But no, even when I had no desire to play, I never wished it away for others.

Posted (edited)

Every video I've watched of DQ10 bosses, especially later game bosses, I'm seeing a single attack, everyone is near 100%, and almost the whole party is dead in one shot, with one person alive, then reviving everyone else.  Then a single target attack, and another person's HP bar goes from near or at 100% to almost nothing, then another smaller AoE where everyone in the range is either dead, or near dead.

The videos I've watched of the battle system scream FF11 and FF12 in how the individual playing moves around and selects things, movement having no impact on whether you get hit by a single-targeted attack, only AoE's with a specific range, and only when within that range, that the menu pops up almost immediately after taking an action, not a charge up, with the only charges being the actions taken.  So no, I haven't played, but that's what I'm seeing.

So I'm not sure how I have this so wrong either.

Alright, watching more videos I guess I'm living in an alternate universe.  I'll remove my points about DQX and I will not discuss it anymore.  I can't find the last three videos, one with a boss battle with a guy that looks like Murdaw in a rainbow area, where every attack the entire party was nearly decimated.  There was another one from another point.  Watching the original final boss, in a Project CEO video is very different, with almost minimalistic damage that, yes, definitely makes DQXI with Strong Monsters seem very difficult by comparison.

I never suggested DQX is a normal MMO, but it will still be seen as such, and so I'll keep that aspect of my original post intact.  The rest is crossed out.

Ok, I should have watched a bit further.  Though given the time span in between attacks, yes, that definitely changes things (and the number of attacks per...I guess what can be called a round, since it doesn't seem to function like DQ11's rounds, but more like a slower FF11, and yes, I stick by that claim in watching this:

The damage output here is what I'm seeing in other boss videos, only AoE's more often than not, and even against people like Cranberry, where in this case Cranberry's higher level and better gear afford her a lot more leeway.

Though yes, I'll say the equations are still definitely DQ, and the spaces in between attacks, even in other videos of later-release bosses, do maintain a certain...leeway.

I've yet to see a boss that takes multiple turns in a single what can be seen as a round, as in other DQ's.  I could be wrong, but after this, I'm going to say...how exactly was I wrong about output (especially without Cranberry present to help out)?  As well with my claim on the flow of battle being more akin to FF12, though I was wrong about the charge, it's more animation than charge, but a fixed period of time before the menu pops up, that seems consistent with each character regardless of stats.

So yeah, ok, it's not really like normal MMO's, it's not really like normal DQ's either, though it carries a lot of core elements.  I am sorry Platty, but I am going to triple down on the FF11, at the very least, had some influence on the battle system.  To me that's what I'm seeing.

Though the difficulty isn't quite what I imagined giving the spacing between attacks. 

Edited by ignasia

Posted (edited)

Or maybe I'm missing that rounds are in place, and everyone has to take a turn, with DQ10's bosses having the fewest number of general actions per round than standard DQ bosses (but definitely higher than normal damage for their main "serious" forms than standard DQ's to offset the difference to balance it out).

I'll take back the point that a video is enough to know what I'm talking about.  I admit that was wrong and there's no way for me to know for sure without actually playing it.  I will say it puts me back in the position of wanting to support it again, at least to see for myself.

Edited by ignasia

... Or maybe I'm missing that rounds are in place, and everyone has to take a turn, with DQ10's bosses having the fewest number of general actions per round than standard DQ bosses (but definitely higher than normal damage for their main "serious" forms than standard DQ's to offset the difference to balance it out).

You're A ) looking at the final form of the final boss of v1 (so he's atypical for the majority of DQX bosses), B ) a final boss fight done at 2 time difficulty, and C ) a four year old video. There have been a large number of changes made to the game in recent years to make the game much more accessible especially in early game content. 

You really don't start encountering the tougher bosses until around version 3 (which for me, wasn't until I hit the 500 hour mark). And even then they are all perfectly solo-able.

The only time you need to bring along real people is if you're doing some of the high end labyrinths. And those are meant to be really challenging as that's what people do them for.

• Like 1

I am sorry Platty, but I am going to triple down on the FF11, at the very least, had some influence on the battle system.  To me that's what I'm seeing. 

You might very well be right, I've never dared to subject the temple of my body to the horrors of Final Fantasy in 12 years or so for fear of my eyes melting and flowing out of my body (coincidently my eyeglass prescription stopped charging since I played FF12 - so either it cured me or avoiding FF did, those are the only 2 logical conclusions), and never the MMOs, not even by watching a YouTube video. I have no clue what FF11 does or doesn't do.

Posted (edited)

You guys really got into this when I was playing DnD last night and I wasn't able to coherently form many thoughts on the discussion. It's over now but I have a bunch of word vomit built up inside of me that needs gotten out.

So here is my ramble.

