I just started playing DQIII and I thought it was super fun despite not even entering combat yet. But I had to stop because I don't know what classes I should choose to make a good party. 

I don't want to make a shitty one so I need some advice. Which classes should I choose?

Posted (edited)

What classes do you want to use/what ones are you afraid will make a “shitty team,” if put together? As long as you avoid the Goof-off/Jester/Gadabout class, you should be fine.

And the game recommends right away that, if you aren’t sure on a party, go with a Warrior, Cleric, and Mage. That’s the basic party but it’s a very solid one.

And there’s also Dharma Temple/Alltrades Abbey where characters can change classes once they hit level 20, so you can’t permanently screw yourself over. 

I’m sure whatever you want to use will be fine. I’ve replayed DQ3 many times with all kinds of team combinations, and other than some rough moments against enemies with high defense (mainly the crab and caterpillar monsters) I’ve never had any troubles in the game with whatever silly teams I come up with.

I’m sure @ignasia can give you some really detailed DQ3 info though if you don’t want to just try something, but again, whatever you pick should be fine.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

Yep, don't need a Goof Off and if you avoid 3 Clerics, you'll be good!

Posted (edited)

My team consists of:

Roto the honest hero, Lauren the honest mage, Lothar the eager warrior, and Gwaelin the alert cleric.

Edited by DragonQuest2IsGood

What version are you playing?

NES, SFC / GBC, or Mobile / Switch?  Yes, there is a slight difference in what I would recommend.  NES vs remakes is a total changeup due to stat growth and equipment.  SFC/GBC vs Mobile/Switch is based on equipment options.

The Fighter has a good chance for critical hits which is important for defeating Liquid Metal Slimes.

I've got the basic Lineup. 

I think in my GBC run, I had a Fighter/Martial Artist in there somewhere. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

I've got the basic Lineup. 

I think in my GBC run, I had a Fighter/Martial Artist in there somewhere. 

I remember doing the recommendation party my first playthrough. It was the GBC version and honestly I didn’t really know about the ability to create your own party from the second floor until much later, but I was fine with my group.

Nowadays I always try out a new combination of characters whenever I return to the game. Someday I’m going to try the dreaded 3 Gadabouts playthrough and write about it here on the Den, but I can’t stomach even seriously thinking about that kind of playthrough that right now. I’ve had bad luck with the Gadabout class in DQ3 the few times I have tried it, so I’m very cautious on it.

I will say that with DQ3, I will argue the Merchant is secretly a pretty good class. While the equipment selection isn’t as vast as a Warrior, I’ve found the Merchant to be a surprisingly strong party member, especially in terms of overall HP. I used one on my first run of the SNES version and he stayed in my party from the beginning to the end. Post game I finally decided I needed to change him up, but Leonardo the Merchant was a worthwhile ally, so much that whenever I make a new male Merchant in a playthrough I always name him Leonardo.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, DragonQuest2IsGood said:

I'm playing the SFC version.

Ok, then the equipment resistances are the same as in the Mobile/Switch (for your own future reference, in case you ever play either)...GBC is the only one with improved resistances.

First off, the question becomes, what do you want to do with the party?  Just beat Zoma, or do you want to also defeat Xenlon/God Dragon (Xenlon is the new official English name), the boss of the bonus dungeon?  After that, do you want to defeat full powered, no Light Orb Zoma?  That is the hardest battle in the game (and arguably the hardest DQ boss battle until DQ9's Level 99 Legacies)?

====

Just to get through Zoma:

• I recommend at least one class change each, which I'll assume you do (I don't recall your first post, not feeling like rereading it, so sorry if I'm stating things you've already declared you plan to do, I'm trying to get some game time in while things are quiet around here...too much work and not enough play makes Iggy a dull boy...FF7r and EO:N ftw)
  • You could probably do it with base tier classes, as in no class changes, then class change for the bonus boss.
  • I highly recommend everyone starts as a female for the female gear options (superior defense, especially late game, abusing the final 
  • If no Class changes, the best potential party is a Warrior/Thief/Fighter + Priest + Mage
  • If Class change, the best potential parties (and one that will carry through the bonus boss), are the following:

Early Easy Game, good offensive late (good for the post-game as well, but not Super Zoma):

