I was thinking about the idea of DQXII having a customizable protagonist like in DQIX but your party members are uncustomizable predefined characters like in DQXI. Would this be a good idea?

I think they should at least let all the equipments be visibe like IX and X, and maybe add the option to show the character's default outfit.

• Like 1

I’m gonna be quite honest. Considering the fact that Dragon Quest has stuck with a silent protagonist for so long, it’s kinda bizarre to me that they didn’t keep up with the trend of the last two games and have a fully customizable Hero in XI, especially when you realize how bland the actual character design for the Hero is. He looked like he was made with a character creator.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I can go without a fully customizable hero. After playing stuff like Dark Souls and Monster Hunter and the like, having a character you can fully design loses meaning when a large amount of the armor hides whatever you made in the first place! 🤣

I’m not against games having customizable heroes, and if the next DQ game had a fully customizable hero, then sure, I would welcome it. I’ve just learned that going all out in a character creator can be lost just like that, so remember to K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid).

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

It would be a really good idea. The ostensible point of a silent protagonist is to represent the player… so allowing the player to actually design their avatar makes sense. Even a very limited character creator, like IX, can go a long way.

At the very least, they should give the player a choice of a male or female hero.

3 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I can go without a fully customizable hero. After playing stuff like Dark Souls and Monster Hunter and the like, having a character you can fully design loses meaning when a large amount of the armor hides whatever you made in the first place! 🤣

It does seem silly to be able to make an extremely detailed character just to hide it under armor, but, the time spent customizing it, especially if you can get it to resemble you, can give the player a deeper connection with the character before the game really even begins.

6 hours ago, GrandAlchemist said:

It does seem silly to be able to make an extremely detailed character just to hide it under armor, but, the time spent customizing it, especially if you can get it to resemble you, can give the player a deeper connection with the character before the game really even begins.

I never make it look like myself. I usually base my Monster Hunter characters after a DQ character or in Dark Souls I just make an interpretation of what Greirat the Thief would look like under his Thrall Mask he’s forced to wear.

I don’t like trying to interest myself into games anymore. That’s not why I’m ho hum about a character creator though.

I don't mind starting with a default, but let me change clothes & hair later with equipment!

If all it took for people to not care about what their character looked like was the knowledge that you’ll be swapping out your clothes for new armor throughout the game, no game would have a character creator. It’s not like a Dragon Quest character creator would look amazing. IX was really bare bones and a lot of games with an anime aesthetic have very limited options when they offer it, but to quote Ben Judd during the Mighty No. 9 launch livestream, “even if it’s not perfect, it’s better than nothing.”

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

I don't mind starting with a default, but let me change clothes & hair later with equipment!

Don’t worry Platty, they’ll be sure to have a DQ11 hair option just for you. We all know how much you love it anyway. 🤣

• Like 1

I for one hope we will get neither. 🤔

Design is meant to mean something, be it the stance of the characters, their clothes, their hair, everything is meant to inspire or reflect its bearer's persona. 

However, I wouldn't mind keeping the same possibility from XI, to have alternative costumes for all characters. Costumes that would not be impacted by the gears and other pieces of armor they can equip. Weapons and shields however, I like to see them. 🤔

19 hours ago, Billy MK said:

I think they should at least let all the equipments be visibe like IX and X, and maybe add the option to show the character's default outfit.

This. I don't *need* to customize my character, and I've never outfitted my characters to make them "look cool". But in a world where I've played IX and X it stands out as obvious now that the characters in XI almost never wash or even change their clothes. I just can't ignore it. If I change my equipment, the character model should reflect that.

• Like 1

I love the ability to Customize my hero, so I'm going to say yes. 

But obviously if the character design is preset, it's not going to keep me from playing the hell out of the game. 

The customization in X is really good though even if the character creator isn't to the level of some western ones. Once you unlock the hair color quests and start learning to dye your armor/weapons it's easy to come up with some really unique designs.

Posted (edited)

My DQIX avatar is really kawaii. She's a pink haired girl with cute pigtails and a big smile.

Edited by DragonQuest2IsGood