21 hours ago, eal said:
It’s not necessarily about how they play, it’s that the MMO bubble burst years and years ago and trying to convince people that are dug into WoW or FFXIV or now PSO2, which people have been begging for forever, to give Dragon Quest X a go. It’s similar to the DQM:J situation, where people didn’t really need another Pokémon-esque game so it was likely that mostly Dragon Quest fans bought and played them.

I mean this is fair, but there's always room for the market to change. Out of all the arguments against X succeeding in the west, this one is the strongest.

16 hours ago, Erdrick The Hero said:
You *can* grind for god-tier equipment, but it's not necessary unless you've already done all the story content and are just going after the extra strong bosses. Especially if you do play with other people, because usually there will be *someone* in your party who is massively OP.

Not even that, you can just recruit the God-level players as NPCs. There are at least two major DPS Battle Masters that I can think of on the Den Team that you can rent to practically *carry* you through the entire game.

16 hours ago, Erdrick The Hero said:
In game chat is relegated to relatively short messages, but more can be said in Japanese than in English with the space we're given. I bet an official localization would up the message size limit at least a bit. Either way, it's totally usable.

There is no native voice chat but in a world of Steam, Discord, TeamViewer, etc. it's really not a problem. If I'm playing with a group that has mics we can use another program, and I have no desire to hear 1000 randos eating their mics in a town square.

Most certainly game chat would be expanded if this game ever came out over here. BTW, I never see you online. Do you still play?

16 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:
Probably because it’s not available in English. That MAY have something to do with it.

Check out Nawaria's channel.....

If it did come out here, I don't see it retaining the subscription fee, or at least not for very long.

If it were just a matter of a simple translation and release, we would probably already have this game. Server costs are really not that high and plenty of MMOs with low userbases persist for whatever reason. But Dragon Quest is unique in that the localization process for these games has to be intense and meticulous. I can't imagine the time it takes for them to think up all of the puns that they do and write everything to the level of quality that we usually get. Dragon Quest X is like 5 Dragon Quest games packed into one. It is laughably obscene how long it is. The upfront cost of localizing all of this content might never be earned back. In Japan, they make users pay through the nose for this game. Pretending for a moment that the gargantuan trial doesn't exist, players have to buy the actual game itself for retail price and then pay a monthly fee of 1,000 yen. For users who have been playing since the beginning, they paid for the base game and (presumably) full retail price for all four expansions to the game. And then there's the cash shop that houses a lot of, frankly, really cool mounts, houses, furniture, weapons, and armor. I made the mistake of dabbling in the cash shop half a month ago and it quickly got out of hand and I'd spent way more than I ever intended to. SEoJ makes a killing off this game from all the different way they can make people pay for it.

A lot of that just will not fly in America. An MMO publisher here generally monetizes their games using only ONE of the three following plans: One-time base-game purchase fee; A monthly subscription fee; or a cash shop. Very very rarely do they mix the three as fans almost consider that financial manipulation. Unfortunately, the enormous localization costs would almost require at least a combo of two of the above methods. I personally am willing to pay more than the norm for an MMO if it's actually unique and well-written (which this one totally is), however many are not. And if I weren't already an obsessive DQ fan I would be hesitant to commit that much money to a game when it quite possibly could be no different from the 15 other boring MMOs out there on the market currently.

I don't think that DQ fans, once exposed to the game through Twitch or something, would pass it over to be honest. It's too good of a game to ignore and too much of a faithful DQ experience to dismiss as a major departure from the series. Any arguments about difficulty are, I feel, not really valid as it's just not that hard. But the money thing is key.

Edited by AustNerevar

19 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

I'll admit, I've been close. I have zero desire to play an MMORPG. But, I've enjoyed almost 40 hours of DQX like a MORPG, no multiplayer needed. emoji1787.png But no, even when I had no desire to play, I never wished it away for others.

And this is why I'd love to have it localized. I just want to play, damn it. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

Check out Nawaria's channel.....

I don’t have time to check it right now, but I assume it’s a way or ways to play the game without having a Japanese internet connection/server or whatever other work arounds there are.

My point with that post you quoted was that the game is not available in English to play, so people may ignore it for that reason. Some may do it for the reason Erdrick pointed out, but I would guess the majority just don’t pay the game much mind since it doesn’t have an official western release. It’s nice there are work arounds for those who want to go for them, but it’s still not in proper English.

Maybe someday it will happen like with Phantasy Star Online 2. Stranger things have happened in the world of gaming.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I don’t have time to check it right now, but I assume it’s a way or ways to play the game without having a Japanese internet connection/server or whatever other work arounds there are.
My point with that post you quoted was that the game is not available in English to play, so people may ignore it for that reason. Some may do it for the reason Erdrick pointed out, but I would guess the majority just don’t pay the game much mind since it doesn’t have an official western release. It’s nice there are work arounds for those who want to go for them, but it’s still not in proper English.
Maybe someday it will happen like with Phantasy Star Online 2. Stranger things have happened in the world of gaming.
Her channel is a full translation playthrough of the main quests. She's about 250 videos in at the moment and believe has just started version 4.

I was only 3/4s serious with that response though as I realize it isn't the same as being able to read all the text yourself. As for internet connections, the game is playable out of the box if you're in the US, China, or Japan.
  • Like 1

Yu Miyake once mused about an offline, single-player version of DQ10 for the western market… I imagine it was just an idle thought, a pipe dream, and not something that Square-Enix has actively pursued and developed, but it seems marginally more likely than the MMO coming here.

• Like 2

If they were going to localized the game it would make more sense to keep it online. As Aust said, the localization costs would be massive. If they paid to localize the game they'd likely need recurring payments of some kind to profit.

8 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

Not even that, you can just recruit the God-level players as NPCs. There are at least two major DPS Battle Masters that I can think of on the Den Team that you can rent to practically *carry* you through the entire game.

Most certainly game chat would be expanded if this game ever came out over here. BTW, I never see you online. Do you still play?

Good point about the other players. That's actually what I usually end up doing.

I wish I could still play but I'm broke. Haven't been able to really play in at least a year.

On 6/28/2020 at 4:21 AM, Erdrick The Hero said:

That explains why people aren't currently playing it, but does not explain people saying "it's an MMO I don't want it to come out here".

I'm personally conflicted about a potential release. As much as I'd love to actually play DQX, explore its rich and interesting world and lore, I also really don't enjoy playing in a world and seeing other members jumping around. 

I personally don't like MMO, having tried a few. Tho of course this wouldn't be the main reason, and would be selfish methink. 

However, the reason why I could wish for X not to be localized, is because I fear about its performance. It would need to be played, but just how many people would actually play it, the number, is what worry me. Should X come out, that'd be great, but if the players are so few that the game is dismissed, then SE might lose money, and confidence in porting more DQ games outside Japan. 

Or at least, that's what I'm worried about. Maybe X failure wouldn't have any impact at all. 🤔

As for myself, I'd personally love playing X full solo. As in, no MMO, just RPG. It'd probably feel like playing FFXII or Skyrim or something, but since you can make you own party or get temporary story-related NPCs to help you in your quest (if I'm not mistaken), soloing it wouldn't be a massive problem. 

I'd happily buy each extension like a separate game, which would be as money consuming as a monthly subscription in my mind too. 🤔

I'd happily buy each extension like a separate game, which would be as money consuming as a monthly subscription in my mind too.

Nawaria said during her Slime Time appearance that each version was as long as a full title. I spent about 35 hours on V1.0 and that was doing almost no side stuff, so yeah, it's as a big as other inferior 35-50 hour games that sell for $60 all the time.
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Nawaria said during her Slime Time appearance that each version was as long as a full title. I spent about 35 hours on V1.0 and that was doing almost no side stuff, so yeah, it's as a big as other inferior 35-50 hour games that sell for $60 all the time.

Well, all the more reason for the game to be released periodically like a full fledged RPG imo. 🤔

No need for costly OnLine servers, just 5 separate games, 60€ each. Like that, if V1.0 doesn't sell, they won't need to work on V2.0. 👌🏻

I wonder, which console would receive DQX, should it be sell outside of Japan? Switch, PC and PS4/5? Would it be deemed worth for westerners on PC and PS, considering the game, while beautifully designed still uses models from the Wii? 🤔

• Like 1

Well, all the more reason for the game to be released periodically like a full fledged RPG imo.
No need for costly OnLine servers, just 5 separate games, 60€ each. Like that, if V1.0 doesn't sell, they won't need to work on V2.0.
I wonder, which console would receive DQX, should it be sell outside of Japan? Switch, PC and PS4/5? Would it be deemed worth for westerners on PC and PS, considering the game, while beautifully designed still uses models from the Wii?
I would be majorly disappointed if DQX came over as just a stripped down singleplayer game. The amount of changes necessary even to just the world design to make this singleplayer would be a negative effect, causing some content to be excised wholly.

The game is already solo-able, why do you wish that the fans of the multiplayer components should be robbed of that experience?
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

why do you wish that the fans of the multiplayer components should be robbed of that experience?

Cuz MMO's suck.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DragonQuest2IsGood said:

Cuz MMO's suck.

What a persuasive argument. 🤣

What a persuasive argument.
He got me, I guess I lost this debate.
@DragonQuest2IsGood I don't like MMOs either. I love this one.

Also, Dragon Quest 2 sucks.
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

What a persuasive argument. 🤣

The basis of many arguments in the gaming community are like this lol

58 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

He got me, I guess I lost this debate.
@DragonQuest2IsGood I don't like MMOs either. I love this one.

Also, Dragon Quest 2 sucks.

#$*! you DQ2 is gud.

I need to get around to writing my DQIX manifesto.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DragonQuest2IsGood said:

#$*! you DQ2 is gud.

19 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

The basis of many arguments in the gaming community are like this lol

And that’s usually how responses are handled. We’re seeing all kinds of things on the Den this morning!

• Like 1