How to take on the Legendary bosses

What strategies, such as food and moves, are best for each Legendary boss? What prerequisites do they need, such as player levels and equipment/recommended stats?

For multiplayer, I've generally seen the combo meal for the event used. For single player, I'm not as sure which food to use. (Hot Dogs and Bread Loaves give nice HP boosts, but that might not be the best option for some bosses.)

Currently my party is a Level 96 Battlemaster, a level 90 Superstar, and a once-revocated+19 Sage. I have a few really good pulls- a Rubiss staff, a Light Armor, a Sun Crown, and some other good stuff- max-evolved Battle God armor for example. I've been able to defeat some of the legendaries, but they get tougher as they go, and I've had mixed results.

Legendaries also come with some fights before the boss, but they're nowhere near as strong as the final boss generally. Just make sure to heal, and pay attention to which ones do reaction attacks, like Aamon doing Kaswoosh whenever he loses a bar of health, and you should be fine on those.

Below are my notes on what I've learned by just stumbling blind into fighting these bosses. Not really a good guide or anything, just some first approximation notes on strategy- if anyone else has advice to handle these better, I'd love to hear more!

----------------------------------------------

Dragonlord:
No legendary fight exists AFAIK. : ( There's a Hero-class fight, but he's not so strong. Just make sure to defend as soon as he goes to his second form if you're a weaker character, because he does Dark Breath right away; then deal damage as often as you can as quick as you can. Maybe defend right before his Scorch meter fills (about the 3/4 mark is good), because when his anger is high that can do a lot of damage. Pretty easy though.

Hargon/Malroth:
The big threat here is mostly his reaction attack when his HP meter is empty, "Dark God's Howl" which usually stuns everyone followed by "Dark God's Bolt" which does a good chunk of Zap damage to the party. This is fairly manageable to heal, and if you understand reaction attacks you can plan around it. A character with an advanced vocation in the 50s has some chance of surviving this with adequate healing and preparation.

Also, if you have a spell-blocking shield such as the Metal Slime Shield or Rubiss Shield, it blocks Dark God's Bolt entirely.

The other thing that's nasty about Malroth is that when he's nearly defeated, he may try to cast Fullheal, so finish off his final bar of health as quickly as you can. I found him pretty easy with my party, who were in the 80s when I first fought him a couple weeks ago.

Baramonster:
Baramonster has two helpers, a Gate Guardian and a Phoenix. Target the Phoenix first- it casts Kabuff and Multiheal and some other bad stuff. fortunately these helpers don't seem to come back when killed.

Baramonster himself does Confuse and Devour the Confused, similar to Baramos' Soul (AKA Baramos Bomus from DWIII). It might help to bring Angel Bells so you can cure party members of confusion, but I haven't really found this necessary. Mostly, I just stay healed up and do as much damage as possible. Baramonster doesn't have any reaction attacks, so if you're high enough level you can really cut loose on this fight, and it's pretty easy-ish. Make sure to heal whenever you think you need to, but he isn't going to suddenly spring anything super deadly on you as far as I can tell.

Zoma:
This is where reaction attacks really become no joke. You generally DO NOT want to deal multiple bars of health worth of damage to him or you will probably get killed. He does Kacrack fairly often on a gauge, so if you have any spell-blocking shields those are a big help here; but every reaction attack he also does C-C-Cold Breath, which does a ton of damage if you're not defending. Make sure to heal up after this before he loses another bar. However, he will also heal a little bit as he fights you, so you can't take too long fighting him either (plus you don't want to take too many turns if you're trying to get all three goals met).

Zoma will also periodically use a move that targets a single party member with Ruin, which causes them to periodically lose HP (sort of a reverse Reheal). That party Member should probably try to work in an extra Defend action (just don't waste your chance to defend before he loses his next bar of Health. It's a really, really good idea to level a nice shield up to level 10 Defend with armor skill orbs if you can afford to.) Someone should also try to heal this party member after the Ruin damages them a couple times.

On his last round, Zoma will seriously mess you up because he inflicts Ruin on the whole party. You probably cannot heal fast enough to keep up with this, and he's still going to whip out a Kacrack soon, so if at all possible, just unleash with a combo attack of everything your party's got to kill him as quickly as possible. A heal can be worth it if someone is too close to dying and you haven't got your attacks ready, but try to be quick about finishing him off if you want to survive. Remember you can also whip out an item, such as a Special Medicine, to heal more quickly than a spell and without draining any gauges- that's probably the best way to heal during this round.

You're probably going to have a bad time with Zoma if you aren't level 70 or above, I'd think, but you might get away with a weaker character in multiplayer if there's also a good healer in the party.

Zoma and his underlings have a low chance of dropping a fiend-class Zoma key. I think this is the only way to get his fiend-class key, and the first fiend-class battle in the game. I haven't been brave enough to take on any Fiend Class fights yet. Fiend Class fights drop cool boss-themed equipment, like if you've ever seen somebody in multiplayer with one of those Zoma shields or Estark armor (although it's brown, so really I'd say it's more like Psaro the Manslayer's first form, even though I'm pretty sure it's dropped by Fiend Class Estark. Then again, DQV has a brown Estark instead of blue anyway, so who even knows).

