Slimeknight

Square Enix to announce multiple games soon.

Posted (edited)

I'll keep my expectations really low. It's Square Enix afterall.

Edited by DragonQuest2IsGood

Dragon Quest X for the west... At this point it's memable. 😅

"DQX will come home. DQX loves me."

I mean, if it were to be localized that'd be radical, but all hope is lost imo. 

However, Builders 3, Heroes 3, à Zenith trilogy on Switch etc, this I could see. 🤔

Posted (edited)

DQ10 for the West?  Pipe dream.  Gamstat is an amazing site.  Really opened my eyes, as I was wondering why the US sales for the PS4 edition hadn't hit 500k for DQ11.

There are more DQ11 sales between the Switch, PS4, and the PC version than DQ's 8, and even 9 in the US.  It's actually LOWER in Europe by a sizeable margin.  DQ has been in decline in Europe ever since DQ8.  Slow and steady decline, with a core and very loyal fanbase, but no perpetual growth for some reason (it's been bombing in the UK, even the Action games, but then the UK seems desperate to play anything that isn't swords and sorcery).  However, the bulk of new sales?  Taiwan, Hong Kong, and South Korea.

Yeah, all the DQ Heroes marketing in those three areas paid off big time over time.

Dragon Quest Builders 1, 2, Heroes 2, and Dragon Quest 11 have all grown there.  Oh, they've grown in the US, just by VERY slight margins in comparison, for all the effort put into it.

So NA sales:

DQ8 - 430k (one print run, took years to sell through, opening month didn't break 80k)
DQ9 - 500~600k (opening month broke 128k)
DQ11 PS4 - 390k (338k specific to the US, 408k if we count C/S America)
DQ11 PC - some unknown % of 200k+ (it's in the 200~500k range now, but it's only been there a short while, and growth was objectively slow, with a few massive sales pushing it over the 200k hurdle).  Steam is mostly a "rest of the world" market (https://store.steampowered.com/stats/content/) , though for games like DQ11 and requirements, this is mostly a US/EU/Taiwan/HK/South Korea game, so assuming similar ratios, it's about 80~90k US.
DQ11 Switch - hard to day, if the ratios are identical to the PS4, somewhere around 200~220k given the Japanese numbers, and total Switch sales being around 900k~1m (almost certainly over 1m now).

DQ11 Total NA potential sales: 390 + 85 + 210 = 685k (could be as high as 700, could even be higher at 750k or as low as 625k).

By comparison EU sales:

DQ8 - 712k
DQ9 - 400~500k (could be an even split, but due to opening bell numbers, it's likely more in the US favour, so probably 550 and 450k)
DQ11 PS4 - 267k (all of Europe, including the UK, not just Western Europe)
DQ11 PC - if ratios persist, then 50~60k.
DQ11 Switch - if ratios persist, then 130~150k.

DQ11 Total EU potential sales: 267 + 55 + 140 = 462k

While that's good, and very promising for the US, it's not great overall.  Probably not enough to guarantee DQ10 at this point.  There will most likely need to be more growth.

Here's Heroes 1, 2, and Builders 1, and 2 PS4:

Heroes 1 - 200k NA , 171k EU
Heroes 2 - 72k NA , 56k EU
Builders 1 - 187k NA , 148k EU
Builders 2 - 75k NA , 52k EU

Builders 2 Steam (100k+) - if ratio's persist between NA, rest of world, etc. then 30k NA and 21k EU

Builders 2 Switch (1.1m back in August, so possibly 1.3m WW across all systems by now...1.2~1.3 - .58 - .1 = 520~620k) - if ratio's persist, 67~80k NA, 47~56k EU

Builders 2 total potential sales - 172~185k NA , 120~129k EU

==================

We're essentially going to need DQ12.  It's good SE has a very realistic viewpoint on DQ11, especially given revenue margins, and likely profits were never higher.  Spin-off's are overall selling better (especially in the US), though seeing sad declines despite quality jumps (DQB1 -> DQB2), however, DQB1 has seen higher sales jumps since DQB2, as with DQH getting a jump with DQH2's release, and both original games, especially on Playstation 4, had insane price drops of the original games, as low as $3 at points, though usually hovering between $8~15.

