Anyone (still) playing DQ Rivals?

I have played exactly 3 minutes of it on Switch. I should give it another shot.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Slimeknight said:

Is there a Western localization?

No.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I loaded it up today. Put in almost 3 hours actually. I read Jay's thing on the Den a few days ago, but had forgotten it all, so working my way through all the character tutorials and such. Of course it's a gacha game, so there's different currencies although I don't exactly know what you use them for. I've spent some gold on cards, but what good they are... unsure. Picking what hero I am for the battle gives me a predetermined deck of cards. I suppose somewhere I can change that later?

Not to go into a ton of detail explaining, but basically you're a hero vs another hero with a deck of card battle. There are 6 spots in front of you to place monster cards on. You can have weapons and use support items too - those are the 3 types of cards. Most cards cost MP to use. Battles start you with 1 MP the first round and each round from then on max MP goes up by one. MP regens every round, so basically you want to use it all every round. There's a tension meter to build to your special skill. It takes 3 tension to get there. A coin flip at the beginning of the match has you either go first with 3 cards or go second with 4 cards and 2 tension. I love going second! When you first see your cards, you can immediately decide to trade some in before the match starts. This is handy if you've only got high MP cards. Starting with a monster card that takes 8MP to summon sucks because it's going to be 8 rounds before you can do that!

When you play a monster card, you can't attack with it until the next round. Different monster cards have cool abilities. Some have haste so you can attack with it the round you play it. Fun others I've seen:
Some red rat spawns a less powerful rat in between turns. The red goopi hand thing splits into 3 identical ones which is convenient because 3 monsters typically form a wall so enemies can't directly attack your hero. Some monsters build or form a wall just by themselves, making just that 1 in play enough to protect the hero. The Slime Knight is neat becuase when he dies, he doesn't just disappear, he turns into a slime.

I started mainly with Erik. He gets a card that let's me swipe cards from the opponents deck. His tensioned up attack doesn't seem like anything special, but maybe I'm using it wrong. Think I have him up to level 6 just by doing lots of bronze level battles.

Torneko Taloon has proven amazing to play as. I've gone completely through his tutorial and love his deck. He mainly is there to support/boost up the monsters he plays. His tension up move is to open a treasure chest with seeds in it. Most seeds have 0 MP cost to use and will boost either attack or HP or both of a monster in play. He also has boss cards Orgo from DQ7 and the Dragonlord. Orgo is just strong and awesome when boosted by seeds, only had a chance to summon Dragonlord a couple times. Once after my turn, I'm sure how it happened, but he offered Terry half the world (from what I could translate quickly) and I think Terry accepted. It faded to black, Terry died and I won. Laughed at that!

One that that stalls me at first glance are the menus in this game. I don't know why but these Dragon Quest apps always have an overabundance of options.

• Like 1
One that that stalls me at first glance are the menus in this game. I don't know why but these Dragon Quest apps always have an overabundance of options.

It's insane. And of course there are pop-ups galore immediately! 

I finished off the Erik and Psaro the Last Name Slayer this morning. Erik's tutorial is odd in that there are only 4 battles. Every other of the 8 playable people have 6 battles each. Psaro has some damn cool abilities and monsters at his disposable. His special tension calls up a monster and he has cards to boost max MP.

There are TONS of tutorials it looks like. I'm going to make my way through all 8 character-specific ones and then there 3 other sections of tutorials too.

Ranking so far: Psaro > Taloon > Erik

1 hour ago, AustNerevar said:

This is a problem with mobile games, specifically gacha games, in general.

• Upvote 1

DQM Super Light had that issue but had the virtue of being an enjoyable game so I got into it. DQ Stars has that issue as well but it feels more like a chore to keep up with everything.

• Like 1

Erik's tutorial is shorter because he was added later. And while yeah, there are a bunch of different currencies, they pretty much all go into getting more cards. Some cards are exclusive to certain characters, like Hendrick can only be used by Terry, for example. It be too much to breakdown all the different mechanics they've added over time, but if any of you are interested, I'll answer questions to the best of my ability.