1. Warrior (25~30, use the Zen Scroll) -> Sage  (Water Robe + Magic Shield, should sit in position 4 after change)
  2. Priest (32~34 minimum for Barrier/Insulatle, or 38~40 for Revive/Kazing) -> Warrior or Thief (Light Dress if female Warrior and Fighter below is male, else Blade/Swordedge Armour, for Thief go Dark Robe either sex or + Dragon Shield, should sit in position 2 after change)
  3. Wizard (21~23 Bikill/Oomph) -> Fighter (changing early is a positive given how slow Fighters level, and Fighters have a Critical hit rating of Level/256)...(Light Robe if female, Dark Robe if not, + Expel Shield)
  4. For the Priest, if the Wizard -> Fighter is a female, go either sex.  If the Fighter is a male, please seriously consider making this one a female to make life easier (as you'll want someone to gear up with the Light Robe, and the Sage is sufficient with the Water Robe...or you can go with the Dragon Robe, just realize the Dragon Robe has no magic resistance).
  5. So the line up early game will be Hero , Warrior , Priest , Wizard .... the line up late game will be Hero , Warrior/Thief , Fighter , Sage

More difficult beginning, but more dominant late game (will require some grinding however for Sage, great for the post-game, but not Super Zoma):

1. Thief (40+, whenever you're ready to turn the Sages to Fighters, abuse for some free items, like the Mysterious Hat to reduce magic costs for the Sage, use Zen to class change) -> Sage (Water Robe + Magic Shield)
  2. Jester x2 (20~23, anytime Luck is over 200) -> Sage x2 (38~40 for Revive/Kazing) -> Fighter x2
  3. At least one of the Fighters MUST be female, so she can gear up with the Light Robe, and give this same one the Expel Shield.  The other gets a Dark Robe.
  4. Fighters cannot gain any MP, even if you give Wisdom Seed.  Make sure to give ALL Wisdom Seeds to your two Sages -> Fighter, and while they're Sages, preferably late, as in their last level up, so if you haven't given them yet, and you have Revive, give them equally (save scum for +3 each time), then level up as a Sage to get the bonus and lock in a decent MP pool.
  5. SAVE all Mystic Nuts until post-class change, and I recommend giving them to your two Fighters after they're finished class changing.
  6. Your lineup will be Hero , Thief , Jester , Jester early game.  Mid-game it will be Hero Thief , Sage , Sage.  Late game it will be Hero , Fighter (w/Light Robe+Expel shield) , Sage , Fighter
  7. Skip fighting Kandar both times until the first class change for your two Jesters.  Then get a few levels under the Sage's belts, at least 12, and take on the first one for Romaly, then the second for the Black Pepper (it's odd, but he can actually be in two places at once if you skip doing his first iteration).
  8. Make sure to abuse the Pachisi tracks for all the items, ESPECIALLY the Boomerangs.  You'll want to abuse the Thief's ability to equip them to help clear up mobs.  So the Hero + Thief will be cleaning up and assuring your Hero won't have to cast magic for damage, but instead just to heal.
  9. Make sure your Hero has a personality that's geared towards high MP growth.  So if you have to equip an accessory, do so.  I recommend Smart Glasses, which you'll get for 35 Tiny Medals.

======

If you want to tackle Super Zoma, you'll want a Fighter + Fighter + Sage party, all Female, with everyone with Revive.  Both Fighters have at minimum 150 MP, 200+ is preferred.  Everyone has 510 HP minimum (so 255 Stamina), preferably over 700.  Everyone has 255 Strength and Agility, and the Sage and Hero have over 510 MP (so 255 Wisdom).

You'll want to use the Zipangu Pachisi track wish to then farm multiple Light Robe/Dresses.  Equipping everyone with them.  There's another Expel Shield to be found there, so your other Fighter will have that option as well.  You'll want a Falcon Bladed Sage and Hero, with Beast and Dragon Claws on the Fighters.

Minimum level of 60, 70+ is preferred, and 99 is optimal for maximum Fighter output.  Do note that Bikill/Oomph has no impact on Critical hits, so it's for damage in between.  Do note that Zoma will detect too many buffs, and will counter with his freezing wave, though not everytime, so apply them immediately after.  Either go offensive or defensive, whichever you prefer.