Assuming DQ12 sees growth that is.  We might...MIGHT get lucky if SE sees an opportunity with SEA, and the burgeoning hard growth in Taiwan, Hong Kong, and South Korea.  You can release games in all of those regions in English, as it's very commonly spoken as a second language (trade-business requirement).  Especially SEA, Taiwan, and Hong Kong.  South Korea might require Korean, and it's always smarter to release Cantonese and Mandarin language editions, but most SEA releases are done in English as there are too many languages to consider.  So there might be consideration for the US by proxy.

Edited by ignasia
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

DQ10 for the West?  Pipe dream.  Gamstat is an amazing site.  Really opened my eyes, as I was wondering why the US sales for the PS4 edition hadn't hit 500k for DQ11.
There are more DQ11 sales between the Switch, PS4, and the PC version than DQ's 8, and even 9 in the US.  It's actually LOWER in Europe by a sizeable margin.  DQ has been in decline in Europe ever since DQ8.  Slow and steady decline, with a core and very loyal fanbase, but no perpetual growth for some reason (it's been bombing in the UK, even the Action games, but then the UK seems desperate to play anything that isn't swords and sorcery).  However, the bulk of new sales?  Taiwan, Hong Kong, and South Korea.
Yeah, all the DQ Heroes marketing in those three areas paid off big time over time.
Dragon Quest Builders 1, 2, Heroes 2, and Dragon Quest 11 have all grown there.  Oh, they've grown in the US, just by VERY slight margins in comparison, for all the effort put into it.
So NA sales:
DQ8 - 430k (one print run, took years to sell through, opening month didn't break 80k)
DQ11 PC - some unknown % of 200k+ (it's in the 200~500k range now, but it's only been there a short while, and growth was objectively slow, with a few massive sales pushing it over the 200k hurdle).  Steam is mostly a "rest of the world" market (https://store.steampowered.com/stats/content/) , though for games like DQ11 and requirements, this is mostly a US/EU/Taiwan/HK/South Korea game, so assuming similar ratios, it's about 80~90k US.
DQ11 Switch - hard to day, if the ratios are identical to the PS4, somewhere around 200~220k given the Japanese numbers, and total Switch sales being around 900k~1m (almost certainly over 1m now).
DQ11 Total NA potential sales: 390 + 85 + 210 = 685k (could be as high as 700, could even be higher at 750k or as low as 625k).
By comparison EU sales:
DQ8 - 712k
DQ9 - 400~500k (could be an even split, but due to opening bell numbers, it's likely more in the US favour, so probably 550 and 450k)
While that's good, and very promising for the US, it's not great overall.  Probably not enough to guarantee DQ10 at this point.  There will most likely need to be more growth.
Builders 2 Steam (100k+) - if ratio's persist between NA, rest of world, etc. then 30k NA and 21k EU
Builders 2 Switch (1.1m back in August, so possibly 1.3m WW across all systems by now...1.2~1.3 - .58 - .1 = 520~620k) - if ratio's persist, 67~80k NA, 47~56k EU
==================
We're essentially going to need DQ12.  It's good SE has a very realistic viewpoint on DQ11, especially given revenue margins, and likely profits were never higher.  Spin-off's are overall selling better (especially in the US), though seeing sad declines despite quality jumps (DQB1 -> DQB2), however, DQB1 has seen higher sales jumps since DQB2, as with DQH getting a jump with DQH2's release, and both original games, especially on Playstation 4, had insane price drops of the original games, as low as $3 at points, though usually hovering between $8~15.
Assuming DQ12 sees growth that is.  We might...MIGHT get lucky if SE sees an opportunity with SEA, and the burgeoning hard growth in Taiwan, Hong Kong, and South Korea.  You can release games in all of those regions in English, as it's very commonly spoken as a second language (trade-business requirement).  Especially SEA, Taiwan, and Hong Kong.  South Korea might require Korean, and it's always smarter to release Cantonese and Mandarin language editions, but most SEA releases are done in English as there are too many languages to consider.  So there might be consideration for the US by proxy.
My goodness. Those sales are pretty much all crappy. I mean I know DQ isn't a sales powerhouse, but with numbers like that I'm surprised they still release here at all.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ignasia said:
So NA sales:
By comparison EU sales:
DQ8 - 712k
==================

How reliable is that site? I was under the impression, that SE has not released sales numbers in many many years?

And, look we all know that DQ10 is a long shot. It has been that way for a very long time. But in a world where Phantasy Star Online 2 can come out nearly 9 years after release, I believe there is hope to be had.

Edited by AustNerevar
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

How reliable is that site? I was under the impression, that SE has not released sales numbers in many many years?

And, look we all know that DQ10 is a long shot. It has been that way for a very long time. But in a world where Phantasy Star Online 2 can come out nearly 9 years after release, then I believe there is hope to be had.

Yeah, I’d have to echo the Phantasy Star Online 2 comment. That game was a long shot for ever coming over, but years later it finally became a reality. DQ10 could be that lucky too, but it’s a matter of time to see if it happens.

@AustNerevar 

Well, SE has released numbers, just not specified a breakdown of region, except for Japan.  We know for sure PS4, 3DS, and Switch Japanese numbers, and total numbers.  I have to rush, so if you want me to post links to the last releases, I can.  We know the sales numbers for 3DS+PS4+Steam a few months prior to Switch.  The surge in those sales wouldn't amount to very much (maybe 30k worldwide) in the interim, inclusive of sales, but it's impossible to know for sure.  However it's a matter of deducing and breaking down total numbers, then predicting growth past the last release numbers (and noting that DQ11 Switch is still in print, as is DQ11 PS4, so there are still continued, if slow, sales to account for).

We know general range for Steam sales, which aren't exact, but fairly accurate to a point where Steamspy is considered a reliable indicator.

We also know the general range of sales for the first month on the PS4+Steam in the US: at least 156k, beating out DQ9's first month of 132k.  As NPD now tracks total revenue to account for digital sales, and DQ11 made over 2x the revenue of DQ9 over the first month.  So they're getting direct data from SE for that one, as with Nintendo releasing direct data on hard sales for DQ9.

----

As for Gamstat...

Gamstat just uses the PS4 API to determine anyone who has installed a game, and by tracking trophy counts, how many have actively played.  The API used to list the total player count if you checked the game data on your PS4, and went into the details for your Trophies.  So you could easily Track % of the highest level Trophy independently, then number of total players who have earned it, then divide into it for the number who have installed the game.  However, while that data is still IN the API, they stopped listing it years ago for players.  Though you can still rip it directly, and break down the data sets.  They've been doing this since the PS3 and Vita.

So I'd say it's probably the most accurate source out there for gaming data up front, and within the first few months to a year, with one exception: used.

So over time, gamstat's data becomes less and less reliable as used copies are tossed into the mixture.  There's nothing I'm aware of in the PS4 tracking, that indicates:

1. Digital release vs physical, it's just installs
  2. Individual game print/download codes indicating whether a game was passed around...
  3. ...sold as used...
  4. ...or installed on a new system after a previous one breaks down.
  5. If a game is purchased, but never installed.

So for right now, it's accurate.  The numbers to reflect Japan's known sales numbers for PS4 fairly accurately, including potential small amounts of resales being relatively low given the last SE number release and the % of total accounted installs on gamstat are fairly close, only a few hundred thousand higher, and Japan has a generally larger resale market than we do, plus the extra time to account for late-comers aiming for resales vs new.

====

@Plattym3  Well, there is a silver lining.

