Sign in to follow this  
Xiggy

How to datamine artworks

Hello y'all! I don't know if this is something we're free to discuss around here, but I was curious to know if there were methods to somewhat "hack" the game to extract artworks for the characters, and maybe the backgrounds that shows towns whenever the characters are talking.

I've seen DQ wiki had lots of them, and I was curious to know how to do it myself, so I could replicate this and extract artworks from other mobile games (Monster Parade, Superlight...)

If this kind of topic isn't really authorized I'm sorry in advance. :'D

This is how I did it for DQotS

I installed DQotS onto the BlueStacks emulator, copied the program's files to my computer via FTP and then used AssetStudio to scan the files and extract items - https://github.com/Perfare/AssetStudio/releases

There might be an easier way to copy files from bluestacks to the local PC but I didn't have any luck when I tried.

Is there something specific you are looking for, I may already have it extracted.

• Like 2

I'm curious, have you extracted any models from the game with these techniques? If so, i'm curious if the "Puff" dragon is just a green version of the Dragonlord model.

I was mostly looking for the named characters. Paula, her friend etc. The kings and queens, the heroes' father, Gryff and so on. 

As for the other mobile games (Monster Parade, Super Light, Walk...) mostly the monsters themselves (for SL), and the characters for the other two. :o

Thanks for the technique anyway! I'll be sure to try this. I suppose there is more file to get on the JP version of the game, right? 

I had at first tried to rename the apk file into a zip file, which did allowed me to access some stuff, but I had absolutely no idea what to look for as the files all had names that didn't make any sense to me. But I guess the game itself has to be loaded first, as it downloads lots of stuff on the net, am I correct? 

3 hours ago, Xiggy said:

I was mostly looking for the named characters. Paula, her friend etc. The kings and queens, the heroes' father, Gryff and so on. 

As for the other mobile games (Monster Parade, Super Light, Walk...) mostly the monsters themselves (for SL), and the characters for the other two. :o

Thanks for the technique anyway! I'll be sure to try this. I suppose there is more file to get on the JP version of the game, right? 

I had at first tried to rename the apk file into a zip file, which did allowed me to access some stuff, but I had absolutely no idea what to look for as the files all had names that didn't make any sense to me. But I guess the game itself has to be loaded first, as it downloads lots of stuff on the net, am I correct? 

Yeah, I forgot that part, I did the "full download" when you load the game where it says it makes the game run better, I am guessing a bunch is in there. Even with all that I haven't been able to find the timed event graphics (like the DQ IV event) graphics, so I wonder if it pulls those down each time you load the game.

• Like 1

I guess I'll see that for myself then haha

I'll look up what "FTP" stands for too. Shouldn't more complicated than hacking a 2DS, right? :'D

3 hours ago, Xiggy said:

I'll look up what "FTP" stands for too. Shouldn't more complicated than hacking a 2DS, right? :'D

FTP is file transfer protocol, usually used to upload files to a webserver. I had to setup an FTP server on my computer and then use an FTP program in the android emulator to copy the files that way. Bluestacks should be able to use some type of shared folders to copy directly to the PC but I haven't figured it out yet.

If you are looking for mainly the character art, here is a zip of it - http://www.woodus.com/den/games/dqstarsandios/files/chara.zip

Be warned if you are playing the game there are a bunch of characters in there we haven't seen yet.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mitsukara said:

I'm curious, have you extracted any models from the game with these techniques? If so, i'm curious if the "Puff" dragon is just a green version of the Dragonlord model.

There are 13,000+ objects that were exported, I will see if I can find those models and check

19 hours ago, Woodus said:

Be warned if you are playing the game there are a bunch of characters in there we haven't seen yet.

Oh don't worry, I spoiled myself of many already before the game was announced outside Japan. :D

Thanks a bunch for the zip file tho! Do you have any idea if the same technic will work with other DQ mobile games? Unfortunately my PC won't run BlueStack properly. I don't suppose one could somehow access these files directly from his phone, right? 

On 6/13/2020 at 7:12 AM, Xiggy said:

Oh don't worry, I spoiled myself of many already before the game was announced outside Japan. :D

Thanks a bunch for the zip file tho! Do you have any idea if the same technic will work with other DQ mobile games? Unfortunately my PC won't run BlueStack properly. I don't suppose one could somehow access these files directly from his phone, right? 

If your phone was rooted you might be able to, but I haven't rooted a phone since the DroidX way back when, and I have never tried to jailbreak an iPhone.

• Like 1