My older sister bought an Switch lite recently and I wanna indoctrinate her into DQ-ism by buying her the the Switch compliation of the original trilogy as a gift.

But I heard that compliation of the first 3 games are bad. Is that true?

They aren't "bad". They aren't as good as they should've been though. The framerate is kinda...laggy when moving around and the smoothed over sprites don't match the environments, I feel.

But they're still probably a better way to play than the mobile ports.

But if you want to introduce her to DQ, why not buy her XI?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, AustNerevar said:

They aren't "bad". They aren't as good as they should've been though. The framerate is kinda...laggy when moving around and the smoothed over sprites don't match the environments, I feel.

But they're still probably a better way to play than the mobile ports.

I’ll have to echo this. It’s a bit distracting the character sprites are redrawn but the maps/overworlds are based on the Super Famicom remakes, but the Switch versions are a good way to experience DQ1, 2, and 3 as of now.

I’m always going to prefer the Super Famicom version of DQ3 or the GBC version, but I found the Switch version of it and the other two very enjoyable.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

But if you want to introduce her to DQ, why not buy her XI?

I'm of the opinion that DQXI isn't as enjoyable unless you finish the original trilogy first which isn't why I haven't played DQXI despite owning it myself. I haven't beat DQIII for SFC yet.

Edited by DragonQuest2IsGood
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

1 - looks kind of goofy with the super chibi model, but it's the easiest way to play.  It does suck that stats are fixed, but then they were with the mobile version.  The NES/SNES/GBC/Wii versions all had a series of fixed stat growths based on the numerical value of the name.  Some were outright horrible, one was great in every category, and the rest were either more MP or more HP, with varying degrees of Agility+Natural Defense, or Strength, where you'd get the high's of A+D and low of S, or vice versa.  Now it's a fixed stat, the most balanced stat growth, not the optimal, which works.  It's MUCH faster getting to cap, and thus a very smooth ride, with very little grinding.  So for that reason I'd say it's a A+ version.

2 - it's based on the mobile version, meaning it's the best version.  Mobile doesn't fix the Cannock bug (make sure to get that leaf of the world tree to him when he takes sick), but it does three things that change the nature of the game to make it much more approachable and balanced:

• More levels for Cannock and Moonbrooke to match Middenhall's level cap.  This means they'll actually gain levels faster, and so get to spells a bit earlier.
  • Stat growth is jacked up, especially for Cannock.  They're MUCH stronger, ala DQ4's DS/Mobile remake (not quite on that scale, but it's a noticeable increase in general stats).
  • The game enforces finding the crests, and really pushes for it.  I don't recall if it has a tracker of sorts, but it does have several instances that remind players they need to get them, and more NPC dialogue related to the main quest.

3 - it's a good version.  It's not the best (my favourite is split between GBC and SFC).  It's probably the most balanced, as you'll speed through levels at a faster pace than previous games.  Seed farming is a little easier because of it.  There are no monster animations in battle, so that's a bummer.  There're no pachisi tracks, which sucks as the SFC/GBC tracks were some of the best in the series history (not overtly brokenly stupid hard and RNG unfriendly like DQ5's final two).  I've gotten used to the models now, but they're not my favourite.  The chibi-style really stands out here as well, less so in 2 for some reason...but it's easy to get used to.  Just interesting that characters now have larger models than NPC's, which really stands out in this version.  The colour palette being so bright is one of my least favourite things in the modern conventions (thank god DQ7 3DS's past was dark), and this really stands out in Alefgard in this version (the mobile used SNES graphics, so it looks better).  However, it's the most accessible.  By far, as it requires the least grinding of any version.  So you can just coast through, no problem.

Edited by ignasia
  • Like 3

Ok so I ordered the game on play asia on the 1st and I'm wondering when it's gonna come. How long does it take from packages from this service to deliver?

• Like 1

DQXI is still playable, but there's a bunch of Easter eggs and references throughout the game that you'd appreciate more if you at least played DQIII.

I'm playing Dragon Warrior III (NES) at the moment with my 3 year old son, as we've beaten I and II together (with me handling most of the grinding on the side.) Though the "definitive edition" of this game for me will always be the SFC version. It contains the monster animations in battle and pachisi tracks that were stripped from the mobile version (and every subsequent port, including this Switch one). Every remake of DQIII that doesn't have monster animations in battle is a step down, for me, regardless of whatever graphic updates are made. It really amps up the battles to have the monsters actually moving (a feature which was first introduced in DQVI, if we're talking Dragon Quest Firsts!)

It can take quite a while in my experience if you didn't pay for the expedited shipping.

38 minutes ago, Woodus said:

It can take quite a while in my experience if you didn't pay for the expedited shipping.

How many weeks?

Posted (edited)

The Japanese version of DQ XI was the last thing I ordered, I don't remember how long it took, sorry.

I take that back, I ordered the DQ I, II, III from them for switch, and was able to go back and check my order, it shipped on 2019-10-24 and arrived on my doorstep 2019-11-07

So it took 2 weeks

Edited by Woodus

How many weeks?
More than a few. And more nowadays compared to 2019.

It really amps up the battles to have the monsters actually moving (a feature which was first introduced in DQVI, if we're talking Dragon Quest Firsts!)

Redeeming factor 1 of 3.

17 minutes ago, DragonQuest2IsGood said:

How many weeks?

In my experience, it can be a variable. I’ve gotten some things slightly over a month, other things in two weeks. But like Platty said, it’s almost pointless to try and answer this question because 2020 is a mess in general in regards to shipping, overseas shipping especially.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I got it and I'm about 25 hours into DQ III. I absolutely love it. 

I may be overly optimistic, but any downsides are way outweighed with the absolute blast I'm having. 

I cant, unfortunately, comment on 1 and 2. 

• Like 1

It came in the mail yesterday and the case was in Chinese but the game was in English.

• Like 1

It came in the mail yesterday and the case was in Chinese but the game was in English.
Yeah well, that's cause it's an Asian release
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AustNerevar said:

Yeah well, that's cause it's an Asian release emoji14.png

It should be an NA release 

It should be an NA release 

Nobody got a physical release except for some South East Asian countries because they don't have access to digital purchases.

It would be a strange day when NA got a physical release of something that never got a physical release in JP.

2 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

Yeah well, that's cause it's an Asian release emoji14.png

My case is in English. International version I guess. 

There wasn't an international release. Do mind uploading a picture of case? Just curious.

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

13 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:
35 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

There wasn't an international release. Do mind uploading a picture of case? Just curious.

There’s a customized cover slip for the Switch version where people made mock up English version covers. My guess is CPR’s copy (depending on where he ordered it from) had said customized slip already put in it.

Etsy has customized cover slips you can buy, so whoever sold CPR his may have replaced the original Chinese/South Asia cover with the Etsy one.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/723958204/dragon-quest-123-collection-custom

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

18 hours ago, AustNerevar said:
19 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

https://www.amazon.com/DRAGON-QUEST-COLLECTION-MULTI-LANGUAGE-ASIA-Nintendo/dp/B07Z321B4J/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=dragon+quest+switch&qid=1594825801&sr=8-3

It showed up looking exactly like this. 

All text on the back cover is English as well. I'll try to remember to snap a pic when I get home.