• Like 1

Hey@jay

Is there 1 main "story" made to play through? I've been assuming that's what the bronze thing with stars under it in the center of the screen is.

Also, can you customize your deck in that mode?

Played through Nara & Angelo's tutorial today. Nara I didn't like at all. Bleh. Too much support stuff. There was one time I lost a tutorial battle. I had zero monsters on the board, zero in my hand, and 8 support cards. Later on I got a cool red dragon card that both pretty much drops a bomb on an enemy when summoned and is really powerful, but that's pretty much all I liked about her: 1 card.

Angelo on the other hand is AWESOME. Great monster selection, including Grandmaster Nimzo (who summons an ally each turn). His special tension power is to heal his party and himself (multiheal), and there are healing cards and some of his monsters get boosted attack when they get healed. It's a great deck. Liked it so much I finished off the bronze level battles and started the silver ones with him despite me having a lot more tutorials to do.

Had an interesting thing happen. Was fighting Terry and he had 22 HP still, but 0 monsters to my full 6. Thought I'd beat him the next round. Then he summoned the huge double bone dragon dude from DQXI. Thought I might be in trouble, but he instantly died. No message, nothing. His HP went to 0 and game over. Haha, no clue.

Ranking so far: Angelo > Psaro > Taloon > Erik > Nara

9 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Hey@jay

Is there 1 main "story" made to play through? I've been assuming that's what the bronze thing with stars under it in the center of the screen is.

Also, can you customize your deck in that mode?

The bronze thing with the Stars is Ranked Play with other real people. There will be a story mode coming in the near future though. As for changing your deck: on the main menu, tap the cards, and than the suitcase. Here's an image

20200616_153144_copy_816x612.jpg

• Like 1

This is actually the best time to give the game a try if you're on the fence. From now until June 30th, you can use any card, whether you own it or not.

• Like 1

I blame Jay. Now I lose half the time at battles against others. Haha. I'd won like 10 in a row before he told me I was actually playing people, not some story mode. I think I need to head back to the tutorials. I do enjoy the gameplay, but I absolutely can't stand playing games against or with others. It's like my solo DQX journey, just let me play with & against AI. There's a simplicity there I enjoy.

8 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

I blame Jay. Now I lose half the time at battles against others. Haha. I'd won like 10 in a row before he told me I was actually playing people, not some story mode. I think I need to head back to the tutorials. I do enjoy the gameplay, but I absolutely can't stand playing games against or with others. It's like my solo DQX journey, just let me play with & against AI. There's a simplicity there I enjoy.

I suck at this game. Also didn't know I was playing at others. I didn't win any of them though.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Sorry...haha. did I mention we're getting a single player mode sometime in July?

• Like 1
Sorry...haha. did I mention we're getting a single player mode sometime in July?
True, I do recall! OK, gives me a reason to finish the tutorials. I've been without & I'll be without reliable internet for 2 more weeks anyway so it makes playing take a while. Sometimes cards pause while loading.

That's weird. I haven't had any issues. Are the crashes random, or after doing something in particular?

That's weird. I haven't had any issues. Are the crashes random, or after doing something in particular?
I thought it was random, but I think I've narrowed it down. It seems like just when I click the parchment now. dd0102be73c0e4732112afb4ac8fff3d.jpg

Finished up the first set of tutorials. Holy crap, didn't realize how deep the other sets of tutorials go. There's another set for all 7 characters that has like 7ish battles each again! Finished it up in the car yesterday & couldn't easily grab the phone to translate so I'll try later to see what the next one entails.

Yes, it's quite extensive. Some of them are less tutorial and more puzzle. So if that's your cup of tea, go for it. Also, each month, that little gate with the Stars resets so keep that in mind when it happens next week haha.

• Like 1