Edited by ignasia

14 minutes ago, ignasia said:

Just beat Zoma, or do you want to also defeat Xenlon/God Dragon (Xenlon is the new official English name), the boss of the bonus dungeon?  After that, do you want to defeat full powered, no Light Orb Zoma?  That is the hardest battle in the game (and arguably the hardest DQ boss battle until DQ9's Level 99 Legacies)?

I would argue that Divinegon (or Xenlon, I just prefer the GBC era name for him cause MUH NOSTALGIA 🤪) is the hardest post game boss when not factoring in the DQ9 grotto bosses at high levels.

From my experiences with all the post game bosses that I’ve fought (can’t comment on DQ11 S’s new one since I’ve yet to fight him), Divinegon has always given me the most problems. Others like Nokturnus, God/the Almighty, Estark, and so forth have been challenging fights, but still felt doable even without crazy excess grinding. Divinegon, however, is not like that. I feel like any time I try and fight him I just struggle no matter what. I don’t know what I did back on the GBC version of the game that I managed to defeat him twice, but that’s the only version of the game I’ve had decent success with when it comes to the fight.

I think I beat him once on the SFC version, but that was sheer luck. At this point I don’t usually bother with DQ3’s postgame content because of all the terrible luck I have with that damn fight.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I would argue that Divinegon (or Xenlon, I just prefer the GBC era name for him cause MUH NOSTALGIA 🤪) is the hardest post game boss when not factoring in the DQ9 grotto bosses at high levels.

From my experiences with all the post game bosses that I’ve fought (can’t comment on DQ11 S’s new one since I’ve yet to fight him), Divinegon has always given me the most problems. Others like Nokturnus, God/the Almighty, Estark, and so forth have been challenging fights, but still felt doable even without crazy excess grinding. Divinegon, however, is not like that. I feel like any time I try and fight him I just struggle no matter what. I don’t know what I did back on the GBC version of the game that I managed to defeat him twice, but that’s the only version of the game I’ve had decent success with when it comes to the fight.

I think I beat him once on the SFC version, but that was sheer luck. At this point I don’t usually bother with DQ3’s postgame content because of all the terrible luck I have with that damn fight.

Have you ever attempted Zoma without the Light Orb?

Yes, Divine Dragon/Divinegon/Xenlon/Dragon God is definitely a rough boss battle.  He's made relatively easy though if all three compatriots have Kazing and over 150 MP.  Assuming over 180 Strength for each member, and 510+ HP, he can be taken down.  600+ HP, and you've got a nice cushion as he can dish out over 200 damage to each party member with his roll attack.  That one is definitely devastating.  Just going into that fight with normal HP and above level 50 is really rough going (so like 300's for the mages, 400~500 for your Hero + Physical class/es), as those Mages become extra squishy vs the physicals.

He kind of needs seeding, or heavy reclassing to get that magical 500+ HP naturally for even a Mage (they can hit that, but it takes manipulation of stats to the point where they're hitting their caps...Sage and Priest are easier to manage for this).

At least DQ3 makes seed farming very easy.

Of course there's also the hurdle of beating him within a certain round limit just to get his wishes.  Which makes things even harder as the first three times he's fought, win or lose, the round count requirement goes down.  35 -> 25 -> 15 (and at least it stays at 15)

Edited by ignasia

23 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I remember doing the recommendation party my first playthrough. It was the GBC version and honestly I didn’t really know about the ability to create your own party from the second floor until much later, but I was fine with my group.

Nowadays I always try out a new combination of characters whenever I return to the game. Someday I’m going to try the dreaded 3 Gadabouts playthrough and write about it here on the Den, but I can’t stomach even seriously thinking about that kind of playthrough that right now. I’ve had bad luck with the Gadabout class in DQ3 the few times I have tried it, so I’m very cautious on it.

I will say that with DQ3, I will argue the Merchant is secretly a pretty good class. While the equipment selection isn’t as vast as a Warrior, I’ve found the Merchant to be a surprisingly strong party member, especially in terms of overall HP. I used one on my first run of the SNES version and he stayed in my party from the beginning to the end. Post game I finally decided I needed to change him up, but Leonardo the Merchant was a worthwhile ally, so much that whenever I make a new male Merchant in a playthrough I always name him Leonardo.

Yeah, I'll definitely goof around with the classes in subsequent runs.

...Actually...probably when I get to the Dharma Temple