1.  US sales do show a general growth period.  EU sales show stagnation, and degradation seems to have slowed to a core set of fans.  So there's potential for growth beyond those fans again, as with DQ8.  PS4 sales would certainly have been much higher in the US without Steam or the early reveal of a Switch version.  Likely Switch would have done as well either way.
  2. Multiplatform gaming in today's world is more expensive.  So more people are apt to pick a single system, and we knew about the Switch early (big mistake on SE's part).  So given the general price points and harder to find funds to justify a purchase, for a niche series, that's overall very good between releases.
  3. Digital sales are 30% generally, sometimes 40%, but since COVID-19, they've nearly doubled in ratio, to the point where we've seen almost nonstop digital sales (including four of which where DQ11 was reduced since February, at least on Switch...I didn't pay attention to PSN, and Nintendo's news drops make it easier to track new sales, and given DQ11 has been listed so many times in recent news drops, that's a good indicator it's doing well, so they feel there are sales to milk).
  4. DQ8's sales numbers took years to hit.  I mean YEARS with how many factory sealed copies were floating around Ebay and Amazon at under $15.  DQ7 did better than DQ8 in the US.
  5. US DQ9 hit 132k.  The LOWEST US DQ11 sales (steam+PS4) hit, is 156k, assuming only double the release, and accounting for the number of sales (like Greenman Gaming) in that first month period.  So that's really good for numbers up front.  DQ9's 1m number doesn't appear until a year later, and that's NA + EU + RoW, and Rest of World did not include China, Taiwan, South Korea, SEA, or Hong Kong as direct markets, they would have had to pay the shipping fees from the US or Europe.  So it could be 50~100k outside the NA and EU+AU sales if things went well.  Nintendo never broke down the numbers.  It's just the behaviour of both Nintendo and SE since DQ9, indicates EU saw a drop in sales, NA saw a rise in sales.
  6. DQ9 at 1m outside Japan is 1 year out.  DQ8 at 1.1m outside Japan is 8 years out, and DQ11 at 797 in NA+EU on PS4, is 10 months out, while Switch around 350k NA+EU is a few months out (so 1.1m at 1 year out for all combined).
  7. Given DQB2 versus 1, that bodes well for future releases.  DQH is expected given it's Mussou, and the numbers are hard to track for DQH1 sales, as for a VERY long time, it's been under $15.  So those DQH1 numbers could be inflated based on long-term cheap purchase compared to 2, and 2 could be hurt because Mussou takes a certain taste, as it's just battle after battle after battle of wave after wave after wave.  DQB2 is also a much more expensive game (on PS4 and PC, but on Switch when considering the DLC packs), and has several paid for DLC packs, which given the nature of being a builder game, does carry a stigma for extra purchases for a full building game.  So while they should be higher numbers (they'd doing insanely well in Asia, outside Japan, especially Hong Kong), and I wish they were higher here, as it's an amazing game, and one of my favourite of all time, it's really good compared to DQB1 considering DQB1's PS4 price point has been substantially low since DQB2 released, so those numbers are very likely inflated from cheap purchases (not may have played it though).

I mean they could have really hit the nail on the head if they did a few things differently with the Switch version.

Switch should have been another year in Development to further improve details, like adding in extra skills, extra weapons, new sources of skill point farming (even early game), more costumes from other DQ's along with their overworld themes, adding in battle themes from previous DQ's as an option, when said costumes are unlocked.  New quests that start early game.   A new character, only a secret one, that's like Amos, and you can lose him/her forever.  New Tockle quests, like adding in 1 or 2 extra sections to other DQ worlds, complete with the new equipment sets (like a Bow and the Hero having Boomerangs as is the case for all DQ heroes except 11 when Boomerangs are present).  QoL is nice, but the extra wait period combined with beefier hard content would have added

1 hour ago, AustNerevar said:

And, look we all know that DQ10 is a long shot. It has been that way for a very long time. But in a world where Phantasy Star Online 2 can come out nearly 9 years after release, I believe there is hope to be had.

I’d like the game to come out too, and I’d happy to be wrong, but I feel like PSO2 actively damages our chances of Dragon Quest X. People already have their anime MMO game.

I’d like the game to come out too, and I’d happy to be wrong, but I feel like PSO2 actively damages our chances of Dragon Quest X. People already have their anime MMO game.
I've played a bit of PSO2. They could not be more different.

10 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:
14 minutes ago, eal said:

I've played a bit of PSO2. They could not be more different.

It’s not necessarily about how they play, it’s that the MMO bubble burst years and years ago and trying to convince people that are dug into WoW or FFXIV or now PSO2, which people have been begging for forever, to give Dragon Quest X a go. It’s similar to the DQM:J situation, where people didn’t really need another Pokémon-esque game so it was likely that mostly Dragon Quest fans bought and played them.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

AB561212-3D9A-4D75-8589-7513BAF87AEA.jpeg

😛

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

AB561212-3D9A-4D75-8589-7513BAF87AEA.jpeg

😛

LOL, though in all seriousness, eal is right.  MMO's are a dime a dozen now, and depending on type, and presentation, only grow a certain amount.  Those who aren't playing are probably not going to play, either due to the cost or time investment.

Free-to-play models tend to be the most heavyset, however, the cost to get ahead, as they all have some Pay-2-Win mechanic in some capacity buried deep within, even if it's just items that cut down on down time/healing in between battles, or boost stats by a very small margin, it does add up over time in that one person who is spending money on those small items, and not just costumes, will be quite a few levels ahead of their friends who aren't.  As a result of the model, these games come and go, some older ones stick around because of long-standing players who have invested so much time in the early days, before MMO's were a big deal, and that game was the only one of its kind to exist, and almost every competitor is out of the market within 6 months to 3 years, depending on success.  There are other F2P games that just had a lot of backing from huge companies, and were able to float a bit until they could build up those core players that will always spend money and don't want to start over again on another server/game.

The bulk of F2P players move around a lot, but they typically only move within F2P games, and only to be with friends (and often only if they can be guaranteed free stuff when joining guilds), as they often don't have the money to spend, or don't care to spend ample time investing into the games.

----

However DQ10 fits into the Pay-to-Play model, which is infinitely better as a game, as you get the whole game up front, so long as the monthly is afforded.  This does create a problem.  As Eal notes, many of these core players have spent time and money, and while WoW might scare core players again to temporarily try out other games (and frankly, most of FF14's player base aren't FF11, they're disenfranchised WoW players who lost their character builds thanks to heavy nerfs, making their time investment into top tier equipment wasted, and build trees wasted, because Blizzard's form of balance is to rewrite the entire game and up-end every character).

However, Blizzard has learned from past mistakes.  They're more cautious about rebalancing.  So they're drawing back old players, keeping the core that never left, and staying steady with WoW.

Meaning there's right now very few people who can afford to, or who want to play P2P MMO's to draw from.  After that, it's, as Eal mentioned, the artistic style of DQ, which is very hit and miss.  Anime watchers are one thing, game players are something else.  Anime-based games typically do poorly outside Japan, with VERY few exceptions.  Couple that with being an MMO, and having a monthly fee.  So it's very time consuming, it's a forever game, and there's always the worry that even if you like it, but life calls you away, will your characters still be present, or will the server's shut down?

It's not just F2P games that pop in and out, it's also P2P.  I don't know what the ratios are anymore, as I no longer pay attention to MMO news, and I don't play MMO's (if I do, I'd just go back to Ragnarok Online, as I have over 15 years of time invested in that game, unless I end up with a girl who loves MMO's, but doesn't like RO).

So it's very risky.

There are other issues as well:

• Gameplay style, where DQ10 is a hybrid game, that uses FF12's system, so it's essentially FF11 and 14 with some tweaks and a DQ-style menu.  Contrasting that with PSO2, which has the luck of being Action RPG gameplay, and is confined Action RPG in that it uses auto-targeting rather than pure player movement, makes it far more approachable versus DQ10's style of gameplay.  That said most MMO's use a hybrid system, so for MMO's, that would actually benefit DQ10, as its approach would feel far more at home than PSO2.
  • End-game approach, where DQ10 is going to turn off a LOT of players like myself, once they see decked out players taking 90~150% health in a single shot from a boss of the previous release, let alone the current release.  Making certain skill/spells/equipment/items more critical, and making for an experience where getting optimal gear has little meaning outside of offense in a boss battle.  That's not engrossing.  I know some people here like it, but I can't see myself feeling good about spending time getting top-tier gear and getting pwned in one hit if I'm not properly prepared, and don't have a party.  A LOT, and I mean MOST MMO players like the ability to solo with any class, once they've hit their markers for gear, top level, and skill development.  Even if they party almost all the time.  It's more fun knowing your work paid off in spades by pwning stuff that used to pwn you.  HOWEVER, I will say that it would draw in a different type of MMO player, but that person must be willing to try DQ10.
  • To double down on the previous point.  What is the fun of playing a tank, that when it counts, is just as squishy as a glass cannon class (if one is taking 80% health, the other is taking 220% health, that's kind of pointless that one is taking so much damage that all a tank can do is barely survive)?
  • Monthly cost and speed of growth (how long does it take to get a character to max level).  DQ10, from what I've read is actually a positive here, as it's a steady race, but the game isn't designed around end-game alone, which is ALL that WoW is.  It's more like FF11 and 14.  That's a good thing, however, drawing away FF11 players who didn't join FF14, or FF14 players who are bored is going to be difficult given aesthetic and story-boarding.  FF's very direct and serious approach is the general model.  That said, everything I've read about DQ10, is it's the most serious DQ, and the least lighthearted, though not the darkest.  So that would bode well for it.
  • Team/Guild and Speech functionality.  How easy is it to communicate.  I'm not familiar with this.
  • Quest design, which is a positive from what I've read, but that's if you can get people in the door.
  • Graphical aesthetic, and I do not mean JUST anime.  I mean the actual feel and look of the overworld.  Comparing DQ10 to DQ11 is like comparing DQ7 to DQ8.  It's that much of a leap, even considering upgrades.  Sure it looks a lot better now, but the density and detail work doesn't compare, even if the texture models are a higher quality.  The world map design is well handled though, as is placement, and travel, plus regions and types of terrain are accounted for, so this bodes well, but it does mean a fair number of graphics whores will snug the game.  There's a reason WoW is constantly graphically updated, with environments made more dense, models made more complex.  It doesn't have to look photo-realistic, but it does have to show an attempt to look like HD anime, which DQ11 proved is very possible (as did Ni No Kuni 2).

I do wish DQ10 well, and I do hope it comes out.  Not for me, but for those who want to see it come here.  It would be nice if SE offered those who are playing in Japan a server transfer at no charge.  A FULL server transfer.

Edited by ignasia
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

8D896EBF-6987-4898-A72C-34EB01F169F5.jpeg.10e9f806e09947cfdd9290dce7c20c51.jpeg

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

• Gameplay style, where DQ10 is a hybrid game, that uses FF12's system

Disagree. Strongly. I've played and beaten FF12 and I'd say while there are similarities, it's not FF12's system. Nope. It's DQIX to its core, with an ATB.
  • Like 1

End-game approach, where DQ10 is going to turn off a LOT of players like myself, once they see decked out players taking 90~150% health in a single shot from a boss of the previous release, let alone the current release.  Making certain skill/spells/equipment/items more critical, and making for an experience where getting optimal gear has little meaning outside of offense in a boss battle.  That's not engrossing.  I know some people here like it, but I can't see myself feeling good about spending time getting top-tier gear and getting pwned in one hit if I'm not properly prepared, and don't have a party.  A LOT, and I mean MOST MMO players like the ability to solo with any class, once they've hit their markers for gear, top level, and skill development.  Even if they party almost all the time.  It's more fun knowing your work paid off in spades by pwning stuff that used to pwn you.  HOWEVER, I will say that it would draw in a different type of MMO player, but that person must be willing to try DQ10.

After playing and beating the Version 1.0 boss, I'm actually at a complete loss of what this means. I had some low level equipment, level 25 stuff on my level 50 Warrior and the final boss was doing nowhere near the damage you said. I can do quests to get better gear and do more damage or have better defense, but I survived just fine with a party I formed from rented characters. I didn't have to wait in queues like I hear people talk about in other MMOs to get a party and do stuff. I'd you're talking about end-game end-game like Version 5+, honestly I find that quite silly. Worrying about the 10% that will ever get that far before it's even come out is way too premature.

Man Square and Enix should have never merged. Maybe then we'd get a DQ announcement.

Posted (edited)

Iggy, have you *played* X? Some of your points seem pretty far off.

Most of X is easier than XI without Draconian Quest settings. There are some difficult bosses and some very challenging "bonus" stuff, but as far as the story goes it's soooo easy. It's a bit of a time sink but it's worthy of your time. Imagine DQXI but you can party up with others kind of like IX, and your turns in battle are determined by an invisible timer rather than a set order.

DQX isn't a typical MMO. For all the people here who absolutely love VIII, IX and XI I can't for the life of me understand why they completely dismiss X. It doesn't feel like an MMO at all. It's just like any other DQ game but other people exist. You don't even have to interact with others if you don't want.

You *can* grind for god-tier equipment, but it's not necessary unless you've already done all the story content and are just going after the extra strong bosses. Especially if you do play with other people, because usually there will be *someone* in your party who is massively OP.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero
  • Like 2

Yeah I'll second what others have said. The biggest reason why I want DQX to come over is because it is absolutely nothing like you're typical MMO. Most of the things you've described@ignasia do not apply to DQX.

• Like 1

In game chat is relegated to relatively short messages, but more can be said in Japanese than in English with the space we're given. I bet an official localization would up the message size limit at least a bit. Either way, it's totally usable.

There is no native voice chat but in a world of Steam, Discord, TeamViewer, etc. it's really not a problem. If I'm playing with a group that has mics we can use another program, and I have no desire to hear 1000 randos eating their mics in a town square.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

For all the people here who absolutely love VIII, IX and XI I can't for the life of me understand why they completely dismiss X.

Probably because it’s not available in English. That MAY have something to do with it. 😜

• Upvote 1

That explains why people aren't currently playing it, but does not explain people saying "it's an MMO I don't want it to come out here".

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

That explains why people aren't currently playing it, but does not explain people saying "it's an MMO I don't want it to come out here".

Word.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

Are there people who don’t want it to come out here? Some, like myself, have said why it probably won’t happen, but I think we all want more Dragon Quest game, especially one we can all play together as a community. I want it, I just don’t think it’s likely.

Edited by eal