Estark:
Hoo boy. This one feels like they deliberately dropped in a stronger boss from later on, but he does have the virtue of being predictable once you've seen the fight a few times. Basically, Estark will change how he attacks whenever he loses a bar of health (in addition to a reaction attack, so like Zoma, you want to defend before he goes down a bar). I can't remember his moves quite as well, but basically, you want to get through the bar of health where he uses Armor-Smashing Light and Weapon-Smashing Light pretty quickly if you can, because he whips out those two gauge attacks over and over pretty quickly during that bar. He also gets pretty nasty in his final bar though. I think I managed to beat him, but I'm honestly a little fuzzy on how I did it. Lots of healing and defending.

Estark will give you a fiend class key for a perfect clear, which is easier done in multiplayer where you can have a proper combo meal and whatnot.

Psaro Banesword:
He isn't as strong, but he has a weird bag of tricks to mess with you. He'll periodically prevent you from using any items for a while, he has reaction attacks, and he has a move that seems to hit everybody with some different effects. Unlike Baramonster, you need to worry about his reaction attacks much like Zoma and Malroth. Unlike Zoma, he isn't super duper strong though, so you might be able to take him on with weaker characters if you're careful.

I haven't figured out a reliable strategy on him and all of his moves as clearly yet, but I've gotten by okay on just healing and watching out for the reaction attacks. Just make sure you're not relying solely on items to heal.

Generously, the event treasure maps give you fiend class keys for both Psaro forms for beating the legendaries (so you don't have to perfect clear them, or luck into drops).

Psaro the Manslayer:
This is where I fall apart (even at my current levels). His first form's not so bad- he doesn't have any reaction attacks until the last bar of health, so if you do enough damage to him in a combo you can actually avoid that reaction attack, which is Hellslash (hits the whole party for a bunch of damage). He targets a single party member to hit them a bit more. Just get through the first form quickly with attack spells and stuff, try to do a strong combo attack (all at once, as quick as possible so he can't squeeze an attack in) when going down to the last bar to skip Hellslash if you can, and heal up.

But his second form... yeesh. He casts Bounce, meaning that you can't hit him with attack spells (except Puff, that one deals Breath Damage and isn't affected by Bounce). Maybe if you use the Zenithian Wave from the Zenithian Sword to remove his Bounce you can get away with it, if you have time for that sorta move (and have the sword). He has C-C-Cold Breath reaction attacks just like Zoma. He uses Inferno on a gauge to hit the whole party with some Fire breath, which wouldn't be so bad. This stuff is all workable if you understand it.

But what makes this guy a nightmare is his "Shining Darkness" attack. This isn't on a gauge and isn't a reaction attack- I can't figure out what determines when he'll use it.  Maybe it's always right after Inferno, or maybe I just have bad luck. It deals about 180 damage to everybody. Healing quickly enough from this, especially before he attacks again, especially while doing enough damage to kill him and being prepared for the reaction attacks there... it's too much for me unless I just get lucky. Does anyone know a good strategy for this?

Some foods reduce Darkness damage, like Hot Crisps or Tropical Soda, but I'm pretty sure I only have those from randomly finding them in the Food key dungeon. They might be a good trick to surviving Shining Darkness.

Spirit Dragon:
He does full-party paralysis attacks really often, meaning you won't get to move. The event description recommended bringing Spaghetti, which reduces the chance of getting paralysed, but this seemed to have so-so results from what I saw. Tomato Spaghetti is a bit better if you get a great success crafting that, but it only helps so much. Basically, this fight seems to be more about whipping out your best attacks or healing whenever you can in brief bursts of getting to move. I think he does the paralysis attacks again as a reaction attack when he loses a bar of health, too, so if you have enough people free at once to do a combo attack, try to go for that.  Other than that I didn't figure out a great strategy for this battle.

I haven't gotten one, but I think there's a chance of the Spirit Dragon dropping a fiend-class key for the Xenlon dragon (from Dragon Ball the DQIII remakes). I suspect it works like Zoma, where you just need to get a lucky drop from the legendary fight.

Ladja:
I can't remember what he did very well, sorry. I do remember that like Psaro Banesword and Baramonster, he wasn't as tough as the real final bosses.

Nimzo:
Arrrrrrgh. This guy does Bounce (and keeps raising it again almost as soon as it wears off). He does Inferno on a gauge. He does "Death Tail" not on a gauge, similar to Shining Darkness where it just hits everybody with no clearly-telegraphed warning, although it does seem to happen at regular intervals (which Shining Darkness might, too); Death Tail is straight up physical attack. He does lots of damage to you very quickly and isn't putting up with any of your spell attacks.

But worst of all, he heals himself, for a LOT of HP- like 999 HP. Really often. So you HAVE to be killing him quickly. And yes, he has reaction attacks like everybody else, of course.

I had no hope against this guy and have no clue what to do. If this is how legendary bosses from now on are gonna be, I'm in trouble, and have much to learn XD

So, does anyone know more about this topic?

I haven't been doing too many of the Legendary ones, I can barely make the Hero ones, but I don't put a bunch of strategy into it either. I just hack/combo away and maybe use a gem revive here or there. Thanks for the writeup though, I may have to attempt some of these with your notes. :thumbsup: